***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

6,948,431 Views | 45833 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Tanker123
2000AgPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It will be interesting to see just what Russia's next offensive will shape up to look like - will they actually attempt some form of combined arms operation, or have their forces been so degraded in the last year that they will have to opt for "small solutions" as the Germans had to do in 1943? If they can only resort to more human wave attacks on a grander scale, I suspect they are in very deep trouble.

Equally interesting will be what any Ukrainian offensive will look like. I am not certain that they will have been fully trained up on all their new Western toys unless they delay several months. And if the Russian offensive bogs down, do the Ukrainians immediately launch a counteroffensive to try and seize the initiative?
LMCane
More akin to their defeat in World War I to the Germans:

where their armies were bled white and crushed by numerically inferior forces who were better trained and equipped.

There is a report in the Wall Street Journal that states 97% (!!) of the Russian army is committed to Ukraine.

which seems literally impossible, but I checked it three times and that is what it stated.

97% of Russian Army Committed to Ukraine
74OA
AG
A few more details on the latest round of EU sanctions on Russia.

TARGETS
Agthatbuilds
Heard a report today on the radio that the ukes are killing 600-1000 Russians per day right now.

The commenter, whose name I didn't catch, said they need to kill 5000/day to stop the human wave
Waffledynamics
AG

74OA
AG
UPDATES
Horse with No Name
Eliminatus said:

I know I have been very critical of the Russian seemingly piece meal attacks in the area but even I will say they really don't have many options. What can you do really when you have a largely foot mobile force in an area under 24/7 surveillance that you cannot truly dupe with on call artillery just waiting for you to bunch up? On paper the answer is of course to use armor to spearhead attacks but we are now seeing f'ing field artillery used to pick off point targets. In addition to all the other anti tank goodies. Think that is one of the larger changes we have seen implemented on a grand scale. Then you mix in inexperience and incompetence and man, the Russians are not in a good place.

I am just trying to armchair QB from their perspective and I can't think of any feasible large scale options for them either with the realities they are facing on the frontlines. Can't really mass troops and can't mass armor. Lose/lose?

Which all goes back to that original massive miscalculation that took most of us by surprise I think. Russias inability to gain air superiority. Without that to harry Uke long distance fires….

So I guess the small squad level near suicidal rushes probably IS the best tactic Russia can use. Especially when you factor in the last variable of training and equipment.

Just trying to think from the other side of the coin.

Thoughts?
I've been lurking on this thread for months because I don't consider myself any kind of military expert. That said, I have to think that the Russkies could use any of those cruise missiles, drones--what have you--to punch holes in the front lines of Uke artillery instead of terrorizing civilian targets. It's disgusting to watch them attack civilian targets with military ordnance, then marching cannon fodder against military targets.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
BlueSmoke
Horse with No Name said:

Eliminatus said:

I know I have been very critical of the Russian seemingly piece meal attacks in the area but even I will say they really don't have many options. What can you do really when you have a largely foot mobile force in an area under 24/7 surveillance that you cannot truly dupe with on call artillery just waiting for you to bunch up? On paper the answer is of course to use armor to spearhead attacks but we are now seeing f'ing field artillery used to pick off point targets. In addition to all the other anti tank goodies. Think that is one of the larger changes we have seen implemented on a grand scale. Then you mix in inexperience and incompetence and man, the Russians are not in a good place.

I am just trying to armchair QB from their perspective and I can't think of any feasible large scale options for them either with the realities they are facing on the frontlines. Can't really mass troops and can't mass armor. Lose/lose?

Which all goes back to that original massive miscalculation that took most of us by surprise I think. Russias inability to gain air superiority. Without that to harry Uke long distance fires….

So I guess the small squad level near suicidal rushes probably IS the best tactic Russia can use. Especially when you factor in the last variable of training and equipment.

Thoughts?
I've been lurking on this thread for months because I don't consider myself any kind of military expert. That said, I have to think that the Russkies could use any of those cruise missiles, drones--what have you--to punch holes in the front lines of Uke artillery instead of terrorizing civilian targets. It's disgusting to watch them attack civilian targets with military ordnance, then marching cannon fodder against military targets.
Their guidance systems are not that advanced. They can hit cities easily, but smaller, mobile targets, not so much
AgLA06
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Horse with No Name said:

Eliminatus said:

Thoughts?
Their guidance systems are not that advanced. They can hit cities easily, but smaller, mobile targets, not so much
And I believe I read that they heavily rely on map of earth reading technology. So the second it changes due to war, it's not reliable unless they have updated satellite imagery that is 100% correct. Can't do that when thousands of artillery shells are being fired a day.
Horse with No Name
I have trouble wrapping my mind around what things actually look like in this war zone--how thinly spread are the forces on each side, how many layers of reinforcements, etc. In my limited understanding, it seems that one of these overnight missile attacks could be concentrated in one area similar to a naval bombardment of old to punch through the defenses. For example, what would 30-40 Kalibers + Shaheds do to the defenders of Bahkmut if sent there all at once?
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
ABATTBQ11
AG
Not much, TBH. Those would only be useful against concentrated or high value targets. They're expensive and hard to come by, so it makes no sense to use them against a few hundred to a few thousand troops like that unless you're targeting a huge barracks with dozens or hundreds of troops with one missile. Everything there is spread out enough that something like that isn't going to do enough to justify the expense.

ETA A massed artillery strike would be much cheaper. The problem is Russia may not have the munitions or tubes for it. Also, their accuracy sucks.
MouthBQ98
AG
Anything within about 20KM of the front is reserved for artillery and rockets which are FAR more cost effective. At the front, targets are concealed, armored, dug in, dispersed, or otherwise protected to some degree or other. It is a waste to use a strategic strike weapon against them. Both sides know they are heavily observed by drones and satellites and radars so they don't concentrate too much and attract artillery fire, or possibly air strikes.
JFABNRGR
AG
Horse with No Name said:

I have trouble wrapping my mind around what things actually look like in this war zone--how thinly spread are the forces on each side, how many layers of reinforcements, etc. In my limited understanding, it seems that one of these overnight missile attacks could be concentrated in one area similar to a naval bombardment of old to punch through the defenses. For example, what would 30-40 Kalibers + Shaheds do to the defenders of Bahkmut if sent there all at once?

Not that simple.

Imagine an irregular shaped rectangle with the top segment being 4000M wide and facing the russians aka the front where UKE defense line is. Now extend the long sides back 18,000M and angled out so that the base is 36,000M in length in which these two points is a Ukrainian Artillery battery that is constantly on the move but still able to cover that area within the shape.

If the orcs destroyed everything within that area with missiles (not really possible) and then moved into that area they would still be subject to drone spotted UKE artillery and thats not taking into account HIMARS.

Defense in depth. The 4000M segment theoretically could be expanded to 8000M, assuming ATGM range from each flank.

Whole lot of other factors as well. Terrain, weather, orc logistics to support advance, etc. As posted above, there have hardly been any missile strikes on military assets by the orcs.

There's probably a name for my irregular shaped rectangle but It escapes me at moment.
Demosthenes81
AG
Score another one for gravity

74OA
AG
Russian cyber-attacks peaked in '22, but without corresponding impact.

PHISHING
74OA
AG
The tiny Baltic countries bordering Russia are understandably nervous that their allies aren't serious enough about a robust collective defense.

NATO
Waffledynamics
AG
There is just no way. Please let them be this dumb, though.

trip
AG
Why would they use planes now with all the western air defense being installed. That window has closed and will close further.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
JFABNRGR
AG
trip said:

Why would they use planes now with all the western air defense being installed. That window has closed and will close further.

I would not be surprised if they did and worked their bombers dropping dumb bombs from high altitude flying over a bunch of balloons carrying reflectors to spoof the ADA, which we just gave them the idea after last weeks debacle. Throw in a bunch of shaheeds as well and alot of aid dollars could get spent quickly with or without any real effect on the ground from the bombing runs.

I would rather not see this tested and instead would rather hear of another airfield attack in russia in which a bunch of aircraft destroyed while all the sat pics remain classified, while we debate if it was drones, atacams, or lil green men.
GAC06
AG
Modern SAMs aren't going to confuse balloons for bombers
nortex97
AG
Victoria Nuland, who is as dumb as Susan Rice, generating more risk by needlessly running her mouth; The Guardian updates thread is a high quality version of tactical/strategic updates without a lot of cheerleading.

Quote:

Russia's foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova has said that the US is inciting Ukraine to strike directly at Russian territory, after comments by US under secretary of state Victoria Nuland about Crimea. [See 8.43 GMT]

Tass reports that in her weekly press briefing, Zakharova said:
Quote:

Once again, we have to state the involvement of the US in the conflict in Ukraine. They supply weapons in huge quantities, provide intelligence, simply participate directly in the planning of military operations, train Ukrainian armed formations.

Now the American warmongers have gone even further: they are inciting the Kyiv regime to further escalate, simply to transfer the war to the territory of our country. Like this, direct strikes. This is what we warned about before, and what we were because of forced to launch a special military operation. Now they, US officials, are talking about it openly.

Nuland had said that the US supported Ukraine striking at targets in Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014 in a move which is not widely recognised by the international community.
Quote:

In Russia, Tass is reporting some reaction to those comments by US under secretary of state Victoria Nuland about Crimea. She said the US supported Ukrainian strikes on Crimea as legitimate military targets, and that Crimea should be demilitarised at least as part of any solution to the war. [See 8.43 GMT]
Tass quotes Dmitry Novikov, first deputy chairman of the State Duma committee on international affairs saying:
Quote:

Each such statement serves as a pretext for escalation not only in Ukraine, but also around it. An increasing number of states are forced to determine their position in relation to what is actually happening in the centre of Europe. Nevertheless, the more provocative statements are heard, and Nuland's statement is pure provocation, the further we are from resolving the conflict.

3 day Munich summit starts today. Hopefully grain, Chinese trading positions are amicable.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The issue is whether the Kremlin can ever eventually be brought to the negotiating table because the suffering has finally been enough, when their core strategy is basically to ' out suffer' Ukraine and to out last the West's patience to continue funding this thing.
nortex97
AG
The US has successfully triggered the start of the Russian offensive:

Quote:

Townsend said one thing that could have prompted the Russians to move in was equipment pledged from Western nations in the past month, including infantry fighting vehicles and tanks.

The United States on Jan. 25 agreed to send Ukraine 31 M1 Abrams tanks, shoring up an agreement with Germany and other European nations to send the more widely available Leopard tanks into the conflict. In the same month, the Biden administration announced it would send M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicles and Stryker armored vehicles to Ukraine for the first time.

And Stoltenberg on Tuesday urged NATO members to ramp up ammunition production and other military aid for Ukraine as Russia continues its invasion, warning that Russian President Vladimir Putin is preparing for new offensives and attacks.

"They don't want to wait until all that stuff arrives and it's not going to arrive anytime soon but at the same time, they're not going to wait … they're going to want to get the jump on it all," Townsend said on the recent Russian movements.

Speculation is now focusing on where the Russians will attempt to put most of their strength, with John Herbst, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine now with the Atlantic Council, predicting Kremlin troops will likely be sent to wherever they have their best chance of victory.

"It's conceivable that we're not going to see anything more than we're seeing right now, which is the significant effort in the Bakhmut area," Herbst said.

Russia has spent more than six months attempting to take the city and the surrounding areas in the Donetsk region, but has been unable to do so despite constant shelling and veritable trench warfare with Ukrainian troops.

The city while strategically important to the war as its control would likely lay the groundwork for a push northwest has taken outsized significance as Moscow looks to score a rare military victory, whatever the human cost as thousands of its troops have been killed in the fighting.

George Barros, of the Institute for the Study of War, said it is likely the Russians will intensify their offensive in the east, even though they are sure to make limited progress.

Edit to remove my commentary so as not to trigger anyone.
FJB24
docb said:

Time will tell how this shakes out. Only then will we know if you're smarter than the folks at the Pentagon.
Let's try to stick to tactical and strategic updates. The post you responded to provided an update from the pentagon. Russia is clearly early in the stages of their 'spring offensive.'
MouthBQ98
AG
If so, it was an excellent strategic move if the goal is to bring the war to an end sooner with a Russian defeat. Russia was forced to attack in a limited time window before they could complete their last mobilization and any real training or gather and prepare the necessary military equipment and supplies to sustain any real strategic attack. Instead they are throwing forces in Ad-hoc and inadequately prepared in a hasty effort to get what gains they can before Ukraine gets much more and better western equipment deployed in meaningful numbers.

Haste makes waste, and in this case it is wasting Russian military power in poorly planned and supported high loss attacks into prepared defenses.
docb
AG
Dickdelaware said:

docb said:

Time will tell how this shakes out. Only then will we know if you're smarter than the folks at the Pentagon.
Let's try to stick to tactical and strategic updates. The post you responded to provided an update from the pentagon. Russia is clearly early in the stages of their 'spring offensive.'
Everyone who frequents this thread already knew that the spring offensive has already started. His post was just trying to stir the pot just like every one of his other posts. It's what he does.
ABATTBQ11
AG
For all of their bluster, Russia seems scared ****less of US weapons.
tremble
AG
Lotta shaky Russian ***** over a few Abrams tanks.

Shows how ****ty they qualify their own military capabilities.
P.U.T.U
AG
They have lost over 50 T-90s and Russia is afraid to put any T14s in the field since they are untested and have a bad history of production issues. The T-72 can fire while driving but at limited speeds if they have had the upgrades. The T-72 has a range of about a mile while the M1A1 is 4+ miles.

The Leopard 2 also has a much further range than the Russia T72, getting a few Leopard 2s and Abrahms can be a game changer for Ukraine in the spring
GAC06
AG
The Russian psyche and victim/bully bluster is something to behold. They're outraged at the concept of Ukraine striking targets in Russia (or occupied Crimea) as they hurl thousands of missiles at civilian targets all over Ukraine.
nortex97
AG
Russian tank losses have been astronomical. I'm not a big believer in their tanks, training, or doctrine.

Still, I think in general the losses are from artillery/mines/anti-tank weapons/aircraft and there haven't been many tank on tank battles.
BlueSmoke
Horse with No Name said:

That was the old Soviet tactic from WWII on of lining up their delivery systems such as artillery or Katyusha rockets and saturate a target prior to advancing.

Problem is, as we saw as far back as WWI - the target isn't always incapacitated. It also lends itself to counterattacks as all the systems are clustered together

*easier to have a single point of aim that 30-40 different trajectories all trying to hit the same target

Nobody cares. Work Harder
P.U.T.U
AG
It doesn't look their have been, Russia seems to keep their tanks to the rear and uses them on structures or to soften Uke line's before they send in troops. I haven't seen too many times of them using them in conjunction with infantry, mostly just on their own.

Seems most of Russian's tanks have been taken out by mines, drones, or hand-held weapons.
MouthBQ98
AG
That's true. Both sides mostly lose tanks to mines and AT missiles, and you'd think that would lead to them being less important but really they are still critical because the protected firepower and mobility is very valuable on the attack. A tank can suppress enemy defenses and survive non-precision artillery when supporting an attack.
First Page Last Page
Page 1007 of 1310

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.