***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,538,000 Views | 47718 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by Gilligan
erudite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ukrainians claimed to have captured a Russian logistics vehicle carrying plywood:
(Link is safe).
https://no-cookie.kiwifarms.net/data/video/3014/3014029-1dec98dcd4a614bf3b69a5d9ac7db06a.mp4
JB!98
AG
erudite said:

Ukrainians claimed to have captured a Russian logistics vehicle carrying plywood:
(Link is safe).
https://no-cookie.kiwifarms.net/data/video/3014/3014029-1dec98dcd4a614bf3b69a5d9ac7db06a.mp4
Depending on how much plywood there is, they can fund the war for another decade by selling it!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
CS78
Ukraine Gas Expert said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaXWydhDdGc/?utm_medium=copy_link

Crazy. Wonder what the target was? Looks like impact couldn't have been 50 yards.
Eliminatus
AG
Javelins also have select top attack or direct flight modes. It's am amazing piece of tech really. I was one of the last class of 0351s to train on it and even fired one into a house in Iraq. My cool guy moment of my entire military career.

The javelin is nowhere near as powerful as the TOW is however in terms of net explosive weight. Our doctrine was for volley fire of at least two if possible into same main battle tank. BTRs and BMPs would die if hit by singles though. You can even engage slow moving helos with them. Direct attack mode for those.

It's simple to use, if clunky, and we should have seeded the Ukes with them long ago with adequate training to go along. You can never have enough of them.
erudite
JB!98 said:

erudite said:

(Link is safe).
Depending on how much plywood there is, they can fund the war for another decade by selling it!
Modern day Soviet Milk truck. Here's the older version (Gaz 66 with a ZSU-23-2)
GAC06
AG
I got to play with a javelin CLU in 07 at TBS. Pretty damn impressive thermal imaging on that thing, probably even better now. Wish I could have shot one.
CanyonAg77
AG
erudite said:

(Link is safe).
Looks a lot thicker than plywood.

It's hard to feel sorry for the Russians, other than the grunts with no political leaning, just following orders (please, no Nazi reference).

But I do kind of feel sorry for the guy dying over a load of wood.
erudite
Eliminatus said:

Javelins also have select top attack or direct flight modes. It's am amazing piece of tech really. I was one of the last class of 0351s to train on it and even fired one into a house in Iraq. My cool guy moment of my entire military career.

The javelin is nowhere near as powerful as the TOW is however in terms of net explosive weight. Our doctrine was for volley fire of at least two if possible into same main battle tank. BTRs and BMPs would die if hit by singles though. You can even engage slow moving helos with them. Direct attack mode for those.

It's simple to use, if clunky, and we should have seeded the Ukes with them long ago with adequate training to go along. You can never have enough of them.
That reminds me, isn't it possible to theoretically knock out light vehicles with FIM-92 stingers? I recall someone stating that the Humvee Avenger can do that.
erudite
CanyonAg77 said:

erudite said:

(Link is safe).

It's hard to feel sorry for the Russians, other than the grunts with no political leaning, just following orders (please, no Nazi reference).

It looks like regular wood to me. But don't shoot the messenger.
I can see why the Russian state is responding to Ukraine like this though. Not that agree with it.
Reminds me of this from the First Chechen war.
nortex97
AG
Not keeping up with this thread but interesting if true. I'd think Kiev is a critical city to hold if Ukraine does in fact mount a protracted defense.

deddog
AG
Rossticus said:

Ukraine is certainly forcing disproportionate Russian resource expenditure proportional to realized gains. They're giving those red *******s all they want. Inflicted heavy casualties on Russian VDV during the airport op.

Ukrainian AF outperforming. Of course virtually nothing was expected of them, but every little bit helps.
What are you basing this on (The AF aspect?)
I haven't seen anything about the UAF other than the Su-27 pilot who flew into Romania
Eliminatus
AG
I don't see why not. They are IR seekers and on cold nights with vehicles traveling long distances they should give off enough IR to be able to lock I imagine. It's a pitiful warhead for that though. It's meant to smash up delicate aircraft not penetrate armor. I don't even think it has any armor penetrating capabilities. In a pinch though.....

I remember reading an account of an F4 pilot who managed a lock on a VC supply truck in Vietnam with a Sidewinder and took it out. Gotta get creative sometimes.
P.U.T.U
AG
I imagine both sides have access to night vision, I know Russia does, but not sure how many of the lower ranking Ukrainians do. I highly doubt many if any citizens have them and that makes a big difference
GAC06
AG
I believe their anti-air assets fall under their Air Force
aggrad02
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

erudite said:

(Link is safe).

That isn't plywood, the back of that truck looks hollow. It was carrying something.
jabberwalkie09
AG
nortex97 said:

Not keeping up with this thread but interesting if true. I'd think Kiev is a critical city to hold if Ukraine does in fact mount a protracted defense.

If true, it looks like the Ukrainians -dare I say- have put up a fight and limited the spread of Russians.

I think someone was telling me earlier that there was no fight in the Ukrainians, Russians were spreading like wildfire, and the country would fall in short order.
SidsBurnerAccount
My latest 2 cents on info from inside Ukraine. My lobbyist friend represents some Ukrainian companies and just got off the phone with one of the principals. He and his doctor son just got called up. Said the Ukes are in high spirits and are holding their own. Retaking the airport would seem to indicate that's not just bravado.
74OA
AG
Hopefully, resupply is coming over land from the Polish border. WEAPONS
erudite
deddog said:

Rossticus said:

Ukraine is certainly forcing disproportionate Russian resource expenditure proportional to realized gains. They're giving those red *******s all they want. Inflicted heavy casualties on Russian VDV during the airport op.

Ukrainian AF outperforming. Of course virtually nothing was expected of them, but every little bit helps.
I haven't seen anything about the UAF other than the Su-27 pilot who flew into Romania
I believe the Ukrainians still hold limited superiority over Kyiv. Outside of that, no idea.
Rossticus
deddog said:

Rossticus said:

Right now, OSINT reports over the past 24 hours. Nothing earth shattering. Just a general sentiment of outperform.
SidsBurnerAccount
jabberwalkie09 said:

nortex97 said:

If true, it looks like the Ukrainians -dare I say- have put up a fight and limited the spread of Russians.

I think someone was telling me earlier that there was no fight in the Ukrainians, Russians were spreading like wildfire, and the country would fall in short order.
The Russians don't seem to have committed all their forces. They appear to be trying to take Kiev and then let the rest fall into place (a la Kabul in 79)
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I want to believe the Ukrainians are fighting back hard. But either account, or even your map, could just be propaganda.
SidsBurnerAccount
74OA said:

My guy in Ukraine said that resupply by rail from Poland was still open.
LMCane
P.U.T.U said:

I imagine both sides have access to night vision, I know Russia does, but not sure how many of the lower ranking Ukrainians do. I highly doubt many if any citizens have them and that makes a big difference
NATO was sending in NVG on their flights over the last few weeks

the Ukes commented on this and showed the boxes
Rossticus
Ahahshahaha!!!!

LMCane
jabberwalkie09 said:

nortex97 said:

US officials claiming Kyiv will fall in another 70 hours

Kyiv Falls

Eliminatus
AG
Meant for other thread
GarryowenAg
AG
SidsBurnerAccount said:

74OA said:

My guy in Ukraine said that resupply by rail from Poland was still open.

Hard to believe the Russians knocked out rail yet. Maybe too much of a civilian asset as of now.
nortex97
AG
My swag is that Kiev falls on Saturday (meaning we wake up in CST and read about Zelensky flying to some safe location in Poland etc). It's the financial/political center of the country, and if it does the rest would go quickly; Belarus is a Russian satellite state so they are providing all the support they can to Putin.

The Russians are apparently being a bit smart about targeting airfields/air defense/communications facilities first, mostly, though they of course are much less precise/deliberate than the US is in such operations.
Layne Staley
AG
https://nypost.com/2022/02/24/ukrainian-women-say-russian-troops-are-flirting-with-them-on-tinder/

make love not war
Eliminatus
AG
nortex97 said:

My swag is that Kiev falls on Saturday (meaning we wake up in CST and read about Zelensky flying to some safe location in Poland etc). It's the financial/political center of the country, and if it does the rest would go quickly; Belarus is a Russian satellite state so they are providing all the support they can to Putin.

The Russians are apparently being a bit smart about targeting airfields/air defense/communications facilities first, mostly, though they of course are much less precise/deliberate than the US is in such operations.

I wonder what definition of "fall" they are using. I am not sure the Ukes will abandon it, and paramilitary and uniformed personnel can fight for a long time over it.

Is this the point where the Ukes dig in and say not another inch? Would be the place to do so out of all the others IMO. But it would be nasty. And destroy and kill so much. Is this where the Ukes get truly tested as a national spirit?
74OA
AG
Turkey could shut off access to the Black Sea to Russian warships, but I doubt it does.

RISKY
jabberwalkie09
AG
SidsBurnerAccount said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

nortex97 said:

The Russians don't seem to have committed all their forces. They appear to be trying to take Kiev and then let the rest fall into place (a la Kabul in 79)

Indeed, it does seem that they're trying to cut the head off from the body. If Russia commits the rest of its forces, there's hurdles for them to deal with. Russia can't land whole armies like we effectively did at D-Day. Nor is the coast of Ukraine suited to that (I forget who pointed this out, but there's only really a few areas where their amphibious craft is useable). This is of course on top of the issues of sustainment and having to actually cross the country. All of which grow with more committed forces.
Ag8556
AG
If the Ukranians have the fight in them, they will move their official government farther west if Kiev is taken and continue fighting. The longer this drags out, the worse it is for Putin. There will be a morale hit to the Russians if the Ukranians drag this out after Kiev falls and are able to continue fighting.
jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

nortex97 said:

US officials claiming Kyiv will fall in another 70 hours

Kyiv Falls

I can read, but weren't you saying earlier today that Kyiv if not all of Ukraine would fall in 2 days time? Seems to me that the Ukrainians are putting up more of a fight than you thought.
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.