***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,616,209 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossticus
MeatDr
AG
Anyone believe this? Guessing they are just trying to prevent all conscription age males from leaving the country or otherwise avoiding conscription.
dtkprowler
AG
Well since they aren't in the middle of a "War" with Ukraine, that spot probably isn't considered "Hot" to them. So, yes, I believe they believe it.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
It's a war sculpture!
crowman2010
AG
MeatDr said:

It's a war sculpture!

That there is art
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

Hilarious. CNN just posted that russian MOD stated they are significantly reducing military efforts around Kviv to better allow peace talks to continue. BS.
GarryowenAg
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Ukrainian captures a Russian infantry fighting vehicle with a Glock.

https://www.seznamzpravy.cz/clanek/zahranicni-reportaz-z-prvni-linie-pohled-do-hlavni-domobrany-a-s-pistoli-proti-tanku-195688

Quote:

We are greeted at the door by a man of about 60. Everyone calls him Grandpa, he's one of the oldest members of the unit. He was shot in 2014, and when he recovered, he came back.

The next morning, he's on guard again. "Come with me, I'll show you something," he says proudly, leading us to a Russian armoured vehicle covered with camouflage netting. "Can you take a picture of me here? And send it to my wife?" he says, proudly standing with a machine gun on his chest in front of a BVP, an infantry fighting vehicle.

It was captured a few days ago. "Njujork fought it, alone, with only a gun," Grandpa tells a story that is hard to believe. But it's filmed from a mobile phone.

The small unit approached the vehicle in the forest where the Russians had just dropped off a strike group, and the crew of the armored vehicle waited for the reconnaissance team to return. Njujork put down his submachine gun, just quickly ran across the clearing, Glock pistol in hand. He jumped onto the armored car, opened the hatch, and used the pistol to shoot the surprised soldiers inside without hesitation. The Ukrainians eventually got away with the vehicle, they had already painted it with their colours in Ajdar and planned to go out to fight in it.

"No, I am not afraid. I had a Glock and 17 brothers in it, we will beat the Russians. They can't win. Everyone is fighting here. Not for themselves, for freedom. And for Baret," Njujork declares when we ask him about Grandpa's story.

"This is the first job I really like doing," he concludes the debate.
There is a video of the capture in that article, near the bottom.
I just watched the video. Those guys pulled one person out of the hatch and pushed him into the barn out of view of the camera then a round was fired from someone. They never went back for their prisoner. I suspect that shot was a "stop resisting" shot and no prisoners were taken.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

I just watched the video. Those guys pulled one person out of the hatch and pushed him into the barn out of view of the camera then a round was fired from someone. They never went back for their prisoner. I suspect that shot was a "stop resisting" shot and no prisoners were taken.
i honestly don't care. Ukrainians are fighting for their very existence. Russians are murdering civilians, I don't care what Ukraine does with combatants. If they were pushing into Russia, that would be different, but they are defending their homes.
bonfarr
AG
MeatDr said:

It's a war sculpture!

Are all of these destroyed tanks and apcs empty and abandoned when they get hit? I would expect to see charred pieces of Russians all over that apc.
MouthBQ98
AG
Pushed out of road. Depends on what hits them, if they are just disabled, or if the internal ammunition catastrophically explodes or not.
ttu_85
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

i honestly don't care. Ukrainians are fighting for their very existence. Russians are murdering civilians, I don't care what Ukraine does with combatants. If they were pushing into Russia, that would be different, but they are defending their homes.
You should. This crap is how you get rivers of blood for decades or centuries. Think with your head and not your emotions. Could you imagine if, in our Civil War the Union and Confeds massacred their POWs. This nation would never have been put back together. This kind of blood letting helps no-one

But, but, Russia and Ukraine are different countries. Yeah only lately and they have a shared history and culture. Nothing poisons the well of the future like atrocities. Just ask China and Japan. China will always hate Japan for the Rape of NanKing. True peace between those two is all but impossible. Imagine if Sherman did to Atlanta what the Japanese did to NanKing.

This kind of insanity on both sides has to stop.
Proc92
ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

You should. This crap is how you get rivers of blood for decades or centuries. Think with your head and not your emotions. Could you imagine if, in our Civil War the Union and Confeds massacred their POWs. This nation would never have been put back together. This kind of blood letting helps no-one

But, but, Russia and Ukraine are different countries. Yeah only lately and they have a shared history and culture. Nothing poisons the well of the future like atrocities. Just ask China and Japan. China will always hate Japan for the Rape of NanKing. True peace between those to is all but impossible.
The well was already poisoned when the Russians indiscriminately bombed city centers and apartment complexes from day 1.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://historycollection.com/10-forgotten-heinous-war-crimes-american-civil-war/4/

https://www.richlandlibrary.com/catalog/detail/633029?return=/catalog?

https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitnesses-General-Shermans-Atrocities-Civil/dp/1539484106
Eliminatus
AG
ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

But, but, Russia and Ukraine are different countries. Yeah only lately and they have a shared history and culture. Nothing poisons the well of the future like atrocities. Just ask China and Japan. China will always hate Japan for the Rape of NanKing. True peace between those two is all but impossible. Imagine if Sherman did to Atlanta what the Japanese did to NanKing.

It's pretty much impossible to keep emotions out of the picture of you are on the ground fighting for your existence. Maybe true sociopaths can do it. Most can't. What you say is correct of course, but we have the luxury of being far away in our cozy homes and detached which gives us the ability to remain impartial and think "rationally".

We are but human.

This is why organized armies need strong commanders and discipline. These look like local militia though, essentially on their own. It's a tough topic and one that has raged since the first human brained another one with a rock. It's also one thing to rape and pillage civilians and another executing armed combatants in an increasingly brutal war on both sides. There are so many sliding variables at play here that we will never have a definite answer. Sometimes you play nice at war and it works. Like not sacking captured cities. Sometimes you just kill so many the other side has to stop. Think of the Plains Indians. Both have happened. Which means both are valid. Both have also failed.

Either way, I won't condemn these fellas and I won't lose any sleep. Life is tough. Even more so when you are a Russian armored vehicle crew member in Ukraine. I also have never claimed to be a saint and I sure as hell don't believe that all life is sacred. Then the fact that invaders usually set the tone of how "nice" a war is going to be. Russian has definitely set the tone here first.
GarryowenAg
AG
How do you think the Russians will react once this gets analyzed and played in a loop? The goal of conflict is to neutralize your enemy. How willing will the Russians be to surrender if they think they'll be murdered immediately afterwards? They'll become emboldened to fight harder, and possibly to the death. Law of Land Warfare has a purpose.
nortex97
AG
That looks like a scene from star wars or something.
TacosaurusRex
Eliminatus said:

ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

It's pretty much impossible to keep emotions out of the picture of you are on the ground fighting for your existence. Maybe true sociopaths can do it. Most can't. What you say is correct of course, but we have the luxury of being far away in our cozy homes and detached which gives us the ability to remain impartial and think "rationally".

We are but human.

This is why organized armies need strong commanders and discipline. These look like local militia though, essentially on their own. It's a tough topic and one that has raged since the first human brained another one with a rock. It's also one thing to rape and pillage civilians and another executing armed combatants in an increasingly brutal war on both sides. There are so many sliding variables at play here that we will never have a definite answer. Sometimes you play nice at war and it works. Like not sacking captured cities. Sometimes you just kill so many the other side has to stop. Think of the Plains Indians. Both have happened. Which means both are valid. Both have also failed.

Either way, I won't condemn these fellas and I won't lose any sleep. Life is tough. Even more so when you are a Russian armored vehicle crew member in Ukraine. I also have never claimed to be a saint and I sure as hell don't believe that all life is sacred. Then the fact that invaders usually set the tone of how "nice" a war is going to be. Russian has definitely set the tone here first.
I know there are rules to war, but when you invade, bomb, and raid my country things change. Especially if I am in a militia and I catch you, you're getting sunflower seeds in your pocket and your mother can take it up with Putin.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
Jetpilot86
AG
GarryowenAg said:

How do you think the Russians will react once this gets analyzed and played in a loop? The goal of conflict is to neutralize your enemy. How willing will the Russians be to surrender if they think they'll be murdered immediately afterwards? They'll become emboldened to fight harder, and possibly to the death. Law of Land Warfare has a purpose.
Desert faster?

Demographically, Putin sealed Russia's fate with this war.

As I see it the Uke's can easily call it the Castle Doctrine. All they are doing is Grandma Sunflower Seed's bidding.
wangus12
AG
Ukrainian Soldier with his own YT channel

Operator Starsky
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
Eliminatus
AG
MeatDr said:

It's a war sculpture!

All you need is the right canvas!

Who knew Russian BMPs would be able to turn into such works?

For real though, that thing is split open. Maybe a BMP-1 and not a 2? They had a 73mm cannon that may have cooked off? The BMP2 only has a 30mm but I think has capacity for antitank missiles. Can't tell. Fun fact: a cooked off AT4 in a burning humvee is what ended my war in Afghanistan. So I can see it happening if it was a BMP2.
TexasAggie_02
AG
MeatDr said:

so this is the "russian warship go **** yourself" guy?

I thought everyone on that little island was shelled, didn't realize there were any survivors.
wangus12
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

MeatDr said:

so this is the "russian warship go **** yourself guy?"

I thought everyone on that little island was shelled, didn't realize there were any survivors.
I think it was shelled and everyone said they died. Then news came out like a week later that they'd been captured.

I believe there was a prisoner swap here in the last couple days and the Snake Island guys were returned to Ukraine.
Get Off My Lawn
TacosaurusRex said:

Eliminatus said:

ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

We are but human.

I know there are rules to war, but when you invade, bomb, and raid my country things change. Especially if I am in a militia and I catch you, you're getting sunflower seeds in your pocket and your mother can take it up with Putin.
As garryowenag said - unbridled bloodlust impairs things up to the strategic level.

In the COIN world there was talk about the strategic corporal: the idea that good and bad individual deeds have ripple effects. Well, in this social media war, the same holds true. Every instance of this type can be used by Russia to make their rank&file MORE willing to fight brutally to the death.
TexasAggie_02
AG
awesome, I missed that update
VarkAg77
AG
ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

You are exactly right. And I find it hard to believe we are even debating this.

Committing atrocities against unarmed, helpless, non-combatants is the same as massacring civilians.

Both are unacceptable to a civilized armed force, and society.
Waffledynamics
AG
Keep in mind, gents, that you don't know what happened when the Russian was pushed into the barn. Was he executed in cold blood? Possibly. Did he draw his sidearm and get quickly dispatched? Also possible.

The video leaves too much to the imagination, which is a problem for either side.

ETA: Either way, I don't see it being used strongly by the Russians. Imagine showing your soldiers and your country that some dude with a handgun dunked on an infantry fighting vehicle.
aTmAg
AG
Reminder: Russia invade Ukraine
TacosaurusRex
Waffledynamics said:

Keep in mind, gents, that you don't know what happened when the Russian was pushed into the barn. Was he executed in cold blood? Possibly. Did he draw his sidearm and get quickly dispatched? Also possible.

The video leaves too much to the imagination, which is a problem for either side.

Either way, I don't see it being used strongly by the Russians. Imagine showing your soldiers and your country that so.e dude with a handgun dunked on an infantry fighting vehicle.
I apologize for replying to this thread with non-tactical information. I vote we move on and drop this and get this thread back to as close to factual information as possible. Thank you to all the guys putting in the time to bring all the information to one place.
txags92
AG
VarkAg77 said:

ttu_85 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

You are exactly right. And I find it hard to believe we are even debating this.

Committing atrocities against unarmed, helpless, non-combatants is the same as massacring civilians.

Both are unacceptable to a civilized armed force, and society.
Again, you are comparing the actions of government directed troops deliberately committing atrocities to the emotional reaction of locals who got their hands on somebody invading and destroying their country. Nobody here is advocating that the Uke military issue orders to summarily execute all POWs. But we can understand the visceral reaction a local militia might have if they got their hands on somebody who had been shelling the homes of their friends and family the day before. The emotionally driven actions of locals reacting to the brutality inflicted upon their civilian population by Russian troops is not the same as Russian commanders ordering the shelling of civilian shelters and residential buildings. Organized troops should always keep themselves under control, but I am not going to pretend from my comfy chair that I could be that controlled if I were a militiaman defending my hometown against an invading force that was destroying it.
First Page Last Page
Page 406 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.