***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,625,507 Views | 47858 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by B-1 83
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting thread from Tom Nichols, on why Russia is acting the way it is.
MeatDr
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG

aezmvp
I think this is 100% accurate. They're going to adjust their operational goals to take the southern two Oblasts along with as much of Donetsk and Luhansk as they can get and trade their held land for the other pieces that they don't hold.
lb3
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Talking about moving goalposts.

Here is the translation:
Quote:

The possibility of storming the cities blocked in Ukraine is not ruled out, but the main goal of the Russian military is the complete liberation of Donbass, said Sergey Rudskoy, head of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces.

According to him, Russia did not initially plan to storm these cities in order to "prevent destruction and minimize losses among personnel and civilians."

"Although we do not exclude such a possibility, however, as individual groupings complete the tasks set, and they are successfully solved, our forces and means will be concentrated on the main thing - the complete liberation of Donbass," Rudskoy said.

Military operation in Ukraine. Online
Politics
He added that Russia was considering two options for conducting a special operation: within the borders of the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics, enshrined in their constitutions, or throughout Ukraine. However, in the first case, the Ukrainian authorities would constantly feed their military group, "involved in the so-called operation of the combined forces," said the head of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff.

"Therefore, the second option was chosen, providing for actions throughout the territory of Ukraine with the implementation of measures for its demilitarization and denazification," he said.

According to Rudsky, "the course of the operation" confirmed that the decision was correct. "[The special operation] is being carried out by the General Staff in strict accordance with the approved plan," he added.

According to the head of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff, from the beginning of the special operation, the Russian military blocked Kyiv, as well as the cities of Kharkov, Chernihiv, Sumy and Nikolaev. Under full control are Kherson and most of the Zaporozhye region, he added.

Russia launched a military special operation a month ago, on February 24th. President Vladimir Putin said that Russia was forced to take such a step by creating a "real threat" near its borders. He called the goals of the special operation the denazification and demilitarization of Ukraine, as well as the protection of the civilian population of Donbass from "genocide" by the Ukrainian authorities.

Ukraine broke off diplomatic relations with Russia after the start of the special operation. On February 24, martial law was declared in the country. Later, President Volodymyr Zelensky extended it until April 25.

:
https://www-rbc-ru.translate.goog/politics/25/03/2022/623dbdcc9a79476daf5857fa?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

FriscoKid
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

At this point I think I would agree to that and put political pressure on them to give it up later. The "Russians" in those regions hate Russia now anyways. Good luck even occupying that little region (much less all of Ukraine which will never happen)

...And, at this point the Russians should do this sooner rather than later before their army is dead.
GAC06
AG
If that's the official stance then I'm happy to see an off-ramp instead of continued escalation
MeatDr
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG

More internal push back on the side of the Russians.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr said:

Actually this may be the same guy we heard about yesterday.
Waffledynamics
AG
MeatDr said:

I'm going to need more verification than "a western official said". If this is actually happening, along with that one soldier that drove a tank up and surrendered to the Ukrainians, then that is a major indicator of where Russian morale is.
aezmvp
MeatDr said:

MeatDr said:

Actually this may be the same guy we heard about yesterday.
Same one.
Mule
AG
Selfless Service

Texas Aggies
Ciboag96
After ol' Vlad's pipelines stop running, his economy is wrecked, and the final bills are tallied, he'll realize that the Donbas area was the most expensive real estate transaction in the entire solarverse. He could've probably populated Mars for less.
Ag In Ok
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Until Mariupol falls, they probably still see nazis. They won't stop till that is done.
Bulldog73
AG
MeatDr said:

I would not like to be at the command level in Ukraine if I were in the Russian army right now. Those guys appear to have a lower life expectancy than the trigger pullers. Gotta believe Uke intelligence has been very successfully targeting them for missile and artillery strikes. Add being fragged by their own to the picture and they have to be sleeping with their eyes open.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

At this point I think I would agree to that and put political pressure on them to give it up later. The "Russians" in those regions hate Russia now anyways. Good luck even occupying that little region (much less all of Ukraine which will never happen)
Was just thinking the same. How well will they be able to "hold" it?
ATX_AG_08
AG
This is supposedly him after getting his legs run over.

74OA
AG
Ag In Ok said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Until Mariupol falls, they probably still see nazis. They won't stop till that is done.
Ukraine can't let Mariupol fall.

If it does, Putin gets the land bridge from Russia to Crimea he's wanted, and Ukraine is denied access to the Sea of Azov.

If he achieves that strategic prize, he'll never relinquish it.
GAC06
AG
Crimea was already connected to Russia by land
74OA
AG
GAC06 said:

Crimea was already connected to Russia by land
That bridge over the Kerch Strait is far too fragile of a connection as far as Putin is concerned.
LMCane
Reports that General Rezantsev based out of Kerson was killed.

that would make 6 General officers taken out by the Ukes:

The action will be over soon
Rossticus
JFABNRGR
AG
The Ukes clearly have the initiative at the moment and If I was Zelensky, I am pushing the russians all the way back to russia. If there happens to be some piece of dirt I didn't want anyway, I might concede that along with some other bs concessions.

He did not lay out specifics of what Liberate means and this lays some rhetoric groundwork, to later being able to tell their own russian people that the nazis were all killed and we have been able to bring our enslaved people back home. This allows them to save face (in their own minds) and allows them to negotiate release of sanctions in exchange for leaving Ukraine intact. This of course assumes they continue getting pushed back and are running out of long range weapons.

RebelE Infantry
AG
74OA said:

Ag In Ok said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Ukraine can't let Mariupol fall.

If it does, Putin gets the land bridge from Russia to Crimea he's wanted, and Ukraine is denied access to the Sea of Azov.

If he achieves that strategic prize, he'll never relinquish it.

Looking like a foregone conclusion at this point. Russians are steadily advancing block by block. They captured the city administration building yesterday and have just about split the pocket of defenders in two. Kiev has been pretty clear that no attempt to break the siege will be made. Which is convenient for the administration because they benefit from the defenders tying up Russian troops for a while and their Azov optics problem gets solved.

Rossticus
ATX_AG_08
AG
Died on Tuesday.

Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if Russia starts moving more assets to the southeast since their invasion of Kyiv has failed. They probably thought they could roll through Ukraine and take both but their main objective was taking the Donbas region. From the maps Ukraine will have to put on a significant counter offensive to take back Mariupol
aezmvp
So my updated scorecard is 8 generals, 16 colonels, 15 lt. colonels and 16 majors. 55 field grade officers dead in a month. That's just a brutal loss to an officer corps. For reference 20 US generals died in the whole of WWII.
Waffledynamics
AG
Why is Russia so much more successful in the Donbas? I wonder if the Ukes will counterattack there and take it back.
P.U.T.U
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Why is Russia so much more successful in the Donbas? I wonder if the Ukes will counterattack there and take it back.
I think the ability for them to use ships as they have bombed the living heck out of the area and then their marines moved in. They also have the ability to supply the region by land and sea, as you saw in the north their logistics was cut off since it was land only
Waffledynamics
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Waffledynamics said:

I think the ability for them to use ships as they have bombed the living heck out of the area and then their marines moved in. They also have the ability to supply the region by land and sea, as you saw in the north their logistics was cut off since it was land only
Is that ship advantage really still there in Donetsk and Luhansk? I can see that in places like Mariupol, but much of the region would seem (to my non-expert knowledge) out of effective range.
wangus12
AG
Rossticus said:

Does he not have more important things do?
aggiehawg
AG

Is he saying he's sending troops?
First Page Last Page
Page 388 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.