***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,537,211 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by 74OA
Jsimonds58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not against advanced munitions, for example look at the TOW 2B it detonates above the tank and uses the massive pressure wave from that to set off the rounds inside the tank. Genius stuff
74OA
AG

Whoever was in that car is having a really bad night about now.
agmag90
It looked like that car was driving right in the direction of the blast
LMCane
agent-maroon said:

G Martin 87 said:

JobSecurity said:

Does it occur to anyone that picture angles like this make America look small and weak? Sure, it's for COVID social distancing, but still. Just a really stupid image to use at a time when we need to project strength and resolve.

"This administration and I stand united... well, we, uh... stand.. I'm still able to stand anyways..."

we need more Biden and Cumala wearing their black covid masks to really instill fear in Putin

anyone else notice the Russians don't give an F about Covid?
Who?mikejones!
74OA said:

Talk about poor timing
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaXWydhDdGc/?utm_medium=copy_link
LMCane
Jsimonds58 said:

Not against advanced munitions, for example look at the TOW 2B it detonates above the tank and uses the massive pressure wave from that to set off the rounds inside the tank. Genius stuff

The Collective
AG
74OA said:

Hope that driver had a change of pants in the car.
P.U.T.U
AG
JB!98 said:

Seeing some of the Russian tanks with screen's welded to top of the turret. Is that an effective defense to a Javelin attack? I know the Javelin attacks from above and that is the reason for the screen, just wondering if it is effective?

If I remember correctly, we had screens attached to the side of Strykers and AAVs during Iraq to add defense against RPGs.
From what I have seen they are not sure if they work, surely they tested them before but no battlefield experience
erudite
JB!98 said:

Seeing some of the Russian tanks with screen's welded to top of the turret. Is that an effective defense to a Javelin attack? I know the Javelin attacks from above and that is the reason for the screen, just wondering if it is effective?

If I remember correctly, we had screens attached to the side of Strykers and AAVs during Iraq to add defense against RPGs.
Spaced armor (The grille) is an effective counter to High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) based projectiles as it is a shaped charged and thus to far/close to the target will not allow the proper formation and cohesion of the liquid metal jet.

Russian forces in Sevastopol were seen with T-72B's with HVAC grilles put on the top of the turret spaced about 2 ft above.
GAC06
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Pretty sure it uses an explosively formed penetrator not a pressure wave?
74OA
AG
The Blitz, Part Deux.

htownag10
AG
Looks like it's true now

GarryowenAg
AG
JB!98 said:

Those screens would be better suited for AP RPG rounds. Our Javelins are much more advanced.

Side note: I haven't seen anything about us giving the Ukrainians TOWS. Has anyone seen anything about TOWs being used?
P.U.T.U
AG
Can't they set them 3 different ways? Above target, when it hits the target, or time delayed once it hits something hard?

I remember Andy Stumpf talk about using those on the Taliban when they were out of range for a sniper rifle. Plus you can shoot over rocks when they are hiding behind them.

Ukraine needs to get them in a close battle so they can fight dirty and Russia will not be able to use a lot of their assets
Jsimonds58
AG
There are two different modes you can utilize with the TOW, a direct impact and the mode I'm talking about. I'll find the video link, source on this being I was hands on with them daily in the army as I was in a weapons company
LMCane
txags92 said:

The Germans have never been about doing the right thing, only whatever is best for them economically. Germany didn't capitulate in WWII because they realized how wrong they were, the gave up because tanks rolled into Berlin and their industrial capacity was completely destroyed. For decades afterwards, millions of Germans would tell anybody who asked that they had no idea what was happening with the Jews, despite watching as their neighbors and friends were arrested and led away by the SS. Germany knows Russia is wrong here...but they don't want to do anything that inconvenience Germany. They don't care how many innocent people die or have to live under a puppet government ruled by a tyrant, they just care that their gas supply keeps flowing.

Germany has been a plague on the world since 1867
deddog
AG
GAC06 said:

Jsimonds58 said:

The TOW 2B Aero is the most modern and capable missile in the TOW family, with an extended maximum range to 4,500 meters. The TOW 2B Aero defeats all threat armor systems. The TOW 2B Aero Gen2 also incorporates an advanced counteractive protection system capability. The TOW 2B flies over the target, detects the target and fires two downward-directed, explosively formed penetrator warheads into the target.
https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/tube-launched-optically-tracked-wireless-guided-tow-missiles/

Javellin is top attack too, but uses a HEAT warhead. It might work against Javellin? Though the warhead, i assume is more destructive than an RPG
LMCane
P.U.T.U said:

Can't they set them 3 different ways? Above target, when it hits the target, or time delayed once it hits something hard?

I remember Andy Stumpf talk about using those on the Taliban when they were out of range for a sniper rifle. Plus you can shoot over rocks when they are hiding behind them.

Ukraine needs to get them in a close battle so they can fight dirty and Russia will not be able to use a lot of their assets

JAVELIN are much better than TOW

SPIKE is better than both

US Army is moving to buy more Spikes in the last several months
AgResearch
AG
Edit - forgot this was the info only thread, not the snarky response thread. Apologies
Jsimonds58
AG
GAC06
AG
Yeah I know about top attack vs direct fire, I just doubt the part about a pressure wave being the method of destruction

Edit: deddog got it
LMCane
htownag10 said:

Looks like it's true now

that would be a VERY hopeful sign that at least some Uke units are fighting.

interesting to see in the next few days what happened to the paratroopers from Russia.

my guess is they will be traded for Uke prisoners in a few weeks.
deddog
AG
LMCane said:

P.U.T.U said:

Check out Spike NLOS..that **** is impressive
74OA
AG

Not here, please.
erudite
GAC06 said:

Jsimonds58 said:

Pressure wave is HEP/HESH I believe.

HEP/HESH = Big explosion to cause spralling
HEAT = Liquid metal jet to burn through armor
APFS = Long slug of dense metal to punch through like bullet
TRM
AG
htownag10 said:

Looks like it's true now

Don't know.

LMCane
GarryowenAg said:

JB!98 said:

Those screens would be better suited for AP RPG rounds. Our Javelins are much more advanced.

Side note: I haven't seen anything about us giving the Ukrainians TOWS. Has anyone seen anything about TOWs being used?
I have only heard of Javelins being sent from UK and NATO

but one would hope the Ukes would have been buying on the black market the last few years.

if the Syrian jihadis could get them, the Ukes should have been able to get them.

I did see video of Javelins being deployed from SUV like a landcruiser
LMCane
deddog said:

LMCane said:

P.U.T.U said:

Check out Spike NLOS..that **** is impressive

Rafael is selling as many SPIKE NLOS to the US military as they are able.

pressure your Congressmen to buy more!
Rossticus
Ukraine is certainly forcing disproportionate Russian resource expenditure proportional to realized gains. They're giving those red *******s all they want. Inflicted heavy casualties on Russian VDV during the airport op.

Ukrainian AF outperforming. Of course virtually nothing was expected of them, but every little bit helps.
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Ukraine is certainly forcing disproportionate Russian resource expenditure proportional to realized gains. They're giving those red *******s all they want. Inflicted heavy casualties on Russian VDV during the airport op.

Ukrainian AF outperforming. Of course virtually nothing was expected of them, but every little bit helps.
Yep, it's a "use it or lose" force against the Russian AF and SAMs. Might as well die hard.
JB!98
AG
Thanks for the education on the TOW and Javelin systems.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
erudite
Rossticus said:

I've been wondering where the more mobile low-mid level AA systems are.... They should have a bunch of 9K33M2 (Osa - AK) around. That thing is a bane to helicopters by virtue of it being a wheeled, amphibious unit with its own engagement radars.
The Ukrainians could literally pull a mobile mid level AA net with that and run before any sort of SEAD mission comes in.
74OA
AG
JB!98 said:

Thanks for the education on the TOW and Javelin systems.
A bit more:
TOW
Javelin
Michael Cera Palin
AG
A little off topic but I can't imagine what it would've been like to watch 2003 Iraq with the social media and instantaneous news transfer that we have now
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.