***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,630,512 Views | 47859 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossticus
TRM
AG
Rossticus said:

Rossticus
GAC06
AG
If it's the switchblades, it doesn't look like a lot of training is required
Rossticus
GAC06 said:

If it's the switchblades, it doesn't look like a lot of training is required

EDIT

Poster below confirmed that Switchblades already in-country so, between this and the below tweet, these do indeed appear to be a different drone. Kick ass.

Rossticus
PJYoung
AG
lb3
AG
Salute CornPops Message said:

GAC06 said:

There's not any evidence that Putin is irrational. He miscalculated but that's not the same thing.
So you agree in his rational reason for attacking Ukraine to free Russian speaking people from Nazi bioweapon creating terrorists????
Putin is absolutely ruthless in his pursuits and barbaric in his methods but that doesn't make him irrational. Not only is he currently a rational actor, he can be relied upon to pursue his vision for Russia and the world.

As other Russian officials have stated, this is about altering the current world order more so than any military objective that could be achieved in Ukraine. It is NOT now and never was about denazification.

One can believe he is acting rationally within his value structure without agreeing with his values.

To bring this discussion back to tactics and strategy; faced with crippling economic sanctions, Putin is likely to start using his remaining economic tools in an attempt to get the West to withdraw support for Ukraine. Then after capturing the Ukrainian costal areas he will seek an off-ramp.

But again, Ukraine isn't his objective, breaking up the EU and NATO are bigger goals and he has done a masterful job exposing Germany's unwillingness to make sacrifices for the good of the alliance. That fissure will not be soon forgotten by Poland or the Baltic states.
JFABNRGR
AG
Waffledynamics said:

LMCane said:

Waffledynamics said:

Looking at https://liveuamap.com/ today, the South seems much more red. What happened to the Uke counter attacks? All dead?

Mariupol is so deep in that sea of red. My God.
That doesn't look accurate compared to what our boy drawing his own maps was stating last night.

Melitopol has been discussed here and I have never heard that it is surrounded- yet on THIS map it is completely surrounded.

Mariopol can't hold out for very long before it is going to be entirely destroyed.

Can you link to the particular post?

Also, is there any Uke counterattack in the South that we know of?
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194

The map above mostly concurs, but remember they're also mainly concentrated on roads though in the south they may be a lot more spread out on more stable ground.

The Uke counter in the south was also hit with missile that killed over 45 soldiers so that likely put a big check on that counter.

Other large Uke ammo dumps/trans, the big hit on 4-5 MRLS, and the shooting down now of several TB2s is going to hurt. In my estimates for the Ukes to stall advance need to maintain 1:3 losses; to repel that needs to jump to 1:4-5. Now that the russians are using drones and a lot of long range precision munitions its going to be very hard to maintain 1:3 and I bet when we check Orynx tomorrow we will sadly see this begin to digress for Ukraine. Any improvements to air defense including anti-drone need to get operational ASAP, until then we can pray for several days of very low cloud cover.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Rossticus
RebelE Infantry
AG
Rossticus said:

This was a legitimate target. UKR forces were using the gym as an ammunition depot and firing MLRS from the vicinity.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
Rossticus
When was that info released/confirmed? If you could post it that would be a big help since the video of the missile hit didn't appear to show any MLRS presence or active military presence.
JFABNRGR
AG
worse it was housing 4-5 MRLS units probably just knocked out 30-40% of what was defending Kviv.

https://funker530.com/video/russian-mod-releases-footage-of-missile-strike-on-kyiv-shopping-mall/
RebelE Infantry
AG
Rossticus said:

When was that info released/confirmed? If you could post it that would be a big help since the video of the missile hit didn't appear to show any MLRS presence or active military presence.

JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

See my post above with russian drone footage.
Rossticus
Thx. Appreciate addition of the extra detail as I hadn't come across it yet. Hadn't seen the rest of the video released by Russian MOD yet.
Dawg6
AG
USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Ukraine does have over 800 tanks. I hope they understand how best to utilize them in this. May be pretty important to keep the supply lines to Kyiv open, for one thing.
From what i am seeing, it appears that the era of the armored vehicle is over. They appear to be obsoleted by man portable missiles now. Hell close air aupport may not be far behind.

Id be advancing those darpa/heinlein armored infantry suits now and forget about tanks. Theyre only useful against civilians now it seems.

No. Armor will catch up. We'll likely see more scuff countermeasures to defeat ATGM's, like electronic countermeasures to defeat their seeker heads or lasers or something to actively shoot them down.

Right...the "gun v. armor" race will continue. And the Russians aren't/can't using them right. The tank is "dead" has been a mantra for decades that has been proven wrong again and again.
As a former tanker I am amazed at the lack of combined arms used by the Russians. Additionally, the lack of training, poor PMCS (maintenance) and logistics is shockingly bad. Tanks should rarely operate alone but that's what I'm seeing.
Tanks aren't dead if operated correctly. The lack of a professional NCO corps is a huge problem as well.
PJYoung
AG
Dawg6 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Ukraine does have over 800 tanks. I hope they understand how best to utilize them in this. May be pretty important to keep the supply lines to Kyiv open, for one thing.
From what i am seeing, it appears that the era of the armored vehicle is over. They appear to be obsoleted by man portable missiles now. Hell close air aupport may not be far behind.

Id be advancing those darpa/heinlein armored infantry suits now and forget about tanks. Theyre only useful against civilians now it seems.

No. Armor will catch up. We'll likely see more scuff countermeasures to defeat ATGM's, like electronic countermeasures to defeat their seeker heads or lasers or something to actively shoot them down.

Right...the "gun v. armor" race will continue. And the Russians aren't/can't using them right. The tank is "dead" has been a mantra for decades that has been proven wrong again and again.
As a former tanker I am amazed at the lack of combined arms used by the Russians. Additionally, the lack of training, poor PMCS (maintenance) and logistics is shockingly bad. Tanks should rarely operate alone but that's what I'm seeing.
Tanks aren't dead if operated correctly. The lack of a professional NCO corps is a huge problem as well.

It's speculated that a lot of the solo tanks you see are just plain lost. Lack of comms is a huge issue for the Russians.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
So we've now established and publicly told Putin and the world that he has free reign to do essentially anything he wants to the Ukrainian people without consequence. Why do we keep doing this. It's like we're trying to encourage him to escalate?

BlueSmoke
Rossticus said:

I want to see what those shells can do when they hit!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
74OA
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Waffledynamics said:

LMCane said:

Waffledynamics said:

Looking at https://liveuamap.com/ today, the South seems much more red. What happened to the Uke counter attacks? All dead?

Mariupol is so deep in that sea of red. My God.
That doesn't look accurate compared to what our boy drawing his own maps was stating last night.

Melitopol has been discussed here and I have never heard that it is surrounded- yet on THIS map it is completely surrounded.

Mariopol can't hold out for very long before it is going to be entirely destroyed.

Can you link to the particular post?

Also, is there any Uke counterattack in the South that we know of?
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194

The map above mostly concurs, but remember they're also mainly concentrated on roads though in the south they may be a lot more spread out on more stable ground.

The Uke counter in the south was also hit with missile that killed over 45 soldiers so that likely put a big check on that counter.

Other large Uke ammo dumps/trans, the big hit on 4-5 MRLS, and the shooting down now of several TB2s is going to hurt. In my estimates for the Ukes to stall advance need to maintain 1:3 losses; to repel that needs to jump to 1:4-5. Now that the russians are using drones and a lot of long range precision munitions its going to be very hard to maintain 1:3 and I bet when we check Orynx tomorrow we will sadly see this begin to digress for Ukraine. Any improvements to air defense including anti-drone need to get operational ASAP, until then we can pray for several days of very low cloud cover.
This thing will inevitably have its ups and downs for both sides, but the trend line is against the Russians so far.

Navalnyy just needs to hold his nerve and let the body count continue to stack up with Russian families back home.
74OA
AG
SITREP
Rossticus
Rossticus
PJYoung
AG
That was fast.

PJYoung
AG
Rossticus
Any increased action would have to be done unilaterally by willing countries as Hungary signals to block any unified action by NATO or EU. Wouldn't surprise me if they blocked a legit Article 5 response, were it necessary, based on their posture.

PJYoung
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 368 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.