Texas: New Rules Coming on Who Can Park in Handicap Spots

12,418 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wbt5845
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DV abuse NEEDS to be addressed, but so does all forms of welfare.

I know of too many cases of people who qualify for reduced to no property taxes, DV plates and all of the perks plus the monthly check.

All because of issue not associated with their service at ALL. Items such a sleep apnea, injuries from college football, etc.

Meanwhile people who dealt with Agent Orange for the past 50 years get a few hundred dollars a month, if they fought tooth and nail to get.
planoaggie123
AG
All the issues in this state and we are wasting time with this....
GottaRide
S
Bob Lee

Check you messages.
Boo Weekley
Serious question...where do able bodied black people get these placards? Almost every single 20-30-something black male or female seems to have one hanging from their mirror in my neck of the woods. Are there HC placard mills in the hoods that we don't know about?

It's not even a stereotype...it's just a fact.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
zoneag said:

I'm surprised that Texas allowed DV plates to park in handicapped parking spaces. I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of DV folks don't have disabilities that impair their mobility. This seems like a good change.

This. We've got a guy at the gym I do BJJ with and he parks His jacked up four door Jeep in the handicapped spot right in front of the gym with his DV plates, then proceeds to go in and roll for an hour. It's pretty irritating since there are elderly people that have to drop their grandkids off. I finally said something to him in a half joking manner and he got the hint.
wbt5845
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Serious question...where do able bodied black people get these placards? Almost every single 20-30-something black male or female seems to have one hanging from their mirror in my neck of the woods. Are there HC placard mills in the hoods that we don't know about?

They are for sale at Trader's Village.

You can order online.

https://www.myparkingpermit.com/handicap-parking-hang-tag.aspx

The trick is that you have to put some effort into making the fakes look real. Most don't. But most municipalities don't police the handicapped spots either.
TxTarpon
You need a beer, sir!
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
FLATOUT
AG
I have a DV plate with a service connected disability rating of 60%. I have only parked in those spaces when I had an actual mobility issue (two lower back procedures in 2020 for herniated discs). What I don't understand is why they also issue a second plate to our spouses. I appreciate the help with the tolls and free parking, but my Wife doesn't have a disability or mobility issue. She also never parks in a handicapped spot, but I guarantee there are plenty of DV spouses that do.

Although I think there are much bigger issues they should be addressing I think this is the correct call. If you are a disabled vet and have a genuine mobility issue just go apply for the placard like everyone else does.

TxTarpon

Quote:

To be fair lots of time wasters out there.
This law might be a revenue stream for airport police.
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

planoaggie123
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

To be fair lots of time wasters out there.
This law might be a revenue stream for airport police.

Agree. It seems like many of our legislators are focused on low-hanging fruit vs real issues but such is government...
Boo Weekley
wbt5845 said:

Boo Weekley said:

You can order online.

The trick is that you have to put some effort into making the fakes look real. Most don't. But most municipalities don't police the handicapped spots either.

I guess maybe my question is why do such a disproportionate amount of black people seem to have them and think it is socially or culturally acceptable to screw over elderly or handicap people by parking in their spots? I am not asking anyone to actually go above and beyond and return shopping carts or anything. Just not screw over old, frail or disabled people that could really use those spots. It's an extremely low bar of decency.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Boo Weekley said:

wbt5845 said:

Boo Weekley said:

You can order online.

I guess maybe my question is why do such a disproportionate amount of black people seem to have them and think it is socially or culturally acceptable to screw over elderly or handicap people by parking in their spots? I am not asking anyone to actually go above and beyond and return shopping carts or anything. Just not screw over old, frail or disabled people that could really use those spots. It's an extremely low bar of decency.

Difference in cultures and upbringing I would assume.
Sea Speed
AG
There is a reason it is called entitlement culture
et98
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

This sounds like a City Of issue. This is not something a Gov. of a State should be dealing with.
Agreed.

Regulations should be managed at the lowest, most local level possible. Parking spots are tiny. They should be regulated at the most local level of government jurisdiction that they exist within (although one could argue they shouldn't be regulated at all).

An entire state regulating parking spaces on private property is the epitome of big government that we should all be fighting against.
aggivedave16
Unpopular opinion: Get rid of all handicap spaces.

They create massive inefficiencies in parking lots. And they are severely abused by non-handicapped folks. Just get rid of them.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Regulations should be managed at the lowest, most local level possible.
You mean like vehicle license plates and driver's licenses?
The state issues and manages those privileges.
Locals do not.
Quote:

Parking spots are tiny. They should be regulated at the most local level of government jurisdiction that they exist within (although one could argue they shouldn't be regulated at all).
They are, here is Bexar County's AM.
Own a small restaurant. The inspectors are @!#%@#$@.
They tell you that you have to have a low counter so a wheelchair person can access ordering.
Meanwhile if you visit Taco Jalisco #45 no such thing exists there and the inspectors strangely leave them alone. Go figure.....
Quote:

An entire state regulating parking spaces on private property is the epitome of big government that we should all be fighting against.
Cool story bro.
Let's get a beer at HEB at 9AM on Sunday.
Oh wait, we can't. Big gubbermint.

-BarronVonAwesome

cav14
aggivedave16 said:

Unpopular opinion: Get rid of all handicap spaces.

They create massive inefficiencies in parking lots. And they are severely abused by non-handicapped folks. Just get rid of them.
And get rid of the entire ADA while we are at it. Fine with ADA like features being part of public property and services, but let the private sector figure it out when it comes to how they want to enforce their rules and run their businesses. It's no different than businesses right now having parking spots for other things like fuel efficient vehicles, EV charging, pregnant mothers, take-out only, and Vets.
HalifaxAg
AG
No one is going to comment how it's only white stick figures on the placards? Where do the brown handicaps park?

F16 slipping...
rwtxag83
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Boo Weekley said:

wbt5845 said:

Boo Weekley said:

You can order online.

Culture of take all you can when you can.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Houston Lee
AG
Why are there handicapped spots at a shopping mall?

The entire concept of a Mall makes one have to walk great distances to get to any store in the Mall. But, we need to make sure someone can park 20 ft closer OUTSIDE to get to the entrance
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Boo Weekley said:

wbt5845 said:

Boo Weekley said:

You can order online.

Has to be. When I got a temp one that lasted 6 months I used it for maybe 6 weeks and put it away when I no longer needed it.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
I know someone that is completely able bodied, but has one from a doc b/c his short term memory is so bad he can't find his car w/o it. Brain injury.
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
doubledog
Boo Weekley said:

I asked a co-worker once about this. Not a race issue, but a question I wanted to know. I asked her why she had a HC (I assumed it was a mobility issue). She told me that there are doctors who hand out prescriptions for HC placards like they are candy. You just need to know where to look.
doubledog
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

The entire concept of a Mall makes one have to walk great distances to get to any store in the Mall. But, we need to make sure someone can park 20 ft closer OUTSIDE to get to the entrance
Americans with Disabilities Act. No one said that it had to make sense.
Sea Speed
AG
So it's an entitlement issue.
planoaggie123
AG
Sea Speed said:

So it's an entitlement issue.
For so many its either an entitlement or lazy issue...either way...it does not bode well for one's future or even current position in life should they have a placard and not actually need it....
Tanya 93
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

A wheelchair user?
Sight issues?
Lung or heart disease?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

I know someone who needs it to find his car. Short term memory deficits post brain injury.
wbt5845
AG
I typically park as far away from the door as I can for the exercise.
GTdad
wbt5845 said:

I typically park as far away from the door as I can for the exercise.
Me too, and I'm an old guy with a sub-optimal ticker. Every little bit helps, is the way I look at it.
TxTarpon
I align with how you do that.

Tarpon: Parks in a spot away from others, especially cars/trucks he identifies that might be carless in door opening.

Ms.Tarpon: Squeezes her 4Runner into a spot between two F250 crew cabs that are over the line and suggests I mix in more salads to squeeze out of the door. She is also surprised with door dings.

-BarronVonAwesome

Tone2002
Lol @the "the blacks" abusing the system when there is the same/quality enough trailer park/loose teeth people going to
Walmart parking in Handicaps spaces. Totally laughable at best.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've got DV plates, and today I went by the county registration office to apply for placards before the Sep. 1 deadline. The lady at the counter had no idea what I was referring to when I mentioned the new guidelines.

Anyway, I got placards.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Boo Weekley said:

wbt5845 said:

Boo Weekley said:

You can order online.

I will say this is also an epidemic amongst upper class white stay at home wives. I'm looking at you Southlake dance moms.

Drives me crazy considering that there's ones handicap spot at this place and it's almost always filled by some pill addled lulu lemon in a high end SUV. I think the reason it irks me so much is that my daughter has had classes with a girl who father is legit handicap, like motorized wheelchair divers seat conversion handicapped.

If I'm ever there waiting to pick up my daughter and I see that this guy can't park in the only spot we're he can use the motorized mechanism to exit his vehicle I might be tempted to use my truck to vacate the rich broads Beamer from that spot.
TxTarpon
(Sorry, none of us know your mobility situation.)

-BarronVonAwesome

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.