Inflation surges 7% in December, highest rate in 40 years

8,099 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by infinity ag
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this the end of Joe Biden?
I can feel the inflation when I visit restaurants or grocery stores. I am in the process of switching jobs and I wonder if the new offer would be 10% more than my current one. In that case I am okay but if I stay here, I am expecting another 1-3% raise so that is effectively a paycut.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/december-inflation-consumer-price-index

Quote:

Inflation rose at the fastest pace in nearly four decades in December, as rapid price gains fueled consumer fears about the economy and sent President Biden's approval rating tumbling.
The consumer price index rose 7% in December from a year ago, according to a new Labor Department report released Wednesday, marking the fastest increase since June 1982, when inflation hit 7.1%. The CPI which measures a bevy of goods ranging from gasoline and health care to groceries and rents jumped 0.5% in the one-month period from November.

Economists expected the index to show that prices surged 7% in December from the year-ago period and 0.4% from the previous month.
So-called core prices, which exclude more volatile measurements of food and energy, soared 5.5% in December from the previous year a sharp increase from November, when it rose 4.9%. It was the steepest 12-month increase since 1982.

CDUB98
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3265620
ironmanag
AG
AgResearch
AG
The Collective
AG
I fought to make the floor on raises for my people 6%. I was able to get it. Tough sledding out there right now though in the labor market. It is definitely not keeping up.
FriscoKid
AG
The real number is probably worse than this "official" number.
StandUpforAmerica
I Have Spoken said:

I fought to make the floor on raises for my people 6%. I was able to get it. Tough sledding out there right now though in the labor market. It is definitely not keeping up.
Who?mikejones!
Diesel went up like 20 cents a gallon overnight at my preferred filling station
Ghost Mech
FriscoKid said:

The real number is probably worse than this "official" number.
rebag00
AG
Hmmm...I was told that this was all "transitory"
LMCane
US Consumer Prices Soar At Fastest In 39 Years, Real Wages Tumble For 9th Straight Month

WEDNESDAY, JAN 12, 2022 - 08:36 AM

Consensus was convinced - with barely any outliers - that this morning's consumer price index would print with an astonishing 7.0% YoY (and notably 7 of the last 9 releases have come in above consensus) and they nailed it with the 7% print at its highest since June 1982 (when ET was launched in the US)...

Source: Bloomberg

That is the 19th straight monthly rise in headline CPI and Core CPI also surged to its highest since Feb 1991 (printing hotter than expected at +5.5% YoY)...
Ag87H2O
AG
Once again, thanks CMs. It's a shame because did not have to be this way.

This is what you get when you let personality take precedence over policy. It's politics for the weak minded.
sleepybeagle
AG
Hey liberal white women... way to stick it to the poor and old folks on fixed income!
javajaws
AG
Let's Go Brandon!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
hunter2012
AG

Treasury goes BURR

To a man with a printer every problem looks like a ream.

Tom Doniphon
The reality is about twice of what they're reporting... Biden making Jimmy Carter look like a rank amateur.
sleepybeagle
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

The reality is about twice of what they're reporting... Biden making Jimmy Carter look like a rank amateur.
Jimmy Carter was wrong about a lot of things, but I think he cared about this country.
Biden's handlers hate this country and what America stands for.
They want to destroy personal freedom and give all power to the government.
CDUB98
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Tom Doniphon said:

Jimmy Carter was wrong about a lot of things, but I think he cared about this country.

DING DING DING
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

I Have Spoken said:

This. At my company we are legitimately trying to find a way to pay all our employees at least 10% more, but the materials we need are rising and harder to find, along with what was healthy debt now trending on unhealthy, and the new hires we need to make are saying no due to us not paying enough.

Small business America, especially manufacturing like ours, is tough sledding. This is also with a 300% increase in sales last year and expecting 200% increase for this year. Still isn't enough even with us raising our prices by about 15%.
Tom Doniphon
sleepybeagle said:

Tom Doniphon said:

Completely agree....
CDUB98
AG
I loved my 2% raise and I let my manager know exactly how much I loved it.

I'll be leaving as soon as the right opportunity presents itself.
Gigem314
AG
AgResearch said:

Seriously though, nobody is happier about Biden than Jimmy Carter. Finally someone to take up the image of 'worst President ever'. Obama came close, but still had the 'cool' populist factor going for him.
The Collective
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Small business America, especially manufacturing like ours, is tough sledding. This is also with a 300% increase in sales last year and expecting 200% increase for this year. Still isn't enough even with us raising our prices by about 15%.

I feel all of this. The electronics market is an absolute **** show right now - I'm not even sure we will end up being able to fulfill what is already booked, much less the things we expect to win this year. It sucks. We need to pay more, but then, that is just upping our cost in a market with a ton of pressure already on cost, and hell, even existence of raw materials.
StandUpforAmerica
Gigem314 said:

AgResearch said:

Seriously though, nobody is happier about Biden than Jimmy Carter. Finally someone to take up the image of 'worst President ever'. Obama came close, but still had the 'cool' populist factor going for him.
Carter has been hanging on hoping that some president would eclipse his record of incompetence. He can die in peace now.
ac04
Tom Doniphon said:

exactly right. blue line represents what inflation would be if it was calculated using the same methodology they used in 1980.

The Collective
AG
At least Carter seemed to love America, as misguided as he was.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

I feel all of this. The electronics market is an absolute **** show right now - I'm not even sure we will end up being able to fulfill what is already booked, much less the things we expect to win this year. It sucks. We need to pay more, but then, that is just upping our cost in a market with a ton of pressure already on cost, and hell, even existence of raw materials.
People not in the industry I explain this to say I am full of **** and that I am describing an impossible equation, I am not. It's a challenge but I am still deluded enough to think my company is slightly set up better than others. This **** is crazy though.
oh no
AG
inflation is at record highs, which is exactly why the Dems need to end the filibuster and pass a several trillion dollar govt spending bill. Surely that will help stabilize the value of our currency, right?! I'm sure all employers will keep wage increases in line with the price increases from their suppliers and will pass price increase to their customers, so there's no way hyperflation can happen and more and more people become impoverished. Trust all the smart ones in government and whatever you do, DO NOT look back at history. It never repeats itself.. at least it won't this time, because Dems are smarter than anyone who lived before.
joerobert_pete06
AG
My HR rep says inflation is at 4.6%. What should I believe ?
TomFoolery
AG
Prices would normalize to keep with reduced demand due to lower wages........ if we didn't have companies lending credit to virtually any breathing person and allowing them to rack up CC debt
The Collective
AG
Crash and burn or win. Sitting on the sideline and waiting is a sure way to a slow death though!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

HR is filled with people that couldn't cut it in finance, or he'll even marketing.

So not them.
The Collective
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

Never listen to your HR rep on a data point.
Cromagnum
AG
Pretty bad luck if you are in your retirement years right now.
MGS
joerobert_pete06 said:

They're probably just going by salary surveys using year-old data.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.