***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,551,210 Views | 47731 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
ATX_AG_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dorm 15 said:

Speaking of tactics, can drones effectively take out an armored column?

They can, but doesn't look like Ukraine has enough of them. Everyone I've seen hit a column is a single aimed for the middle. Kind of frustrating to watch honestly.
twk
AG
AggieLit said:

JobSecurity said:

This is the next phase

If it becomes a protracted siege designed to starve the population like at Leningrad, you've got to cut off gas purchases from Russia. You've got to make them starve before Kiev starves. I have a feeling that right now Germany is studying and discussing with other world leaders how they could get enough gas to survive next winter without Russia.

It's the other way around. If the sanctions bite too hard, Putin will cut off the gas and try to freeze Europe. They might just get through this winter, but without the ability to build stores of gas this summer, next winter would be bleak. Gas revenue is not as big for Russia as oil revenue (true pretty much everywhere) so there is a real risk that Putin would try to use it as leverage to get the West to back off sanctions.
Dorm 15
AG
Could getting them more armed drones be more effective than piloted aircraft?
Rapier108
CanyonAg77 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

So what's up with E4-B (Doomsday plane) just circling in Lincoln?

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfeb3
https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview/2af98ceb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_plane

It's always circling somewhere. They're based out of Tinker AFB in OKC, we see them on ADS-B over the Panhandle all the time.

Nothing to worry about, it's SOP, though I expect it's a little more tense on the plane than usual.
Looks like it met up with a KC-135 for a short while so perhaps a training flight.
Irish 2.0
Dorm 15 said:

Could getting them more armed drones be more effective than piloted aircraft?
Depends on who has the joysticks
JobSecurity
AG
Jock 07
AG
74OA said:

CanyonAg77 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

It's always circling somewhere. They're based out of Tinker AFB in OKC, we see them on ADS-B over the Panhandle all the time.

Nothing to worry about, it's SOP, though I expect it's a little more tense on the plane than usual.
Offutt AFB, Nebraska.

Correct, STRATCOM asset
JobSecurity
AG
ArmyAg2002
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

They can, but doesn't look like Ukraine has enough of them. Everyone I've seen hit a column is a single aimed for the middle. Kind of frustrating to watch honestly.

I keep wondering why the middle of the convoy? That's not how you trap and destroy a convoy.
ABATTBQ11
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

It would take a lot of sorties because the drones don't have enough weapons. In attacking various spots in the middle, they can stall more parts of the convoy and make traffic jams. It also leaves more crap to clear from the roads in more places. Also a psychological component because everyone in the convoy is wondering if their vehicle is next.

The problem is Ukraine can't get enough ground forces with ATM's to attack the convoys and lay real ambushes. They could hit armor with ATM's, but also fuel and supply trucks with small arms to do even more damage.
aggiehawg
AG
JobSecurity said:

What is a deconfliction mechanism?
rgag12
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Long thread but some good observations imo.

A very thoughtful analysis, and this one definitely needs to be heeded:

AggieLit
twk said:

AggieLit said:

JobSecurity said:

This is the next phase

If it becomes a protracted siege designed to starve the population like at Leningrad, you've got to cut off gas purchases from Russia. You've got to make them starve before Kiev starves. I have a feeling that right now Germany is studying and discussing with other world leaders how they could get enough gas to survive next winter without Russia.

It's the other way around. If the sanctions bite too hard, Putin will cut off the gas and try to freeze Europe. They might just get through this winter, but without the ability to build stores of gas this summer, next winter would be bleak. Gas revenue is not as big for Russia as oil revenue (true pretty much everywhere) so there is a real risk that Putin would try to use it as leverage to get the West to back off sanctions.
I think that at this point, loss of revenue would hurt him more than high prices would hurt Europe. Otherwise he would have cut off oil and gas supplies to punish them for sanctions and supplying Ukraine. The fact that he is threatening nukes instead says to me that he can't afford to lose that revenue.
tk111
AG
JobSecurity said:

Glad there was a question in that tread as to wtf that is supposed to mean.

Apparently it just means US and ruskies establish a constant line of communication to ensure we don't 'accidentally' attack each other
ChemEAg08
AG
aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

Leftists in the WH think they can just talk and reason with Putin to stop.

It'll predictably not end well.
JobSecurity
AG
tk111
AG
JobSecurity said:

Whew those are hardcore words to hear for all the delicate fairies in the UN
twk
AG
AggieLit said:

twk said:

AggieLit said:

JobSecurity said:

This is the next phase

I think that at this point, loss of revenue would hurt him more than high prices would hurt Europe. Otherwise he would have cut off oil and gas supplies to punish them for sanctions and supplying Ukraine. The fact that he is threatening nukes instead says to me that he can't afford to lose that revenue.
Short term revenue is not really a factor. With the chaos that is resulting from freezing Russia out of foreign markets, I'm not sure what they would do with the money. Their long term concern would be that Europe would decide to find other sources for gas, and the resulting loss of leverage. Somewhat like the US being reluctant to cut Russia out of SWIFT for fear that they would team up with China to set up an alternative payment system. Sometimes, leverage can only be used once, and then it's lost for good.
TRM
AG
htownag10
AG

Russia using more foreign troops
92AG10
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

I keep wondering why the middle of the convoy? That's not how you trap and destroy a convoy.
You target the most dangerous or highest value target. Usually those single strikes are SAMs. Kill everyone of those you see so you can preserve your air strength and freedom of flight.
74OA
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

I think it's because the Ukrainians don't have enough drones to take out whole convoys, so they cherry-pick the most impactful targets in a convoy to hit (e.g., fuel trucks, SAMs, command tracks, etc.)

Hitting the front vehicles to stall a convoy only works if you have enough attack assets to promptly destroy the rest of the convoy before it either bypasses or pushes aside the destroyed vehicles in front.
Jock 07
AG
aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

Usually when two rival powers are operating near each other keeping lines of communication open to prevent any miscalculation on either side's part. Doesn't really make much sense in this scenario though
JobSecurity
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

I don't think they have troops in close enough proximity or weapons in the sky to trap and destroy. It appears they are going for max damage. Hit the front one you might get 2-3. Hit the middle you may take out 4-5.
TRM
AG
ArmyAg2002
AG
92AG10 said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

You target the most dangerous or highest value target. Usually those single strikes are SAMs. Kill everyone of those you see so you can preserve your air strength and freedom of flight.

They're not using their airpower, the way they're using those drones is as a one shot weapon.

As others have said they don't have the available air power, missile teams or artillery in the vicinity to take advantage of the convoys.
dc509
AG
Jock 07 said:

aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

Usually when two rival powers are operating near each other keeping lines of communication open to prevent any miscalculation on either side's part. Doesn't really make much sense in this scenario though
If it's communication it makes a lot of sense. We have to be in contact with Russia right now.
Duckhook
AG
ChemEAg08 said:

aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

Leftists in the WH think they can just talk and reason with Putin to stop.

It'll predictably not end well.

Lol, no. It's more of an agreement between nonenemy forces (in this case the US and Russia) to help avoid military conflicts that might lead to an unwanted/unanticipated escalation. You fly here, we fly there. You sail here, we sail there. We don't shoot at each other. Etc.
jabberwalkie09
AG
twk said:

AggieLit said:

twk said:

AggieLit said:

JobSecurity said:

This is the next phase

Short term revenue is not really a factor. With the chaos that is resulting from freezing Russia out of foreign markets, I'm not sure what they would do with the money. Their long term concern would be that Europe would decide to find other sources for gas, and the resulting loss of leverage. Somewhat like the US being reluctant to cut Russia out of SWIFT for fear that they would team up with China to set up an alternative payment system. Sometimes, leverage can only be used once, and then it's lost for good.

Except Russia has already been working to that end since 2014 with SPFS. Which was when we initially floated the idea of kicking them out of SWIFT.
JobSecurity
AG
92AG10
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

92AG10 said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Dorm 15 said:

They're not using they airpower, the way they're using those drones is as a one shot weapon.

Drones aren't strike fighters. They have a finite amount of onboard ordinance.

You kill the SAM, it doesn't kill your airframes. The Ukrainian forces are absolutely in the air. Those SAM systems can also bring down your drone.....
aggiehawg
AG
Jock 07 said:

aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

Thanks.

Wonder if a form of the Berlin Airlift for food, medicine, etc. is under consideration for Kyiv?
akaggie05
AG
Rapier108 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Looks like it met up with a KC-135 for a short while so perhaps a training flight.

That was an RC-135 Rivet Joint (SIGINT platform). They are also based at Offutt.
Jock 07
AG
dc509 said:

Jock 07 said:

aggiehawg said:

JobSecurity said:

If it's communication it makes a lot of sense. We have to be in contact with Russia right now.

Absolutely. But when I read deconfliction it usually involves operations, which we're not currently executing. At least overtly.
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.