***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

6,943,237 Views | 45809 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by 74OA
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinzhals are modified ground-to-ground ballistic missiles that have been converted to an air-launch platform. The tech has been around for a while. People call them "hypersonic" because they technically meet the speed criteria at some point in their journey to a target but they do not have the maneuverability and guidance of what most think about when talking about modern hypersonic weapons.

These are *not* the modern "hypersonics" such as maneuverable scramjets and HGVs that will present extensive challenges in the future. The low-flying scramjet cruise missiles in development now would be magnitudes more difficult for a Patriot to shoot down.
Waffledynamics
AG
Mariupol and Berdyansk got hit by long range missiles.

Waffledynamics
AG
74OA
AG
Not a Bot said:

Kinzhals are modified ground-to-ground ballistic missiles that have been converted to an air-launch platform. The tech has been around for a while. People call them "hypersonic" because they technically meet the speed criteria at some point in their journey to a target but they do not have the maneuverability and guidance of what most think about when talking about modern hypersonic weapons.

These are *not* the modern "hypersonics" such as maneuverable scramjets and HGVs that will present extensive challenges in the future. The low-flying scramjet cruise missiles in development now would be magnitudes more difficult for a Patriot to shoot down.
Kinzhals are very maneuverable, they just aren't glide weapons. The article isn't dismissing hypersonics, but simply pointing out that even modern versions may not be as invulnerable as has been assumed.

"In particular, reports about the speeds and ranges of these (modern) weapons imply that they begin the glide phase of their trajectory with a speed of about Mach 12 or less. Their speed decreases due to atmospheric drag during the glide phase especially if they are maneuvering significantly and will decrease even further as they dive into the thick atmosphere on their way to their targets on the ground. My estimates show that these effects will likely make these systems vulnerable to interception by systems similar to current versions of PAC-3, although intercepting them may require the advanced PAC-3 MSE."

"Adding propulsion, such as scramjet engines being developed for hypersonic cruise missiles, could help the weapon maintain its speed during the glide phase. But these engines are unlikely to be powerful enough to help much against the exponentially increasing drag encountered during the dive phase, which could leave these weapons vulnerable to interception."
74OA
AG
Drone boat attack on Russian ship keeps getting weirder.

????????
TH36
Well my wife got stuck in a traffic jam in Luling cause a train full of tanks and Humvee's is broke down through town.

Bet I know where all that is headed.

On edit: I asked her if they had a "huge" main gun and she said yes so it sounds like Abrams.
Waffledynamics
AG
I saw a similar train with what looked like Abrams and Bradleys last weekend in The Tine. Wonder if it was the same one or at least in the same run of things.
wildmen09
AG
I said it earlier, but likely not. Remember we ship all equipment to Europe for rotations out there.
aezmvp
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

The F16 thing is interesting. Had dinner with some people about 6 months ago. A guy there i hadn't met before works for Lockheed and has been in the F35 program and the F22 program prior. I was talking with him about work, and it came up that he was moving to the F16. I kind of paused for a second in the conversation because I was trying to find a more socially appropriate way to ask "Did you screw up and get demoted?", but instead asked "What is Lockheed doing sending a guy with your development experience to a near 50 year old aircraft?" He started to say something, stopped and then just said, "I can't really talk about it but there some changes were going to make on them"
Probably has to do with their AI experiments. More sensors, strengthening frame, bigger control surfaces (g force Grey out red out not a factor).
Not a Bot
AG
It's been speculated since we have so many F-16s laying around they are going to turn them into attack drones. Load them up with anti-radiation missiles and AI, use them as part of a first wave counter-SAM without risking pilots or an expensive airframe.
Waffledynamics
AG
Seems like a waste of ammo, unless the drone and its munition are one of those dirt cheap ones.

Waffledynamics
AG
Smart idea by this Russian to surrender.

Link as it's somehow deemed adult content despite no violence/gore.
ABATTBQ11
AG
74OA said:

Drone boat attack on Russian ship keeps getting weirder.

????????

Can't help but notice all of the Russian's video is of the starboard side, while the hit(s) were on the port side. Seems very strategic.
Waffledynamics
AG
Russian Telegrams suggest that Mariupol hit may have been a mass casualty event.

RogerEnright
In the old days insurgency meant pulling the trigger / setting the bomb yourself. Now with longer range weapons, a timely 'tip' can produce significant results with less risk.
RogerEnright
If it is true that that target was only a day old, that is a very impressive reaction time.
Not a Bot
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Things are spicy again in the Southeast:

Quote:

Missile strike reported near port in Berdiansk in occupied part of Zaporizhzhia region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-missile-strike-reported-near-port-in-berdiansk-in

Quote:

Explosions in Mariupol near railway station
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-explosions-in-mariupol-near-railway-station-

Quote:

Explosions in Nikolske near Mariupol
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-explosions-in-nikolske-near-mariupol-

The above are represented by the blue icons in the below map screenshot. I included Zaporizhzhia in the top left for geographical reference.

Waffledynamics
AG
Belgorod got some spiciness, too.

Posted 10 hours ago:

Quote:

Drone has dropped 2 explosive devices at power station in Belgorod
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-drone-has-dropped-2-explosive-devices-at-power-station

Quote:

Drone has dropped explosive device on police station in Mayski village of Belgorod region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-drone-has-dropped-explosive-device-on-police-station

Posted 7 hours ago:

Quote:

Shelling reported in Schebekyne town of Belgorod region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-shelling-reported-in-schebekyne-town-of-belgorod-region

Quote:

Violent explosions and fire in Schebekyne
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/27-may-violent-explosions-and-fire-in-schebekyne

These are represented the red "mushroom cloud" icons in the below map screenshot:

GinMan
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
2wealfth Man
AG
More Shebekino footage

japantiger
S
What is the latest best guestimate on the number of US personnel (Special Forces, "trainers", CIA contractors, etc.) present in the Ukraine?
CondensedFogAggie

Very well made Ukraine counteroffensive trailer sort of video

Quote:

"Lord our father in heaven, bless us.... may my hand be firm, let my eyes be clear, let my weapon be in good order, to slay our enemies"

ABATTBQ11
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Seems like a waste of ammo, unless the drone and its munition are one of those dirt cheap ones.

Looks like a cheap quadcopter with explosives strapped to it. Probably a decent strike if it disabled the truck. Probably not sophisticated enough to take out armor, but a transport vehicle can be just at good. That would help limit that unit's ability to transport men and material, so more guys are walking and/or they're having fewer munitions.
aezmvp
ABATTBQ11 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Looks like a cheap quadcopter with explosives strapped to it. Probably a decent strike if it disabled the truck. Probably not sophisticated enough to take out armor, but a transport vehicle can be just at good. That would help limit that unit's ability to transport men and material, so more guys are walking and/or they're having fewer munitions.
The other thing to remember is that a disabled tank is worth little more than a destroyed one. A drone could take out a tank tread and stop it. If you're working in spotting teams, which the video at least implies that they are, then you're supplementing an attack on a disabled tank with artillery or hunter-killer anti-tank teams. A javelin has a published range of 1.5+ miles. If you know where you are and you know where that tank is you could put one on it from a good distance out.

And any drone and munition combo is going to be cheaper than a truck, tank or apc. And the Russians have lost a LOT of tanks (and everything else). At the start of the war published numbers were around 3500 active duty tanks and at least 10,000 in storage. They probably had more in deep storage depots and God only knows that number. But the Russians have lost almost 10,000 visually verified tanks killed or captured. Over 10,000 if you include damaged and abandoned. Hell Russia has been transferring T-54s which started service in the mid-50s as artillery pieces b/c of the lack of 125, 122 and 150 mm ammunition. I think those stopped being exported in the 70s.

Long story short a $250 or $500 drone and a munition that can disable and lead to a tank being taken out when the Russians are saying they only have ~2,000 active tanks is a huge win. The number of modern tanks left in the Russian inventory is probably south of 2,000 and they flat out don't have a way to replace them at a high enough rate. The best estimates I've seen from open source information is that at best the Russians can manufacture 20 tanks a month (they announced an increase to this in February but I don't think that's close) and refurbish 70 per month. That will back fill less than 13% of their monthly losses. If you're wondering why you haven't seen an extensive counter offensive you may have analysts telling the Uke general staff that if we keep up this erosion in their tank forces the Russians will be effectively out of tanks by October.

The Russians are building some extensive fortifications across southern Ukraine, to be sure, but if the Russians essentially don't have a tank force or any effective mobile reserve with real striking power that tanks represent then that could be a major reason for the Ukes to be holding off on a counter offensive to try and drive on Mariupol which would seem the most logical way to center an axis of advance to endanger Russian positions in Crimea.

Without a military intervention from China, the Russians can't afford for this to go on much longer. I'd check back with Oryx's blog every month or so to check on the run rate of Russian tank losses and that'll be a good indication of the remainder left. Get to 12,000 Russian tank losses or higher by this fall and yeah I'd say that the Russians are going to be effectively out of armor.
lb3
AG
japantiger said:

What is the latest best guestimate on the number of US personnel (Special Forces, "trainers", CIA contractors, etc.) present in the Ukraine?
Outside of the Marines providing embassy security, I suspect the number of active duty military providing liaison services could be counted on your hands. With modern digital communications, there really isn't much reason to put uniformed personnel into an active combat zone.

As for contractors, who knows. I'm sure we have quite few contractors working on signal intelligence and assessing the performance of Russian EW systems and weapons, etc. As for contractors engaged in direct combat I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Edit for typos
GAC06
AG
Russia has lost a verified 10,000 vehicles, not tanks. About 2,000 tanks.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1
74OA
AG
Kiev asks Germany for cruise missiles and other miscellaneous notes.

UPDATES
JB!98
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Targets of opportunity.
deddog
AG
TH36 said:

Well my wife got stuck in a traffic jam in Luling cause a train full of tanks and Humvee's is broke down through town.

Bet I know where all that is headed.

On edit: I asked her if they had a "huge" main gun and she said yes so it sounds like Abrams.
that's what she said
2wealfth Man
AG
JB!98 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Targets of opportunity.
Dude in the truck was headed for the Exit; not sure he got there

JFABNRGR
AG
Theres a vid of madyar hitting a recon camera set up 5X with these type of suicide drones. Orcs set up same type of equipment in the exact same location multiple times when they could have easily protected it or moved it into the trees some to make hitting it much harder.

Goes back to "we are lucky they are so ****ing stupid"
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1084 of 1310

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.