***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,629,815 Views | 47859 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by 74OA
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been mentioned a couple days ago, but some visual confirmation.
aggiehawg
AG
Confused. Northern Fleet? Are they reinforcing with troops that were supposed to be used for an amphibious landing?
No Spin Ag
74OA said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Germany, Belgium, Romania, Italy, Poland, Norway and Sweden have all pledged to increase defense spending since Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Not sure Putin counted on that.
First he lost control of the narrative, now he has lost control of the consequences.

Well said.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

Ogre09 said:

Seems like a l lot of the shelling of coastal cities is coming from Russian ships. Any kind of anti-ship weapons that could be deployed to counter that?
Neptune anti ship missile..

Give those to them.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
samurai_science
No Spin Ag said:

74OA said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Germany, Belgium, Romania, Italy, Poland, Norway and Sweden have all pledged to increase defense spending since Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Not sure Putin counted on that.
First he lost control of the narrative, now he has lost control of the consequences.

Well said.
It wont last, they have social programs to fund.
TRM
AG
Another officer bites the dust.
ttu_85
VitruvianAg said:

VaultingChemist said:

Handling large numbers of Russian POWs. Not a logistics problem most would have foreseen at this point.
Pretty sure the polish would be pleased to provide guest services.
From a pay perspective maybe but Poland has 2 million Uke civies to take care of as it is. I hope we and the rest of NATO are providing Poland with the assistance, food, material, to deal with the humanitarian aspect of this crises. A lot has fallen on Polish shoulders. We need to step up and help.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Handling large numbers of Russian POWs. Not a logistics problem most would have foreseen at this point.

They all heroically fought to the death.
TRM
AG
Trying to rebuild a unit near Finland so they can send the 80th down to Ukraine.
Htownag11
AG
ttu_85 said:

VitruvianAg said:

VaultingChemist said:

Pretty sure the polish would be pleased to provide guest services.
From a pay perspective maybe but Poland has 2 million Uke civies to take care of as it is. I hope we and the rest of NATO are providing Poland with the assistance, food, material, to deal with the humanitarian aspect of this crises. A lot has fallen on Polish shoulders. We need to step up and help.
I bet we could spare them a room in GITMO
Squadron7
AG
TRM said:

Another officer bites the dust.

Russian uniforms look like they come from a Peter Sellers movie.
aggiehawg
AG
TRM said:

Trying to rebuild a unit near Finland so they can send the 80th down to Ukraine.
Thanks.

Wow, I was way off. Saying I was confused was an understatement.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Rosstafari
Let's GOOOOOOO!

aggiehawg
AG
Turkey shoot time.
cone
AG
the autopsy of this deal is going to be unbelievable

China has to be completely furious at how unprepared RU was in this
Ag In Ok
AG
TRM said:

Damn, that's next to their border with a NATO country, Norway.
Seems to me that we are clearly in the missile age, and STOL aircraft are critical. Every Eastern European nation must practice highway operations and look more closely into short take off and landing capabilities. F35Bs need to pick up in development and production.
WesMaroon&White
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

VaultingChemist said:

I would have all the Russian mothers tour several sieged cities and destroyed Russian convoys on the way to pick up their sons. Talk about changing the narrative at home.
Ag In Ok
AG
And whoever leads the Chinese military grade tire plant is about to fall in the shower. On some bullets.
ABATTBQ11
AG
WesMaroon&White said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

VaultingChemist said:

I would have all the Russian mothers tour several sieged cities and destroyed Russian convoys on the way to pick up their sons' dead bodies. Talk about changing the narrative at home.

FIFY
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
cone said:

the autopsy of this deal is going to be unbelievable

China has to be completely furious at how unprepared RU was in this

And how Russia handed Taiwan the playbook of how to defeat an invading force that should have no business being defeated through the use of NLAWs and MANPADs, etc
cone
AG
so China, the world's leading manufacturer of cheap mass-produced ****, is your benefactor and economic support pole. they've been briefed in advance of war aims and time table.

and yet you go into battle without modern medical supplies and sufficient supply of MREs, all of which could have been supplied by China no problem

ridiculous planning
G Martin 87
AG
Ag In Ok said:

TRM said:

Damn, that's next to their border with a NATO country, Norway.
Seems to me that we are clearly in the missile age, and STOL aircraft are critical. Every Eastern European nation must practice highway operations and look more closely into short take off and landing capabilities. F35Bs need to pick up in development and production.
Sweden has emphasized the ability to operate aircraft from highways for decades. Their Draken, Viggen, and Gripen fighter/bombers were/are outstanding aircraft specifically designed for this.
cone
AG
true

but IMO the key here has been morale

RU morale didn't seem high at the start and must be complete and utter dog**** now

I actually don't think morale will be a problem for the Chinese army. I bet they've got the PLA flying higher than Wehrmacht 1938. they'll accept losses.

i am curious if Taiwan has a charismatic leader that would stay and fight even if China set a beachhead.

but there is no doubt whatsoever that Beijing is having to do some hardcore recalculating given the change in Western resolve

they were all betting on Ukraine falling in 72 hours.
cone
AG
my first thought this morning after reading the RU casualty numbers (which are staggering)

sending in Belarus isn't going to change anything

Putin absolutely has to kill Zelensky
ATX_AG_08
AG
cone
AG
that reported message of refusal to evacuate by Zelensky feels like a hinge moment
ttu_85
cone said:

so China, the world's leading manufacturer of cheap mass-produced ****, is your benefactor and economic support pole. they've been briefed in advance of war aims and time table.

and yet you go into battle without modern medical supplies and sufficient supply of MREs, all of which could have been supplied by China no problem

ridiculous planning
Its called arrogance and underestimating your enemy. And its true Chinese tires used by the Russians ended up being a Uke blessing in disguise.

Let this be a lesson never buy Chinese tires or cars.
cone
AG
i think we also overrate Chinese intelligence services

they took on a bet but didn't vet war readiness
ABATTBQ11
AG
Belarus already has enough problems. They were pretty pissed at Lukashenko's blatant election fraud, and many of them hate Russia for propping him up. Take the army out of the equation and Lukashenko may have an uprising in his hands with no one to put it down.

If Belarus enters the war, maybe the Ukrainians should arm the Belarusian opposition with NATO's weapons.
Rosstafari
Rosstafari
Flying Crowbar
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Belarus already has enough problems. They were pretty pissed at Lukashenko's blatant election fraud, and many of them hate Russia for propping him up. Take the army out of the equation and Lukashenko may have an uprising in his hands with no one to put it down.

If Belarus enters the war, maybe the Ukrainians should arm the Belarusian opposition with NATO's captured Russian weapons.
FIFY
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Nearly a month into the fighting, one of the biggest surprises of the war in Ukraine is Russia's failure to defeat the Ukrainian Air Force. Military analysts had expected Russian forces to quickly destroy or paralyze Ukraine's air defenses and military aircraft, yet neither have happened. Instead, Top Gun-style aerial dogfights, rare in modern warfare, are now raging above the country.

"Every time when I fly, it's for a real fight," said Andriy, who is 25 and has flown 10 missions in the war. "In every fight with Russian jets, there is no equality. They always have five times more" planes in the air.

Dave Deptula, a senior scholar at the U.S. Air Force Academy and the principal attack planner for the Desert Storm air campaign in Iraq, said the impressive performance of the Ukrainian pilots had helped counter their disadvantages in numbers. He said Ukraine now has roughly 55 operational fighter jets, a number that is dwindling from shoot-downs and mechanical failures, as Ukrainian pilots are "stressing them to max performance."…

"I had situations when I was approaching a Russian plane to a close enough distance to target and fire," he said. "I could already detect it but was waiting for my missile to lock on while at the same time from the ground they tell me that a missile was fired at me already."

He said he maneuvered his jet through a series of extreme banks, dives and climbs in order to exhaust the fuel supplies of the missiles coming after him. "The time I have to save myself depends on how far away the missile was fired at me and what kind of missile," he said.

Still, he said in an interview on a clear, sunny day, "I can still feel a huge rush of adrenaline in my body because every flight is a fight."
Link

Good on them.
First Page Last Page
Page 372 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.