AirBNB bans Michelle Malkin for speech at conference

14,608 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BAP Enthusiast
neAGle96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We need a list (or thread) of organizations who are banning individuals who don't share their political ideology.
TAMU1990
AG
TXAGFAN said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Really? You don't see a problem from companies discriminating agaisnt conservatives?

You want to live in a country where you can only do business with companies that share your political beliefs?

Because that's where we are headed.

Conservatives have been politically targeted, haven their payment processors cancelled, banks accounts cancelled, added to the no fly list, audited, banned from GoFundMe, PayPal, patreon, social media and generally cancelled.

But sure this is the same as bake the cake...
When you live with actual discrimination you don't get too excited about some white racists being barred from an app/website to book vacation rentals.

They'll survive and there are countless options for them to find lodging. If they don't make a scene I doubt for example the Marriott brand will care about their beliefs.
She's asian. But that's ok, they are considered to be whitey now.
4stringAg
AG
Who determines for AirBNB what is a hate group and what isn't?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:
When you live with actual discrimination you don't get too excited about some white racists being barred from an app/website to book vacation rentals.

They'll survive and there are countless options for them to find lodging. If they don't make a scene I doubt for example the Marriott brand will care about their beliefs.
I'm sorry, but MM has lived with plenty - not that you care troll - and not that it matters. A little discrimination suffered by the wrong side is OK in your (and your team's) book.

And discrimination because you are gay is okay with many, a few on this board, because it is sinful.
What sin?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Tanya trolling hijack in progress

I've posted here long enough to know you do this constantly and have been banned for it numerous times

[She has been banned for derailing and trolling more than once. People have also been banned for thread derailing by complaining about her trolling when she isn't trolling. If posters think that a post is troll attempt they need to flag the post and move on without quoting the post. We are going to start banning posters that derail threads with posts instead of flagging posts. There is the warning. -Staff]
Ghost91
4stringAg said:

My guess is that it's all decided by a pasty-white, page-boy haircut sporting, cat-eye glasses wearing grumpy cynical miserable white chick. In NY, or thereabouts.
DrEvazanPhD
4stringAg said:

People like txagfan.

DannyDuberstein
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

4stringAg said:

People like txagfan.

This is the crux of the issue. Falsely label anyone who disagrees with me politically as a hate group. Ban them. Then ban anyone who remotely affiliates with them, even as a one time event. It's a power play for political control. You gradually freeze people out of society, and big picture, you scare the masses away from sharing ideas and opinions opposed to yours. And who judges this? some people that have to imagine they were discriminated against once
Stinky T
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

I'm sorry, but MM has lived with plenty - not that you care troll - and not that it matters. A little discrimination suffered by the wrong side is OK in your (and your team's) book.

And discrimination because you are gay is okay with many, a few on this board, because it is sinful.

It isn't ok with me in any situation. See, that's what we call consistency. That's a sign of integrity for those who apparently don't know what that looks like. Everybody has experienced some form of discrimination in their life. Only small minded people think it is ok when it is on the other foot and/ or doled out in a strictly vindictive manner.
Tanya 93
Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

It isn't ok with me in any situation. See, that's what we call consistency. That's a sign of integrity for those who apparently don't know what that looks like. Everybody has experienced some form of discrimination in their life. Only small minded people think it is ok when it is on the other foot and/ or doled out in a strictly vindictive manner.
I am good with being consistent.

I just believe that some outraged at this are okay with others being in her situation for different reasons.

Personally, I think take their money and donate it to the opposite of their cause is the better way.

But she doesn't have a problem with not baking the cake. There are other places to get the cake and other places for her to stay.
c-jags
People need to pause a second here:

1. i in no way agree with Txagfan's trolling
2. Michelle Maulkin should not be banned for her free association
3. Speaking at a conference does not indicate complete agreement with that group
4. I am on the right, I think 99% of the claims of white supremacy are complete BS

5. AmRen is 100% a white nationalist group at best. I'm not saying they ARE White Supremacists. But they are super sketchy.

Their About Us:
Quote:

Race is an important aspect of individual an group identity. Of all the fault lines that divide society language, religion, class, ideology it is the most prominent and divisive. Race and racial conflict are at the heart of some of the most serious challenges the Western World faces in the 21st century.

The problems of race cannot be solved without adequate understanding. Attempts to gloss over the significance of race or even to deny its reality only make problems worse. Progress requires the study of all aspects of race, whether historical, cultural, or biological. This approach is known as race realism.

We also believe that whites, like all racial groups, have legitimate interests that must be defended. The defense of those interests is white advocacy. We seek to advance only those interests that we recognize and would defend for all other racial groups. We seek no advantages as whites only the expression of preferences for our own people and culture that are taken for granted by people of other races but denied to us.

Harry Stone
AG
bye bye airbnb.

and txagfan, please let me know what company you own so i can be sure to avoid that too.
GeorgiAg
AG
Get woke, go broke?
Phatbob
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

This particular resident victim sees disagreement as discrimination, so let's not get too carried away on the goal tending.

Being treated poorly because of, let's call them "personality deficiencies", is not the same as being refused service based on nothing but your politics. I have family members that see discrimination everywhere when they are treated less than kindly, when it's got everything to do with them being *****y human beings. This is an example of the company coming right out and saying "we don't like your ideas, so we refuse you service, even though you using our services has nothing to do with your politics"

aggielostinETX
AG
JamesBREI06 said:

TXAGFAN said:

So…we think Airbnb should "bake the cake" now?

False equivalency.

One is a defecto monopoly (duopoly) engaging in social warfare.

The other was a mom and pop shop asking for religious freedom.

If individual host wanted to ban them, we'd have an apples to apples.

I agree with your premise but this is not the even close to the same but our friend loves a false equivalency.

The baker didn't say they wouldn't bake the cake for a gay man, they said they wouldn't bake the specific vulgar cake he wanted, that was against their morals.
AirBnB is flat out banning the person though a straw man thats literally impossible becuase MM is not white.

But TXAGFAN is ok with it because it's her side.
aggielostinETX
AG
Harry Stone said:

bye bye airbnb.

and txagfan, please let me know what company you own so i can be sure to avoid that too.

Will never happen
Martin Cash
AG
4stringAg said:

Usually, the Southern Poverty Law Pimps
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
aggielostinETX
AG
4stringAg said:

They used the terror Org known as SPLC.
Houston Lee
AG
Wait. So AirBnB deleted the account of an Asian woman because she spoke at a meeting organized by a group that some other group declared was related to white supremacy?

And then some poster here said it was OK with him that AirBnB did it because that poster is gay?

And then that poster was taken behind the woodshed in the thread because the reasoning behind his opinion was off the mark and really stupid?

Have I caught up?
aggiecive
AG
It's a false equivalency for your point but also because the baker did not refuse to bake any cake for a gay couple, he refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding- a particular event. Airbnb banning MM from using their platform for any stay is not even close to the same.
Stinky T
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

I just believe that some outraged at this are okay with others being in her situation for different reasons.

Personally, I think take their money and donate it to the opposite of their cause is the better way.

But she doesn't have a problem with not baking the cake. There are other places to get the cake and other places for her to stay.

So are you ok with someone not baking a cake for discriminatory reasons? If you have a problem with someone saying there are other places to get a cake, then you should also have a problem with someone saying there are other places to stay. Or do you just enjoy judging others for inconsistencies that you actually share with them, only on a basis of vindication rather than religion?
Tanya 93
Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

So are you ok with someone not baking a cake for discriminatory reasons? If you have a problem with someone saying there are other places to get a cake, then you should also have a problem with someone saying there are other places to stay. Or do you just enjoy judging others for inconsistencies that you actually share with them, only on a basis of vindication rather than religion?
There is a big difference between thinking something is okay and thinking it is legal.

Her political beliefs have no legal protections.

Personally, I think they shouldn't ban her.
But my opinion doesn't matter to their desire to promote a specific image
cecil77
AG
Private business can do what it wants. Good of them to publicize it.

Now customers can do what they want.

For me it means not using AirBnB. VRBO and other options are fine.
Ag87H2O
AG
It's always amusing to watch libs trying to defend the indefensible.
oh no
AG
oh no said:

The American Renaissance Conference? How hateful is this white supremacist group? What are their crimes? How many people have they killed? Targets or Best Buys looted? Buildings burned? Can someone tell me more about them?
I just tried to look them up at work and their website is blocked. I've probably been reported to HR now. These American Renaissance guys must be really hateful and dangerous. Why would that Asian lady speak at their conference and risk not being allowed to rent houses ever again?
WHOOP!'91
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

I don't have a problem not being able to have the proverbial cake baked for me, the problem is the double-standard.
aggielostinETX
AG
cecil77 said:

Private business can do what it wants. Good of them to publicize it.

Now customers can do what they want.

For me it means not using AirBnB. VRBO and other options are fine.

This would be great if the rules were applied evenly. If AirBNB did this to a BLM leader, the DOJ would be up their ass overnight.
WHOOP!'91
AG
c-jags said:

3. Speaking at a conference does not indicate complete agreement with that group
4. I am on the right, I think 99% of the claims of white supremacy are complete BS

5. AmRen is 100% a white nationalist group at best. I'm not saying they ARE White Supremacists. But they are super sketchy.

Their About Us:
Quote:

Race is an important aspect of individual an group identity. Of all the fault lines that divide society language, religion, class, ideology it is the most prominent and divisive. Race and racial conflict are at the heart of some of the most serious challenges the Western World faces in the 21st century.

The problems of race cannot be solved without adequate understanding. Attempts to gloss over the significance of race or even to deny its reality only make problems worse. Progress requires the study of all aspects of race, whether historical, cultural, or biological. This approach is known as race realism.

We also believe that whites, like all racial groups, have legitimate interests that must be defended. The defense of those interests is white advocacy. We seek to advance only those interests that we recognize and would defend for all other racial groups. We seek no advantages as whites only the expression of preferences for our own people and culture that are taken for granted by people of other races but denied to us.

They sound like whatever you consider LULAC or NAACP. "We seek no advantages as whites" seems to discount the idea they are "supremacists", at least.
aggielostinETX
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

c-jags said:

Their About Us:
Quote:

They sound like whatever you consider LULAC or NAACP. "We seek no advantages as whites" seems to discount the idea they are "supremacists", at least.

Exactly. They are only bad bc they are white.
cecil77
AG
Agree.

But still AirBnB is, effectively, boycotting that couple. Boycotts are a powerful not statist tool that can be effective. But do "we" have the courage of our convictions? Are "we" willing to give us some convenience (and airBnB is a minor one)?

But you make a valid point. In the segregation days southern businesses boycotted black customers, and sadly it was an economically profitable decision for them at the time. So just because a boycott is intended to hurt (e.g. AirBnB) what if it does the opposite and their boycott of this couple is a profitable decision for them? (Think Goya foods or Chik-fil-A)

Tough decisions for a society, and my bias is to utilize the state as minimally as possible, which is not at all.
c-jags
WHOOP!'91 said:

c-jags said:

Their About Us:
Quote:

I agree. That's why I made the specification that they're white nationalist. I think that language is just as bad for Lulac or naacp.

Again, I'm not in favor of AirBnB here. Most claims of WS are completely BS. In the grand scheme, I just think that AmRen is on that edge enough that she should have used some more discretion.
oh no
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

c-jags said:

Their About Us:
Quote:

Advocating for white people culture or white interests - that is white supremacist and not allowed. You know the rules. You can only advocate for protected classes. Sure, these guys may never burn buildings or loot stores, but your daddy government has already told you that guys like this are more dangerous than ISIS and Al Qaida and our biggest "threat to democracy". ....so of course an Asian lady who spoke at their conference shouldn't be allowed to shop in certain stores or use certain vendors anymore- it doesn't even matter what she talked about. These are the rules.
aggielostinETX
AG
Agree but the Exec branch has been weaponized by the last two liberal regimes. We can't unring that bell just yet.
Stinky T
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Stinky T said:

Tanya 93 said:

Aggie Jurist said:

Quote:

TXAGFAN said:

There is a big difference between thinking something is okay and thinking it is legal.

Her political beliefs have no legal protections.

Personally, I think they shouldn't ban her.
But my opinion doesn't matter to their desire to promote a specific image

Ahh, so it is ok to project a certain image. That is good to know. And for the record I don't care what the baker does or what Airbnb does either. I just like pointing out those that throw rocks in glass houses - like you.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

c-jags said:

Their About Us:
Quote:

Exactly. They are only bad bc they are white.

Don't expect white people to stay in societies racial quarantine forever. One cannot maintain intellectual integrity and continue to agree with the now lopsided "definition " of racism. Not to mention the evolving definition of "equality ". Condemning one group does not elevate another.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.