***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,400 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by LMCane
SPSAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG

New toys for the good guys.
ATX_AG_08
AG
SPSAg05 said:

I'd say this was a ploy to get the ukes to go on an offensive, leaving Kyiv under defended and vulnerable, but I don't think the Russians are that smart or organized.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Day 15 Summary from Military Land with detailed maps.
Thymes
Ukrainian Army Band Plays Don't Worry Be Happy in Odessa.
GAC06
AG

Drone footage of apparently artillery strikes on Russians. I predicted this before the war except I thought it would mostly be the Russians using drones to direct artillery on Ukraine.

This is a huge change in the nature of warfare. I kind of expect the new way forward is small infantry tactics with man portable missiles, drones directing artillery and rocket/missile strikes, and perhaps the replacement of main battle tanks with smaller, faster, cheaper, unmanned vehicles that get back to the original idea of tanks: firepower and mobility. Mobility is greatly enhanced if you don't really mind losing some and you can go all out.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Didn't most of the tanks turn around and leave? I only saw a few get taken out.

I saw Fox reporting this as ukes took out the entire tank regiment. Def not what I saw.
GAC06
AG
No clue, I didn't mean to imply they were destroyed. My understanding is tanks are pretty tough to kill with artillery. The other armored vehicles are much more vulnerable

The probability of kill on a tank with a 500lb bomb is pretty low in our weaponeering guide and that's much more powerful than any artillery.

Second edit: excluding artillery using advanced munitions
Rossticus
IslanderAg04
GAC06 said:

Drone footage of apparently artillery strikes on Russians. I predicted this before the war except I thought it would mostly be the Russians using drones to direct artillery on Ukraine.

This is a huge change in the nature of warfare. I kind of expect the new way forward is small infantry tactics with man portable missiles, drones directing artillery and rocket/missile strikes, and perhaps the replacement of main battle tanks with smaller, faster, cheaper, unmanned vehicles that get back to the original idea of tanks: firepower and mobility. Mobility is greatly enhanced if you don't really mind losing some and you can go all out.

It's all about using tools for their intended purpose. Tanks are not intended for urban warfare. As soon as the Russians storm the city, they are at a hige disadvantage.
NavyAg92
AG
GAC06 said:

No clue, I didn't mean to imply they were destroyed. My understanding is tanks are pretty tough to kill with artillery. The other armored vehicles are much more vulnerable

The probability of kill on a tank with a 500lb bomb is pretty low in our weaponeering guide and that's much more powerful than any artillery.

Second edit: excluding artillery using advanced munitions
You don't need to destroy a tank. Just make it inoperable. You can kill the jackholes inside as the depart the vehicle. Tanks don't kill people. The people operating the tanks kill people.
MaroonStain
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

It's been 100 years. Why not have another one?
GAC06
AG
IslanderAg04 said:

GAC06 said:

It's all about using tools for their intended purpose. Tanks are not intended for urban warfare. As soon as the Russians storm the city, they are at a hige disadvantage.

That is correct but they're getting savaged outside cities as well. Urban environment makes them more vulnerable to stuff like RPG's and AT-4's. Out on the highways they're still plenty vulnerable to ATGM's
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus

TRM
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Didn't most of the tanks turn around and leave? I only saw a few get taken out.

I saw Fox reporting this as ukes took out the entire tank regiment. Def not what I saw.
Some other reporting.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Not a Bot
AG
McInnis 03 said:

BAYRAKTAR!

I'm so amazed by this. These drones are relatively small but not stealth. A Buk system should have no trouble at least attempting to engage this target.

The Buk didn't look like it was even ready to engage aerial targets, which is its one job. Maybe it was abandoned or otherwise separated enough from the mobile radar that it was blind. But there's no reason a drone should be able to sneak up on that system unless it's not functioning or being operated by people who are completely incompetent.

This has been happening over and over again. Russians are sending these anti-air systems into the theater and not even turning them on.
Not a Bot
AG
Looks like the makeshift cage on top of the turret did a lot of good for them.
Rossticus
Seabreeze
SPSAg05 said:

They won't just turn back, what's Russia fixing to do? Chemical? Nuclear?
revvie
AG
Do the Russians even utilize combat engineers. It seems like if a bridge is destroyed they just follow the path of least resistance. How will they resupply if several bridges are destroyed behind the advance elements. Seems like with supply lines stretching 150-200 miles beyond controlled territory would provide ample opportunity for sabatours, etc to destroy a bridge or two and starve the entire advance column. What am i missing, or are they that arrogant(stupid).
Not a Bot
AG
They were seen building several pontoon bridges early in the invasion. Not sure what happened to them, if still in use, etc.
ATX_AG_08
AG
FriscoKid
AG
CNN seems to think that Russians are 8-9 miles away from the center of Kiev right now. They have been wrong a lot in the past couple weeks, but they have contacts in our intelligence agencies that are probably feeding them stuff to publish.

IF there really are troops moving on the capitol then daybreak might be interesting. If the Russians roll into the capitol then it will be a disaster for them.
BonsaiGreen
FriscoKid said:

CNN seems to think that Russians are 8-9 miles away from the center of Kiev right now. They have been wrong a lot in the past couple weeks, but they have contacts in our intelligence agencies that are probably feeding them stuff to publish.

IF there really are troops moving on the capitol then daybreak might be interesting. If the Russians roll into the capitol then it will be a disaster for them.

Both Fox and CNN military guests have said that this approach by the Russians will be extremely costly. They well encircle the capital and may take it eventually but Ukraine has the ability to make this absolute carnage for the Russians. It's not going to be pretty.

This war isn't ending unless a bigger power intervenes unfortunately.
Who?mikejones!
FriscoKid said:

Last I read was 20 miles
LostInLA07
AG
CNN sucks with domestic coverage but they have been on point with international coverage in Afghanistan and now Ukraine. I wish they could apply the same journalistic skills to what happens within our borders.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Ag In Ok
AG
Rossticus said:

So could one assume the deal is a punishing of major cities, taking of Mariupol and Odessa and details maybe on a borders? That's a long way from regime change. I think the stunningly short "offer" earlier this week was just a test of Z's and the Ukes determination.
Who?mikejones!
Ag In Ok said:

Rossticus said:

So could one assume the deal is a punishing of major cities, taking of Mariupol and Odessa and details maybe on a borders? That's a long way from regime change. I think the stunningly short "offer" earlier this week was just a test of Z's and the Ukes determination.

Does this mean he plans on absorbing all of Ukraine back under Russia statehood?
TRM
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.