***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,065,647 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
richardag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jayhawk said:

That is why the Baltic states should never have been allowed in NATO in the first place. Avoiding foreign entanglements remains sage advice today as it was when George Washington originally gave it as the basis of American foreign policy.

Since we abandoned our identity as a mercantile republic with fixed borders to become a global empire, has our liberty at home been enhanced or depleted by the national security aparatus and military industrial complex that must accompany such a project?

Has the prosperity of ordinary Americans been enhanced by this project or harmed?

You want to risk a war of annhilation over lands that have been ruled by the Tsars or the Soviets since before the founding of our republic? Do we even have a republic? Or are we just a bank and armed military force held in common by the rest of the world?
That all held true until one defining moment. Hiroshima
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Russia going to make a lot of Ukrainians disappear…

That has to be against the Geneva Convention, doesn't it?
Only if they get caught.
Thermal imaging will catch them, I'd expect.

You're probably right. I'm sure every satellite we and our allies have are focusing on every inch of that area.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
aggiehawg
AG
Tex117 said:

JJxvi said:

javajaws said:

Rossticus said:

javajaws said:

Rossticus said:

Guess Russia has to invade Finland next.

That just really rubs me the wrong way (the fact that they would wait until they need us to apply).

Yep. We're setting ourself up for additional NATO members off of this and then additional Russian pretext for aggression and massive European destabilization that screws our economy. If this isn't ended now it's only going to get bigger.
Not just that, but it also shows an arrogance on the part of Finland that I don't appreciate. They don't think they need us...until they do.
It's more than that. It's total BS. Each NATO nation is committing forces to the defense of all the others. Finalnd is saying, uh, we dont want to get involved if like someone attacks Turkey tomorrow, but by gawd we are gonna apply for membership as soon as someone threatens us!
Finland has a very long history of fighting Russia (and winning). While I understand your sentiment, there is a long of history there.
And even when Nazi Germany and the Soviets were allies. They fought them both. Lost a bit of territory to the Soviets at the end there but all of the Finns living there packed up their s*** and moved into what was now Finland proper.

Of course that was before the Soviets were a nuclear power. They were great at winter fighting with ground forces back then.

But they are still a small country with limited military forces of their own.

Now, if Sweden wants to talk NATO membership, Putin's actions here may actually cause more countries joining NATO. He will have strengthened it, not hurt NATO.

Interesting.
jabberwalkie09
AG

Long thread by Seddon on Zelensky's address tonight. The first two minutes of the speech was apparently in Ukrainian. The remaining nine minutes was in Russian directed at Russians.
aggiehawg
AG
No Spin Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Only if they get caught.

You're probably right. I'm sure every satellite we and our allies have are focusing on every inch of that area.
We and others have a ton of drones up over the area, not to mention satellites.
Jayhawk
richardag said:

Jayhawk said:

That is why the Baltic states should never have been allowed in NATO in the first place. Avoiding foreign entanglements remains sage advice today as it was when George Washington originally gave it as the basis of American foreign policy.

Since we abandoned our identity as a mercantile republic with fixed borders to become a global empire, has our liberty at home been enhanced or depleted by the national security aparatus and military industrial complex that must accompany such a project?

Has the prosperity of ordinary Americans been enhanced by this project or harmed?

You want to risk a war of annhilation over lands that have been ruled by the Tsars or the Soviets since before the founding of our republic? Do we even have a republic? Or are we just a bank and armed military force held in common by the rest of the world?
I'm not sure I follow.

We've heard eloquent statements of principles and abstract ideas about standing up to mere bullies. But the inescapable question you have to answer brass tax is: are you willing to risk a nuclear war over the Ukraine?

The answer of "well Putin is just bluffing, he'd back down" , is no answer at all. Even dumber then risking a full war with Russia would be taking action assuming Russia is just bluffing and will back down.

Putin is many things, but he is not stupid. So, any bluf on our own part will likely be detected. In fact, I suspect he would think we were bluffing even if we were not.. which adds to the danger level. But if we mean to halt Russian progress in Ukraine, we need be all in and fully committed.

Let's think about what we're talking about then. You want to make a strong show of force that preserves Ukrainian independence, this will require willingness to engage in large scale high intensity ground, air, naval, and possibly nuclear combat with the Russian armed force in their backyard. This is not a matter of merely deploying the 82nd and the 173rd and the enemy backs down in fear. We have not fought an adversary as numerous and formidable as the Russian armed forces since the Second World War. Our regular units already there, e.g. the 82nd, would suffer high casualties.

This would likely require some form of conscription or a return of the draft, as the numbers of troops necessary to fight the entire Russian army would exceed what we have available in our all volunteer armed forces, particularly assuming we will have enduring commitments in the Pacific to ensure, hopefully, that China does not use the opportunity of a war between the United States and Russia to undertake any adventures of their own.

Even if the conflict stays purely conventional, you are looking at tens of thousands of U.S. casualties. Then, once we have expelled them from the borders of Ukraine as it stands tonight, do we then go into Crimea as well? Where does it stop? Do we retake the Donbas for the Ukraine and engage in counter-insurgency there in additioin to the high intensity fight with the Russian armed forces? Do you imagine that the Russians will stop fighting once we push them back east of the Ukrainian borders? Do we march on Moscow a la Napoleon in hopes of toppling the Russian regime? What do we do with Belarus?

Do you see how nasty this gets? Are you willing to risk this over the Ukraine?
Gordo14
Plenty of evidence that any minute now the conflict is going to start. Prayers for Ukraine.
74OA
AG
aggiehawg said:

No Spin Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Only if they get caught.

A lot more than that: EYES
jabberwalkie09
AG
New NOTAM, new airport closed.

74OA
AG
74OA said:

aggiehawg said:

No Spin Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Only if they get caught.

Even More
jabberwalkie09
AG
Interesting

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Interesting

Been watching that one as well. There were rumors about Turkey potentially supplying S-400s to Ukraine, but that would be pretty ballsy.
No Spin Ag
74OA said:

74OA said:

aggiehawg said:

No Spin Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Only if they get caught.

Even More

Damn, that's a lot of eyes.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Rossticus
Would make rest of NATO look rrrreeeeeeaaaaallllly bad. Erdogan going rogue? Would force US to sit down and shut up on this:

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/9/26/erdogan-turkey-could-buy-more-russian-s-400s-despite-us-warnings
aggiehawg
AG
Okay, I'll confess I'm clueless here. Can you help an Ol' Dame out here? What does that mean?
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Okay, I'll confess I'm clueless here. Can you help an Ol' Dame out here? What does that mean?

Turkey is sending a lot of SOMETHING to Ukraine.

https://www.airbus.com/en/products-services/defence/military-aircraft/a400m

Maybe this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_missile_system
Eliminatus
AG
aggiehawg said:

Turkey has always been the "One of us doesn't belong here" in NATO. Would be a black eye if they were to supply heavy arms to Ukraine to help deter Russia. S400 is a heavy anti air Missile system from a platform or mobile launch truck. This is real heavy duty arms we are talking about and not just some single soldier fired small arms.

It's a statement (if true) and a bold one.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
aggiehawg said:

S-400 is one of Russia's new SAM systems that they sold to Turkey. That plane looks big enough to carry one, not sure if it could fit two. The fact that Turkey hasn't made a formal announcement of assistance is what makes the flight surprising.
jabberwalkie09
AG
aggiehawg said:

S-400's are currently the top of the line SAM's from Russia. It's not a system to take even the slightest bit lightly reportedly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_missile_system
RangerRick9211
AG
TUAF601 is also almost into Ukraine as well. Reddit is losing their collective minds.

I know nothing of FlightRadar's website. But I've got to think it's to pick people up. Something strategic wouldn't be on a public website, right?
AgInSingapore
AG
TUAF601 is on the same flight path just north of Istanbul over the Black Sea...
javajaws
AG
Turkey sending Russian arms to use against Russia...if anything says FU, that does.
Rossticus
javajaws said:

Turkey sending Russian arms to use against Russia...if anything says FU, that does.

And it gives the rest of NATO a huge black eye if they don't follow suit. Ups the ante for sure.
jabberwalkie09
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

TUAF601 is also almost into Ukraine as well. Reddit is losing their collective minds.

I know nothing of FlightRadar's website. But I've got to think it's to pick people up. Something strategic wouldn't be on a public website, right?

Almost in Ukraine? It's already inland/feet dry. Reddit tends to lose their minds easily. Last time I visited the Ukrainian subs they were still posting about the Forte flights even though they are usually regular recon at this point, excluding today's uptick in unmanned flights.
richardag
Jayhawk said:

richardag said:

Jayhawk said:

I'm not sure I follow.

We've heard eloquent statements of principles and abstract ideas about standing up to mere bullies. But the inescapable question you have to answer brass tax is: are you willing to risk a nuclear war over the Ukraine?

The answer of "well Putin is just bluffing, he'd back down" , is no answer at all. Even dumber then risking a full war with Russia would be taking action assuming Russia is just bluffing and will back down.

Putin is many things, but he is not stupid. So, any bluf on our own part will likely be detected. In fact, I suspect he would think we were bluffing even if we were not.. which adds to the danger level. But if we mean to halt Russian progress in Ukraine, we need be all in and fully committed.

Let's think about what we're talking about then. You want to make a strong show of force that preserves Ukrainian independence, this will require willingness to engage in large scale high intensity ground, air, naval, and possibly nuclear combat with the Russian armed force in their backyard. This is not a matter of merely deploying the 82nd and the 173rd and the enemy backs down in fear. We have not fought an adversary as numerous and formidable as the Russian armed forces since the Second World War. Our regular units already there, e.g. the 82nd, would suffer high casualties.

This would likely require some form of conscription or a return of the draft, as the numbers of troops necessary to fight the entire Russian army would exceed what we have available in our all volunteer armed forces, particularly assuming we will have enduring commitments in the Pacific to ensure, hopefully, that China does not use the opportunity of a war between the United States and Russia to undertake any adventures of their own.

Even if the conflict stays purely conventional, you are looking at tens of thousands of U.S. casualties. Then, once we have expelled them from the borders of Ukraine as it stands tonight, do we then go into Crimea as well? Where does it stop? Do we retake the Donbas for the Ukraine and engage in counter-insurgency there in additioin to the high intensity fight with the Russian armed forces? Do you imagine that the Russians will stop fighting once we push them back east of the Ukrainian borders? Do we march on Moscow a la Napoleon in hopes of toppling the Russian regime? What do we do with Belarus?

Do you see how nasty this gets? Are you willing to risk this over the Ukraine?
All I was doing is pointing out the extremely obvious difference between pre nuclear bomb and present day. The very existence of nuclear weapons necessitates a global involvement in our policies. The people advocating for an isolationist political stance are inviting global meddling by bad actors.

I am in no position to determine the response by Putin to the U.S. and/or other countries committing troops, be they ground troops or air support. I seriously doubt he would respond with nuclear strikes but the guy is not to be trusted to think rationally.

Then the question becomes is the U.S. morally obligated to aid Ukraine in the face of unadulterated aggression or are there strategic interests involved? I suspect Putin will continue to push the envelope to include seizing other nations until he is confronted.

It is late in the process for Ukraine, but Russia needs to be totally cut off economically from the rest of the world. President Biden failed in his obligations to protect the U.S. interests preemptively and here we are. Hard choices need to be made, stop Putin now or later.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
RangerRick9211
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Almost in Ukraine? It's already inland/feet dry. Reddit tends to lose their minds easily. Last time I visited the Ukrainian subs they were still posting about the Forte flights even though they are usually regular recon at this point, excluding today's uptick in unmanned flights.
It's over the Black Sea. It's another Turk flight. Not to Ukraine yet.

601, not 600: https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview/TUAF601/2aeb8c98
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus
Bregxit said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

601 is a second A400-M over the Black Sea at the moment. 600 is almost to Kyiv. 601 is on the same flight path.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit…

I'm no Erdogan fan but I'll make an exception temporarily if this is as big as it could be…
Gordo14
jabberwalkie09
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

It's over the Black Sea. It's another Turk flight. Not to Ukraine yet.

601, not 600: https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview/TUAF601/2aeb8c98

Got ya. Found it after I searched. It's covered up by normal commercial traffic.
AgInSingapore
AG
NATO UAVGH000 heading northeast over Bulgaria at the moment as well.
Rossticus
Looks like someone needs to try and protect their phones baloney jobs.
Gordo14
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.