***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,555,239 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JobSecurity said:

Don't threaten the space station Putin
Cheetah01
AG
Dan Scott said:

I was refreshing my memory on Iraq war and reminded it took 3 weeks to capture Baghdad. It wasn't until May when Bush declared mission accomplished. The war began in mid March.

Maybe we're being a little too harsh expecting Russia to capture Kyiv over a weekend.

This is how we started the war. We started stronger than Russia.

To me that is very different. The main reason is 1) the populace wasn't united against the attacker as they were factions and 2) it was half a world away not next door.

That said, I don't disagree that a few days is not a quagmire (not that anyone has made that claim).
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Exactly
deddog
AG
JobSecurity said:

Looks really similar to some other pics that turned out to be anti air. If there are really just 8 guys dropping in they would be taken out immediately

Looks more like a supply drop? To troops that are really far from their supply lines
Rockdoc
AG
Thanks to all you tech savvy guys for this thread!
Robk
No links, just from reading on Jim Scuitto's twitter and posts on reddit. The "partial" kicking of SWIFT might be more impactful. The populace will most likely make a run on the banks and could cause a lot of small fires that have to be dealt with.

Found a link again
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1497702615349698574?s=20&t=eW2O6krq_QgAh1XwcXdpmA
EMY92
AG
Dan Scott said:

I was refreshing my memory on Iraq war and reminded it took 3 weeks to capture Baghdad. It wasn't until May when Bush declared mission accomplished. The war began in mid March.

Maybe we're being a little too harsh expecting Russia to capture Kyiv over a weekend.

This is how we started the war. We started stronger than Russia.

The Russian border is what, 200 miles from Kyiv?

Also, the Russians do not have to ship supplies halfway around the world to the battle zone.

Most of the Russian troops are conscripts. They are not very well trained, their equipment is likely not in great shape, and they do not know why they are fighting. They're not very motivated to risk their lives for this. They are also pretty much limited to daylight operations. They have little night vision gear and don't train to use it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
deddog said:

JobSecurity said:

Looks really similar to some other pics that turned out to be anti air. If there are really just 8 guys dropping in they would be taken out immediately

Looks more like a supply drop? To troops that are really far from their supply lines

Multiple pages on Twitter are confirming that it was not a drop but instead AAA fire.
Charpie
AG
CNN reporting live of a pulsing glow in the SW part of Kiev. It's in the direction of the other airport in town. I'm watching it live
DCPD158
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

deddog said:

JobSecurity said:

Multiple pages on Twitter are confirming that it was not a drop but instead AAA fire.
I saw a report that it was reflection of street lamps on the window they were filming out of.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
JobSecurity
AG
IDaggie06
AG
JobSecurity said:

Help me out, what's this actually mean?
Irish 2.0
Internet via satellites. He's making sure that Ukraine doesn't go dark

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink
SwigAg11
AG
Wireless internet connection formed by a network of low earth orbit satellites. Basically, can keep internet access going for Ukraine I believe.
JobSecurity
AG
High speed satellite internet access even if local infrastructure is destroyed
hunter2012
AG
IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

It means for those that have a signal from those terminals will not need wired internet to remain connected. Basically the Russians will not be able to cut of their communications by cutting lines. This assumes they will have the terminals setup.
LRHF
AG
Nm
SwigAg11
AG
I believe it's owned by SpaceX? Is Musk going to be the only one controlling space access soon with the rates he's charging?
2wealfth Man
AG
Looks like Ivan going to be making a BIG push for Kiev tonight. Folks seem ready to fight block by city block.
jabberwalkie09
AG
DCPD158 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

deddog said:

JobSecurity said:

I saw a report that it was reflection of street lamps on the window they were filming out of.

Either way: not paratroopers.
MaroonStain
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Looks like Ivan going to be making a BIG push for Kiev tonight. Folks seem ready to fight block by city block.

Ruskies are running out of resources.

Earlier Twitter thread

AgsMyDude
AG
Interesting comment in there

JobSecurity
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
An oil depot seems like a pretty important strategic target to me since if would likely eventually become fuel. Wonder why it took so long for the Russians to get around to hitting this.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Ironically could well be Russian oil.

Cruz has been saying for a while Putins years ago push into Crimea stopped with just Crimea to not put at rush Russian pipelines that cross Ukraine. This is an a massive rain that NordStream2 was so crucial for Putin.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Who?mikejones!
Alright everyone, I've been out of pocket since 0500 this morning. Can someone give a bullet point update of major events and where everything stand as of now? There's been lots of posts since this morning.
TRM
AG
How about a live blog of the day?

https://kyivindependent.com/national/russias-war-on-ukraine-where-fighting-is-on-now-feb-26-live-updates/
lb3
AG
hunter2012 said:

IDaggie06 said:

JobSecurity said:

It means for those that have a signal from those terminals will not need wired internet to remain connected. Basically the Russians will not be able to cut of their communications by cutting lines. This assumes they will have the terminals setup.
Starlink must have a base station within view to downlink the data back to the internet. Best I can tell after a short review is that the nearest ground station is in Wola Krobowska, Poland. I'm not sure how much of Ukraine can be covered with that ground station.

Here is a picture of the Polish ground station:

Here is on in Turkey for comparison:

Here is a pic showing the ground stations near Ukraine and satellites overhead. The hexagon grid are active commercial service areas around each ground station. Musk obviously turned on the grids over Ukraine but those satellites will be low on the horizon and bandwidth could be impacted.
live view here: https://satellitemap.space/
Rosstafari
Rosstafari
GarryowenAg
AG
OSINT Live Feed reporting on ground sources identified 3 columns of tanks moving toward Kyiv; estimated 500 tanks in total.
nortex97
AG
Woah. That is a crap ton of armor.
2wealfth Man
AG
GarryowenAg said:

OSINT Live Feed reporting on ground sources identified 3 columns of tanks moving toward Kyiv; estimated 500 tanks in total.
they are sitting ducks in columns if there are any Javelin's or NLAW's around. Guess they are going to make a dash for the capital building.
TRM
AG
GarryowenAg said:

First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.