***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,631,687 Views | 47861 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by B-1 83
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
nortex97
AG
Russian helo pilots, whether just scared to get too close or intending to terrorize Ukrainian forces/civilians, just spraying unguided rockets on a parabolic trajectory now.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
G Martin 87
AG
Eliminatus said:

n_touch said:

Robk said:

Interesting read.

I hated the amount of PMCS we did. That thread should be shown to all soldiers. That broke it down great
It's a fantastic read for those who don't know about this level of logistics and a great reminder for those who do. One thing he absolutely nailed in my experience is how hard troops are on their vehicles in wartime conditions. We drove ours into the dirt and mistreated them in every way possible, in conditions that are already not ideal in the first place. We had a dedicated mechanic attached to our platoon and I have never met a harder worker person in my entire life. He simply had to just to keep us barely functional because we broke just about everything possible.

TLDR; Trucks require a stupid amount of maintenance AND discipline to do it in wartime. Russia has neither, demonstrably, and it is costing them and will continue to cost them.

It's spot on IMO as well.
This is amazing to see. Many lessons in warfare are slow to be learned, if ever. You'd think the Russians would have learned this one, though. One of the most valuable pieces of equipment we sent them during WWII was trucks, not obsolete aircraft and old ships. Soviet trucks were crap. American trucks were the best in the world and were vital to keep their offensives moving. Fortunately for the Ukes, the Russians forgot how sexy military trucks are.
sclaff
AG

Belarusian railways sabotaged by Belarusian opposition

sclaff
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Watch this all the way to the very end, with sound. Promise you won't regret it.

Bird Poo
AG
Doing whatever they can to keep morale high? Yes it's goofy but that is the point. You have to stay human during war and this is their way?
Not a Bot
AG

Take this with a huge grain of salt.
Not a Bot
AG
BD88
AG
Please be true…

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Did you hear him fire off two rounds with his pistol near the end of the video and the guy on the left (presumably in charge) looks over at him like, "WTF?" and then motions "ok, the end" ?

I'm not upset with them, I'm noting that even in the middle of a war, people are human, and there's still a sense of decorum.
BD88
AG

pv
This supersonic missile change anything with us and the rest of the democracies on Ukraine's side here in free world?
mwp02ag
AG
BD88 said:

Please be true…

I just watched Narcos Mexico last night where our guys used rumor and simply parking in front of one of the houses to get a dude paranoid and he simply fled right to a plane we controlled. Lord I pray we be so lucky again!
G Martin 87
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Not completely clear which you're referring to. The original hypersonic missile story? Or the purported debunking you posted above?
74OA
AG
Captain Positivity said:

DOUBT
G Martin 87
AG
74OA said:

Captain Positivity said:

DOUBT
This is a really great point.
Quote:

But considering air defenses were clearly a reason to use such a high-end capability to hit the weapons bunker, it further begs the question of how a lowly Orlan-10 unmanned aerial vehicle managed to get over the supposed target area to film the attack.
LOL
No Spin Ag
I was watching a guy who was in the military on YouTube saying that we haven't given the Ukes our more advanced weapons yet.

For those who know, what types of weapons do we have that are even more powerful and effective than what we've given, because it seems as if what we've given is very effective already.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
neAGle96
AG
BD88 said:

Please be true…

While replacing Putin would likely increase the chances of negotiating an end to this war, replacing one former KGB officer turned dictator with another KGB/FSB officer, is just rearranging the deck chairs.

Ag In Ok
AG
BD88 said:

Please be true…

Not sure how one improves in going from an former KGB guy to another former KGB guy. Who was also in the first guys inner circle. Unless Putin is dead, how will anyone know who really is in charge?
They need a Gorbachev right now.
McInnis 03
AG
BD88 said:

Please be true…

This is how Ukraine gets rid of Aleksandr
amercer
AG
Anything that gets Russia out of Ukraine (without nukes being fired) is a huge win. Russia is going to be a third world country when this is done, so the next guy will be too busy with the dumpster fire to cause trouble in Europe.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Is that from some kind of Uke tank? Incredible footage. Brutal.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ag In Ok said:

BD88 said:

Please be true…

Not sure how one improves in going from an former KGB guy to another former KGB guy. Who was also in the first guys inner circle. Unless Putin is dead, how will anyone know who really is in charge?
They need a Gorbachev right now.

If they push him out mid-term, he's likely thrown to the wolves
JFABNRGR
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Is that from some kind of Uke tank? Incredible footage. Brutal.

Holy **** 30MM flying over your shoulder and impacting a target less than 50 yards in front of you. More typical of COD warfare. At least there wearing ear pro.

I think its an armored personnel carrier BTR variant. Wheeled.
lb3
AG
Captain Positivity said:

People were asking if this was more reminiscent of 1979 or 1914.

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Here is a chapter on their construction.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/Ch2.htm#s5
No Spin Ag
PearlJammin said:

Doing whatever they can to keep morale high? Yes it's goofy but that is the point. You have to stay human during war and this is their way?
Exactly, and when you remember that so many of them are kids in their 20s, why shouldn't they have some fun when they get the chance.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Waffledynamics
AG
lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Surely modern warfare makes trenches much less effective in the past, right? This does not seem like a conflict that has rewarded static positions, big targets, and Russian stubbornness so far, if my amateur mind can tell.
sclaff
AG
McInnis 03 said:

BD88 said:

Please be true…

This is how Ukraine gets rid of Aleksandr
No more Pootin problem, but Ivan Awfulich now
lb3
AG
Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

Surely modern warfare makes trenches much less effective in the past, right? This does not seem like a conflict that has rewarded static positions, big targets, and Russian stubbornness so far, if my amateur mind can tell.
These aren't trenches. If your convoy is 'stuck' for two days you dig holes to provide protection from direct and more importantly in this conflict, indirect fire.

We haven't seen much of this in the past 20 years fighting insurgencies but I distinctly remember seeing footage of Marines on the way to Baghdad sleeping on the ground in shallow holes. I suspect they hated their company commander making them dig every time they stopped but it's good practice even when the enemy isn't expected to assault your position.
Waffledynamics
AG
lb3 said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

These aren't trenches. If your convoy is 'stuck' for two days you dig holes to provide protection from direct and more importantly in this conflict, indirect fire.

We haven't seen much of this in the past 20 years fighting insurgencies but I distinctly remember seeing footage of Marines on the way to Baghdad sleeping on the ground in shallow holes. I suspect they hated their company commander making them dig every time they stopped but it's good practice even when the enemy isn't expected to assault your position.

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering something I saw elsewhere/earlier in the thread. I thought I had seen something more extensive than these holes.
TXAggie2011
AG
The eastern/Donbas front has essentially been trench warfare for a long time. Russians on other fronts have been stalled for more than 2 days and will continue to be stalled.

I'm not anticipating we're going to end up full blown Western Front, but this is starting to shift beyond temporary sleeping holes as Russia tries to consolidate territorial gains. They'll politically and physically attempt terrorize civilians behind their lines and bombard those in front of their lines.
lb3
AG
Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering something I saw elsewhere/earlier in the thread. I thought I had seen something more extensive than these holes.
Donbas province where the war has been smoldering for the past 8 years most definitely has resorted to trench warfare. But that conflict was mostly limited to small arms with lots of snipers on each side.
First Page Last Page
Page 360 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.