***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,548,456 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by 74OA
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JobSecurity said:

I think Vlad just lost a TU-95!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
2wealfth Man
AG
I get the feeling this is going next level here quickly. Reinforces my uninformed feeling that RUS forces are not meeting their objectives.
TX04Aggie
AG
Do we know anything about air defence systems in Kyiv to shoot down incoming missiles?
Love Gun
TX04Aggie said:

Do we know anything about air defence systems in Kyiv to shoot down incoming missiles?

That didn't look like a plane splash with air defense. Looked more like a ballistic missile intercept.
**** Joe Biden
Rossticus
erudite said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Rossticus said:

Xi just announced support for Russia by sending grain to assist in offsetting any issues stemming from the conflict.

Grain they bought from us now that Biden took away their Ag trade tariffs effective this week.
I read the Sino-Russian treaty press release. At least from the Chinese version we can glean a couple things.
1) The Russian negotiating strength is not strong, they agreed to all Chinese demands.
2) China will support any Russian action in Ukraine
3) Russia will support any action in Taiwan
4) China guarantees "The basis of the foundation of the Russian state, and its economical security" This means propping up the Russian economy.
5) Russia agrees to sell natural resources to China at a below market price not stated.

They just threw down the gauntlet. Are we afraid of Taiwan now? We going to back down there because of Russia's nukes? This changes everything, IMO.
2wealfth Man
AG
Love Gun said:

TX04Aggie said:

That didn't look like a plane splash with air defense. Looked more like a ballistic missile intercept.
Pretty impressive if UA still has those systems intact and functional. Further reinforces the failure of RUS to meet objective in softening up Ukraine so far.
JB!98
AG
TX04Aggie said:

I have no idea, but something just got popped and it seems it was a bad guy. I don't know that a bear would be low enough for a manpad to take it out. Could be wishful thinking on my part, but that sure looks like an aircraft being hit by a SAM of some sort.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
erudite
TX04Aggie said:

US blocked IDF sale of Iron Dome to Ukraine. Most likely S-300, Buk, or Tor for high level AA defense. Tor and S-300 are the only onse capable of missile interception to my knowledge.
TX04Aggie
AG
Thanks. Was curious if they had or we helped with some sort of Iron Dome type system for them.
Burrus86
AG
JB!98 said:

JobSecurity said:

Anything that begins with "tu," deserves to be shot from the sky.
JB!98
AG
Love Gun said:

TX04Aggie said:

You could be right, but pay attention to the fireball on the right. It comes down like it had more aerodynamic structure than a missile. Kind of floats down in a ball of flame.
erudite
JB!98 said:

TX04Aggie said:

I have no idea, but something just got popped and it seems it was a bad guy. I don't know that a bear would be low enough for a manpad to take it out. Could be wishful thinking on my part, but that sure looks like an aircraft being hit by a SAM of some sort.
See post below you. Looks like S-300 intercept. Tor has "smaller" 15kg warhead.
KYcatTXaggie
Ukraine definitely showing backbone. NATO intelligence and reconnaissance has become a real force multiplier too. Despite that it looks like Russia still has enough forces to finish this out but it's going to be harder and more bloody than ole Vlad thought. Anyone else worried Putin will have to escalate the Russian attacks within Ukraine in order to accomplish his mission? I'm afraid we're going to see some severe bombing before this ends.
erudite
Rossticus said:

erudite said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Rossticus said:

Xi just announced support for Russia by sending grain to assist in offsetting any issues stemming from the conflict.

Grain they bought from us now that Biden took away their Ag trade tariffs effective this week.
I read the Sino-Russian treaty press release. At least from the Chinese version we can glean a couple things.
1) The Russian negotiating strength is not strong, they agreed to all Chinese demands.
4) China guarantees "The basis of the foundation of the Russian state, and its economical security" This means propping up the Russian economy.
5) Russia agrees to sell natural resources to China at a below market price not stated.

They just threw down the gauntlet. Are we afraid of Taiwan now? We going to back down there because of Russia's nukes? This changes everything, IMO.
The issue with this is a twofold.
You can't beat the Russians in a military fight because it would be a fight to the death. You can't win except b strangling them economically.
You can't beat the Chinese in an economical fight since they are so much of the world's manufacturing, you need to bash their heads in with the metaphorical stick.
The issue is you can't do both at the same time. You can thank outsourcing our manufacturing for that.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Artillery or air? I would assume air if there is **** falling from the sky in Kiev.
jabberwalkie09
AG

There is no doubt in my mind Vlad just lost a bomber.
JB!98
AG
erudite said:

JB!98 said:

TX04Aggie said:

Does Ukraine have those systems?
TRX
AG
N/m, read the other posts.
FJB
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus
erudite said:

Rossticus said:

erudite said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Rossticus said:

The issue with this is a twofold.
You can't beat the Russians in a military fight because it would be a fight to the death. You can't win except b strangling them economically.
You can't beat the Chinese in an economical fight since they are so much of the world's manufacturing, you need to bash their heads in with the metaphorical stick.
The issue is you can't do both at the same time. You can thank outsourcing our manufacturing for that.

Yep
aeroag14
AG
Sounds like it may have been a tu 22 that got shot down. Russian equivalent of a B-1b
Rapier108
JB!98 said:

JobSecurity said:

If it was a bomber, I'd bet a TU-22M "Backfire".

Hopefully it was a TU-160 "Blackjack."
Who?mikejones!
jabberwalkie09 said:

Didn't sound like a turbo prop when it went over
Rapier108
aeroag14 said:

Sounds like it may have been a tu 22 that got shot down. Russian equivalent of a B-1b
The TU-160 is the one similar to the B-1B, albeit much larger and faster.

TU-22M:

TU-160:

erudite
JB!98 said:

erudite said:

JB!98 said:

TX04Aggie said:

Yes. Mostly older versions inherited from the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Around 5 S-300 and 5 Tor, My guess is that these are mostly based in Kiyv. 72 Buks capable of downing high flyers, and around 150 Osa-AK capable of ruining helocopters / SU-25's days.
Who?mikejones!
Eliminatus
AG
JB!98 said:

erudite said:

JB!98 said:

TX04Aggie said:

Yes. I looked up their order of battle as best I could at the onset of this whole thing. The S300 is the best AA they have with a reported over 30 systems operational. Did see one on fire a while back though in a video. They are good weapons but big and emit all sorts of radiation. These are the things that should have been on Priority Target List 1 from the beginning for Russia.

There is also no doubt in my mind that if these systems still live, Kiev will have some of them.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Russia has a couple of bombers that are jet. One of them is a copy of the B-1
aeroag14
AG
Tu 160, while looking similar to a B-1, has a TOTALLY different mission role. Tu-160 are not low level bombers. Russians use the 22s for lower level bombing, similar to the B-1s
JB!98
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

The first video didn't have sound but I hope it was a higher value asset than a bear. A blackjack would be sweet. A lot of fuel was burned off in that explosion. (I realize that a bear is a high value asset as well)
KYcatTXaggie
If that was a Bomber why is it flying so low? Transport doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Who?mikejones!
jabberwalkie09 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Russia has a couple of bombers that are jet. One of them is a copy of the B-1

Yes, I know. Someone said they hoped it was a "bear"
Jayhawk
If the Ukes are still operating radar guided SAMs that represents a significant failure on the part of the Russians in terms of day 1 objectives.

Would not want to be one of Putin's generals in a staff meeting right now.
Rossticus
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.