***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,537,005 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by 74OA
G Martin 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly. Perfect comparison.
solishu
AG
Texasaggie32 said:

solishu said:

Several sources are reporting that Ukrainians have retaken the Hostomel Airport.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496925642520088588?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
False news apparently

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496928031474171905?s=20&t=UQ1qCaVLdI3FQlGDTVuCgQ
:/
74OA
AG
Unrest growing in Russia? LETTER
jabberwalkie09
AG
74OA said:

There's enough evidence to show that the Russian public at large is not happy. Unfortunately, Putin will see these people as dissidents and well….
TRM
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

There's enough evidence to show that the Russian public at large is not happy. Unfortunately, Putin will see these people as dissidents and well….
They'll just go to detention camps along with the Ukrainians.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TRM said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

They've just go to detention camps along with the Ukrainians.
Yep.
74OA
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

AgGrad99
AG
Man...the lack of concern from these guys, when the missile hits is surprising. I think I'd be getting out of there, assuming there might be more to come.

Seabreeze
74OA said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

Tends to happen when your stock market crashes, and your country becomes public enemy #1
agent-maroon
AG
G Martin 87 said:

JobSecurity said:

Does it occur to anyone that picture angles like this make America look small and weak? Sure, it's for COVID social distancing, but still. Just a really stupid image to use at a time when we need to project strength and resolve.

"This administration and I stand united... well, we, uh... stand.. I'm still able to stand anyways..."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Htownag11
AG
To go where? Who is to say the direction they are traveling won't be hit by a missile next?
AgGrad99
AG
Htownag11 said:

To go where? Who is to say the direction they are traveling won't be hit by a missile next?
Fair point.

I guess my answer would be 'further away from the known target', but you're just guessing at that point I suppose.
AgGrad99
AG
if interested, this link has some amazing videos of incoming missiles.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44443/these-are-the-standoff-missiles-russia-used-to-open-its-war-against-ukraine
74OA
AG
Seabreeze said:

74OA said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

Tends to happen when your stock market crashes, and your country becomes public enemy #1
Yep, and the body bags haven't started returning to Mother Russia yet. Early days.
2023NCAggies
74OA said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

Lol what is that, around a 1,000 people? WOW!
agsalaska
AG
My thought as well. Those are very unimpressive.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

74OA
AG
2023NCAggies said:

74OA said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

74OA said:

Lol what is that, around a 1,000 people? WOW!
Protests of any size are an embarrassment for Putin and, as I said, the body bags haven't even started returning to Mother Russia yet. Early days.

txags92
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

so in a country of 44 million-

there aren't 1000 troops available to move 15 minutes from the Capitol?!?!

is Biden's Customs and Border Patrol defending Kyiv?

Or are we watching a pre-determined script of actions with parts of Ukraine military command defection or refusing to fight?
most of the Ukraine military is definitely refusing to fight

you can't run hundreds of tanks and APCs across THE ONE BRIDGE linking Crimea with Ukraine and actually have a real army that is fighting.

for lord's sake- that bridge has been staring the Ukes in the face for years! notice how they can't block a single highway or airfield

but the truckers in the USA and Canada can block entire cities?

Sees tweets

Makes sweeping definitive statements

It's looking like my response to LMC's comments earlier in the thread were just blazed right on past.

LMC- are you really expecting WW1/2 type ground defense of objectives in a conflict which isn't peer or near peer?

was Iraq versus the USA "peer on peer"?

how long did it take the USA to conquer Baghdad in 1991? and in 2003?

I mean, I don't to know about you but using equipment like F-117's, B-2's, and M1 Abrams not to mention cruise missiles against opfor equipment like T-72's, T-59's, and AAA emplacements doesn't exactly seem like peer or near peer to me. YMMV I guess. How we as a military function and move is also different from Russia. I think this has been covered before in the other thread. We could have absolutely steam rolled through Iraq if we wanted to but our ROE is positively more stringent than that evidenced by Russia.
Quote:

was North Vietnam "peer on peer" against the USA from 1965-1973?

was Israel "peer to peer" against 6 Arab countries and their British trained armies in 1948? (when they had a total population of 640,000 citizens against 73 million)

Very different theaters of war. Also, I seem to remember Israel receiving quite a bit of material and techno know how help from Europe. Obviously the North Vietnamese had help from third parties as well.
Quote:

not sure what your point is- but there are ways to at least SLOW DOWN an invading armored column.

if Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS, and Iraqi insurgents could figure it out - but somehow a modern country of 44 million can't figure it out?

Let me make an analogy then just quote myself again. Blowing up the bridge to Crimea would be like if the Mexican military invaded and annexed Galveston Island. Would we just blow up all the bridges leading to the island? If we were to retake it and the bridge was destroyed then air assault (given equitable assets to Ukraine) would be the only option and until that bridge was reestablished, retreat and reinforcement would be almost impossible.

While I understand what you're saying, the mindset of willingly sacrificing people, material, and land you don't have the equipment to retake later isn't necessarily applicable to what I'm seeing from Ukrainians.

That does not mean they will not fight tooth and nail for their country.

Quote:

First of all calm down, take a step back, and breath. Second, go back through the thread there's evidence enough of Ukrainians putting up some resistance. They may be dying for it, but this is their fight. Ukraine's air and naval assets being destroyed was basically always accepted imo. Even most of their air defense being hit was a given. I contend that's they were given stingers since they're man portable and require little training.

Russians moving quickly was always expected. That's literally why their military is so mechanized, armor intensive, and with self propelled artillery. Ukrainians were never going to blow up their own infrastructure. Crimea to them is still Ukraine. Cutting off forces from sustainment or retreat would destroy morale. Ukraine can't afford any of that.

Russian lulled Europe and Ukraine into a false sense of reality here. Russia had done annual exercises roughly between February through April in the region for awhile. It wasn't really considered to be imminent by Europe until like the last month. By that time, it was already too late.

You don't have to irretrievably destroy a bridge to make it unusable. Just go out before the war starts and drop a bunch of jersey barriers and dead car bodies parked sideways in a pile. When the Russians come out to try to move the mess to use the bridge sit back and pick them off with the weaponry of your choice. Mobile tanks are hard to stop, but tanks sitting still with other equipment and men trying to make way for them is a less hardened objective.
Build It
AG
Especially large considering they are all risking the gulag. That isn't Seattle or D.C.
deddog
AG
Kviy has a curfew but I still see a lot of civilian traffic on the Maidan Live Cam.

Would expect to see exclusively military traffic. So odd. Almost like nothing's wrong.
Also, all the lights are on.
I would expect a complete blackout so as to not give Russian pilots any visual aids
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Thought this was an interesting aspect of this. Ukraine has 15 operating reactors generating 50% of the nation's power, all reactors are of Russian VVER design. Also home to the retired Chernobyl plant and containment structure over the destroyed Chernobyl Unit 4 reactor which the Russians captured to get to Kyiv.

Saw this scroll by on Twitter:

According to World Nuclear News, no sign of military action near any of the operating plants

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/A-guide-Nuclear-power-in-Ukraine
The Collective
AG
I saw lights out at 11 pm, so that is within an hour.
JobSecurity
AG
Keegan99
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
txags92 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

LMCane said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

LMCane said:

hbtheduce said:

LMCane said:

JobSecurity said:

so in a country of 44 million-

there aren't 1000 troops available to move 15 minutes from the Capitol?!?!

is Biden's Customs and Border Patrol defending Kyiv?

Or are we watching a pre-determined script of actions with parts of Ukraine military command defection or refusing to fight?
most of the Ukraine military is definitely refusing to fight

you can't run hundreds of tanks and APCs across THE ONE BRIDGE linking Crimea with Ukraine and actually have a real army that is fighting.

for lord's sake- that bridge has been staring the Ukes in the face for years! notice how they can't block a single highway or airfield

but the truckers in the USA and Canada can block entire cities?

Sees tweets

Makes sweeping definitive statements

It's looking like my response to LMC's comments earlier in the thread were just blazed right on past.

LMC- are you really expecting WW1/2 type ground defense of objectives in a conflict which isn't peer or near peer?

was Iraq versus the USA "peer on peer"?

how long did it take the USA to conquer Baghdad in 1991? and in 2003?

I mean, I don't to know about you but using equipment like F-117's, B-2's, and M1 Abrams not to mention cruise missiles against opfor equipment like T-72's, T-59's, and AAA emplacements doesn't exactly seem like peer or near peer to me. YMMV I guess. How we as a military function and move is also different from Russia. I think this has been covered before in the other thread. We could have absolutely steam rolled through Iraq if we wanted to but our ROE is positively more stringent than that evidenced by Russia.
Quote:

was North Vietnam "peer on peer" against the USA from 1965-1973?

was Israel "peer to peer" against 6 Arab countries and their British trained armies in 1948? (when they had a total population of 640,000 citizens against 73 million)

Very different theaters of war. Also, I seem to remember Israel receiving quite a bit of material and techno know how help from Europe. Obviously the North Vietnamese had help from third parties as well.
Quote:

not sure what your point is- but there are ways to at least SLOW DOWN an invading armored column.

if Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS, and Iraqi insurgents could figure it out - but somehow a modern country of 44 million can't figure it out?

Let me make an analogy then just quote myself again. Blowing up the bridge to Crimea would be like if the Mexican military invaded and annexed Galveston Island. Would we just blow up all the bridges leading to the island? If we were to retake it and the bridge was destroyed then air assault (given equitable assets to Ukraine) would be the only option and until that bridge was reestablished, retreat and reinforcement would be almost impossible.

While I understand what you're saying, the mindset of willingly sacrificing people, material, and land you don't have the equipment to retake later isn't necessarily applicable to what I'm seeing from Ukrainians.

That does not mean they will not fight tooth and nail for their country.

Quote:

First of all calm down, take a step back, and breath. Second, go back through the thread there's evidence enough of Ukrainians putting up some resistance. They may be dying for it, but this is their fight. Ukraine's air and naval assets being destroyed was basically always accepted imo. Even most of their air defense being hit was a given. I contend that's they were given stingers since they're man portable and require little training.

Russians moving quickly was always expected. That's literally why their military is so mechanized, armor intensive, and with self propelled artillery. Ukrainians were never going to blow up their own infrastructure. Crimea to them is still Ukraine. Cutting off forces from sustainment or retreat would destroy morale. Ukraine can't afford any of that.

Russian lulled Europe and Ukraine into a false sense of reality here. Russia had done annual exercises roughly between February through April in the region for awhile. It wasn't really considered to be imminent by Europe until like the last month. By that time, it was already too late.

You don't have to irretrievably destroy a bridge to make it unusable. Just go out before the war starts and drop a bunch of jersey barriers and dead car bodies parked sideways in a pile. When the Russians come out to try to move the mess to use the bridge sit back and pick them off with the weaponry of your choice. Mobile tanks are hard to stop, but tanks sitting still with other equipment and men trying to make way for them is a less hardened objective.

All of which are going to inhibit the movement of the defending force. I agree that barriers would be effective as opposed to destroying a bridge like was being posited. The checkpoint from Crimea to mainland didn't seem to slow down the Russians and then there was the other border control point that was clearly flattened by Russian mechanized units.

Besides dealing with reallocation of materials, Ukrainians would have had to deal with spreading an already thin force even more thin because as I mentioned, they had lulled themselves into a false sense of security that these were going to be regular exercises like years past.
Rapier108
Keegan99 said:

Just for reference, reactors 5 and 6 were never completed due to reactor #4 going boom.
74OA
AG
On the northern front. Chernobyl
Who?mikejones!
Found a good site to follow movements

https://maphub.net/Cen4infoRes/russian-ukraine-monitor
The Fall Guy
AG
Russian Military transport plane crashes in Southern Russia reported on Al Jazerra. No survivors
erudite

Vyshgorod, Kyiv oblast (20km from Kyiv). Looks to be Mi-8Tvs with possible rocket pods on the side. Probably a VDV Air Assault unit or elements of the Motor Rifle brigades. Most likely the 76th or 7th Guards Air Assault Division.
JobSecurity
AG
Keegan99
AG
JB!98
AG
Seeing some of the Russian tanks with screen's welded to top of the turret. Is that an effective defense to a Javelin attack? I know the Javelin attacks from above and that is the reason for the screen, just wondering if it is effective?

If I remember correctly, we had screens attached to the side of Strykers and AAVs during Iraq to add defense against RPGs.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
AgsMyDude
AG
Keegan99 said:

This is going MUCH rougher than Russia imagined. Ukraine ain't lying down.
Southlake
I haven't seen the Russian People this upset since the sanctions against P@$$& Riot…
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.