Frisco ISD Read Woke challenge

10,829 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by geb83
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Frisco ISD has a "optional" reading challenge (funded with prizes for participation) for books that "challenge social norms".

Here is the information.
Facebook post from Nancy Jo Lambert (wording below and link to google Doc reading list plus photos of the post and promotional material posted in schools).

"As a Frisco ISD Librarian, I want to state that some conservative political activists are spreading misinformation about an optional reading challenge that that we, the high school librarians in FISD, started this year based off of a past School Libary Journal Librarian of the Year, Cicely Lewis, who lives in Georgia's nationwide reading challenge.

All Frisco ISD High Schools are participating in an optional Read Woke Challenge, created by Cicely Lewis, AKA Cicely The Great. The FISD HS librarians chose 10 books for the challenge. For more detailed information about the books, go here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IZhEwwmPib81DzFsr77N76r5tVomiaMcZTH-t36rDU0/preview

So FISD is rewarding kids with prizes if they reject their whiteness. Why is this being funded by taxpayers?
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

The FISD Read Woke Challenge is an optional reading challenge for high school students and staff. The original challenge was created by the 2020 School Librarian of the Year, Cicely Lewis, as a way to encourage her students to read. She curated a list of books that "reflected current events in our society" and depicted characters who looked like her students. She shared the list with students, and the challenge was born. A quick internet search of 'read woke' reveals many similar programs throughout the country.

The FISD high school librarians were looking for an additional way to encourage reading this school year given that not all students are on campus. Having heard about the Read Woke challenge, they agreed that doing their own version of it could be a great way to get students reading while also highlighting popular young adult books that cover current topics faced in society today and of importance to the young people they serve.

The #fisdreadwoke challenge is an optional program for students and staff. Participants read from the list of selected titles and earn prizes. The challenge is one of several reading promotion programs happening in FISD high school libraries this year. There's something for everyone!

akm91
AG
A good thing my kids go to private school and not Reedy down the road.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TxAgPreacher
S
We should make Marxism illegal. Not joking.

Call me a fascist I don't care.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Reject soy based woke screed, embrace right wing esoteric literature.
MouthBQ98
AG
Eye rolling.
Clob94
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

Frisco ISD has a "optional" reading challenge (funded with prizes for participation) for books that "challenge social norms".

Here is the information.
Facebook post from Nancy Jo Lambert (wording below and link to google Doc reading list plus photos of the post and promotional material posted in schools).

"As a Frisco ISD Librarian, I want to state that some conservative political activists are spreading misinformation about an optional reading challenge that that we, the high school librarians in FISD, started this year based off of a past School Libary Journal Librarian of the Year, Cicely Lewis, who lives in Georgia's nationwide reading challenge.

All Frisco ISD High Schools are participating in an optional Read Woke Challenge, created by Cicely Lewis, AKA Cicely The Great. The FISD HS librarians chose 10 books for the challenge. For more detailed information about the books, go here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IZhEwwmPib81DzFsr77N76r5tVomiaMcZTH-t36rDU0/preview

So FISD is rewarding kids with prizes if they reject their whiteness. Why is this being funded by taxpayers?

When you self gloss with a title like that--- you're a ****ing clown.

Edit for--- yep--- I knew it.

https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=Reading-is-my-superpower-Cicely-Lewis-2020-School-Librarian-of-the-Year-Books-libraries
94chem
Quote:

"Libary"?

"off of"?

How does one "live in Georgia's nationwide reading challenge"?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
titan
S
TxAgPreacher said:

What is the basis for not pushing Nazism? Think about it. There is your precedent to drive it out.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
akm91 said:

Every time I balance my checkbook and look at all I spend on private education I sigh. Then I read one of these articles and remember why I do it.
titan
S

This particularly thing though, appears to be optional:

Quote:

On its face, that can be okay. But its hard to imagine being rewarded for reading Chomsky last century. Maybe.

Just as long as nothing is off the table from other political sides.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

"Libary"?

"off of"?

How does one "live in Georgia's nationwide reading challenge"?
I was just going to point out, that is a pretty stupid librarian.
Old Buffalo
AG
If you brand the campaign with "WOKE" in the title, there's not a lot of misinformation that can come from that.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
RebelE Infantry
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Consider that fascism is purely reactionary to communism. "Break glass in case of communists" if you will. Now look around at the political and cultural zeitgeist.

...welcome to the club!
MGS
Just remember, FISD school board election is this Saturday, May 1.

Are there any candidates that will push back against this?
titan
S
RebelE Infantry said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Consider that fascism is purely reactionary to communism. "Break glass in case of communists" if you will. Now look around at the political and cultural zeitgeist.

...welcome to the club!
More to the point, what is the basis for not teaching it and advocating it as an approach? And if refuse to do so, why does the even worse Marxist collectivist thought that was the Cold War foe get a pass?

None seem to be looking at that.
FrioAg 00:
Diet Cokehead
AG
MGS said:

I live in Frisco and have a son starting in the district next year. Would love to know the anti-woke candidates.
Little Rock Ag
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Absolutely. IF we do have a chance to reclaim this nation from the leftists, I am 100% for a purge of those who have led us to this situation.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Little Rock Ag said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Absolutely. IF we do have a chance to reclaim this nation from the leftists, I am 100% for a purge of those who have led us to this situation.

The problem is which side evolves into the facists. This ridiculous movement is a quasi Marxist facists revolution. I am all for a facists movement of its conservatives who are implementing it however I am not certain that will be the case. I know Marxism and fascism on the surface are on opposite ends of the spectrum however from what I have seen these radicals have created a new genre of oppression that is a combination of both.
TxAgPreacher
S
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Little Rock Ag said:

TxAgPreacher said:

The problem is which side evolves into the facists. This ridiculous movement is a quasi Marxist facists revolution. I am all for a facists movement of its conservatives who are implementing it however I am not certain that will be the case. I know Marxism and fascism on the surface are on opposite ends of the spectrum however from what I have seen these radicals have created a new genre of oppression that is a combination of both.

You're talking about authoritarianism. I dont like it, but marxists only understand force.

How to restore freedom is the question.
FriscoKid
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

MGS said:

I live in Frisco and have a son starting in the district next year. Would love to know the anti-woke candidates.
Evelyn Brooks
akm91
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

akm91 said:

Every time I nance my checkbook and look at all I spend on private education I sigh. Then I read one of these articles am remember why I do it.
Yep, will be K-12 for both kids by the time we're done.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
TxAgPreacher said:

Little Rock Ag said:

TxAgPreacher said:

You're talking about authoritarianism. I dont like it, but marxists only understand force.

How to restore freedom is the question.

I agree with you and I think honestly the answer is to fight back like we have nothing to LOSE.
Valhalla
titan said:

TxAgPreacher said:

What is the basis for not pushing Nazism? Think about it. There is your precedent to drive it out.

Considering fascism came about solely as a reactionary push against Marxism, well there isn't any real reason to not push it now.
harge57
AG
This absolute non-sense in my own backyard.
titan
S
Valhalla said:

titan said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Considering fascism came about solely as a reactionary push against Marxism, well there isn't any real reason to not push it now.
Well you see, that is part of the overlooked history. But it only makes the point further --- if you can ban it, why isn't the worse Marxism banned? And what was the grounds used---- the Right needs to use those same grounds to get rid of this Critical Theory descendent of Bolshevism.

FrioAg 00:
Valhalla

Little Rock Ag said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Fascism and communism both use authoritarian means of control. They may use similar control methods but their endgame and underlying social mores are very different.
BlueSmoke
akm91 said:

Furk. I have a freshman @ Reedy. Dammit....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
TxAgPreacher
S
So what do we give them three choices go to jail, stop spreading Marxism, or be deported? Don't really want big brother able to throw anyone in jail on trumped up charges...

Not sure how it would work, or if it wouldn't backfire.
Sully Dog
BlueSmoke said:

akm91 said:

Furk. I have a freshman @ Reedy. Dammit....
Well, what are you going to do about?
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Ag with kids
AG
I'd like to recommend The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as a book that "challenges social norms".
titan
S
TxAgPreacher said:

So what do we give them three choices go to jail, stop spreading Marxism, or be deported? Don't really want big brother able to throw anyone in jail on trumped up charges...

Where does all that come from? Deporting? Just throw them out of education control positions. An American is free to believe in Marxism even if they want to. This is a question of what you allow your school system to push and sponsor. See the comparison to pushing fasicsm.
FrioAg 00:
TxAgPreacher
S
titan said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Where does all that come from? Deporting? Just throw them out of education control positions. An American is free to believe in Marxism even if they want to. This is a question of what you allow your school system to push and sponsor. See the comparison to pushing fasicsm.

Doesn't fascism include force? If we are pushing it we should know what it looks like at its worst.
BlueSmoke
Reedy's librarian in case you want to see where this is coming from. Her choices are her own. Be you. I have a feeling her being "her" is not going to be enough for the rest of us

Reedy Librarian bio
Quote:

I am a white, cis, queer-bisexual woman, married to a man and the mother of two children

I come to this work with the hope that by coming out, telling my story, and living my truth I can be a positive force of change for our heteronormative educational world. I also hope that other closeted educators will feel empowered to join us and, on their own terms, come out so we can all be free to live as we are. Brave before perfect. It is with gratitude and bravery that I enter this space, with all students and educators, and offer myself to this work.
[url=https://edupridealliance.blogspot.com/2019/09/how-i-came-to-this-work-nancy-jo-lambert.html][/url]

Nobody cares. Work Harder
stetson
AG
Frisco ISD should also have a reading challenge that "challenge woke narratives". Past time to fight fire with fire.

Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules. -- Alinsky Rules for Radicals #4
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.