***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,641 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by 74OA
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't help but believe that if Putin deploys weapons like the thermobarics indiscriminately against civilian targets he's going to steele not only the Ukrainian resolve but also international resolve against him.

Idon't know if "Go *****yourself!" will come knocking on his door, but his people in Ukraine will feel it more and more.
Eliminatus
AG
ttu_85 said:

You have long been a good poster that have have enjoyed reading through the years. To be honest, I irritate the hell out of my friends and family and especially my wife with my cold pragmatic take on things. In this case its knowing the Russians always start poorly.

The mistakes they made in 1941 are unbelievably bad. Stupidity on a mass scale- see Stalin's purges and political appointments to the officer class. Mistakes what would have doomed most nations. The only thing that saved them was the massive size of their nation and that fact Stalin had millions of bodies to throw into the path of Germany's blitzkreig. One thing about Russians they can bleed and come back for more. Its something ingrained in their makeup. Weird I know.

Thing about Russia they will either throw in the towel early like they did in 1905 vs Japan or they will come back for more and more. Which Russia shows up. In 1905 the country was hit with the fist shock wave of Revolution. The Tsar was already in trouble. Here Russia is ruled by the grip of a tyrant that has proven to be shrewd and ruthless in much the same mold as Stalin. But unlike Stalin, a Georgian, BTW, Mother Russia's very existence is not on the line..

This last fact gives me hope. That the Russian people will not be so eager to bleed for Putin's cause of expanding the old Russian Empire. We will see. Especially given the fact Russia with an old declining population doesn't have that much blood to spill.

Aye, this is the question indeed.

If the Russia we fear shows up soon, I probably will be proven wrong. My thinking was of the efforts and ROE's that Russia has been exhibiting to this point. If they go full brutal Russia of the past, I will have to eat my prediction and hope for the best. If that Russia shows up, all we can do is hope. Still not sure NATO will step in even at that point.

The other caveat which I was thinking in that first post was logistics. CAN Russia sustain this very long? I have no idea, but I am questioning it now, which is a new territory for me from last week before they invaded. Even brutal Russia needs munitions. They are having trouble keeping their fuel levels up as is. No amount of propaganda can hide the fact they are taking losses, and probably heavy losses at that.

So many questions. But that is the point of this thread after all. Take in data and discuss what it could possibly mean both short and long term. As morbid as it sounds, and in full deference to the fighting and suffering occurring, I do find this stuff terribly fascinating and love discussing it.

Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Russian forces are scavenging for food, just 20km from their own border. Logistics are failing.
cone
AG
I get the sense Russia is in a race with western stock markets
Not a Bot
AG
FireAg
AG
Am I to understand that even after the mega armored push by Russian forces, the Ukes still control all of the major cities?
FireAg
AG
Captain Positivity said:

What's the relevance here?
aezmvp
It looks like the regular military that was stationed in the East has performed very well. The defense of Kyiv is disjointed but working and the South has been the big failure. If the Ukes can shore up and keep Kiev or make it a horrific slog and begin getting reinforcements from the West to counter in Kyiv and the South, the Russians are going to be really screwed. I wonder who will get their reinforcements and logi figured out first.
cone
AG
Eliminatus said:

Gordo14 said:

clw04 said:

Gordo14 said:

Seems oddly quiet in Ukraine today? Wonder if that's an indication of the current status of the Russian military.
Several videos out for Russian Troops moving in Kharkiv. I expect Russia to try and take Kharkiv today and then try to take Kyiv no later than tomorrow. I think Ukraine hurt Russia's plans a little bit for Kyiv with significantly degrading the Chechen capabilities yesterday.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/27-february-video-russian-troops-in-kharkiv

I saw the videos, but it seemed to be a group of vehicles on a suicide mission and then a bunch of guys without armor support. Maybe there's more to it. But either way there is no way they can fully takeover Kharkiv in a day. Urban combat is just too difficult.

My point is the momentum they had has completely disappeared.
Goes hand in hand with the reports of overextended supply lines.

Modern armies have never been more lethal in history but they HAVE to have huge amounts of consumables every single day just to move and not starve, not even counting actual combat. Several reports that their advanced weapons are extremely limited now and again explains what we seeing now.

Then there is the timing. we are going into day four of this. No amount of momentum can be kept up by the same troops for that long. The feared Nazi blitzkriegs were literally fueled with meth and even they hit their limits.

I truly believe the Russians are being ground down. This is quickly turning into a war of attrition which doesn't bode well for Russia considering how little they actually committed to initial invasion.

I do not understand how an army starved four days into an offensive. do they not have potato chips and energy bars in Russia? can they not make PBJs?
Wrec86 Ag
(Going back on a conversation from a few pages ago)

If Putin really does put nuclear weapons in play, you better believe US Special Forces and/or NATO's best of the best will be in the fight. (Whether we know it or not in the public)
Eliminatus
AG
FireAg said:

Captain Positivity said:

What's the relevance here?
Just looked it up and Ramzan is Chechan Head of State.
FireAg
AG
Okay, so who is the Benedict Arnold? I assume this means two would be enemies are working together?
Wrec86 Ag
If a fairly small army like Ukraine and a bunch of citizens that were given weapons this week can repel the Russian army like thisc can you imagine how difficult it would be to invade the US?

First, you'd have to transport your troops over the Pacific or Atlantic, and once you got here, we've already got our guns distributed. God bless the USA
nortex97
AG
Rolling into battle in a Porsche Cayenne GTS. Nice. Supposedly, the Chechen was killed yesterday around Kiev. He is/was not a good guy.
Not a Bot
AG
Alpha is Putin's personal high-value goon squad. Non-traditional soldiers. Murder, kidnappings, etc.

nortex97
AG
Wrec86 Ag said:

If a fairly small army like Ukraine and a bunch of citizens that were given weapons this week can repel the Russian army like thisc can you imagine how difficult it would be to invade the US?

First, you'd have to transport your troops over the Pacific or Atlantic, and once you got here, we've already got our guns distributed. God bless the USA
Nevermind, not gonna derail about our southern border/Biden.
JFABNRGR
AG
nortex97 said:

Something is amiss with this. Tried to view on my 2" screen but i dont see a single vehicle disperse from the initial attack explosion. Multiple small secondaries likely of ordinance and possibly second vehicle in larger explosion but why no movement. This is idiotic if real.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
K2-HMFIC
aezmvp said:

It looks like the regular military that was stationed in the East has performed very well. The defense of Kyiv is disjointed but working and the South has been the big failure. If the Ukes can shore up and keep Kiev or make it a horrific slog and begin getting reinforcements from the West to counter in Kyiv and the South, the Russians are going to be really screwed. I wonder who will get their reinforcements and logi figured out first.

When do the financial pressures in Russia start causing domestic political problems?

The intersection of a military stalemate and major domestic unrest isn't a good recipe for Putin.
ttu_85
Eliminatus said:

ttu_85 said:

You have long been a good poster that have have enjoyed reading through the years. To be honest, I irritate the hell out of my friends and family and especially my wife with my cold pragmatic take on things. In this case its knowing the Russians always start poorly.

The mistakes they made in 1941 are unbelievably bad. Stupidity on a mass scale- see Stalin's purges and political appointments to the officer class. Mistakes what would have doomed most nations. The only thing that saved them was the massive size of their nation and that fact Stalin had millions of bodies to throw into the path of Germany's blitzkreig. One thing about Russians they can bleed and come back for more. Its something ingrained in their makeup. Weird I know.

Thing about Russia they will either throw in the towel early like they did in 1905 vs Japan or they will come back for more and more. Which Russia shows up. In 1905 the country was hit with the fist shock wave of Revolution. The Tsar was already in trouble. Here Russia is ruled by the grip of a tyrant that has proven to be shrewd and ruthless in much the same mold as Stalin. But unlike Stalin, a Georgian, BTW, Mother Russia's very existence is not on the line..

This last fact gives me hope. That the Russian people will not be so eager to bleed for Putin's cause of expanding the old Russian Empire. We will see. Especially given the fact Russia with an old declining population doesn't have that much blood to spill.

If the Russia we fear shows up soon, I probably will be proven wrong. My thinking was of the efforts and ROE's that Russia has been exhibiting to this point. If they go full brutal Russia of the past, I will have to eat my prediction and hope for the best. If that Russia shows up, all we can do is hope. Still not sure NATO will step in even at that point.

The other caveat which I was thinking in that first post was logistics. CAN Russia sustain this very long? I have no idea, but I am questioning it now, which is a new territory for me from last week before they invaded. Even brutal Russia needs munitions. They are having trouble keeping their fuel levels up as is. No amount of propaganda can hide the fact they are taking losses, and probably heavy losses at that.

So many questions. But that is the point of this thread after all. Take in data and discuss what it could possibly mean both short and long term. As morbid as it sounds, and in full deference to the fighting and suffering occurring, I do find this stuff terribly fascinating and love discussing it.

Yep: "So many questions" I think that is why sports and yes, to be honest, war, fascinate us as a species. Patton once said war was one of mans greatest endeavors. I wish he was wrong. Unfortunately that is not the case. Up on the ashes of war come great innovations. The Civil War and WW2 are sad but undeniable proof of that.

and speaking of logistical basics:
Russia GDP 1.7T < Texas at 2.1T

Pop 145M with a staggeringly LOW pop growth rate of -7.2%
Birth rate 9.8 births/1,000 population (2021)
Death rate 16.7 deaths/1,000 population (2021)

Russia is in serious long term demographic trouble.

As far as the tactical mistakes those are a head scratcher
1. Leaving Ukrainian communications up- including the net.
2. NOT achieving air superiority
3. Many units running out of fuel on the first day WTF !!
4. Suck night fighting capability.
5. Reports of 16/17 year old conscripts. Where are the Russian pros. They have them why were they not deployed as a spearhead ?

So many questions
Eliminatus
AG
cone said:

Eliminatus said:

Gordo14 said:

clw04 said:

Gordo14 said:

Seems oddly quiet in Ukraine today? Wonder if that's an indication of the current status of the Russian military.
Several videos out for Russian Troops moving in Kharkiv. I expect Russia to try and take Kharkiv today and then try to take Kyiv no later than tomorrow. I think Ukraine hurt Russia's plans a little bit for Kyiv with significantly degrading the Chechen capabilities yesterday.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/27-february-video-russian-troops-in-kharkiv

I saw the videos, but it seemed to be a group of vehicles on a suicide mission and then a bunch of guys without armor support. Maybe there's more to it. But either way there is no way they can fully takeover Kharkiv in a day. Urban combat is just too difficult.

My point is the momentum they had has completely disappeared.
Goes hand in hand with the reports of overextended supply lines.

Modern armies have never been more lethal in history but they HAVE to have huge amounts of consumables every single day just to move and not starve, not even counting actual combat. Several reports that their advanced weapons are extremely limited now and again explains what we seeing now.

Then there is the timing. we are going into day four of this. No amount of momentum can be kept up by the same troops for that long. The feared Nazi blitzkriegs were literally fueled with meth and even they hit their limits.

I truly believe the Russians are being ground down. This is quickly turning into a war of attrition which doesn't bode well for Russia considering how little they actually committed to initial invasion.

I do not understand how an army starved four days into an offensive. do they not have potato chips and energy bars in Russia? can they not make PBJs?
I think the situation is that dire after all.

Absolutely bizarre video here. I can confirm these are T80s. (anti armor knowledge beat into me). Did they run into each other and disable each other? Or just run out of fuel?

Either way, these are not the latest and greatest in Russian armor design but they are not that far from it either. These are extremely capable main battle tanks just abandoned.

ETA: Probably good to link the video huh.

ETA2: Also not confirmed this is Ukraine. The paint scheme is throwing me off. Still a very odd situation that I would think would put it in Ukraine. Either now or Donetsk conflicts.

Brewskis
AG
ttu_85 said:

Eliminatus said:

ttu_85 said:

Yep: "So many questions" I think that is why sports and yes, to be honest, war, fascinate us as a species. Patton once said war was one of mans greatest endeavors. I wish he was wrong. Unfortunately that is not the case. Up on the ashes of war come great innovations. The Civil War and WW2 are sad but undeniable proof of that.

and speaking of logistical basics:
Russia GDP 1.7T < Texas at 2.1T

Pop 145M with a staggeringly LOW pop growth rate of -7.2%
Birth rate 9.8 births/1,000 population (2021)
Death rate 16.7 deaths/1,000 population (2021)

Russia is in serious long term demographic trouble.

As far as the tactical mistakes those are a head scratcher
1. Leaving Ukrainian communications up- including the net.
2. NOT achieving air superiority
3. Many units running out of fuel on the first day WTF !!
4. Suck night fighting capability.
5. Reports of 16/17 year old conscripts. Where are the Russian pros. They have them why were they not deployed as a spearhead ?

So many questions

The most surprising aspect to me is that they apparently haven't been able to gain and maintain air superiority. But that doesn't have anything to do with my next point.

The overtures from The Kremlin about peace talks in Minsk (a non-starter) makes me wonder if they are holding the A-team in reserve to push into Ukraine if they don't come to the negotiating table. It makes no logical sense to me to keep your A team on the bench but that maybe my western bias talking. If this is truly Russias A-team, I am incredibly underwhelmed.
JobSecurity
AG

Kenneth_2003
AG
Are those the words of a tyrant that's found himself boxed into a corner?
AgsMyDude
AG
Wrec86 Ag said:

Was thinking about this last night and there's absolutely no way they could do it. If their guys are running out of gas in a border country I can't imagine the hilarity of what would happen on the other side of the Pacific.

They'd never make it past Hawaii
Ag In Ok
AG
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497841138811785218?s=20&t=MRxIhO6ooAVvxUd0KAiGzQ
Eliminatus
AG
JobSecurity said:

Wow.

Four days into this and he is already pulling the nuclear card. I think this just adds further credence that there is no 40D chess here. Russia really did **** this whole thing up and is failing in the invasion, even in their own eyes. I might be reading into that but still. This is not a light move to make obviously. Even for Putin.
jabberwalkie09
AG
His generals and political opposition need to nut up and start making some moves.
aezmvp
jabberwalkie09 said:

His generals and political opposition need to nut up and start making some moves.
Once the bank run sets in, then we will get a real response from the upper levels but not before. This is likely what caused Trudeau to revoke his order.
FireAg
AG
Eliminatus said:

JobSecurity said:

Wow.

Four days into this and he is already pulling the nuclear card. I think this just adds further credence that there is no 40D chess here. Russia really did **** this whole thing up and is failing in the invasion, even in their own eyes. I might be reading into that but still. This is not a light move to make obviously. Even for Putin.

I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that the Russian heads of state need to be liquidated ASAP…

If a nuke of any kind is used, it will result in WW3, and that could easily turn into full blown nuclear holocaust…

This is dangerously close to spinning out of control and Vlad is sounding more and more like a wounded animal backed into a corner…

Need to find a way to cut the head from the snake pronto…
My Name Is Judge
jabberwalkie09 said:

This could very well just be propaganda/threats, but considering how things have gone I don't think so

The general's faces after his address said it all…. They know he's lost his mind….

74OA
AG
Ukraine has apparently received a fresh supply of air to air missiles. Probably from Poland which flies the same type of aircraft.

UPDATE[url=https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44474/massive-artillery-barrage-sets-fuel-farm-abalze-south-of-kyiv-as-russian-invasion-enters-day-four][/url]
Not a Bot
AG
It's a bargaining chip to regain some leverage.
JobSecurity
AG
74OA
AG
As you would expect, Ukraine is throwing everything into the fight.

PROTOTYPES
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.