***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,380 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by 74OA
GigEmRangers75455
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This really so far looks like Putin's army is being embarrassed and exposed tactically. While it's awesome to see, I can't help but fear what his next step will be once he realizes his choices are to retreat or step up the aggression.
Eliminatus
AG
Captain Positivity said:

He looks like a scared kid.

I'm happy to see the Russian vehicles destroyed. Those kids are just pawns.
Of course he is a kid. Kids are the main fighters in wars and always have been. I deployed the day after I turned 19 to Iraq and there were 2 other guys in my squad who were 18. My squad leader was 22. When I deployed to Afghanistan I got two guys who were 5 and a half months out of high school. (they acquitted themselves very well in the end).

It's a terrible dichotomy. Kids like this have also killed a lot of people in battle throughout history. He is so young but he is also a uniformed fighting man. The latter is all that matters in a firefight. He is lucky to be alive.

This whole thing sucks so much. I doubt he wants to be there. But that doesn't change the fact that he went there with a weapon in his hand and in all likelihood, used that weapon. He is a Russian soldier in the end.

War sucks. Russia sucks. Putin sucks and I hope he somehow dies in this whole mess.

Does look like Russia will not take Kharkiv. Also from the videos above it looks like it was mostly militia. Anyone have any idea what the shape of the regular Uke army is in? Seen little to know info on that. Which is good though I guess.

Twice an Aggie
AG
I think the regular army is in small groups and has melted into cities and the terrain. They may have armor in some places but they appear to be hitting columns as they move along or in to cities and towns as opposed to trying to provide battle in open fields. Like that Chechen force that that was ambushed and destroyed or the latest Kharkiv push.

I could be wrong, but this is what it seems like. It is a smart way to limit numbers, neutralize artillery and air power to some extent. This works if the enemy doesn't want to level your city with you in it...Putin changes his mind and...
Jack Squat 83
AG
On top of the tactical errors made by Putin, (from what little I know, basically zero) it seems that many of his soldiers don't want to be there, at all. Motivation/morale seems like it would be key for success on the battlefield.

When the tank turned around one of the Russians waved to the citizens.

Apologies if the point has already been made.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
lb3
AG
You make it sound like the UA dissolved into fire team sized units and they're all freelancing their actions with little or no coordination.

Surely, even if dispersed, they would have spotters relaying enemy positions so multiple units could respond in a coordinated fashion.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Apologies if taken that way. I meant it to mean that they are not forming lines of battle in the open in all places. I agree that they are coordinating and are working together.
wbt5845
AG
We tend to think of battle as clean lines and unified forces, like we see on maps. In reality, it is much more granular and fragmented. Trench warfare with well defined lines is a thing of the past.
CondensedFogAggie

And good ol bank robbery

JohnnyStatueNow
AG
I don't think I've seen legit footage of a firefight with both sides shooting at each other yet. This is an invasion, but it doesn't feel like war. Stopping a tank by standing in front of it doesn't feel like war. Just a weird feeling about all of this.
CondensedFogAggie

Soldier has a yellow armband and is saying 'it's ours' of the heli, so looks like they are UA choppers
TheCougarHunter
AG
UnDisappointedAg said:

I don't think I've seen legit footage of a firefight with both sides shooting at each other yet. This is an invasion, but it doesn't feel like war. Stopping a tank by standing in front of it doesn't feel like war. Just a weird feeling about all of this.
It's war but not total war. Cell phones are everywhere, imagine the optics of a video of a tank running over unarmed civilians. If this were a World War scenario that tank's not stopping. The Russians are most certainly fighting with one hand tied behind their back. It is a very weird situation altogether.
moldaggie
Ahhhh. Finishing off my last Russian vodka tonight went down smooth. Really smooth... Back to Tito's.

Still, very unlikely Ukraine can withstand, but their spirit is infectious and the most honorable and uplifting I have seen in decades. God protect and bless Ukraine
Not a Bot
AG
This is where the Chechens were. A helo making attack runs is probably not something they were anticipating. May not have had air defense in the convoy.
Not a Bot
AG
UnDisappointedAg said:

Average Russian soldiers in these average ground units have little interest in killing civilians. This is like Texas invading Oklahoma. It makes no sense to them, either. Many apparently had no idea they were going to be told to go deep into Ukraine.

The civilian deaths so far seem to be mostly from MLRS, artillery, and missile strikes.

And I really do believe ground units have orders to limit civilian casualties.
GMaster0
They kill, but with compassion.

"Ukraine asks Red Cross to repatriate bodies of Russian soldiers killed in fighting."

"The International Committee of the Red Cross says it is aware of requests by Ukraine's UN ambassador and others to repatriate the bodies of Russian soldiers killed in action in Ukraine but has no numbers.

Ambassador Sergiy Kyslytsya tweeted Saturday that Ukraine has appealed to the ICRC "to facilitate repatriation of thousands of bodies of Russian soldiers" killed during its invasion of Ukraine. An accompanying chart claimed 3,500 Russian troops have been killed.

Kyslytsya tweeted that parents in Russia should have a chance "to bury them with dignity."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/ukraine-asks-red-cross-to-repatriate-bodies-of-russian-soldiers-killed-in-fighting/
Not a Bot
AG

SPSAg05
AG

Scrolling through the confiscated Russian soldiers' credentials.....those aren't the faces of warriors hell-bent on destroying Ukraine and bending its people to Russia's will. Those are the faces of kids.
Not a Bot
AG
K2-HMFIC
Wrong thread
ttu_85
Spaceship said:

As I've mentioned on here before, my brother-in-law and his family live in Melitopol. We're getting updates twice a day from them. Currently they are without phone and electrical service and it's pretty cold there. This is copied from what my wife sent someone else.

"My mom spoke with my brother this morning, afternoon their time. They are still sheltering in place as most others are doing in Melitopol. A lot of the fighting has moved on towards Kyiv as of 24 hours ago, where it's really heavy right now. Was very scary when fighting was going on in Melitopol as it was rattling their windows and shaking the walls as they sheltered in the hallways away from the windows to protect against getting hit with stray bullets. My brother said it's very said to see all the 16/17/18 year old Russian boys forced to fight and be in the military. They don't want to be killing Ukrainians. A lot of young Russian boy casualties littering the streets. Lots of Russian wounded that Ukrainians are taking to hospital and burying bodies. Their church is providing bread and flour for many people to bake with/eat. And they are just taking one day at a time and trusting in the Lord for what the future holds."
Warning Allergy Attack !!!

Wow !!!
nortex97
AG
Eliminatus
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Alright. This past 12 hours has finally made me call my shot.

Ukraine is going to survive this IMO. They have taken the best shot that Russia was willing to give and from here on out, I don't see Russia being any more capable from this point forward than they have been without massive reinforcement. Which I am also not so sure we will see either.

A lot of fighting is still ahead but I think we will still see a Ukraine in the future. (Non nuclear consideration)

This war will be examined from every angle possible and the exact reasons will eventually get out but the net result is that Russia was not capable enough to accomplish their goals and looking back with hindsight, they might not have ever been from that first minute they opened fire.

This was a failed strategy that led to failed tactics that reinforced that failed strategy in my eyes. I know this is armchair general'ing but I believe now. I always wanted to but Ukraine finally bought the time those crucial first few days and I am convinced the above is just more and more cracks that are becoming obvious in this Russian invasion.

Not a Bot
AG
I think they are putting all eggs in one big Kyiv assault basket.
SECTAMU#1
Eliminatus said:

Captain Positivity said:

Ukraine is going to survive this IMO. They have taken the best shot that Russia was willing to give and from here on out, I don't see Russia being any more capable from this point forward than they have been without massive reinforcement. Which I am also not so sure we will see either.

A lot of fighting is still ahead but I think we will still see a Ukraine in the future. (Non nuclear consideration)

This war will be examined from every angle possible and the exact reasons will eventually get out but the net result is that Russia was not capable enough to accomplish their goals and looking back with hindsight, they might not have ever been from that first minute they opened fire.

This was a failed strategy that led to failed tactics that reinforced that failed strategy in my eyes. I know this is armchair general'ing but I believe now. I always wanted to but Ukraine bought the time we need and I am convinced the above is just more and more cracks that are becoming obvious in this Russian invasion.
I hope you are correct in your assessment.
Not a Bot
AG

ttu_85
Eliminatus said:

Captain Positivity said:

This was a failed strategy that led to failed tactics that reinforced that failed strategy in my eyes. I know this is armchair general'ing but I believe now. I always wanted to but Ukraine bought the time we need and I am convinced the above is just more and more cracks that are becoming obvious in this Russian invasion.
I hope you are right but you are calling your shot 3:00 into the first quarter. This thing is just getting started.

Could you imagine its Jan 1, 1942 and we are on our heels in the Pacific taking one hit after another. Now imagine they had our communication tech- almost real time imagery of war. What would be posted on such threads. I can see it now: 'America and Britain are done.', 'Our navy has been destroyed', 'Japan is going to cake walk to the West Coast', Blah blah.

Not meaning to call you out. Please don't take it personally after all this is the first time in history we get almost real-time unedited unfiltered imagery from a major war zone. Its like watching a football or basketball game. To bad war doesns't work like that.
Eliminatus
AG
ttu_85 said:

Eliminatus said:

Captain Positivity said:

I hope you are right but you are calling your shot 3:00 into the first quarter. This thing is just getting started.

Could you imagine it Jan 1, 1942 and we are on our heels in the Pacific taking one hit after another. Now imagine they had our communication tech- almost real time imagery of war. What would be posted on such threads. I can see it now: 'America and Britain are done.', 'Our navy has been destroyed', 'Japan is going to cake walk to the West Coast', Blah blah.

Not meaning to call you out. Please don't take it personally after all this is the first time in history we get almost real-time unedited unfiltered imagery from a major war zone. Its like watching a football or basketball game. To bad war doesns't work like that.
No, you are right for sure.

That is why I stressed my qualifiers as no major reinforcements soon and no Crazy Putin moves that are hard to quantify. With the stuff they have in theater right now and in the very near future, I just don't see them making the Ukes capitulate. Their peak power with their original invasion force has long passed now and the Ukes are still here and gaining hard earned experience and floods of willing defenders that will soon, maybe even right now, be armed more and more with modern weapons designed to kill the biggest threats they are facing now.

They had an estimated sub 200K force from the first minute that has since been spread out and been in constant fighting and maneuvering for over three days. I imagine reinforcements are trickling in but their efforts seem disjointed, piecemeal, and even stupid at times. They have been repulsed in their attempts at Kiev already. The city has stood and the citizens are even more galvanized. They have proven to still be able to attack air threats successfully.

The biggest thing I see so far is that Russia has not seemed to be able to coordinate and communicate effectively on the ground. At least not to our standards. I have seen videos of lone or double vehicles getting shot to ***** All alone. A lot of times now. It's bizarre. Russia has not prosecuted this in the way that anyone expected they should have been able to.

I could be wrong. I may very well be. I am just a dude sitting in a chair in Texas looking from the outside in. But I hope I am right to. This is just my very unexpert guess after absorbing all of this. We shall of course see in the end.

I actually appreciate you keeping me honest. I certainly strive to be.
nortex97
AG
ThermobaricMLRS system has been rolled into theater. Hopefully it is taken out of action before used around Kharkiv.

Quote:

Dusted with snow and sitting on a tank- carrying truck, this is the menacing image of Russia's deadly weapon that will spread fear across Ukraine and the world.

After three days of dogged defence by Ukraine's military frustrated the advance of Vladimir Putin's forces, the Russian President yesterday deployed a fearsome rocket system onto the battlefield.
Footage verified by the American broadcaster CNN showed the Russian army moving TOS-1 Buratino rockets towards the front line.

Capable of firing a barrage of thermobaric 'flamethrower' rockets, the weapon can wipe out everything within a 300-yard radius. British military sources warn it could kill tens of thousands of civilians.
I suspect Russia will step up the brutality prior to any possible stand down.
ttu_85
Gordo14 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Russia won't have to wait long for the internet outrage from the West to subside. It takes about a week and a half for news cycles in these countries to move on to the next thing. See the Afghanistan withdrawal for example.

People are not gonna ignore an active war in Europe.
True. Nor should we forget or ignore the incompetency displayed in the "Afghanistan withdrawal ", excuse me debacle
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Video of what appears to be the beginning of bank runs in RU due to rumors of SWIFT ban. Unless it's some other currency it won't be[anything] on Monday, but they're withdrawing the toilet paper anyway?

Reddit link
Carlo4
AG
Aggies75455 said:

Welp my sleeping schedule has officially adjusted to the day/night time of Ukraine.

Haha glad I'm not the only one. Had baby #1 last week. This thread has been great round to round coverage while being up half the night.
jabberwalkie09
AG
B-1 83
AG
Are the Ukrainians (and their allies) still able to resupply forces within Kiev?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
ttu_85
Eliminatus said:

ttu_85 said:

Eliminatus said:

Captain Positivity said:

Could you imagine it Jan 1, 1942 and we are on our heels in the Pacific taking one hit after another. Now imagine they had our communication tech- almost real time imagery of war. What would be posted on such threads. I can see it now: 'America and Britain are done.', 'Our navy has been destroyed', 'Japan is going to cake walk to the West Coast', Blah blah.

No, you are right for sure.

That is why I stressed my qualifiers as no major reinforcements soon and no Crazy Putin moves that are hard to quantify. With the stuff they have in theater right now and in the very near future, I just don't see them making the Ukes capitulate. Their peak power with their original invasion force has long passed now and the Ukes are still here and gaining hard earned experience and floods of willing defenders that will soon, maybe even right now, be armed more and more with modern weapons designed to kill the biggest threats they are facing now.

They had an estimated sub 200K force from the first minute that has since been spread out and been in constant fighting and maneuvering for over three days. I imagine reinforcements are trickling in but their efforts seem disjointed, piecemeal, and even stupid at times. They have been repulsed in their attempts at Kiev already. The city has stood and the citizens are even more galvanized. They have proven to still be able to attack air threats successfully.

The biggest thing I see so far is that Russia has not seemed to be able to coordinate and communicate effectively on the ground. At least not to our standards. I have seen videos of lone or double vehicles getting shot to ***** All alone. A lot of times now. It's bizarre. Russia has not prosecuted this in the way that anyone expected they should have been able to.

I could be wrong. I may very well be. I am just a dude sitting in a chair in Texas looking from the outside in. But I hope I am right to. This is just my very unexpert guess after absorbing all of this. We shall of course see in the end.

I actually appreciate you keeping me honest. I certainly strive to be.
You have long been a good poster that have have enjoyed reading through the years. To be honest, I irritate the hell out of my friends and family and especially my wife with my cold pragmatic take on things. In this case its knowing the Russians always start poorly.

The mistakes they made in 1941 are unbelievably bad. Stupidity on a mass scale- see Stalin's purges and political appointments to the officer class. Mistakes that would have doomed most nations. The only thing that saved them was the massive size of their nation and that fact Stalin had millions of bodies to throw into the path of Germany's blitzkreig. One thing about Russians they can bleed and come back for more. Its something ingrained in their makeup. Weird I know.

Russia could either throw in the towel early like they did in 1905 vs Japan or they will come back for more and more. Which Russia shows up. In 1905 the country was hit with the first shock wave of Revolution. The Tsar was already in trouble. Here, Russia is ruled by the grip of a tyrant that has proven to be shrewd and ruthless in much the same mold as Stalin. But unlike Stalin, a Georgian, BTW, Mother Russia's very existence is not on the line.

This last fact gives me hope. That the Russian people will not be so eager to bleed for Putin's cause of expanding the old Russian Empire. We will see. Especially given the fact Russia with an old declining population doesn't have that much blood to spill. Whichever the case its a Russian thing to start off poorly.

FCBlitz
It is still the unknown if's that still exists that worry me.

My opinion is that:

IF Russia does NOT speed this process it may force more help. From China.
IF it looks like Russia is having to retreat with accomplishing any goals it may quick start a Taiwan campaign.
IF Putin turns on his own protests in his countries that would mean he is capable of anything.

China and when/how they react is is a key wild card.

The upside to this it does sound like NATO is coming to life to support Ukraine.
First Page Last Page
Page 100 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.