***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,624,646 Views | 47856 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by mallen
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Ogre09 said:

Use of nukes would lead to wide scale nuclear war, no?
This is a huge unknown. If he conventionally attacks NATO, we attack.
If he uses a nuke on NATO, we nuke.
If he uses a single nuke on a Ukrainian city as a demonstration to break their will...that could be a red line. NATO hasn't said one way or another. We probably don't want to give Putin a motive to try and call our bluff on something.

This is the double edged sword of US's nuclear stockpile. We don't have tactical nukes. Its either conventional warfare or city leveling weapons.

My bet if Putin uses a tactical nuke in Ukraine, NATO will get drawn into the conflict in a conventional matter. Russia using another nuke would get all of Russia glassed over and that means American cities as collateral damage as well.

I also would expect Russian soldiers to refuse to use it and they have to sift through and find a zealot who would. There would probably be internal assassinations to prevent its use.
74OA
AG
Concern grows over potential use of chem-bio weapons by Russia.

WMD
FriscoKid
AG

Page 321 of this thread would be a good read right about now.
Dorm 15
AG
Quote:

We don't have tactical nukes.
I wasn't aware of that.
Bird Poo
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Ag In Ok said:

I thought the US corroborated one of the take downs of the big transport jets.

They may have said that, but not one shred of actual evidence has been put forward. And we have pictures of everything from downed helicopters to dang near every time a Russian private loses his pocket knife. And yet not a single photo of giant transport plane wreckage or hundreds of bodies strewn about the countryside. Odd, no?
NATO disagrees with you.
USAFAg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Ogre09 said:

If he uses a single nuke on a Ukrainian city as a demonstration to break their will...that could be a red line. NATO hasn't said one way or another. We probably don't want to give Putin a motive to try and call our bluff on something.

This is the double edged sword of US's nuclear stockpile. We don't have tactical nukes. Its either conventional warfare or city leveling weapons.

My bet if Putin uses a tactical nuke in Ukraine, NATO will get drawn into the conflict in a conventional matter. Russia using another nuke would get all of Russia glassed over and that means American cities as collateral damage as well.

I also would expect Russian soldiers to refuse to use it and they have to sift through and find a zealot who would. There would probably be internal assassinations to prevent its use.

We actually do. The B-61. Have about 200-300. Nothing like we used to have and needs to be air-launched/dropped. But do have tact nukes.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
crowman2010
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Um, I don't think this is accurate
Raiderjay
yeah we didn't have stealth aircraft either, until we did.....
P.U.T.U
AG
Yup, we have B61s in 5 European countries including Turkey, not sure they would be happy about us shooting one out of their country now though
Not a Bot
AG
Haven't seen this posted anywhere.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-ministry-defense-sergei-shoigu-missing-no-public-appearances-12-days

Shoigu hasn't been seen in almost two weeks. He's the head of the Russian Ministry of Defense.
torrid
AG
74OA said:

That's surreal, like a reporter at the National Weather Service getting an update on the location of a hurricane.
Ulysses90
AG
Dorm 15 said:

Quote:

I wasn't aware of that.
Well, only if you don't count the 1750 W-80 Mod 1 warheads with 5-150kt yield that are employed in ALCMs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W80_(nuclear_warhead)
fka ftc
"In 1991, the United States and Soviet Union both withdrew from deployment most and eliminated

from their arsenals many of their nonstrategic nuclear weapons. The United States now has,
according to unclassified estimates, approximately 230 nonstrategic nuclear weapons, with
around 100 deployed with aircraft in Europe and the remaining stored in the United States.
Estimates vary, but experts believe Russia still has between 1,000 and 2,000 warheads for
nonstrategic nuclear weapons in its arsenal. Some experts argue, however that Russia seems to
have increased its reliance on nuclear weapons in its national security concept."

From a March 7th, 2022 Congressional Research Report to Congress.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

There are rumors that Shoigu is in poor health and is experiencing heart problems, while other messages are swirling online suggest Shoigu might have been fired from the ministry and is on house arrest, according to Russian journalists. Fox News has not yet independently verified these allegations.
As in...not beating anymore?
fka ftc
Echoing other posts indicating we don't have something until we do, I do not think even the progressives have been able to overcome the military machine.

We may have reduced our nonstrategic nuclear stockpile only to be replaced by newer technology that will only be seen when the cover comes off unintentionally or has to come off to support our arsenal.
GAC06
AG
Been through this before. B61 is both a tactical and strategic nuke and can be dropped by a variety of fighters

Oops I see someone beat me to it last page. Although it's come up repeatedly
Ulysses90
AG
I was only speaking of the W80-1 derivative which seems to be only used on cruise missiles.

http://www.nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/W80.html
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/B61.html
Rosstafari
74OA
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

There are rumors that Shoigu is in poor health and is experiencing heart problems, while other messages are swirling online suggest Shoigu might have been fired from the ministry and is on house arrest, according to Russian journalists. Fox News has not yet independently verified these allegations.
As in...not beating anymore?
Watching as the army you built fails while being gutted by an inferior opponent would give any general a heart attack.
RebelE Infantry
AG
PearlJammin said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Ag In Ok said:

They may have said that, but not one shred of actual evidence has been put forward. And we have pictures of everything from downed helicopters to dang near every time a Russian private loses his pocket knife. And yet not a single photo of giant transport plane wreckage or hundreds of bodies strewn about the countryside. Odd, no?
NATO disagrees with you.

My statement stands. Until there's any sort of photographic confirmation, it goes is the BS folder with Ghost of Kiev, Snake Island, Holocaust Memorial bombing, etc
W
AG
Ukraine's propaganda has been outstanding since day 1 of the war
one MEEN Ag
AG
USA*** said:

one MEEN Ag said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Ogre09 said:

We actually do. The B-61. Have about 200-300. Nothing like we used to have and needs to be air-launched/dropped. But do have tact nukes.
With your username I will defer to you, but when I think of 'tactical nukes' I think of the Davy Crockett and it being man portable. I guess my definition of tactical nukes is overly narrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

The B-61 can be set up to be super tiny bomb or 300+kiloton. The issue with using that as a tactical nuke is that your opponent doesn't know your yield or can discern it before you drop your bombs. It just looks like a bomber on the radar that has the ability to drop city leveling nukes. Which means its mere presence could trigger a full scale nuclear response.

I always thought the purpose of 'tactical nukes' was that you could telegraph that you're not trying to take out cities and so it needed to look different than bombs that did. Granted, never served in the military. Just a mechanical engineer.
aezmvp
RebelE Infantry said:

PearlJammin said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Ag In Ok said:

NATO disagrees with you.

My statement stands. Until there's any sort of photographic confirmation, it goes is the BS folder with Ghost of Kiev, Snake Island, Holocaust Memorial bombing, etc
i agree here. Probably would have seen wreckage unless it was at an airport but that was never indicated. Not saying it didn't but probably should wait for confirmation.
BlueSmoke
W said:

Weaponized hope can be a powerful thing!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
74OA
AG
W said:

Gotta keep your friends motivated and your enemy discouraged.
Ag In Ok
AG
Russian MOD admits over 10k KIA. Real number likely north of that - how far north we don't know. But if they are 2x to 3x casualties, that's a third or half of the trigger pullers (though not all KIA pulled a trigger). Incredible numbers, truly.
MeatDr
AG
Some follow up on yesterday's good news!
74OA
AG
MeatDr said:

Some follow up on yesterday's good news!

BACKGROUND
74OA
AG
Another indicator that Russia is running low on PGMs. NAVY
No Spin Ag
W said:

They just keep beating Putin at everything he thought he was good at. God bless the Ukes.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
MeatDr
AG
74OA
AG
MeatDr said:

Having watched the Russians bumble a straight-forward conventional attack, I'm not sure their incompetence doesn't extend to chem-bio weapons, as well.

High probability that the Russian army suffers as much as the Ukrainians if special weapons are released. I doubt their invasion force, which expected a cakewalk, came equipped and ready to operate in a contaminated environment.

If I'm the Russian general staff, I'm saying "nooooo!" to Putin on this one.

WMD
No Spin Ag
MeatDr said:

One tiny man's ego is destroying two countries, and in the end it'll be his that suffers the hardest and longest.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Charpie
AG
MeatDr
AG
This is great news! A huge push.

Yesterday the estimate was 20-30 km away.
First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.