The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

102,772 Views | 899 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LMCane
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Hey man, the party has already moved on from this talking point. You gotta get updated on the new ones. You're supposed to be on "Yes, we are experiencing the worst inflation in US history, but that's actually a good thing."
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Ag with kids
AG
BD88 said:

While written in June 2022, percentages are still pretty close. Those that scream this is all about money printing are incorrect. Currenty, this is mainly a SUPPLY side issue unless you have verifiable proof it is something else. I would like to see it.

San Francisco Fed Research Department - How Much Do Supply and Deman Drive Inflation
"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output."
BD88
AG
Are facts talking points? That's new.
waitwhat?
BD88 said:

While written in June 2022, percentages are still pretty close. Those that scream this is all about money printing are incorrect. Currenty, this is mainly a SUPPLY side issue unless you have verifiable proof it is something else. I would like to see it.

San Francisco Fed Research Department - How Much Do Supply and Deman Drive Inflation

So you post an article by the fed, which is responsible for inflation (literally, they intentionally target 2-3% per year), saying that it's not actually their fault, and you just think "sounds legit. Why would they lie?"
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
richardag
YouBet said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

LMCane said:

does OldAg miraculously appear in August when the inflation rate is 8.9%..

crowing about how "inflation has peaked and is now coming down to Biden's wonderful statecraft!"

I heard a good guess that I too am hitching my wagon to. We aren't governed by rational people in this country.

We see inflation soar well into September and then we see rates lower and spending start getting even more stupid around October because "we have to get the economy stimulated" will be crowed by this admin.

Gird your loins. Next year and the year after are going to have a reckoning the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.
Nailed it.

That dude conflating all kinds of stuff. The semi-conductor issue is not an inflation issue - it's a national security issue. We have to build more here because we otherwise are dependent upon one country that is a target of China. It also doesn't necessarily mean that it brings the price way down. It's going to cost more to build them here than elsewhere because we will pay more to get it done.
You just pointed out the sheer lunacy, if not outright lying by these people.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
BD88
AG
*** Personal attacks are out of bounds -- Staff ***
richardag
The dollar is a commodity.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
BD88
AG
Perfect for the simpletons. Almost as good as quoting an economist.
YouBet
AG
BD88 said:

You have to be f'ing kidding me? I think most of us agree there are a mix of things causing inflation but this "analysis" is further proof of what I've been saying about this entire deal - that money printing is abjectly ignored by the supposed "experts". As if it never happened!!!!

There wasn't a single sentence in this generic and meaningless analysis about the printing of money. That is flat out negligence of an analysis and a joke, accordingly.

Are you stating that money printing had no impact on inflation?
BD88
AG
YouBet said:

BD88 said:

You have to be f'ing kidding me? I think most of us agree there are a mix of things causing inflation but this "analysis" is further proof of what I've been saying about this entire deal - that money printing is abjectly ignored by the supposed "experts". As if it never happened!!!!

There wasn't a single sentence in this generic and meaningless analysis about the printing of money. That is flat out negligence of an analysis and a joke, accordingly.

Did you read the report? Demand is due to money printing. Hard for some to understand. Pretty sure demand was discussed. AGAIN, feel free to share verifiable evidence that staes your case unless of course there is a political narrative you are pushing. I would really like to read it.
Clown Baby
Quote:

Be sure to allocate portfolios accordingly.

Dude, you probably need to apologize for this to any simpleton out there blind enough to take your investing advice.
YouBet
AG
BD88 said:

YouBet said:

BD88 said:

Did you read the report? Demand is due to money printing. Hard for some to understand. Pretty sure demand was discussed. AGAIN, feel free to share verifiable evidence that staes your case unless of course there is a political narrative you are pushing. I would really like to read it.
I did read it. Am I supposed to assume demand driven price changes are caused by money printing in this analysis? It seems like that would be mentioned but maybe that's on me for not knowing if that's common practice to just assume that.

Again, I've always said a mix of things caused/are causing inflation. It's been laughable to me though to have some people completely ignore printing of money as a cause which is what I thought was happening here.
JamesE4
AG
NOyster DuPree said:

Decay said:

ProgN said:

I'd love to know the 12 idiots that starred his OP.

I'm guessing… people who got drunk and starred it by accident

Right here
Never too late to un star
richardag
BD88 said:

Perfect for the simpletons. Almost as good as quoting an economist.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the graph.
Redstone
AG
TITLE
Fed tackles inflation with its most diverse leadership ever

"Leadership at the Federal Reserve has become its most diverse ever. There are more female, Black and gay officials contributing to the central bank's interest-rate decisions than at any time in its 109-year history."

LINK
https://apnews.com/article/inflation-united-states-jackson-wyoming-economy-935581a0036858b89bcb2ca6c72b498d

Inflation is our strength.
YouBet
AG
Redstone said:

TITLE
Fed tackles inflation with its most diverse leadership ever

"Leadership at the Federal Reserve has become its most diverse ever. There are more female, Black and gay officials contributing to the central bank's interest-rate decisions than at any time in its 109-year history."

LINK
https://apnews.com/article/inflation-united-states-jackson-wyoming-economy-935581a0036858b89bcb2ca6c72b498d

Inflation is our strength.
Bound to make us dumber and make poor decisions.
C@LAg
hahahaha. now even Texags sponsors are making fun of the OP.

I support that message.
C@LAg
cevans_40
AG
11 stars?

Who are these dumbasses
Fat Black Swan
AG
BD88 said:

Residential and commercial construction costs have increased ~40% over the last 30 months. This wasn't caused by supply chain or supply and demand issues.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Ag with kids said:

BD88 said:

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output."
ProgN
Inflation rose 0.1% in August even with sharp drop in gas prices (cnbc.com)
Quote:

Inflation rose more than expected in August as rising shelter and food costs offset a drop in gas prices, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Tuesday.

The consumer price index, which tracks a broad swath of goods and services, increased 0.1% for the month and 8.3% over the past year. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, CPI rose 0.6% from July and 6.3% from the same month in 2021.

Economists had been expecting headline inflation to fall 0.1% and core to increase 0.3%, according to Dow Jones estimates. The respective year-over-year forecasts were for 8% and 6% gains.

Energy prices fell 5% for the month, led by a 10.6% slide in the gasoline index. However, those declines were offset by increases elsewhere.

The food index increased 0.8% in August and shelter costs, which make up about one-third of the weighting in the CPI, jumped 0.7% and are up 6.2% from a year ago.

Medical care services also showed a big gain, rising 0.8% on the month and up 5.6% from August 2021. New vehicle prices also climbed, increasing 0.8% though used vehicles fell 0.1%.

Markets slumped after the news, with futures tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average down nearly 350 points after being higher earlier.

"Today's CPI reading is a stark reminder of the long road we have until inflation is back down to earth," said Mike Loewengart, head of model portfolio construction for Morgan Stanley's Global Investment Office. "Wishful expectations that we are on a downward trajectory and the Fed will lay off the gas may have been a bit premature."
Long road sure doesn't sound "transitory".
Adverse Event
Ban inflation, everywhere.
Tex117
AG
Its the even with the drop in gas prices that is the stinger.

It means that its not just an "energy" crisis, but something truly systemic.
Redstone
AG
It's extremely bad out there, as anyone who has been to a grocery store in the past 2 years knows very well.

will25u
How many months is transitory?
Redstone
AG
The latest federal consumer price index report two days ago surprised Wall Street by how bad it was, with food inflation being particularly severe.

Anyone bought chicken lately? Or milk?
CDUB98
AG
The thread that keeps on giving.
Ellis Wyatt
CDUB98 said:

OP isn't worried about it, you MAGA extremist. This is just transitory.
CDUB98
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

CDUB98 said:

OP isn't worried about it, you MAGA extremist. This is just transitory.

OP can extreme this

|
|
|
v
Helicopter Ben
OP is just like my in-laws. They faithfully believe and trust all these corrupt politicians and unelected bureaucrats with power to enrich each other at their expense. If you warn them and try to teach them something, their smug and dismissive attitude blocks any new information from making it in. When they're proven wrong, time and again, they move the goalposts, shift the blame, or claim that nobody could have predicted this. They will never open their mind until everything is in ruins. And even then it'll be someone else's fault.
TRADUCTOR
Spend and save our way out of inflation is the economic Godzilla.
Fat Black Swan
AG
OP read The Theory of Money and Credit once. Concluded it was BS and MMT was complete and flawless.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Oldag2020 said:

3 weeks ago I would have said inflation was higher for longer than expected, but it would still decrease to approximately 3% over the next several months.

However, the Ukrainian invasion has dramatically changed my opinion. There is real reason to be extremely concerned about inflation and a potential recession. The fed is going to be forced to raise interest rates dramatically to slow the inflation (which is still in my opinion caused by supply chain disruptions). Our risk of recession is going to increase dramatically when interest rates rise.

Stagflation is becoming a legitimate issue and I'm afraid this isn't going to be pretty.

Invest in real estate. Invest in treasury inflation protected securities (TIPS). Especially if close to retirement. Get a good financial advisor if you don't have one. Ensure you're properly allocated.

OP last posted on Texags in March. Still pushing a politically driven narrative as economics. His refusal to even consider critical thought is actually really sad.
ProgN
I'd bet he's changed his username. I don't care enough to dig what it might be but he won't comeback to this thread. I only bump this thread with economic reports because his OP was condescending, arrogant and embarrassingly wrong, which several "olds" pointed out on the first page. IMO, he's young and bought into the MMT bs his professors preached, even though those dumbasses would bankrupt a lemonade stand. If he were to comeback to this thread, swallow his pride and admit he was wrong then I wouldn't save this thread and let it die. I don't know him but I'd bet money he'd rather walk on broken glass and hot coals then admit he was wrong. It's like rubbing a puppy's nose in his own crap and they learn. So if you read this OP, just swallow your pride and admit that you were wrong and this embarrassing thread will die. We've all been humbled in life and the lessons learned made us better individuals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.