***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,613,400 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 74OA
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MeatDr said:

Two things I got from that.

1. The Ukes have balls of steel.
2. The Russians are either trying their best to sabotage their own efforts, or they're an army full of Gomer Pyles.

Again, Balls. Of. Steel.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
PJYoung
AG
After demanding payment in rubles it looks like Putin blinked.

PJYoung
AG
No Spin Ag
PJYoung said:

After demanding payment in rubles it looks like Putin blinked.

You know things keep getting worse for tinpot dictator when.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
JFABNRGR
AG
aggiehawg said:

JFABNRGR said:

Look like anti-tank mines to me with about 15 lbs of explosives each. T46s or T62s.

They certainly will destroy any personnel within the armored vehicle and likely within a 30M radius + whatever shrapnel flies.

Not sure I understand the proximity of the ones on the bridge. One vehicle will likely set off all of them. Might could have accomplished more with less and then put a billboard "BRIDGE IS MINED GTFO"
Thanks. So who put the mines there? Ukes or Russians?
No telling, both use them. Its certainly a checkpoint poorly/dangerously designed. My best guess is in Belarus or Russia just inside their border or in Ukraine in one of the russian occupied towns, based on this doesn't look like any other UKR checkpoint.

I do not think this a bridge and those are most likely live active mines, the soviet union has no shortage of them, which today includes Ukraine.

On a side note there have been reports of the russians mass laying mines especially to the east of Kiev. Sadly I suspect well see more of this all along the eastern front which will all but confirm russian objective of taking Eastern Ukraine giving them their land bridge to crimea, sucking up a bunch of good crop land, and being able to screw UKR over on the Dneiper River which has to be a huge resource.
Rossticus
Eastern Ukraine is their industrial and agricultural hub. The people saying to negotiate a deal letting Russia have it are missing the point that it would absolutely kneecap them economically and make them much more dependent on additional agricultural exports. It would still be a massive Russian victory if the came away with eastern Ukraine because of the crippling impact it would have.
Rossticus

Roll up for non-tweeters: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1509274678023573510.html
FriscoKid
AG

Oops

Edit: They literally nuked themselves
aggiehawg
AG
Several pages back when the news about the Russians being in the most contaminated zone without protective gear, I wondered how long it would take before they would manifest some symptoms.

Still, that's pretty fast.
Rossticus
Ukrainian troop morale skrong den?

Not a Bot
AG
How would you clear those mines without them going off?
CowPieAndFries
After watching those dance moves I have come to the conclusion that I must be at least part Ukrainian.
Rossticus
Ukrainian American?

TheCougarHunter
AG
FriscoKid said:

Oops

What a shame.
Waffledynamics
AG
I asked this a couple of pages back, and it seems like it got lost in the discussion. Hoping maybe it can get an answer now:

I'm seeing a lot of bridge destruction by Russia as they try to keep any gains they can. What's Ukraine's way around that so that they can continue to fight and counterattack?

I'm no expert, but I don't see how they easily get past the issue of key blown bridges along the Dneiper. They don't have the airborne or naval capabilities to bypass, at least that I've seen. Are there effective innovations in river crossings that could make all that much of a difference?
Rossticus
Note the progress on bisecting Russia's land bridge in the southeast. May partially explain Russian redeployment. Hopefully the Ukes can get additional forces there in time to maintain operational effectiveness.

Blackbeard94
AG
FriscoKid said:

Oops

Probably looting the kit that was left behind in the basement of that hospital.
Waffledynamics
AG
They're stopping the Belarusian objectors.

Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Note the progress on bisecting Russia's land bridge in the southeast. May partially explain Russian redeployment. Hopefully the Ukes can get additional forces there in time to maintain operational effectiveness.

That seems very risky, essentially putting Russians in two opposite directions from the Ukrainian forces. Hopefully it doesn't result in them getting encircled.
EMY92
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I asked this a couple of pages back, and it seems like it got lost in the discussion. Hoping maybe it can get an answer now:

I'm seeing a lot of bridge destruction by Russia as they try to keep any gains they can. What's Ukraine's way around that so that they can continue to fight and counterattack?

I'm no expert, but I don't see how they easily get past the issue of key blown bridges along the Dneiper. They don't have the airborne or naval capabilities to bypass, at least that I've seen. Are there effective innovations in river crossings that could make all that much of a difference?
Combat engineers with bridging equipment.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

That seems very risky, essentially putting Russians in two opposite directions from the Ukrainian forces. Hopefully it doesn't result in them getting encircled.

Based on this map, the risk of encirclement MAY not be as significant as it would appear in the previous map, depending on the numbers and capabilities of the respective forces. Hard to say for sure without more info.

Waffledynamics
AG
EMY92 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Combat engineers with bridging equipment.
Right, I figured as much, but would that really allow for enough to cross?

I don't know what they do in a pinch, but it wouldn't seem to me that they would be able to make a giant thoroughfare for mass troop movements. What do I know, though?
Rossticus
VDV not afraid to do a little looting. Can't take it with you, boy.

Rossticus
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Robk
FriscoKid said:

Oops

This explains the post I saw about Russians moving out of the area. Guess they decided it was a bad idea.
ATX_AG_08
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

Eastern Ukraine is their industrial and agricultural hub. The people saying to negotiate a deal letting Russia have it are missing the point that it would absolutely kneecap them economically and make them much more dependent on additional agricultural exports. It would still be a massive Russian victory if the came away with eastern Ukraine because of the crippling impact it would have.
I think eastern UKR has always been their objective this go around. Of course putin & red team swung for the fence and needed to destroy enough UKR to ensure the primary goal is achieved.
PA24
AG
Russia is getting their asses kicked and good.

I think it is over with my summer, sue for peace and accept what they had before they invaded.

Putin is a dead man walking.
amercer
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Rossticus said:

I think eastern UKR has always been their objective this go around. Of course putin & red team swung for the fence and needed to destroy enough UKR to ensure the primary goal is achieved.

Russia invaded eastern Ukraine 8 years ago. It the objective this time was to take more of it, then wasting half your forces elsewhere was monumentally stupid.
Rossticus
amercer said:

JFABNRGR said:

Rossticus said:

Russia invaded eastern Ukraine 8 years ago. It the objective this time was to take more of it, then wasting half your forces elsewhere was monumentally stupid.

If they'd surged 200k troops across the eastern border and focused on driving to the Dnieper in a blitz then this would already be over in the fashion we all originally assumed that it would and they'd likely own half the country.
GAC06
AG
I'm not so sure about that. Ukraine knew where they were massing. A lot of the reason for Russian success in the south is because Ukraine prioritized defending Kiev. Maybe they could have used Belarus as an actual feint for that
RogerEnright
Too expensive. They lost too much equipment for what they will likely get.

And what did they get? Likely years of beating down the population in the East. There is a real risk that this could become another Afghanistan for them.

Who?mikejones!
Rossticus said:

amercer said:

JFABNRGR said:

Rossticus said:

If they'd surged 200k troops across the eastern border and focused on driving to the Dnieper in a blitz then this would already be over in the fashion we all originally assumed that it would and they'd likely own half the country.

Maybe if they wouldn't have waited on China's Olympics to conclude. They gave Ukraine weeks to observe the massing on Russian troops and prepare defenses for the inevitable invasion.

China screw Russia.
First Page Last Page
Page 415 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.