***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,606,720 Views | 47849 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by AtticusMatlock
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Kind of pissed to read this on a Sunday. This guy isn't going to live forever. Not to get religious, but is he not afraid of the consequences??
Religious leaders have had no independence from the party since the beginning of the USSR. Just like China's hand picked preachers and lamas
74OA
AG
Putin is in trouble. "Russia's men are showing the world that Putin's "partial mobilization" demonstrates that they don't believe in his war, and thus in his government. And it demonstrates that they don't believe the mobilization is partial at all."

PUTIN'S WAR
74OA
AG
China is steadily becoming Russia's daddy. "While Beijing publicly expresses its continued friendship with Russia, actions speak even louder. China is taking every opportunity to make Russia more dependent on it, and extracting further concessions from its strategic partner."

LOSER
PJYoung
AG

Kind of pissed to read this on a Sunday. This guy isn't going to live forever. Not to get religious, but is he not afraid of the consequences??
The guy sold his soul long ago.

Quote:

As Russia's invasion of Ukraine unfolded, Patriarch Kirill I, the leader of the Moscow-based Russian Orthodox Church, had an awkward Zoom meeting with Pope Francis.

The two religious leaders had previously worked together to bridge a 1,000-year-old schism between the Christian churches of the East and West. But the meeting, in March, found them on opposing sides of a chasm. Kirill spent 20 minutes reading prepared remarks, echoing the arguments of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia that the war in Ukraine was necessary to purge Nazis and oppose NATO expansion.

Francis was evidently flummoxed. "Brother, we are not clerics of the state," the pontiff told Kirill, he later recounted to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, adding that "the patriarch cannot transform himself into Putin's altar boy."

Today, Kirill stands apart not merely from Francis, but from much of the world. The leader of about 100 million faithful, Kirill, 75, has staked the fortunes of his branch of Orthodox Christianity on a close and mutually beneficial alliance with Mr. Putin, offering him spiritual cover while his church and possibly he himself receives vast resources in return from the Kremlin, allowing him to extend his influence in the Orthodox world.

To his critics, the arrangement has made Kirill far more than another apparatchik, oligarch or enabler of Mr. Putin, but an essential part of the nationalist ideology at the heart of the Kremlin's expansionist designs.
Quote:

Like practically all elite Russian clerics of the era, Kirill is believed to have collaborated with the K.G.B., where Mr. Putin learned his early trade.
Quote:

Soon afterward, reports of luxurious apartments owned by Kirill and his family surfaced in the Russian media. Other unconfirmed rumors of billions of dollars in secret bank accounts, Swiss chalets and yachts began to swirl.

A news website dug up a photograph from 2009 in which Kirill wore a Breguet Rveil du Tsar model watch, worth about $30,000, a marker of membership to the Russian elite.

After his church sought to airbrush the timepiece out of existence, and Kirill denied ever wearing it, its remaining reflection on a polished table prompted an embarrassing apology from the church.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/21/world/europe/kirill-putin-russian-orthodox-church.html
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

China is steadily becoming Russia's daddy. "While Beijing publicly expresses its continued friendship with Russia, actions speak even louder. China is taking every opportunity to make Russia more dependent on it, and extracting further concessions from its strategic partner."

LOSER

Putin gambled big and lost big. We are witnessing the crumbling of an empire that terrified the world for generations. Now we get to see what snake slithers into that power vacuum. Probably China as mentioned but not sure how much real benefit they are really going to get in the end if they continue to leech off the dying corpse of Putins Russia.
ABATTBQ11
AG
A few hundred pages back, someone posted a link that talked about how Russian states might separate themselves before any overthrow of Putin because of how Russian politics work at the national and local levels. I could see that happening with this mobilization pissing off localities.
CondensedFogAggie
agent-maroon said:

He's the head of the "church" by appointment from the Russian government. He should not be confused with the spiritual leader of a Christian church. Literally a totalitarian tool.
Thanks, looks like Bartholomew 1, the spiritual leader of the Eastern Orthodox Christians and equivalent to the Pope is against Russia and the war.
CondensedFogAggie

Quote:

NASAMS (National/Norwegian Advanced Surface to Air Missile System) is a distributed and networked short- to medium-range ground-based air defense system developed by Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace (KDA) and Raytheon. The system defends against unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), helicopters, cruise missiles, unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAVs), and aircraft

They received 2 batteries. Not near enough, but a start.
74OA
AG

Quote:

NASAMS (National/Norwegian Advanced Surface to Air Missile System) is a distributed and networked short- to medium-range ground-based air defense system developed by Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace (KDA) and Raytheon. The system defends against unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), helicopters, cruise missiles, unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAVs), and aircraft

They received 2 batteries. Not near enough, but a start.
I wonder which AIM-120 version and illuminating radar went with it?
CondensedFogAggie

NATO members will hold an 'extraordinary meeting' on weapons production.

Quote:

Jens Stoltenberg, the NATO secretary general, has called for a special meeting of arms directors of the alliance on Tuesday to discuss Russia's war in Ukraine and ways to replenish the stockpiles of member nations that have been supplied Ukraine with weapons, an official at the organization said.

And on Wednesday, arms directors from the Ukraine Defense Contact Group are scheduled to meet, said the NATO official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the planning. The group is made up of about 50 nations that have promised to help Ukraine defend itself against Russia.

The aim of the meeting on Wednesday is to look at ways to further support Ukraine with ammunition and equipment deliveries, the official said. The U.S. government will host the meeting in Brussels.
https://archive.ph/Doi5o#selection-1333.0-1333.287
CondensedFogAggie

Serbia, one of Russia's closest friends in Europe, is saying this.
agent-maroon
AG
I'm beginning to wonder if civil unrest followed by martial law is Putin's imagined off ramp. Have to pull the troops back to quell some sort of BS Western supported rebellion. Lame attempt to save face with his own government. I don't think that this saves him from a coup induced suicide, but it would give his replacement cover to crack down and pull out of Ukraine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CondensedFogAggie

Russia, your incompetence is Ukraines gain I suppose.
2wealfth Man
AG
agent-maroon said:

Putin about to get his pretext for declaring martial law.
One wonders how much manpower and state resources are they now expending on this mobilization effort. Good lord, is anyone doing anything of value in Russia currently. Looks like the wheels are starting to wobble to me. Video and after video of protests. Putin may have pulled the pin and thrown it away this time.
CondensedFogAggie

'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell'

An interview with a Moscow professional who just quit Russia to escape Vladimir Putin's military draft

Quote:

[After the mobilization announcement] This latest wave of Russia's exodus included Anton Shalaev, a 38-year-old senior manager at an IT company, and 15 colleagues. On less than a day's notice, these men of military age all left their relatively comfortable lives in downtown Moscow to fly to Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. Because of Putin's war, Shalaev tossed a book, an iPad, and a laptop in a backpack and got out of Dodge.

Nemtsova: What was your escape like?

Shalaev: Unlike state-owned companies such as Yandex or the Mail.ru Group, which are making their employees stay, we were independent of government funding, so we made an immediate decision to relocate.

The atmosphere at passport control in the airport was quiet but tense; men waiting for the flight around me were exchanging alerted glances. I had bought my ticket right before the announcementwe were already hearing rumors of the mobilizationso it cost me only about $300. But my colleagues got their tickets the next day, and they cost more than $1,000.

The departure was super stressful. The border guards took each of my friends aside into a small room, interrogated them, asked if they had ever served in the military, and if not, why not. And you know that type of sly border official making their little jokes: "Aha, you are leaving on the day of conscription." Of course, they checked whether our names were in the database for the mobilization.

Nemtsova: What do you think of the Kremlin's decision making?

Shalaev: A few old men and an army of zombies are leading us to hell. I say that because people around me in Russia behaved as if they had been bitten by a zombie, dragging my entire country into a dreadful war. All I saw was Russian loser husbands beating their wives, while the entire rotting house of the state system has turned my people into an army of the dead.

Nemtsova: What do you know of the situation in Ukraine?

Shalaev: I constantly follow the war news in Ukraineand I seek out the best, most objective analysts. My main sources on the atrocities are Ukrainian refugees from cities bombed by Russian forces.
I realize that I would rather go to prison than go to fight against the Ukrainian army. I openly embrace my antiwar position. I urge my social-media followers to donate to Ukrainians. This entire war is a crime against humanity.

Nemtsova: What do you think of the Russian state media?

Shalaev: Russian propaganda is a weapon, and the *******s working there are war criminals. The greatest guilt in this entire tragedy belongs to a small bunch of old men at the top: KGB officers.

Nemtsova: Do you yourself feel guilt?

Shalaev: I blame myself for our careless life, for our hedonism. We were completely relaxed, a bunch of computer geeks enjoying a happy and comfortable decade of Moscow life, creating and playing our games. We thought the entire country was like us; we did not know our country.
On February 24, when the invasion of Ukraine began, it became clear to me that the old man had nothing to lose. He is a psychopath and does not care what happens to us all, to our economy, to our future.
My only hope is that he has some instinct for self-protection that will stop him from nuking us all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/09/russia-exile-putin-military-draft/671541/
74OA
AG

Additionally, the US and Germany have put billions into an account for Ukraine so it can buy new weapons directly from manufacturers.
Proc92
What would happen if a coup by a pro democracy/pro west faction was successful and took over with the new Russia wanting to join nato? Is that even possible? Or is it a foregone conclusion that any coup would be by hardliners who want to keep the anti west attitude?
lb3
AG
Those aren't for use against drones, or even SU-25s. If they have only two batteries, they will likely rush them to the northern border and try to take down the strategic bombers lobbing cruise missiles into Ukraine.
CondensedFogAggie

Seven more ships with agricultural products leave Ukrainian ports

Quote:

"On September 25, as part of the implementation of the grain initiative, seven ships loaded with 146,200 tonnes of agricultural products left the ports of Odesa, Chornomorsk, and Pivdennyi bound for the countries of Africa, Asia, and Europe," the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine posted on Facebook.

It is noted that MOONLIGHT, CHIOS FREEDOM left Odesa port. Bulk carriers HERMES, BLUE STAR, SUPER MARTINELLI departed from Chornomorsk port. ATA 2, ASPASIA LUCK left Pivdennyi port.

According to the Infrastructure Ministry data, 4.85 million tonnes of agricultural products have already been exported since the departure of the first ship with Ukrainian foodstuffs.

A total of 218 ships loaded with agricultural products have left Ukrainian ports bound for countries in Asia, Europe, and Africa.

As reported, Ukraine, Turkey, Russia, and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres signed the initiative on the safe transportation of grain and foodstuffs from the ports of Odesa, Chornomorsk, and Pivdennyi at the proposal of the United Nations in Istanbul on July 22.

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-economy/3579220-seven-more-ships-with-agricultural-products-leave-ukrainian-ports.html
Not a Bot
AG

CondensedFogAggie
74OA
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

At this point in the war, hard to believe any government function is still using known peacetime office buildings, unless there's also a bunker underneath.
GAC06
AG
lb3 said:

Those aren't for use against drones, or even SU-25s. If they have only two batteries, they will likely rush them to the northern border and try to take down the strategic bombers lobbing cruise missiles into Ukraine.

They don't have the range for that.

They're for Su-25's, other tactical jets and UAV's. And potentially the cruise missiles themselves
CondensedFogAggie

Battlefield Hotlines Let U.S. Military Keep Ukraine's Weapons Firing

https://www.wsj.com/articles/battlefield-hotlines-let-u-s-military-keep-ukraines-weapons-firing-11664009094

Quote:

ON A MILITARY BASE, PolandNear where weapons and equipment donated by the U.S. and other alliescross the border into Ukraine, a group of 55 U.S. troops and translators on iPads fielded repair queries about weapons that are already on the battlefield, via secure chat apps.

There are 14 chats for each major weapon system, forming a makeshift wartime telemaintenance network for fighters who are using weapons well beyond the limits for which they were designed.

Photos of barrels worn down by repeated firings arrived over chat from Ukrainians asking how to make the ordnance more accurate even with rifling stripped away. Front-line soldiers sent videos asking how to salvage weapons that otherwise would be considered irreparable and what fixes were needed to keep them working.

Mr. Reznikov said that Ukraine has begun carrying out some complex repairs of Western-style armaments in Ukraine and mastered the production of around 10% of needed spare parts, sometimes even without technical documentation.

The chats began unofficially after the first nine Ukrainian troops who were trained to keep the weapons running returned to Ukraine and started contacting their teachers for advice via text messages. By June, the U.S. military codified the chats, arranging for troops from Army Materiel Command, which is responsible for the U.S. Army's equipment, and Ukrainian translators to talk to Ukrainian fighters from inside a building near where the donated weapons entered Ukraine.

As of earlier this month, the U.S. said all 16 Himarsthe mobile rocket systems that Ukrainians have said were key in their reclaiming of territoryremain operational. One reason, soldiers here said, is that through the chats they have saved damaged Himars that otherwise would have come off the battlefield.

During a recent firing mission, the advanced weapon system's computer displayed an error message that the Ukrainian didn't know how to resolve. The army lieutenant initiated a video chat with a U.S. instructor, who then used Google Translate to send back instructions in Ukrainian.
Fascinating article, highly recommend reading. Can someone paste a free link?
CondensedFogAggie

Gilligan
AG
Yeah, I don't think that's how it works.

I get they're looking for buy-in, but that's a little too far. It's up there with the 72 virgins.
74OA
AG
Keep the war memorial. Lose its display of tanks and artillery. Their purpose is not to commemorate Russian war dead, but to remind Germany what happens if it screws with Moscow. BERLIN
Waffledynamics
AG
Malibu
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

LOSER

Putin gambled big and lost big. We are witnessing the crumbling of an empire that terrified the world for generations. Now we get to see what snake slithers into that power vacuum. Probably China as mentioned but not sure how much real benefit they are really going to get in the end if they continue to leech off the dying corpse of Putins Russia.

If Russia loses badly they are for a better fit for Europe than they are for Asia. Once western Germany was tamed they have been an asset for the West. If Russia collapses, Europe and the US better magnanimously step in to help fill the political vacuum with pro-West reformers and try to bring the warm embrace of free speech and capitalism to the Russian people. A boy can dream.
Eliminatus
AG
Malibu2 said:

Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

LOSER

If Russia loses badly they are for a better fit for Europe than they are for Asia. Once western Germany was tamed they have been an asset for the West. If Russia collapses, Europe and the US better magnanimously step in to help fill the political vacuum with pro-West reformers and try to bring the warm embrace of free speech and capitalism to the Russian people. A boy can dream.

Aye. We can hope. One way or another I just don't see Putin being alive in the long term. Much less in power. Just not sure what his country will look like. Like you, hope someone puts a bullet in him and a sane and reasonable leader takes over. If this drags on for years yet, does Russia even stay together? Coin toss IMO.

Either way, I, along with so many other far smarter and more versed, don't think Russias current actions are sustainable in the least and are probably hastening the end. Whatever that may be.

I've been expecting a mobilization for some time now but now that it is here my initial assumed outputs from this have changed somewhat. Putin is erratic and that leaves soooo many variables up to chance. Because let us be honest. At this point it is almost a one man show. I and the rest of us are just left holding our breath and waiting.

God Putin needs to hurry up and die.
txags92
AG
74OA said:

Additionally, the US and Germany have put billions into an account for Ukraine so it can buy new weapons directly from manufacturers.
Tacit admission that buying things through the DoD procurement process would make the weapons way more expensive than they need to be. With Ukraine able to pick up the phone and tell them what they want, they can probably get the weapons at 1/3-1/2 the cost that DoD pays for them.
PJYoung
AG
Malibu2 said:

Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

LOSER

Feels impossible that it doesn't splinter.
LMCane
agent-maroon said:

I did watch that video and even commented on him being used as bait in a previous post. Guess I was thinking that there might be some semblance of camaraderie in the trenches vs what one would see from their command, but y'all are probably right that there wouldn't be. Having to fight an enemy and the people surrounding you on your own side in battle is such a foreign way of thinking to me.
ever since the war began

there are videos of tanks taking off with men dropping and falling into the road,

or trucks taking off leaving guys running after them,

or guys running away from the trenches leaving others behind,

or masses of dead Russians being left in ditches and in the fields as their "tovarisch" head for the hills.
LMCane
2wealfth Man said:

ouch, still smoking. Assuming NLAW's or Javelins. 2nd one is tipped sideways in a pond. Must be around Kupyansk

anyone else notice the tracks and bogey wheels on the first tank are still spinning?!?!
Waffledynamics
AG
These were from last night.

First Page Last Page
Page 778 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.