Widespread Tornado Outbreak Expected Today & Tomorrow

5,310 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Fife
TTUArmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weather was gorgeous in the 806 yesterday. BBQ'd some chicken thies and veggie kabobs for the wifey. We ate outside on the patio and listened to the 'chich-chich-chich' of the water sprinklers with a big pitcher of sweet tea. Today, the hard wind gusts are twisting my oaks, carrying west Texas farm dirt clear into the next state, the sky is a reddish-brown hue, and it's chilly to boot. Good with the bad I guess...
Tramp96
TTUArmy said:

Weather was gorgeous in the 806 yesterday. BBQ'd some chicken thies and veggie kabobs for the wifey. We ate outside on the patio and listened to the 'chich-chich-chich' of the water sprinklers with a big pitcher of sweet tea. Today, the hard wind gusts are twisting my oaks, carrying west Texas farm dirt clear into the next state, the sky is a reddish-brown hue, and it's chilly to boot. Good with the bad I guess...

That's the way the 806 go.

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

They are professionals, not alarmists like some private weather outfits, the Weather Channel being the absolute worst.
There's a TV weather guy in Lubbock who is so famous for his alarmism that they call him "Run for the hills Ron".

Side note, can you tell me what the difference is in the TV guys who call themselves

Weatherman
Forecaster
Meterologist
etc.?

Are there actual ranks or ratings?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Weather was gorgeous in the 806 yesterday.
Day before yesterday was the best. That was after the tornado last Saturday, and before the blizzard today.

Ah, Panhandle weather.
TTUArmy
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

They are professionals, not alarmists like some private weather outfits, the Weather Channel being the absolute worst.
There's a TV weather guy in Lubbock who is so famous for his alarmism that they call him "Run for the hills Ron".

Side note, can you tell me what the difference is in the TV guys who call themselves

Weatherman
Forecaster
Meterologist
etc.?

Ron Roberts is a bonehead.
CanyonAg77
AG
I see that you know Ron.

Side note, I grew up in Hale County, and moved north over 25 years ago. When I go back to check on mom, I am amazed at how many of the TV personalities are still there after all these years.

We saw Abner Eurusti once at a Lubbock restaurant. That guy has a weird body. Huge head on a short guy.
Rapier108
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Weatherman
Forecaster
Meterologist
etc.?

If the term is used correctly, a meteorologist is someone who actually has a degree in meteorology.

A forecaster generally is a meteorologist who specializes in actually forecasting the weather. Some may have degrees in other, but related fields.

Many of the on the air weather people have degrees in journalism or something else completely worthless; but since all they're doing is reading a script, they don't really need to understand what they're reading. Their job is to simply not screw up on camera.

Weatherman is a generic term for anyone who works in the field, degree and actual job is irrelevant.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CanyonAg77
AG
I like the British term. They simply call on air talking heads "news readers".

They don't pretend that the "talent" know anything.
Tramp96
TTUArmy said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Weatherman
Forecaster
Meterologist
etc.?

Ron Roberts is a bonehead.
Ron Roberts loved to break into live TV with an emergency weather update.

"Sorry to break into Monday Night Football, but we have an echo footprint of heavy winds at Loop 288 and University."

Side note: his mother, Ida, was my academic advisor at Tech. This was back in the day when you had to have your registration card signed by your advisor before the ladies from the Registrar's office would take it and enter in all the courses/sections you wanted in their computer, and then turn around and tell you all the classes that were full and go back and try again.

Ida signed off on anything I wrote on the card. We had a solid advisor-advisee relationship. I gave her the card, she signed it, no questions asked.
Rapier108
Quote:

Tornado Warning
ALC125-172000-
/O.NEW.KBMX.TO.W.0016.210317T1920Z-210317T2000Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Birmingham AL
220 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

The National Weather Service in Birmingham has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
South central Tuscaloosa County in west central Alabama...

* Until 300 PM CDT.

* At 220 PM CDT, a tornado producing storm was located near
Knoxville, or 13 miles northeast of Eutaw, moving northeast at 30
mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
damage is likely.

* Locations impacted include...
Tuscaloosa, Moundville, Coaling, University Mall, McFarland Mall,
Shelton State Community College, Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, Bryant
Denny Stadium, Englewood, Little Sandy, Maxwell, University Of
Alabama Quad, Taylorville, Hull, Mound State Park, Stillman
College, Duncanville and Palmore Park.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a tornado is on the ground. TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a
basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
NormanAg
AG
Pretty good summary. I would add that a degreed TV or Radio meteorologist can get certified by the American Meteorological Society under their Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) program. The requirements are actually pretty strenuous and often broadcast meteorologists who have a degree in Meteorology don't apply for certification. Those that do apply, meet the requirements, and pass a rigorous test can display an AMS Seal of Approval during their broadcasts.

Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Program (CBM) - American Meteorological Society (ametsoc.org)

Quote:

On 7 February 2020, the AMS Council upon recommendation of the Board of Broadcast Meteorology approved a change to the CBM application requirements. As of March 15th, in order to be eligible to apply for the CBM, an individual must hold a degree in meteorology (or equivalent) from an accredited college/university* and have at least two years full time or three years part time experience as an on-air broadcast meteorologist at a local television station and/or national network. College experience at a student-run station does not qualify for this work requirement.
I was stationed at Cannon AFB, Clovis NM in the early 70's (2Lt newbie) and again in the early 80's (Maj and now BOSS). We got our TV from Amarillo and Lubbock. During my first tour an Amarillo TV forecaster, Len Slesick, was my favorite. He was absolutely NAILS, especially when it came to blizzards that often formed in eastern NM. As a newbie forecaster I have to say I learned a hell of about the eastern NM/Tx Panhandle weather from watching Len and also Dan True, another great Panhandle forecaster. He's 90 now and lives in Clovis.

Speaking of TV weather forecasters in general, here's a few observations. I think the best TV forecasters are in areas where the weather can often become quite intense (Panhandle - Tornadoes, Blizzards, Houston Hurricane, floods for example). Also, the longer a meteorologist has been at one location the better understanding of the local weather quirks/tendencies/etc they have. That's why I rarely watch Weather Channel or national news network TV meteorologists. They just give broad brush forecasts without accounting for the LOCAL quirks/tendencies that IMO are so important for accurate forecasting.
Biz Ag
AG
Oklahoma got blasted by several F-4 & F-5 tornadoes in the '90's.
Rapier108
Quote:

Severe Weather Statement
241 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

ALC125-172000-
/O.CON.KBMX.TO.W.0016.000000T0000Z-210317T2000Z/
Tuscaloosa AL-
241 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 300 PM CDT FOR SOUTH
CENTRAL TUSCALOOSA COUNTY...

At 241 PM CDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was
located near Shelton State Community College, or 9 miles south of
Tuscaloosa, moving northeast at 30 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

SOURCE...Public confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Tuscaloosa, Moundville, Coaling, University Mall, McFarland Mall,
Shelton State Community College, Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, Bryant
Denny Stadium, Englewood, Little Sandy, Maxwell, University Of
Alabama Quad, Taylorville, Hull, Mound State Park, Duncanville and
Stillman College.
NormanAg
AG
Biz Ag said:

Oklahoma got blasted by several F-4 & F-5 tornadoes in the '90's.
Yep, I was there. The worst was the May 3, 1999 long track tornado that started just north of Lawton and tore up Moore, OK and south OKC. The tornado was headed for our house and then Tinker AFB but made a left turn about a block east of our house. It just missed Tinker AFB but tore up Del City. Overall there were 42 deaths from that one tornado.

Several years later a smaller tornado passed about a mile south of our house. We moved to southwest IL last Nov. We loved OK, but certainly won't miss the tornadoes.
Rapier108
Quote:

Severe Weather Statement
246 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

ALC125-172000-
/O.CON.KBMX.TO.W.0016.000000T0000Z-210317T2000Z/
Tuscaloosa AL-
246 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 300 PM CDT FOR SOUTH
CENTRAL TUSCALOOSA COUNTY...

At 245 PM CDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was
located over Shelton State Community College, or 7 miles south of
Tuscaloosa, moving northeast at 30 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

SOURCE...Public confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Tuscaloosa, Coaling, McFarland Mall, University Mall, Shelton State
Community College, Duncanville, Englewood, Little Sandy, Maxwell,
Taylorville and Hull.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly
tornado is on the ground. To protect your life, TAKE COVER NOW! Move
to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.
aggiehawg
AG
Man! Tuscaloosa gets hit again?
Biz Ag
AG
Tomorrow marks the 96th anniversary of the Tri-State tornado that devastated southern Illinois.

ttu_85
aggiehawg said:

Looks like it. And yet the temp was in the high 60's with a Dew point of 61. Not exactly prime F4 stuff. The upper atmosphere must be insane to gen a storm like that with so little surface heating.

I'm in Huntsville Temp 62 Dew point 59. Its keeping the nasty stuff away but Western Miss is starting to heatup with mid 70's and Dew points around 70. If it gets into the 80's it will get 4/3/1974 and 4/27/2011 Bad.

Praying those clouds and north winds hold on. Severe weather likes heat and humidity.
ttu_85
Biz Ag said:

Tomorrow marks the 96th anniversary of the Tri-State tornado that devastated southern Illinois.

Worst Tornado BY FAR in US history.
rednecked
AG
Rapier108 said:

PearlJammin said:

The tornado belt sure seems to have shifted east the last 10 years. Moved to Dallas area 15 years ago and have only had a couple of close calls with weak nados. Meanwhile, SEC country has been getting hit with F4 tornadoes every damn year.
While Tornado Alley is the best known area for tornadoes, Dixie Alley is known for having more higher end, long track tornadoes. It is definitely not a new or recent phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Alley
I think I met Dixie Alley one night in Atlanta when I was stationed at Ft. Gordon!
Biz Ag
AG
Yep. Killed 695 people. Tornado traveled 220 miles in 3-1/2 hours.
NormanAg
AG
ttu_85 said:

aggiehawg said:

Looks like it. And yet the temp was in the high 60's with a Dew point of 61. Not exactly prime F4 stuff. The upper atmosphere must be insane to gen a storm like that with so little surface heating.

I'm in Huntsville Temp 62 Dew point 59. Its keeping the nasty stuff away but Western Miss is starting to heatup with mid 70's and Dew points around 70. If it gets into the 80's it will get 4/3/1974 and 4/27/2011 Bad.

Praying those clouds and north winds hold on. Severe weather likes heat and humidity.
Damn, I enjoy your posts about the weather! Almost makes me want to put down my glass of Merlot, get out of my recliner (much more comfortable than a rocking chair, but I do have one on the front porch) and head for the NWS St Louis forecast office. I said ALMOST.
ttu_85
NormanAg said:

ttu_85 said:

aggiehawg said:

Damn, I enjoy your posts about the weather! Almost makes me want to put down my glass of Merlot, get out of my recliner (much more comfortable than a rocking chair, but I do have one on the front porch) and head for the NWS St Louis forecast office. I said ALMOST.
And I yours.

When I was at Tech I was chasing these things and saw exactly 1 F2. Now that I'm a little older I chase the cool stable air Seriously I was stunned to see that huge hook echo near Tuscaloosa with it that cool and a dew point of only 62. Learn something new every day.

In Texas these baby's need 85+, 60+ just to get started.
The Fife
Tomorrow looks like it could be ugly in Charleston. Day care is on early dismissal, so maybr that jinxed things enough to keep it from getting bad.
annie88
AG
Apparently there's already been some pretty hard-hit states this afternoon. It could not be more beautiful in Bryan today, not yesterday it was a disgusting, humid yuck, but thank God no tornadoes.

For those in its path God bless you I hope people can stay safe
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Ag2Max
AG
My friend texted me from Midland......Chamber of Commerce weather today. 61 with a dust storm!! I remember those days growing up in west Texas. Don't miss the contacts and the dust combination.
Junction71
AG
Just drove from Kerrville to Junction on IH10 and dust is as bad as I've seen it in that area. Wife was wearing her covid mask.
The Collective
AG
Holy sh...
The Collective
AG
Nice drone footage.
ttu_85
Ag2Max said:

My friend texted me from Midland......Chamber of Commerce weather today. 61 with a dust storm!! I remember those days growing up in west Texas. Don't miss the contacts and the dust combination.
Midland what whimps. Now Odessa could get the dust.
aggiehawg
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Holy sh...

That's a large wedge tornado. How big could the base be? A mile? More?
Rapier108
Quote:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Tornado Watch Number 36
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
645 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of
Alabama
Eastern Mississippi
Coastal Waters

* Effective this Wednesday night and Thursday morning from 645 PM
until 300 AM CDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

* Primary threats include...
Several tornadoes and a few intense tornadoes likely
Widespread damaging winds and scattered significant gusts to 80
mph likely
Scattered large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible

SUMMARY...A further strengthening of low/mid-level winds this
evening will support a combination of semi-discrete supercells as
well as organizing fast-moving line segments across much of eastern
Mississippi into Alabama. Tornadoes, including a few strong, aside
from damaging winds will be the most prevalent hazards.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 100 statute miles
north and south of a line from 15 miles northwest of Pine Belt MS to
35 miles southeast of Anniston AL. For a complete depiction of the
watch see the associated watch outline update (WOUS64 KWNS WOU6).

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0036.html
45-70Ag
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Those counties are boned.

Cromagnum
AG
Cool imagery.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.