Military creating a generation of welfare soldiers.

14,313 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Burdizzo
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sensitive topic but I believe he is dead on. I've talked to individuals who admitted to joining just so they can eventually milk the disability rating once they leave. A Marine who broke his ankle playing a pick up basketball game will get the same disability as a Marine who broke his ankle carrying a combat load up a mountain in a firefight.

It's expensive to the American tax payer and it takes money and recourses away from actual wounded veterans. What is worse is eventually Joe public will notice and lose respect for our military members.

" "The purpose of VA is to care for those .. who have suffered as a direct result of their military service. In my experience, the encouragement of many of the [support] groups give to people coming out of the service, it's almost as if they encourage them to play disability. And it is incredibly destructive to the system."

" "We put those who hold the Purple Heart in the front line when it came to compensation and compensation decisions," he said. "The howls from the professional class were deafening, as was the response from many in Congress, because they believe that anyone who's put on a uniform should be treated just like all the others."

https://www.militarytimes.com/military-honor/salute-veterans/2021/11/09/vets-should-be-getting-fewer-disability-benefits-more-help-in-post-military-life-says-former-secva/
Teslag
AG
I can't count how many "disabled veterans" I know with a 100% rating still working full time jobs with no issue whatsoever. It's maddening.
Enviroag02
AG
Same here. Just this past weekend a guy at a gathering I was at was gloating about getting approved for his property tax exemption because of his disability rating. He has a full time job and just got out of paying $8k in property taxes.
Stive
AG
Same.

It's one of the bigger governmental financial shams going these days but so much of how the average person views elected officials boils down to single sentence talking points with zero depth. With that in mind, the first congressman that comes out talking about cleaning this up will get skewered for "hating the veterans".
redcrayon
AG
The system is rife with abuse. It desperately needs an overhaul.
h1ag
AG
When you're leaving active duty, you have to take a transition class that talks about writing resumes, how to get an interview, etc.

One day of the program, a VA rep comes in, and in my experience and the experience of several of my friends, tells everyone how to get maximum disability. My guy said "I'm not telling you to fall down stairs or anything, but if you take any meds, maybe hold off for a few days to come in limping or in a little pain."
Daddy
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Same here. Just this past weekend a guy at a gathering I was at was gloating about getting approved for his property tax exemption because of his disability rating. He has a full time job and just got out of paying $8k in property taxes.

It's in my family. Meaning a relative
Athletes foot became a disability
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
I got out in 2018 and didn't even go to the VA to see what disability rating I could get. It's an implied risk job, in my view. I don't deserve to be paid tax free for the rest of my life for some injury I had years ago that I've fully recovered from.

I now work in home building. I've had a homeowner recently call me and tell me "I just got my disability rating upped to 100%, so I'll be getting some more money. I'd like to add some more options to my house".

This along with the people at TRS ( seminar mandated by the DOD prior to separation) telling us "I got 10% disability when I got out. I went to talk to so and so to rework my paperwork with the VA and now I'm getting 100%."

People like this make me sick. Blatantly using the system to milk every dollar out of the taxpayer they can while still being able bodied workers and working full time jobs.
Teslag
AG
My experience was the same. The current disability scheme was born of the days of the draft and true life crippling disabilities for people who were forced to serve, often times in grueling and dangerous conditions.

Today we have an all volunteer military with countless benefits, safety protocols, and is mostly made up of people that will never see combat in a supporting role. They have a wide array of opportunities when leaving the force.

It simply can't continue as is and remain solvent.
HDeathstar
All Govt. workers remain on the payroll for life and vote accordingly. Feds down to the city. It is welfare.

I don't like any welfare from Govt. I wish we could replace it with local churches/ neighbors providing support. Federal welfare destabilizes the country. Right now locally, no one really knows who needs help. People receive checks and do not need to have local interactions. Good people don't know how many are in need and welfare recipients only build contempt of their neighbors and communities. If people had to seek help from local neighbors, they would be humble and respect the community. But we are long past this point.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
I know of three infuriating instances.

1. Guy at the gym I go to is retired Air Force. He parks in the handicapped spot every day in his jacked up four door keep, comes inside and rolls (spars) for an hour. We're a jiu-jitsu gym. I finally said something to him one day half joking to see if he would get the hint.

2. My ex wife's cousin gets full disability from the Coast Guard because his back hurts and his hearing is bad. He gets $70,000 a year from the government PLUS all his kids can go to college for free. He spends all day on a tractor now shredding people's pastures and high on edibles.

3. When I moved to the gym I'm at now from Houston I had one of the coaches ask me if I got money for disability from the VA for the four years I was in. I said no. He asked why not. I said because I never got hurt. He said "but how do you know." I told him because I think I'd remember that. He then proceeds to tell me a story about how he knew a guy in boot camp who got kicked out. The guy eventually claimed he got hurt and the government gives him some money every month. He told me it might be worth my while to go down and get evaluated because I might "be able to get a couple hundred bucks a month out of the deal." Same as my first example. This guy competes fully in bjj and receives full disability.
agracer
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

I got out in 2018 and didn't even go to the VA to see what disability rating I could get. It's an implied risk job, in my view. I don't deserve to be paid tax free for the rest of my life for some injury I had years ago that I've fully recovered from.

I now work in home building. I've had a homeowner recently call me and tell me "I just got my disability rating upped to 100%, so I'll be getting some more money. I'd like to add some more options to my house".

This along with the people at TRS ( seminar mandated by the DOD prior to separation) telling us "I got 10% disability when I got out. I went to talk to so and so to rework my paperwork with the VA and now I'm getting 100%."

People like this make me sick. Blatantly using the system to milk every dollar out of the taxpayer they can while still being able bodied workers and working full time jobs.
my son is in the Marines and will be out next June. He is 6'4" tall and now has some back issues from carrying a 50lb pack all over 29 Palms and Camp Pendelton. He said he knew the risks going in but has no plans to file disability. But he knows lots of guys that are getting out (or already are) that did file and get some disability even though they are perfectly healthy. This kind of stuff disgusts him as well.
OnlyForNow
AG
Friend of mine tore his ACL after hitting a tent stake while being pulled behind a vehcile and "skiing" on a door, in one of the FOBs during 2005.

I know he gets some disability compensation, don't know how much.

He did a lot of **** people shouldn't have to do and I'm grateful for that, but.... ya.
My Name Is Judge
As long as they take the govt juice like good little marxists, who cares?
will25u
I just went through this process. I was given a 60% disability rating and am really thinking of disputing my 10% disability rating for my foot. I also am not an expert in the whole VA disability ratings.

I think there is some room for improvement, but my body took a beating while in the military. I honestly think my body is 20 years older than my age. I had 5 combat deployments(40+ months of deployed time). And had many smaller injuries while in the military.

The disability rating is calculated using all your injuries you suffered while in the military. So my foot at 10%, back at 20%, etc. And they don't always equal the final total. My final total % was 80%(I believe) but was only given 60%.

PTSD is where most veterans get their higher percentages from. I did not claim any PTSD, so was not given a % for that. But I have talked with a lot of others who have been given 100% for injuries and PTSD. I do think that PTSD is pretty ripe for the less than truthful.

I broke my foot at NTC, and the Dr. at NTC just said that I had tendonitis. So when I got back from NTC, my foot was still bothering me, so I went back to the Dr, and they took x-rays etc and let me know that I was walking around on a broken foot for 2 weeks with just 800mg Motrin. Fast forward 10+ years, and I still have issues with my foot, and the VA gave me 10% for my foot. It gives me issues if I walk/run long distances, or stand on it for extended periods of time. Even just lacing my shoes up too tight will cause pain later in the day.

I do think in regards to the ratings you get is dependent on the Dr. that you see while getting the rating. I saw a independent local Dr. who was horrible and acted like she didn't have time or patience for me. But I do think she did a decent job with her evaluation, except for my foot.

Maybe I am a one off, and everyone else is getting ridiculous %'s but lying, cheating, stealing.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Sensitive topic but I believe he is dead on. I've talked to individuals who admitted to joining just so they can eventually milk the disability rating once they leave. A Marine who broke his ankle playing a pick up basketball game will get the same disability as a Marine who broke his ankle carrying a combat load up a mountain in a firefight.
Yep.
See Senator Duckworth and the "disabled veteran" who got the half billion IRS software contract.
Quote:

It's expensive to the American tax payer and it takes money and recourses away from actual wounded veterans. What is worse is eventually Joe public will notice and lose respect for our military members.
That is very true.
Cue Poster Emeritus Ulysses90 and his post about two guys arguing about how is "more disabled" and receiving more money from the govt.

Texas: New Rules Coming on Who Can Park in Handicap Spots
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Burdizzo
AG
Salute The Marines said:

I can't count how many "disabled veterans" I know with a 100% rating still working full time jobs with no issue whatsoever. It's maddening.

I had an employee at a former workplace. He received a Bronze Star for saving a couple of guys after their convoy was hit in Desert Storm. Marine, medic. I consider him a hero.

He has bad knees from carrying all his gear and jumping in and out of trucks and aircraft. Also has PTSD.

When he was discharged he went back to college and got an engineering degree. Bright guy, smart enough to be a PE. His wife has convinced him not to even sit for exam because if he passes it will show his cognitive ability is not impacted by the PTSD, and they will lose some disability benefits.

Gaming the system.
administrative errors
Yesterday said:

" "The purpose of VA is to care for those .. who have suffered as a direct result of their military service. In my experience, the encouragement of many of the [support] groups give to people coming out of the service, it's almost as if they encourage them to play disability. And it is incredibly destructive to the system."

" "We put those who hold the Purple Heart in the front line when it came to compensation and compensation decisions," he said. "The howls from the professional class were deafening, as was the response from many in Congress, because they believe that anyone who's put on a uniform should be treated just like all the others."

https://www.militarytimes.com/military-honor/salute-veterans/2021/11/09/vets-should-be-getting-fewer-disability-benefits-more-help-in-post-military-life-says-former-secva/

It's the incentives stupid.

Fix the money, fix the incentives.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Sims
AG
Until we get back to a place where actions, and not professions, qualify people to be heroes, this will always be a problem.
TxTarpon
So making $150k as a PE vs $50k in tax free bennies and property tax avoidances?
Damn.

Burd, your are in the 210 too and here we can throw a dead fish over our shoulder and have it hit 2-3 DV plate cars in any public parking lot. One guy described it this way (years ago). He said "I worked for Uncle Sam who is now Sugar Sam" because he was getting all these sweet govt payments for things after his military career was over and while he was working civil service. Yes, he was black and knew all the rules.
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

WHOOP!'91
AG
Daddy said:

Enviroag02 said:

It's in my family. Meaning a relative
Athletes foot became a disability
Sleep apnea is a disability.

I don't begrudge any veteran who is receiving benefits according to the rules, but the rules definitely need to be looked at.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Yesterday
AG
will25u said:

I just went through this process. I was given a 60% disability rating and am really thinking of disputing my 10% disability rating for my foot. I also am not an expert in the whole VA disability ratings.

I think there is some room for improvement, but my body took a beating while in the military. I honestly think my body is 20 years older than my age. I had 5 combat deployments(40+ months of deployed time). And had many smaller injuries while in the military.

The disability rating is calculated using all your injuries you suffered while in the military. So my foot at 10%, back at 20%, etc. And they don't always equal the final total. My final total % was 80%(I believe) but was only given 60%.

PTSD is where most veterans get their higher percentages from. I did not claim any PTSD, so was not given a % for that. But I have talked with a lot of others who have been given 100% for injuries and PTSD. I do think that PTSD is pretty ripe for the less than truthful.

I broke my foot at NTC, and the Dr. at NTC just said that I had tendonitis. So when I got back from NTC, my foot was still bothering me, so I went back to the Dr, and they took x-rays etc and let me know that I was walking around on a broken foot for 2 weeks with just 800mg Motrin. Fast forward 10+ years, and I still have issues with my foot, and the VA gave me 10% for my foot. It gives me issues if I walk/run long distances, or stand on it for extended periods of time. Even just lacing my shoes up too tight will cause pain later in the day.

I do think in regards to the ratings you get is dependent on the Dr. that you see while getting the rating. I saw a independent local Dr. who was horrible and acted like she didn't have time or patience for me. But I do think she did a decent job with her evaluation, except for my foot.

Maybe I am a one off, and everyone else is getting ridiculous %'s but lying, cheating, stealing.

No issues from me for true disabilities. PTSD is ripe for fraud because if they deny you and you kill yourself then there is hell to pay.

And yes, the 100% isn't basic addition. If you get 50% for a bad back and 50% for PTSD and finally 10% for tinnitus then you now have 80% compensation.

My whole point was how this former VA director wanted to change this and was immediately beat down by the massive jobs program that is the VA machine.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Absolutely zero chance anything can be done about it.

Imagine how easy it would be to demonize a politician trying to "cut" disability benefits for veterans.
Whirligigs
I must be doing something wrong - I'm stressing the **** out running a small business trying to avoid fines, penalties, taxes, covid mandates, etc.

This country is eventually going to fall apart - there's no reward in producing.
MemphisAg1
AG
No issue with compensation to veterans for true disabilities related to their service. We owe it to them.

HUGE issue with the fraudsters however. They need to do time for lying, cheating, and stealing.
BlueAg2003
AG
Gotta love that the same people doing this are the ones who talk crap about welfare recipients and minorities on the take, but fail to see they're doing the exact same thing. Gotta love when someone works a full-time job, gets an additional fat check, doesn't have to pay road tolls, parks in handicap spots without any injury/ailment that would require them to do so. Sickening and unpatriotic.
administrative errors
Yesterday said:

will25u said:

No issues from me for true disabilities. PTSD is ripe for fraud because if they deny you and you kill yourself then there is hell to pay.

And yes, the 100% isn't basic addition. If you get 50% for a bad back and 50% for PTSD and finally 10% for tinnitus then you now have 80% compensation.

My whole point was how this former VA director wanted to change this and was immediately beat down by the massive jobs program that is the VA machine.

I'm really excited about psychedelic medicine best practices ending some of this behavior and curing others of it.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Enviroag02
AG
Enviroag02 said:

The worst part of this guy gloating about it was another veteran, at the gathering, who is color blind so he's been in HR (a paper pusher) his whole career is planning to have his disability rating re-assessed to avoid the property taxes he has been adequately paying for the last 10 years.
Sailor
I'm a Navy veteran, served 6 years active duty. Some of the folks I served with who milk the system makes me sick. They keep talking about ways to get your disability rating higher, obviously lying to enrich themselves.

I served my country. It should not be the other way around as it is for many of these faux "injuries" and conditions.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Absolutely zero chance anything can be done about it.

Imagine how easy it would be to demonize a politician trying to "cut" disability benefits for veterans.
Yes, this right here.
A poster here worded it very well when he wrote "These benefits were put in place by well meaning politicians, but it is not sustainable"

-BarronVonAwesome

BCOBQ98
AG
The sleep apnea one really puzzles me. I have a mild form of it which is caused by being slightly overweight. Everything I've read on sleep apnea is a result of either genetics or influence by a persons bad behavior. I'm sure there are some outliers where this could be caused in the military by physical injury or exposure to chemicals but if it was "self inflicted" like mine why should the taxpayer be on the hook for it? Maybe I need to be better informed?

100% supportive of taking care of vets that were injured legit either in combat or training.

Don't even get me started on people taking advantage of handicap spots. I went to the bike shop yesterday and a guy parked alone in the handicap spot the same time as I was parking. He walked in there like with no issue, picked up his bike, and loaded it himself. Sorry if you can do that you don't need a handicap spot. People have no shame anymore.
policywonk98
AG
I get what everyone is saying here. Fraud and abuse needs to be rooted out everywhere in government. And military disability is the topic of this thread.

However, there is about 99% of the federal government I would reduce and get rid of before ever touching military vet benefits. Providing for a common defense is one of the few functions of the government that is actually mentioned in the constitution. I realize we are talking post service here, but starting after the Civil War, providing post service benefits became part of our common defense.
WHOOP!'91
AG
BCOBQ98 said:

The sleep apnea one really puzzles me. I have a mild form of it which is caused by being slightly overweight. Everything I've read on sleep apnea is a result of either genetics or influence by a persons bad behavior. I'm sure there are some outliers where this could be caused in the military by physical injury or exposure to chemicals but if it was "self inflicted" like mine why should the taxpayer be on the hook for it? Maybe I need to be better informed?

100% supportive of taking care of vets that were injured legit either in combat or training.

Don't even get me started on people taking advantage of handicap spots. I went to the bike shop yesterday and a guy parked alone in the handicap spot the same time as I was parking. He walked in there like with no issue, picked up his bike, and loaded it himself. Sorry if you can do that you don't need a handicap spot. People have no shame anymore.
This covers a variety of welfare-related issues.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

LOYAL AG
AG
Salute The Marines said:

One of my buddies has a 100% rating from a 4-year stint that ended 30 years ago when he was 22. We went to Panama for that invasion and saw very little in the way of actual combat. I got shot at for being a dumbass and standing up on top of a water tower while setting a radio antenna and we had some minor skirmishes but that was it. Nothing Purple Heart worthy and he doesn't have one. Like he says a "nickel here, a dime there and pretty soon you're at a dollar." He does have significant medical issues (as in kidney issues and needs dialysis) but they aren't service related. He wonders why I never call to check in with him and I just don't have the heart to tell him I don't have any ****s to give about someone who has managed to turn an uneventful 4-year tour into a lifetime paycheck. It's disappointing to say the least.

Then you have my BIL who came back from a 15 year tour as a Navy Medic with no memory of life from about 17 to almost the day he ETS'd, major back problems that despite multiple surgeries still has him all but wheelchair bound and all he wants to do is get back in the cab of his truck and earn a living.

The system is a mess and given the volume of legitimately broken vets we've created in what turned out to be a mostly pointless war nobody is going to speak out against this thing.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
NukeAg10
AG
Similar stories to a lot of y'all...

I've been in for almost 9 years, and just reenlisted to push it out to 14 1/2, to put in my LDO package. I am constantly told by people to make sure that I go to medical to start claiming stuff now. I ask why, and they push the same narrative of free money (which we all know isn't free). My hearing is definitely worse, despite ear plugs, bc I work in a reactor plant. I also had a pinched nerve while on deployment, so that's really the only thing I've been to medical for. Unless my back pain comes back and is a chronic issue, then I have no plans to claim that. I work in a hazardous environment and it's what I signed up for. I expect nothing extra for my service, unless something awful happens and I'm handicapped permanently.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.