Military creating a generation of welfare soldiers.

14,619 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Burdizzo
APHIS AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hedge said:

you realize anybody can have PTSD it doesn't have to be from combat related experiences.
Then, being in a traffic accident will give you PTSD. It does not mean you can soak the government for it for the PTSD payment and treatment are for trauma suffered in combat and not for "anxiety".
MapGuy
APHIS AG said:

hedge said:

you realize anybody can have PTSD it doesn't have to be from combat related experiences.
Then, being in a traffic accident will give you PTSD. It does not mean you can soak the government for it for the PTSD payment and treatment are for trauma suffered in combat and not for "anxiety".
Actually know quite a few female Veterans that have PTSD from being raped while serving.
F4GIB71
I'll weigh in from a different perspective. There is clearly too much abuse in the system. I understand service members are schooled upon discharge as to how to make claims, whether justified or not. On the other hand, there must be people in basements making the rulings whose default position is "not service connected".

I spent 18 years flying both AD and ANG. Shame on us, but few wore hearing protection. (This was before disposable ear plugs and Mickey Mouse ears are difficult to store in cockpits subject to negative G). I filed my first claim for hearing loss, just so I could get hearing aids through the VA. I would have been happy with a 0% service connected disability. Until you reach a certain level, VA compensation is subtracted from retirement pay. It came back as not service connected! WTFO! I was ultimately successful with a subsequent claim for tinnitus.

While flying with the ANG, I had to eject from an out of control aircraft at night south of Galveston. I was rescued by the Coast Guard (God bless the CG) but my pilot was never recovered. I have had back problems ever since, but you don't complain to your flight surgeon if you want to remain on flight status. As the end of my flying career approached, I met with one of our flight surgeons who sent me to Wilford Hall for an MRI. The AF Doctor said I wasn't a candidate for surgery (thankfully) and essentially I'd have to learn to live with it. A few years ago, I was visiting with my Ortho Doc on my knees when I mentioned my worsening back problems. He ordered an updated MRI. His first words on my follow up visit were, "your back is a mess". That got my attention so filed a claim. I was given 10% after first C&P exam but thankfully was service connected. It took three appeals to get what I consider an equitable rating.

I do have DV license plates, mainly for the rare toll road trip, but I never park in disabled parking. Parking in disabled parking opens an entirely new discussion about abuse well beyond Veterans
APHIS AG
F4GIB71 said:

I'll weigh in from a different perspective. There is clearly too much abuse in the system. I understand service members are schooled upon discharge as to how to make claims, whether justified or not. On the other hand, there must be people in basements making the rulings whose default position is "not service connected".

I spent 18 years flying both AD and ANG. Shame on us, but few wore hearing protection. (This was before disposable ear plugs and Mickey Mouse ears are difficult to store in cockpits subject to negative G). I filed my first claim for hearing loss, just so I could get hearing aids through the VA. I would have been happy with a 0% service connected disability. Until you reach a certain level, VA compensation is subtracted from retirement pay. It came back as not service connected! WTFO! I was ultimately successful with a subsequent claim for tinnitus.

While flying with the ANG, I had to eject from an out of control aircraft at night south of Galveston. I was rescued by the Coast Guard (God bless the CG) but my pilot was never recovered. I have had back problems ever since, but you don't complain to your flight surgeon if you want to remain on flight status. As the end of my flying career approached, I met with one of our flight surgeons who sent me to Wilford Hall for an MRI. The AF Doctor said I wasn't a candidate for surgery (thankfully) and essentially I'd have to learn to live with it. A few years ago, I was visiting with my Ortho Doc on my knees when I mentioned my worsening back problems. He ordered an updated MRI. His first words on my follow up visit were, "your back is a mess". That got my attention so filed a claim. I was given 10% after first C&P exam but thankfully was service connected. It took three appeals to get what I consider an equitable rating.

I do have DV license plates, mainly for the rare toll road trip, but I never park in disabled parking. Parking in disabled parking opens an entirely new discussion about abuse well beyond Veterans
My story is similar to yours however, my knee and foot problems, arthritis, and other ailments were thrown out by the VA because in my 30 years of serving (NG, AR, Active duty), I mostly went and were treated by civilian doctors. The VA even admitted that the ailments were probably service connected however, no military medical records meant no disability. I did get 10% for tinnitus, but then, this is deducted from my retirement pay.
JABQ04
AG
For everyone talking about the DV plates and parking in handicapped spaces. Hopefully going to be harder for folks who abuse the system as of Jan 1 2022. I have DV plates and have never parked in handicapped spot. Hell, I've never even used the Veterans spots at Lowe's where I live. I did try to park in the space reserved for PH recipients at Texas Roadhouse a couple times (also on my license plates) but apparently every time I try to eat there someone else is in it.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/body-files/08_26_21-Disabled-Veteran-Plates.pdf
suburban cowboy
AG
I say screw the gub as much as possible
File5
AG
suburban cowboy said:

That's the problem with the mindset...in this case screwing the gub screws the taxpayer. But I guess who gives a **** about that...
SquirrellyDan
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Yeah, screw the gub so vets who really need the VA don't get seen, treated, etc because the system is so swamped with vets "suffering" from sleep apnea and PTSD from the DFAC being out of whole milk.
Proc92
suburban cowboy said:

Good idea. Take the gub's own money. Brilliant.
FamousAgg
suburban cowboy said:

You should go on welfare, Medicaid, and disability. Suck that gubment teat dry!
Marcus Brutus
SquirrellyDan said:

suburban cowboy said:

Yeah, screw the gub so vets who really need the VA don't get seen, treated, etc because the system is so swamped with vets "suffering" from sleep apnea and PTSD from the DFAC being out of whole milk.

Why would vets who are committing fraud even go to the VA? I guess they go initially to be diagnosed, but unless compelled, they are not wasting time going to the VA.
TxTarpon
I have told this a few times.
Guy I know had a 20s daughter with a military boyfriend about 2005-2006 era.
Guy comes back from Iraq and everyone was happy and excited, then left the Army and my friend thought he might get a son in law.

Then.....

The guy never got a job. Started smoking pot and playing video games all day long.
Got a military disability payment want to get on social security disability.

Now my friend is worried his daughter is going to marry this bum guy.
THANKFULLY the daughter broke up with this guy.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
BlueAg2003
AG
Quote:

I say screw the gub as much as possible.

Ah yes. The government of the country these people swear to protect against enemies foreign and domestic. But yes, screw 'em! So good to have it both ways. So patriotic.
MapGuy
CCP Joe Veggie said:

SquirrellyDan said:

suburban cowboy said:

Why would vets who are committing fraud even go to the VA? I guess they go initially to be diagnosed, but unless compelled, they are not wasting time going to the VA.
Well they have to go to the VA to be evaluated and have them adjust their rating
Agvet12
AG
It's not so much abuse as some just wanted to document their injuries incase there was a misdiagnosis or it gets more severe later in life. That was my reasoning for documenting.

It's weird I got 10% for a helo landing on me in a combat op, small meniscus tear in my right knee that didn't count for a rating but is documenting as well, but for 20% for tenitis…. So some of it is the rating system itself

Not all who get a rating are wanting to **** over the system, but there are those who will and do.
TxTarpon
"The gub" is taxpayers liberal.
Run along and use that WIC card to buy some chicken and cheese.
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

Hawk2007
Not sure what the status is, but DVs used to be able to park on campus for free during game-day.

https://transport.tamu.edu/About/news/2021/2021-03-disabled-veterans-kbtx.aspx

And yes, I know Ags who have gamed the DV rating system. Of course, free parking on A&M gamedays is nothing compared to the waived property taxes and VA payment abuses.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TxTarpon said:

Got a bad feeling we all gonna be on WIC before its all said and done.
MapGuy
TxTarpon said:

Not everyone that uses WIC are leaches of the government, many are foster parents. That is one of subsidies you get for taking care of young children that would otherwise be completely dependent on government to take care of them
TxTarpon
You are a very honorable man.

Thank you for your service and a toast to your pilot.

I do know guys with hearing loss form working a flight line in the early 1960s getting a check.
They also were welder/fabricators as post military civilians and never wore hearing protection either.

-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon
Nachos with government cheese?

-BarronVonAwesome

TxTarpon

Quote:

Not everyone that uses WIC are leaches of the government, many are foster parents. That is one of subsidies you get for taking care of young children that would otherwise be completely dependent on government to take care of them
You are correct.
That is not the context the poster we are poking at used in his post.

-BarronVonAwesome

InfantryAg
AG
agracer said:

my son is in the Marines and will be out next June. He is 6'4" tall and now has some back issues from carrying a 50lb pack all over 29 Palms and Camp Pendelton. He said he knew the risks going in but has no plans to file disability. But he knows lots of guys that are getting out (or already are) that did file and get some disability even though they are perfectly healthy. This kind of stuff disgusts him as well.
He needs to go get a rating. He doesn't have to take any money, but he wants the VA to cover any medical expenses. He may not have any now, but in 20 years it may become debilitating. Taking care of these issues is the main function of the VA.

Just because there are bunches of shammers, he shouldn't let that stop him from any legitimate issues.
Burdizzo
AG
Posted from my Nextdoor feed in San Antonio....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.