***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,555,701 Views | 47735 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by 74OA
flakrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why would India side with Russia given Russia is building a massive port in Pakistan?
TX04Aggie
AG
Saw something on news earlier that India gets a large percentage of fertilizer from Russia that is important for certain crops grown in India and they want to ensure that they can keep payments open to keep getting it
P.H. Dexippus
AG
flakrat said:

Why would India side with Russia given Russia is building a massive port in Pakistan?

Cold War allies and partners in current military tech I believe
Rosstafari
Who?mikejones!
Russian airforce taking a beating tonight
jabberwalkie09
AG
flakrat said:

India has bought a lot of **** from Russia, is currently leasing an Akula class attack sub, and was looking into leasing a second one or trying to build their own.
Ag In Ok
AG
flakrat said:

Fertilizer. India relies on Russia. No fertilizer no food.
FireAg
AG
Anyone else wondering if the Russians did their due diligence with surveillance, intelligence, and attack planning?
Who?mikejones!
New news has kinda gone quiet. What's happening?
Rosstafari
Strategically related because location of Zelensky directly impacts Russian decisions.

redline248
AG
One has to wonder if Zelensky was smart enough to film this kind of thing a week or two ago in order to present a different picture for his actual whereabouts

edit: probably not
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Rosstafari said:

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-invasion-fears-as-britain-sends-2-000-anti-tank-weapons-to-ukraine-12520950
UK sent 2,000 units. Nice.
TX04Aggie
AG
Ukraine UN rep is speaking live now at UN Security Council in NYC.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rosstafari said:

What makes this special compared to other equipment?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

New news has kinda gone quiet. What's happening?

It seems like they're kind of in a lull right now. It seems like around midnight to sometime around dawn in Ukraine where ground activity hits a point where there isn't much going on. Some of this is because of lack of being adequately equipped to fight at night but I'm sure units need rest and chow. I don't think that Russian air assets in theater are particularly great night fighters outside of the Su-34.

It's almost 0200 in Ukraine right now.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Waffledynamics said:

Rosstafari said:

Basically the latest and greatest in anti-tank missiles.
txags92
AG
FireAg said:

Anyone else wondering if the Russians did their due diligence with surveillance, intelligence, and attack planning?
See below for a quote from "Red Storm Rising" that pretty well sums up where the Russians probably are right now. They didn't get as far as they wanted right away to "Shock and Awe" the Ukes into submission. Their attempts to land paratroopers and capture airports to bring in resupply have not worked as they planned. Now they may have some breakthroughs, but the trick is getting enough troops (and their supplies) through that breakthrough in order to exploit it before the Ukrainians can regroup and shuffle to meet them. I think the supply side of that is likely given the sporadic postings about Russians out trying to scavenge diesel to keep their tanks running.

From Red Storm Rising. Again...surprisingly accurate for a 40ish year old book.
He now had a full fighting division across the Leinethe remains of one, he corrected himself. The two reinforcing tank divisions were trying to cross now, but the ribbon bridges had been bombed overnight along with the advancing divisions. The NATO reinforcements were beginning to arrivetheir road advances had also suffered from air attacks, though at ghastly cost to the Soviet fighter-bombers. The tactics … no, amateurs discuss tactics, Alekseyev thought wryly. Professional soldiers study logistics. The key to his success would pivot on his ability to maintain bridges on the river Leine and to run traffic efficiently down the roads to Alfeld. The traffic-control system had already broken down twice before Alekseyev had dispatched a team of colonels to handle things. "We should have picked a better place," Alekseyev muttered. "Excuse me, Comrade General?" Sergetov asked. "There's only one good road into Alfeld." The General smiled ironically. "We should have made our breakthrough at a town with at least three."
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rosstafari said:

Asymmetric warfare/force equalizing weapon?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Nitro Power said:

Time for me to eat some crow here. I said yesterday Russia would mow almost anyone over that they wanted in short order. I was wrong, I admit it. I think there are two things taking place here. Russia is a bully who has built a reputation based on fear. So far it appears to me Ukraine hit them in the mouth and/or they are not as powerful as thought (at least me). Two, I did not expect Ukraine to rally like they have. Regardless of the outcome, what they are doing is inspirational.

I was indifferent at first, but I am firmly rooting for Ukraine to kick some ass.
Home court and house rules always help as well.

IMHO, Russia as a whole is just very outdated" and the rest of the world hasn't been able to see Russia's capabilities until now. Putin has to lay in this bed that he also has taken a **** in so far.
redline248
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Rosstafari said:

Asymmetric warfare/force equalizing weapon?
They apparently rival the Javelins? Maybe that's just me drawing conclusions based on other stuff I've seen posted
DallasAg 94
Rosstafari
Rumor on OSINT live space that Russia is conscripting every trained medical professional they can get their hands on. Includes med school students. Apparently they've taken much heavier casualties than they planned for and are planning for more. A lot more.
DallasAg 94
Waffledynamics
AG
Rosstafari said:

If they're using that pictures as proof, then they may want to remove the American flag from the backpack.
Nitro Power
AG
Is there any chance more countries get involved to help Ukraine with manpower, now that they have shown they at least have a punchers chance? Also as another poster pointed out their tech and strategies seem outdated.
No Spin Ag
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Waffledynamics said:

Rosstafari said:

Basically the latest and greatest in anti-tank missiles.

Those look intimidating. I'm sure they're even moreso when hitting their target.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
agent-maroon
AG
Rosstafari said:

Rumor on OSINT that Russia is conscripting every trained medical professional they can get their hands on. Includes med school students. Apparently they've taken much heavier casualties than they planned for and are planning for more. A lot more.
Which is it - trained medical professionals or med school students? Not sure the latter will be very helpful
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Some good info on the weapons and their delivery here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastienroblin/2022/01/25/the-uk-airmailed-2000-nlaw-missiles-to-ukraine-are-they-useful/?sh=52d790d4170b
Apparently lighter weight, shorter range and single-shot disposable compared to the Javelin.

Quote:

The meter-long disposable weapon weighs just 27.5 pounds and can launch a single 150-millimeter diameter missile out to an effective range between 20 and 600 meters, or up to 400 meters for moving targets. Newer NLAWs reportedly have guidance software increasing accurate range to 800 meters.
Unlike most light anti-tank weapons, the NLAW has a 'Predicted Line of Sight' guidance system in which the operator tracks a moving target vehicle in the launcher's 2.5x magnification sight for 3-5 seconds before firing.

A 'cold launch' system then ejects the missile with pressurized gas before it ignites its rocket motor, accelerating the weapon to 440 miles per hour (200 meters per second). This allows the weapon to be used safely from interior spaces without injuring personnel with the rocket's back blast.

The missile then uses an inertial navigation system to fly to where the launcher's targeting algorithm predicts the vehicle will be based on its prior trajectory.

In addition to ordinary direct-fire mode, the NLAW can also use a top-attack mode in which it flies one-meter above the targets and discharges a downward-facing shaped charge over a target vehicle. As top armor is universally pretty thin (ie. no more than a few centimeters) this could allow an NLAW to disable tanks with frontal protection exceeding the missile's reported penetrating power equivalent to 50 centimeters RHA. This can also enable targeting of vehicles mostly concealed behind cover.
Love Gun
For those that don't habla Russian military equipment, the IL-76 is a BIG plane. If this report is accurate that it did go down and it was loaded with paratroopers, we're talking over 100 Russians KIA. This gives me wood.

Agthatbuilds said:

**** Joe Biden
FireAg
AG
Love Gun said:

For those that don't habla Russian military equipment, the IL-76 is a BIG plane. If this report is accurate that it did go down and it was loaded with paratroopers, we're talking over 100 Russians KIA. This gives me wood.

Agthatbuilds said:

Hope it's accurate and hope it was full…

**** them…
txags92
AG
Nitro Power said:

Is there any chance more countries get involved to help Ukraine with manpower, now that they have shown they at least have a punchers chance? Also as another poster pointed out their tech and strategies seem outdated.
Very hard to bring in the heavy equipment and troops to do so in such a kinetic environment. The same things that plagued the Russian attempts to land paratroopers would likely befall any force trying to come in by air in numbers large enough to make a difference. Best thing anybody could do if they really want to help at this point militarily is keep sending the MANPADS and Anti tank weapons, and help the Ukrainians with air superiority. If they have not already been practicing with the Ukrainian AF though, it would be very difficult for another AF's planes to be effective without a high risk of friendly fire incidents.
Build It
AG
If you believe the numbers they've lost more than their entire time in Afghanistan. The Russian mothers will be raising hell.
Nitro Power
AG
If they can keep this up a while longer you have to believe the Russian people could turn on their own government. That would be a game changer.
txags92
AG
Build It said:

If you believe the numbers they've lost more than their entire time in Afghanistan. The Russian Chechnyan mothers will be raising hell.
FIFY. But hope somebody's mother knows where Putin can be found and somebody takes a shot...
Malibu
Chipotlemonger said:

WTF India? Come on

Very limited info…IIRC India relies on Russian fertilizer to grow their food, so mass starvation may be their immediate abstain motivation.
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.