***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,598,759 Views | 47845 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Waffledynamics
ATX_AG_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

It's an inert training projectile (blue) re-mounted on expended brass (empty). Most anyone who passed through the A-10 community got one as a farewell gift of some sort, usually engraved.

Correct. It's a empty/spent casing holding a PGU-15/B TP (Target Practice) projectile.

There's also:
PGU-14/B API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) (DU - depleted uranium)
PGU-13/B HEI (High Explosive Incendiary)
ABATTBQ11
AG
Britain potentially giving Ukraine Harpoons
aggiehawg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Britain potentially giving Ukraine Harpoons
Which type?
ttu_85
Burrus86 said:

FriscoKid said:

Are some of those rounds deflecting off? Is that what we are seeing?
That is how you build a fire under somebody's ass!
Tracer rounds bouncing off. The other 4 of 5 or whatever ratio didnt. Nice.
AgLA06
AG
ttu_85 said:

Burrus86 said:

FriscoKid said:

Are some of those rounds deflecting off? Is that what we are seeing?
That is how you build a fire under somebody's ass!
Tracer rounds bouncing off. The other 4 of 5 or whatever ratio didnt. Nice.

Maybe. It appeared you could see the impacts of the rounds that missed and I only saw it on tracer rounds.
Rossticus
Israel's inclusion on this list is interesting. If it's an official mutual defense alliance then you basically have the building blocks to avoid a lot of extraneous NATO politics by working directly with those countries who have resources and not the LoL poors. Also presents possibilities with regard to Israel if it is a true defensive alliance. Possibilities are intriguing.

ATX_AG_08
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
TRM
AG
aggiehawg
AG
30 miles west of Luhansk, barely inside the Luhansk region?
Ag In Ok
AG
Rossticus said:

Israel's inclusion on this list is interesting. If it's an official mutual defense alliance then you basically have the building blocks to avoid a lot of extraneous NATO politics by working directly with those countries who have resources and not the LoL poors. Also presents possibilities with regard to Israel if it is a true defensive alliance. Possibilities are intriguing.

Both Israeli and turkey on the same side is no small accomplishment.
GAC06
AG
Turkey was the first Muslim country to recognize Israel way back in 1949. They work together on defense projects extensively.
ATX_AG_08
AG
He's pleading for weapons. He's saying he can't find more 7.62 magazines, which I find crazy. Going into battle with only 3 mags and one grenade. Dude wants to fight. Arm him.

Eliminatus
AG
P.U.T.U said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I imagine not every round has a tracer on it but I could be wrong. The rear hull armor is only going to be an inch or two thick at most so HEAT or APFSDS could penetrate and kill the engine or start a fire, disabling the vehicle.
SOP for the USA is every 5th round is a tracer. I have heard of some countries doing anywhere from 3-6

For machine guns yes, for larger slow firing cannon it is not. It's all or nothing generally speaking. The cannons on APCs are not spray and pray but are treated as single shot weapons. Similar to our own 30s and 25s which every round has a tracer component.
Rossticus
He's not wrong. We need to quit ferking around. Hopefully with the pass of lend/lease there will be a significant uptick in the rate of provision since it should circumvent some legislative budgetary and procedural hurdles and make it a more purely administrative and logistical task to get things moving quickly.
Ag In Ok
AG
GAC06 said:

Turkey was the first Muslim country to recognize Israel way back in 1949. They work together on defense projects extensively.

Their relationship has fallen quite a ways down. They aren't on good terms now.
txags92
AG
GAC06 said:

Yeah, but Erdogan has taken Turkey away from the secularism enforced by the Turkish military and has embraced Islam. Lately, Turkey has not been a friend of Israel to the degree they have in the past.
Ulysses90
AG
GAC06 said:

They used to under Ozal when Turkey was still proud of its secularist heritage. Not so much since the Islamist Erdoan took power.
ATX_AG_08
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
A land mine that can detect when people walk nearby. Russians are pure evil.
Ulrich
A few factors to consider with Turkey. It borders Georgia, Armenia, and Bulgaria, all former Soviet bloc countries. It owns the Bosporus so peace in the Black Sea is very important to its economy. Georgia and now Ukraine, just across the Black Sea, have been invaded by Russia in the last ten years. And Turkey has some large pipelines from the Caucasus and Middle East either existing or planned. Last, if Russia is making this a holy war on behalf of an increasingly muscular and expansionist Eastern Orthodoxy, and Turkey is increasingly Islamic, they have religious reasons to fear or hamper Russia.

That's economy, security, and religion. Any one of those can make for strange bedfellows, and Turkey has always been a little hard to predict in that respect, even back hundreds of years.
GAC06
AG
Ag In Ok said:

GAC06 said:

Their relationship has fallen quite a ways down. They aren't on good terms now.

You are correct, I hadn't realized the shift since 2010ish.

Syria and the Kurds is a complicated issue for Russia, Turkey, and Israel.

The most recent and perhaps influential issue was the Nagorno-Karabakh war in 2020. Turkey hates Armenians maybe more than Kurds. Russia backed Armenia, Turkey backed Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan won using a lot of the same drone tactics Ukraine is using.
bonfarr
AG
Ukes need to booby trap washing machines and liquor bottles when it looks like the Russians are moving into a town.
RebelE Infantry
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Kinda par for the course in war if we're being honest.
RebelE Infantry
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

He's pleading for weapons. He's saying he can't find more 7.62 magazines, which I find crazy. Going into battle with only 3 mags and one grenade. Dude wants to fight. Arm him.

I mean, I get it, but he signed up to go fight for a notoriously corrupt former Soviet state that's the poorest in Europe. What exactly did he expect?
Rossticus
Rossticus
Full thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1512081319701884939.html

deddog
AG
PJYoung said:

A land mine that can detect when people walk nearby. Russians are pure evil.
Tactically, it's a useful weapon when retreating. Slows down the advance of the Ukrainians. We all know that the Ruskies don't give a **** about collateral damage or lives.
deddog
AG
Rossticus said:

Full thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1512081319701884939.html

From Russian Ukrainians no doubt.
deddog
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

I mean, I get it, but he signed up to go fight for a notoriously corrupt former Soviet state that's the poorest in Europe. What exactly did he expect?
I do't think he expected much more from the Ukranians. He does expect more from the West.
Cynical, but the fact is, that Americans/Westerner dying in Ukraine actually helps the Ukrainian cause
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG

MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr said:

Taking the start of this list from BattleGrackle, I'm starting a diplomat AND EMBASSY STAFF expulsion cumulative post. I welcome corrections.

Total diplomats expelled to date as of this post: 433

Belgium - 21 (Mar 29), 19 (Apr 5)
Bulgaria - 10 (Mar 18)
Czech Republic - 1 (Mar 29)
Denmark - 15 (Apr 5)
Estonia - 3 (Mar 18), 14 (Apr 5)
France - 35 (Apr 4)
Germany - 40 (Apr 4)
Greece - 12 (Apr 6)
Italy - 30 (Apr 5)
Ireland - 4 (Mar 29)
Japan - 8 (Apr 8)
Latvia - 3* (Mar 18), 13 (Apr 5)
Lithuania - 4* (Mar 18), ambassador also expelled (Apr 4)
Montenegro - 1 (Apr 4)
Netherlands - 17 (Mar 29)
North Macedonia - 5 (Mar 28)
Norway - 3 (Apr 6)
Poland - 45 (Mar 23)
Portugal - 10 (Apr 5)
Romania - 10 (Apr 5)
Slovakia - 3 (Mar 14), 35 (Mar 31)
Slovenia - 33 (Apr 5)
Spain - 25 (Apr 5)
Sweden - 3 (Apr 5)
USA - 12 (Feb 28)

* In March a joint statement from Baltic states was released that 10 diplomats were being expelled, 7 between Lithuania and Latvia

Feel free to add/edit

Japan expelled 8 diplomats today.
First Page Last Page
Page 455 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.