$21/hr @ Mcdonalds

7,341 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BusterAg
Mr. Lahey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
waitwhat? said:

I'm too tired to explain how stupid that tweet is.

Nobody is working 91 hours per week at $21/hr.

Lol, you've never worked oilfield obviously.
AgSoccer2007
AG
Speedbird087 said:

Texker said:

Culver's is solid. They've replaced Whataburger as our go-to quick dine-in.
Never heard of Culver's and its right down the road here in NW San Antonio. Looks great on the website.

Very popular and many locations in Wisconsin and the Midwest. We got our first one in austin back in, iirc, 1999. First job I had that wasn't working for our family business.

Fantastic food relative to most other fast food garbage out there.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Muy
AG
91 hours a week flipping burgers will have to kill you from inhaling all that grease.
administrative errors
Muy said:

91 hours a week flipping burgers will have to kill you from inhaling all that grease.

Agreed, ramp up the hero pay!
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
nomad2007
AG
What a silly tweet.

Nobody making $21/hr at a single job is pulling in $100k. They're lucky to hit $60k and that would be with quite a lot of overtime.
Goose06
AG
waitwhat? said:

When I was an investment banking analyst there were definitely people who worked north of 100 hours a week on average and our comp at the time was $60k base plus $60k bonus for top performers. It's not that far off. I probably worked 75 hours a week in my slowest weeks and my average was closer to 85.
administrative errors
Goose06 said:

waitwhat? said:

When I was an investment banking analyst there were definitely people who worked north of 100 hours a week on average and our comp at the time was $60k base plus $60k bonus for top performers. It's not that far off. I probably worked 75 hours a week in my slowest weeks and my average was closer to 85.
just think about all those burned potential labor hours that could have done something useful instead of moving/abstracting money....

So much potential thrown away to these behaviors... the "best and brightest" destroyed by the system instead if improving it...

The destruction of the gatekeepers is an exciting part of the process.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

I am amped.
Goose06
AG
Lots of wasted hours, but an investment banking analyst isn't moving or abstracting any money. It is probably the best first job out of college for anyone wanting a future career in business with diverse options for what direction to take from there.
administrative errors
I know, it's a decent gig. If you hadn't done that you'd prolly never have bought bitcoin so early.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
MouthBQ98
AG
About my take, but I like my job and don't want to move up the chain for more pay because that work looks miserable.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, when I was offshore, it was 12 on (really more like 13) 12 off for 28 days straight, typically.

84 hour weeks a month at a time. I started at 85K roughly.

26 weeks a year (4 on 4 off) is about 2184 hours a year, but over half those hours were technically 1.5 and 2.0x OT rates per week so when you break it down I was getting a base rate equivalent to something like $24/hr

Still totally worth it to have literally half the year off.

Only problem: really crappy job security due to working in a commodities business.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
McDonalds will be a good test case for automation. I think eventually you will just have a 1-2 managers working there who is trained to service the automated equipment at all times, then maybe one other employee per shift to clean.
bmks270
AG
Unless the person is the CEO working 7 days a week on their start up, nobody is doing 91 hours a week for any endeavor. And that CEO is doing it with the expectation of a lot more than 100k.
bmks270
AG
Champ Bailey said:

McDonalds will be a good test case for automation. I think eventually you will just have a 1-2 managers working there who is trained to service the automated equipment at all times, then maybe one other employee per shift to clean.

1 engineer and a bunch of machines.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
bmks270 said:

Unless the person is the CEO working 7 days a week on their start up, nobody is doing 91 hours a week for any endeavor. And that CEO is doing it with the expectation of a lot more than 100k.

I worked that much my first year on the job because 1) everyone else quit when it started to suck, 2) I was desperate for my first job after college. That lasted most of a year, I didn't quit, I earned a ton of credibility, and now I'm way up in the company because I was the only guy with the expertise. And I never work more than 45 hours now.

It almost killed me. But I think I'd probably do it over again (didn't have kids at the time) in order to rise so quickly.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Mr. Lahey said:

waitwhat? said:

Lol, you've never worked oilfield obviously.

This. I worked a job a long time ago for 6 months at $20/hr with up to 84 hour work week and made $2120/week with OT. I'm not saying it's sustainable to do all year. It sucked, but was good money.
jteAg
21/hour… eh….
Chump change.
I make 27.58/hour driving a school bus.
Live off my retirement, bus driving pays for golf, trips, etc.
Plus, it gives me something to do everyday.
BBRex
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

jopatura said:

1). They likely have a manager position open for that they are including in that "up to $21/hr". I'd be shocked if someone random could walk in off the street and pull that.

2) $21/hr doesn't mean much when you get scheduled for 10 hours a week, have to keep at minimum 40-60 hours open on your schedule to stay employed, and have a different schedule every week that you only receive a week in advance.

Many restaurants are paying $15+ now. I don't think this is likely just management.

#2 doesn't make sense. They have to staff for X number of person hours to maintain their target service levels. Whether they are paying $21/hr to a single employee for 40 hours or 4 employees 10 hours each, it doesn't matter. Their labor cost is the same. Also, why would they not pay a single employee up to 40 hours. say 35 to keep it under full time?! Makes no sense not to.

No. Once you get close to 40-hour weeks, you have to start paying for insurance, especially if you're a larger employer, such as McDonald's. Four employees at 10 hours each means you can have them cover for each other without hitting a threshold for benefits or overtime.
Burdizzo
AG
jteAg said:

21/hour… eh….
Chump change.

I have been contemplating doing the same. A friend of mine is a retired trucker, and he does this for the health insurance.
beerad12man
AG
bmks270 said:

I wouldn't say no one. I work in construction. It might not be every week, but during our peaks, there has absolutely been people who have worked 90+ hours. Many times. working 3 straight shifts, or about 36 straight hours, basically. Then doing it again after a little time off. All of the sudden some might be around middle of the day on Friday who have worked 70-80 hours. If their job continued on the weekend, which often times it did yeah. 90+
CapCity12thMan
AG
but the tweet didn't discuss the anomaly jobs where *some* people work 90+ hours. IMHO that is a rare exception. The jobs they listed in context were "lawyer, accountant, investment banking analyst, developer, etc"

none of those work 90 hours/week. 60? possibly. 50 more like it. 44-45 prob most common.

"up to $21/hr" is essentially hiring clickbait
Faustus
administrative errors said:

First year lawyers at big law firms make over $200k, not $100k.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
200k base?
jteAg
Burdizzo said:

jteAg said:

21/hour… eh….
Chump change.

I have been contemplating doing the same. A friend of mine is a retired trucker, and he does this for the health insurance.

You should really consider it. Not a bad gig at all, plus school districts are really in a bind for good drivers right now.
neAGle96
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

Now lets see those menu prices.

'There is no truth higher wages increase cost of goods' Jen Psaki
texsn95
AG
jteAg said:

21/hour… eh….
Chump change.
If a kid was at the bus stop with a MAGA hat on, you'd just drive on by, wouldn't ya?
CowboyGirl
AG
Champ Bailey said:

200k base?
Associate compensation is somewhat standard across firms - especially the big ones - for competitive reasons (associates would jump ship to better paying firms, so everyone pays about the same).

For 2021, 1st year fresh out of school associates start at $205K at our firm and I think we're fairly representative. Bonus is on top of that.
AggiEE

Nothing to push.

Fiat done push everyone to it.

Crypto = Fiat
BusterAg
AG
Goose06 said:

waitwhat? said:

IB analyst is fresh out of undergrad. Going rates in NYC are more like $85k to $100k for top school candidates.

But, the hours are easily 80 - 100 per week, probably 85 - 90 on average. Bonuses are still between 50% and 100%.

But, these are more like highly paid, overworked internships before graduate school than an entry level job. You do great in IB, get into a top MBA, and then go back as an associate for $200k base or more.

That said, a 2,000 hour work week at $21 is $42k. That is not bad starting right out of high-school. Or after dropping out of high-school.

Check out the pay at Buc-ee's next time you fill up.
jteAg
texsn95 said:

jteAg said:

21/hour… eh….
Chump change.
If a kid was at the bus stop with a MAGA hat on, you'd just drive on by, wouldn't ya?

Haha, no. In fact, I play golf with a number of guys who have MAGA hats. We just agree to disagree… misguided as they may be.
CheeseSndwch
Faustus said:

The bimodal salary distribution of recent law school graduates is really quite remarkable. Tip of the hat to anyone who starts off at $200K.
administrative errors
CheeseSndwch said:

Faustus said:

The bimodal salary distribution of recent law school graduates is really quite remarkable. Tip of the hat to anyone who starts off at $200K.

Eeeeek. That's terrifying. Is there a similar metric for other highly educated careers? Medical doctor, other doctorates, engineers?
And even better to reference the cost of the education layered over.
And finally a mean of cost and a mean of income graph over time.

Pretty revealing, that data.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
TXAGFAN
AG

Whos working 91 hours a week? Sure there are some, but we could change this to Public Co CEO and put an equally stupid number of hours to arrive at same result.

Agree no one should make $21 an hour at McDonalds.
57 STATES!
$21/hr is too much but $1,000,000/hr isn't.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.