***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,407 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by LMCane
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

I don't understand the criticism of Turkey as much. Haven't they been supplying drones?

But also declining to stop doing business with Russia, so they're sort of squishy.
Rossticus
Rossticus
ATX_AG_08
AG
Rossticus
javajaws
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

I don't understand the criticism of Turkey as much. Haven't they been supplying drones?
Yes they have. And also, there was a Ukrainian company (Ivchenko-Progress) that was supposed to supply engines for the new Baykar "Kizilelma" drone. Not sure if/how that will work out now.

PJYoung
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
Rossticus
fooz

JFABNRGR
AG
https://t.me/conflictzone/21053

Russian strike via drone direct or targeting on ammo/supply trans/dump in Chernihiv which is sadly going to hamper Ukrainian war effort.

How about no fly zone for russian drones?
Can we get them blown out of the sky without scaring us into WW3 and what weapons would we use or give to UKR to use?
ATX_AG_08
AG
fooz
JFABNRGR said:

Russian strike via drone direct or targeting on ammo/supply trans/dump in Chernihiv which is sadly going to hamper Ukrainian war effort.

Can we get them blown out of the sky without scaring us into WW3 and what weapons would we use or give to UKR to use?
That looks like some type of fuel burning.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
JFABNRGR said:

There's no grey area with a no-fly zone. If it flies, it dies. We can't give Ukraine more than we've already given them. The equipment required to increase their control over airspace is specialized and has classified elements. You can't just drop it off the back of a C-130 and say "good luck".
ATX_AG_08
AG
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

I'm starting to think that "Hold My Beer" is part of Ukraine's tactical strategy.
Tramp96
Wrec86 Ag said:

Rossticus said:

Want.

I mean, there are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of issues with this both morally and legally......

But how far into the future do we have to go until you and I can safely sit in our living room controlling a remote control sniper rifle in Kiev shooting Russian soldiers ?

Like Call of Duty but for real.

If it's purely for defense, I'm curious what are the legalities?

As a defender, don't I have the right to use all means possible to defend my home/life/city? I realize that old adage of "all is fair in love and war" isn't actually true, but in terms of defending yourself, is there really an issue of fairness, morality, or legality? You're not the invader, you're the defender.
ATX_AG_08
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
DCPD158
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Command vehicle?
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
ATX_AG_08
AG
Could be. First time I've seen anything reported of Russians with night optics. Glad they're getting a new home.
PJYoung
AG
lb3
AG
Tramp96 said:

Wrec86 Ag said:

Rossticus said:

Want.

I mean, there are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of issues with this both morally and legally......

But how far into the future do we have to go until you and I can safely sit in our living room controlling a remote control sniper rifle in Kiev shooting Russian soldiers ?

Like Call of Duty but for real.

If it's purely for defense, I'm curious what are the legalities?

As a defender, don't I have the right to use all means possible to defend my home/life/city? I realize that old adage of "all is fair in love and war" isn't actually true, but in terms of defending yourself, is there really an issue of fairness, morality, or legality? You're not the invader, you're the defender.
I believe Israel has automated gun turrets for area denial serving the same purpose as a mine field without the need to dig up the mines when the conflict is over.

Basically mini guns that can be mounted on poles on perimeter walls and fences. I've seen videos of automated mortars. Those would be huge in a conflict like this.
Waffledynamics
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

With all due respect to the General, we've been hearing "this next [x time frame] will decide this war" and similar statements for a while now. Are there any substantial strategic changes or setbacks that are keeping Russia from precipitously collapsing, or am I misreading the statements like these?
ATX_AG_08
AG
True… but nobody expected them to make it this far either. So I don't think it's been inaccurate or misleading each time they've said it.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Eliminatus
AG
Waffledynamics said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

With all due respect to the General, we've been hearing "this next [x time frame] will decide this war" and similar statements for a while now. Are there any substantial strategic changes or setbacks that are keeping Russia from precipitously collapsing, or am I misreading the statements like these?
A lot of people have been saying it but not all people are the same. It doesn't matter what people thought in the past in warfare. We have moved on. We just know what is happening now caused by the actions of the past.

What we know is that Russia has failed in most of their early objectives, we know the Ukes are still fighting just as hard, and more effectively than they ever have, and we know that Russia is having supply issues. We also know that no significant reinforcements have been staged forward to support this invasion on Russia's side. That is such a key point in my mind. Literally boggles my mind actually. In deference to all of those killed so far, it does seem like Russia is not taking this whole thing seriously. I don't know if that is by choice, or they simply can't but to not have major reinforcements ready to exploit breakthroughs and shore up weaknesses and failures is literally the opposite of accepted Russian doctrine ( and good military sense.) Wild.

So with all of that, it can be deduced that Russia, as of today, has never been weaker in Ukraine while conversely the Ukes seem to be just as staunch in their defense while being better and better equipped and experienced. There are numerous reports that Russia is flat out stalling in the north (not designed) and the implications of that are huge. I stepped up and made a bold claim and posited some time ago that I thought Russia was not going to be able to take Kiev, period. As each day passes I think I am more and more right in that assertion. Well, I am positive at least in my own mind.

If the supply issues are indeed as bad as some think it is, the Russian army will literally grind to a halt and soon. At least offensively. That is the major turning point I think. Russia will no longer be able to function effectively as a major fighting force. Small level stuff of course will still occur and more and more people will die in furious skirmishes but the large, coordinated, sweeping movements of BTGs will likely be impossible. That is huge. War turning even.

Just my take at least. Could be wildly wrong as I am just a dude with a keyboard but this is what I have read into the information so far released.
JFABNRGR
AG
fooz said:

Sweet. They just updated and ADDED 15 unknown helo types destroyed with high altitude pics all at the same base thats a massive blow to lose 15 helos in a day. 30 in two weeks.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
ATX_AG_08
AG

Eliminatus
AG
ttu_85 said:

Tramp96 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Two lanterns please
This will not end well for them

End well for whom? Please explain like I'm 5.
Same here, and I'm a Tech grad. So, you know, keep it simple for me.
Tech Grad Business and CS here I'll explain.

As others have said the Ukes have anti-ship missiles and under sea mines to hit larger troop and supply ships several miles from the coast. Think of these guys as your safeties and corner backs they defend at distance or the long end of the field . Then they have under sea mines to keep the offence slow and cautious.

Then your line backers: artillery and intermediate ranged surface to surface missiles to hit landing craft and amphibious assault ships. Invaders use smaller faster landing craft that can deploy troops to the beach and carry smaller fire support weapons. You want to kill these before they land

Ground forces: They fight the marine assault forces close in. These are the troops coming ashore.

Its always been like this. A three tier defense. Big guns to hit the larger ships troop and supply ships . Faster firing intermediate ranged weapons to hit incoming fast assault boats and landing craft. Then the grunt with the autos and grenades to fight on the beach.

Oh and airpower usually comes into play. Russia will likely bring air assets to suppress Uke counter fire.

Love this analysis.

I will go one step forward and say sea mines are like SEC refs. You know they are there and have to be slow and careful but even then, they will still turn around and **** you from time to time. You just have no idea when and where.

I will also add that it is generally accepted that large scale amphibious assaults, especially on defended beaches, is hands down the hardest type of fighting to plan and coordinate with the outcome being decidedly more heavy vs. a straight land battle. You have to practice it constantly at every level possible, from the lowest rifleman to the overall commander. And even then, it will still be a giant cluster, guaranteed. It is also imperative these days to have effective combined arms support to heighten your chances of success and that is something that the Russians are absolutely terrible at to date in this young war.

Russia has no real experience in this type of warfare. We wrote the playbook on it and practice it and it is still a dreadful operation to push. Russia by all logic would get messed up bad if they tried it and the Ukes are on their toes. And we have no reason to think they wouldn't be.
JFABNRGR
AG
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Exercise-Tiger/
rab79
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

that isn't a thermal scope it is digital night vision you can buy on amazon for $679 that requires IR illumination for night vision. a thermal scope would cost 3 to 5x that and wouldn't be near the quality our military uses, which would be minimally 10x the cost of the scope shown.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Rossticus
Eastern Europe tired of waiting on the countries with nothing to lose if Russia wins.

Ag In Ok
AG
Rossticus said:

Anything new from where is American is fighting?
Rossticus
SUPPOSEDLY 35-ish killed but none were foreign fighters. Take that for what it's worth considering the obvious international PR implications if the opposite were true.
First Page Last Page
Page 329 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.