So everyone is still wearing masks...

10,866 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FratboyLegend
MsDoubleD81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to Kroger maskless tho I only needed 1 item. I was the only person without a mask. One lady had on 3 of the blue paper ones.
Maroon Dawn
AG
austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

the governments decision to end the mandate to wear mask doesn't change the responsibility that comes with my freedom. Wearing a well fitting well designed mask in confined areas is a small burden and has been shown to lower transmission rates (even if only a little). Because of those two things I still wear one. The fact that someone would see my decision to do that in any type of negative way shows how ridiculously politicized such a simple decision has become. Such a response seriously brings into question whether that persons judgement is being clouded by politics.
Well, here's the thing. It's political because the left/Covidians have made it political. Hell, they've made it practically a religion as the left seemingly makes most of their secular planks something to worship.

Almost every public altercation we've seen has been caused by mask Nazi's accosting non-mask wearers. So, while you are seeing some ribbing online about wearing one, I highly doubt you will ever see a non-mask wearer accost you in public over it. Why? Because we don't give a sh^t and just want to be left alone. If you want to wear one, then go for it. I have zero issues with you wearing one. I think it's silly considering the data we have but it's fine if you do.

You may think it's silly but I've worked as an engineer in high volume high quality manufacturing for over twenty years. In my experience peoples intuitions tend to fail them when looking at low probability high consequence events. Decision making under those circumstances is tough but you typically don't pass up an essentially free opportunity to lower the probability of the bad outcome. Of course there is a crossover point where the risk mitigation doesn't make sense anymore and that can be difficult to determine but with the virus on the decline and vaccines becoming more available it hardly silly of me to wait a few more months when I can be certain by an order of magnitude that we have reached that point.

Your comments above the "silly" statement just lend more credence to my argument that the issue has become over politicized and that has the potential to cloud peoples judgment.
It's silly because they don't work. The CDC and multiple studies have said as much. They were/are essentially a Faustian Bargain we all agreed to participate in to allow some semblance of economic normalcy. However, if you personally feel better wearing one then go for it. I don't think anyone has any issues with folks that volunteer to wear masks and no one is going to say anything to you about it most likely.

Absolutely agree with you it has become political and that is because there is little to no legitimacy to the efficacy of masks for COVID. Thus, when a practice is forced upon a people that has no value add and actually does societal harm then that practice naturally becomes political. People tend to revolt against such events.

Since you brought the CDC up I went to their website thinking I must have missed something. Turns out your statement about them isn't aligned at all with their current guidance or the studies they cited. I assume you just haven't kept up with it but I suppose it's also
possible you are letting your political leanings blind you. Again the claim isn't that masks are the panacea or anywhere near as important as mask nazi's make them out to be. Only that its perfectly logical to wear them given the low cost to the user and how low probability high consequence events work.
All the statements on this thread about not understanding science etc.. show a lack of understanding of black swan events. Not that a death from COVID caused by not wearing a mask is truly a black swan because we KNOW it will happen to someone given enough interactions. Just that it is like a black swan event because the likelihood of it happening to you is very very small.

The CDC just admitted the other day that the difference between a masked population catching COVID and a non-masking population catching COVID are less than 1%

Masks don't work

They are pacifiers to make adults feel safe because no government official was willing to be honest and say "short of locking every American into their home, there is nothing we can do about COVID until a vaccine is developed"

To want to be worried about killing someone via COVID is like worrying about killing someone from spreading the flu

You've probably done it in your lifetime but you don't really care
Love Gun
MsDoubleD81 said:

I went to Kroger maskless tho I only needed 1 item. I was the only person without a mask. One lady had on 3 of the blue paper ones.

Exactly. I was in the same situation yesterday at Kroger. Doesn't it feel like people are looking at you as a rebel for being defiant than a person spreading disease?
austagg99
Maroon Dawn said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

the governments decision to end the mandate to wear mask doesn't change the responsibility that comes with my freedom. Wearing a well fitting well designed mask in confined areas is a small burden and has been shown to lower transmission rates (even if only a little). Because of those two things I still wear one. The fact that someone would see my decision to do that in any type of negative way shows how ridiculously politicized such a simple decision has become. Such a response seriously brings into question whether that persons judgement is being clouded by politics.
Well, here's the thing. It's political because the left/Covidians have made it political. Hell, they've made it practically a religion as the left seemingly makes most of their secular planks something to worship.

Almost every public altercation we've seen has been caused by mask Nazi's accosting non-mask wearers. So, while you are seeing some ribbing online about wearing one, I highly doubt you will ever see a non-mask wearer accost you in public over it. Why? Because we don't give a sh^t and just want to be left alone. If you want to wear one, then go for it. I have zero issues with you wearing one. I think it's silly considering the data we have but it's fine if you do.

You may think it's silly but I've worked as an engineer in high volume high quality manufacturing for over twenty years. In my experience peoples intuitions tend to fail them when looking at low probability high consequence events. Decision making under those circumstances is tough but you typically don't pass up an essentially free opportunity to lower the probability of the bad outcome. Of course there is a crossover point where the risk mitigation doesn't make sense anymore and that can be difficult to determine but with the virus on the decline and vaccines becoming more available it hardly silly of me to wait a few more months when I can be certain by an order of magnitude that we have reached that point.

Your comments above the "silly" statement just lend more credence to my argument that the issue has become over politicized and that has the potential to cloud peoples judgment.
It's silly because they don't work. The CDC and multiple studies have said as much. They were/are essentially a Faustian Bargain we all agreed to participate in to allow some semblance of economic normalcy. However, if you personally feel better wearing one then go for it. I don't think anyone has any issues with folks that volunteer to wear masks and no one is going to say anything to you about it most likely.

Absolutely agree with you it has become political and that is because there is little to no legitimacy to the efficacy of masks for COVID. Thus, when a practice is forced upon a people that has no value add and actually does societal harm then that practice naturally becomes political. People tend to revolt against such events.

Since you brought the CDC up I went to their website thinking I must have missed something. Turns out your statement about them isn't aligned at all with their current guidance or the studies they cited. I assume you just haven't kept up with it but I suppose it's also
possible you are letting your political leanings blind you. Again the claim isn't that masks are the panacea or anywhere near as important as mask nazi's make them out to be. Only that its perfectly logical to wear them given the low cost to the user and how low probability high consequence events work.
All the statements on this thread about not understanding science etc.. show a lack of understanding of black swan events. Not that a death from COVID caused by not wearing a mask is truly a black swan because we KNOW it will happen to someone given enough interactions. Just that it is like a black swan event because the likelihood of it happening to you is very very small.

The CDC just admitted the other day that the difference between a masked population catching COVID and a non-masking population catching COVID are less than 1%

Masks don't work

They are pacifiers to make adults feel safe because no government official was willing to be honest and say "short of locking every American into their home, there is nothing we can do about COVID until a vaccine is developed"

To want to be worried about killing someone via COVID is like worrying about killing someone from spreading the flu

The fact that you are talking about stats in the range of 1% shows just how clueless you are about the comparison to black swan events I am making. I've read a lot of your post so just to pacify you a bit I actually voted for Trump.
Maroon Dawn
AG
austagg99 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Masks don't work

The fact that you are talking about stats in the range of 1% shows just how clueless you are about the comparison to black swan events I am making. I've read a lot of your post so just to pacify you a bit I actually voted for Trump.

Ok

None of that makes masks effective and necessary
Daddy-O5
AG
Waiting for Wednesday for quite a few I think, though I too have been a bit surprised at the continuing adherence to the mandate so far.

Not a whole lot different for me personally, frequent the stores who don't enforce, steer clear of those that do. Not much more to it, will be the same for me after Wednesday.
Alta
AG
At my sons school masks are not required, about 1% of kids wear them (and I think only one faculty member) and cases have been extremely low. Actually lower than my daughters school where masks are required.
AggieUSMC
AG
The mandate doesn't end until Wednesday, so there's that.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I did have one that I was spinning around on my finger. Yes, I have been known to be a rebel.

I wanted to ask the lady wearing 3 if she had them on because she had COVID or was scared.

I also went thru self check. I think the CSR was coming for me but he got called away for liquor ID check. Just for grins, I used cash, and left the 37 cents change
Post removed:
by user
MsDoubleD81
AG
There are too many posters on here married to Karen's and will still be required to wear them.
Love Gun
MsDoubleD81 said:

I did have one that I was spinning around on my finger. Yes, I have been known to be a rebel.

I wanted to ask the lady wearing 3 if she had them on because she had COVID or was scared.

I also went thru self check. I think the CSR was coming for me but he got called away for liquor ID check. Just for grins, I used cash, and left the 37 cents change

Oh, I carry my backup, just in case, for the purpose of entering. Not sure they want me to wear it, though:
MsDoubleD81
EW2
S
6'2" 190? Im bigger than you are and higher on the food chain. GET IN MAH BELLLYY.
MsDoubleD81
AG
How are your ankles?
Stat Monitor Repairman
People are still wearing masks because they don't want to be falsely accused of being a Trump supporter.

Thats what this whole deal has evolved into.

Total hysteria.
BigRobSA
Electrical_Ag said:

I don't know about that. At our kids schools, masks have been required and case levels have been low, despite class levels being 20+ kids per room. I attribute mask usage to helping that.
Or....the science that shows that kids aren't really spreaders.

There's also that. Masks do jack and *****
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
PA24
AG
Go watch the movie Midnight Express
Note the guy deciding to walk around the circle the wrong way.
Take off your mask and set yourself free.
Ragoo
AG
BigRobSA said:

Electrical_Ag said:

I don't know about that. At our kids schools, masks have been required and case levels have been low, despite class levels being 20+ kids per room. I attribute mask usage to helping that.
Or....the science that shows that kids aren't really spreaders.

There's also that. Masks do jack and *****
yep. Kids get it from adults not other kids.
UhOhNoAgTag
I saw a couple at Lowes today. Woman has on large designer style mask not a Karen haircut, but most likely extensions and fake eyelashes, putting same style masks on kids. Shouts to husband, "honey, put your mask on".

I wondered which TexAgs poster that was.
BigRobSA
UhOhNoAgTag said:

I saw a couple at Lowes today. Woman has on large designer style mask not a Karen haircut, but most likely extensions and fake eyelashes, putting same style masks on kids. Shouts to husband, "honey, put your mask on".

I wondered which TexAgs poster that was.
Extensions and lashes?

Charpie. No doubt.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
cap-n-jack
Ubitag said:

Go watch the movie Midnight Express
Note the guy deciding to walk around the circle the wrong way.
Take off your mask and set yourself free.

Quite possibly the most intense movie I have ever seen. Based on a true story.
45-70Ag
AG
beerad12man said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Because the mandate ends Wednesday.....

What are you confused by?

Well in fairness who is going to enforce it or care now that won't on Wednesday?

But I would say regardless that logic states it will be a gradual thing. Not all at once

Houston police chief announced today if someone doesn't wear a mask in a business that says mask required, that person will be arrested and charged with criminal trespass.
Love Gun
45-70Ag said:

beerad12man said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Because the mandate ends Wednesday.....

What are you confused by?

Well in fairness who is going to enforce it or care now that won't on Wednesday?

But I would say regardless that logic states it will be a gradual thing. Not all at once

Houston police chief announced today if someone doesn't wear a mask in a business that says mask required, that person will be arrested and charged with criminal trespass.

They really are trying to make this a "us vs. then" situation aren't they?
YouBet
AG
austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

There is no evidence of aggregate, reduced transmission of a virus related to donning masks. If you want to wear one, do it. But drop the nonsense about doing it based on evidence of reduced rates of transmission.

It's a beautiful day, and I'm sitting on my back porch enjoying a beer so I'm not going to track down citations (besides reading the cdc guidelines recommended to me by one of the ill informed posters above) but focused studies I've read showed that good masks worn properly reduce the transmission of particles that we know transmit the disease. Given that fact and the absence of conclusive studies either way on population transmission the CONSERVATIVE approach to this problem given the low cost of wearing a mask would be to wear one properly fitted.
The same CDC that said masks don't work? Which CDC on which day should we consider their guidance valid? We already know that masks do not stop this virus. We have reams of real world data from all over the country and world showing mask usage with zero correlation that they do anything. We have scientists who are on record saying the masks can't stop SARS type viruses...didn't stop the last SARS outbreak....but it will stop this one for...reasons?

But, you've already moved my direction anyway by staying there are no conclusive studies so we should just wear a mask...just in case. Again, feel free to wear one. No one is going to yell at you for it. FTR, I wear one into businesses that require it, so I'm not joyfully double birding people with no mask on as I waltz into a business. I won't be wearing one in businesses that don't require it though because they do nothing except restrict my breathing and they are dehumanizing.
austagg99
Maroon Dawn said:

austagg99 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Masks don't work

Ok

None of that makes masks effective and necessary

Just to be clear I have said nothing about the necessity of wearing a mask. This thread is about people apart from coercion who would choose to wear a mask. That is a very important distinction.
Being the most generous to the no mask crowd in conceding efficacy, assuming you are an intelligent person capable of buying appropriate masks and following simple mask wearing guidelines there is no net negative effect at a very low cost. There is however the potential for a non-negligible upside (again I'm being very generous to the no mask crowd). Of course the cost accumulates over time but the current trend seems to imply that In a few months we will reach such a low infection rate that any concerns about mask will be at least 1 if not 2 orders magnitudes lower in risk. Given the low cost of masks this renders any time driven considerations insignificant. It simply baffles me people can attribute any negativity to a person choosing to wear a mask unless they are projecting political motivations on the mask wearer or they are genuinely ignorant of the reasonable factors that weigh into that decision. Ignorance is excusable and why discussion and debate is preferable to force. Willful ignorance is inexcusable.
RangerRick9211
AG
This thread confirms that a meteor should end it all. We don't deserve to exist.

In one corner, knuckleheads that don't understand basic statistics and science.

In the other, dude bros that are 6'+.
UhOhNoAgTag
OK, off to Houston I go
agdaddy04
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

At my daughters school they haven't worn masks in the classroom at all. They have 18-20 kids per classroom. No evidence of spreading.
austagg99
YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

There is no evidence of aggregate, reduced transmission of a virus related to donning masks. If you want to wear one, do it. But drop the nonsense about doing it based on evidence of reduced rates of transmission.

It's a beautiful day, and I'm sitting on my back porch enjoying a beer so I'm not going to track down citations (besides reading the cdc guidelines recommended to me by one of the ill informed posters above) but focused studies I've read showed that good masks worn properly reduce the transmission of particles that we know transmit the disease. Given that fact and the absence of conclusive studies either way on population transmission the CONSERVATIVE approach to this problem given the low cost of wearing a mask would be to wear one properly fitted.
The same CDC that said masks don't work? Which CDC on which day should we consider their guidance valid? We already know that masks do not stop this virus. We have reams of real world data from all over the country and world showing mask usage with zero correlation that they do anything. We have scientists who are on record saying the masks can't stop SARS type viruses...didn't stop the last SARS outbreak....but it will stop this one for...reasons?

But, you've already moved my direction anyway by staying there are no conclusive studies so we should just wear a mask...just in case. Again, feel free to wear one. No one is going to yell at you for it. FTR, I wear one into businesses that require it, so I'm not joyfully double birding people with no mask on as I waltz into a business. I won't be wearing one in businesses that don't require it though because they do nothing except restrict my breathing and they are dehumanizing.

Excuse me if I was not clear my intention was not to concede there is no evidence that shows aggregate transmission is not affected by masks only that it's not necessary for my point. Btw you originally cited the cdc not me.
To frame the problem in a different way. If you were running a business that depended on meeting tight deadlines with crucial people working in confined spaces with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would you pay the people a little extra money to compensate for hassle of wearing a mask given the potential risk aversion masks would give you?
BigRobSA
austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

Excuse me if I was not clear my intention was not to concede there is no evidence that shows aggregate transmission is not affected by masks only that it's not necessary for my point. Btw you originally cited the cdc not me.
To frame the problem in a different way. If you were running a business that depended on meeting tight deadlines with crucial people working in confined spaces with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would you pay the people a little extra money to compensate for the potential risk aversion masks would give you?

No.

Masks do nothing. I'd make sure the bathrooms were clean and had handsoap and clean towels to dry them. The only thing proven to actually help.
austagg99
BigRobSA said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

To frame the problem in a different way. If you were running a business that depended on meeting tight deadlines with crucial people working in confined spaces with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would you pay the people a little extra money to compensate for the potential risk aversion masks would give you?

No.

Masks do nothing. I'd make sure the bathrooms were clean and had handsoap and clean towels to dry them. The only thing proven to actually help.

Cool then I hope I'm competing against you.
austagg99
austagg99 said:

BigRobSA said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

No.

In fairness that's the beauty of the free market
BigRobSA
austagg99 said:

austagg99 said:

BigRobSA said:

austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

No.

In fairness that's the beauty of the free market
Absolutely true.
YouBet
AG
austagg99 said:

YouBet said:

austagg99 said:

Cassius said:

austagg99 said:

To frame the problem in a different way. If you were running a business that depended on meeting tight deadlines with crucial people working in confined spaces with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would you pay the people a little extra money to compensate for hassle of wearing a mask given the potential risk aversion masks would give you?

If actual efficacy of the mask is not necessary to your point, then all we have done here is create a self-fulfilling prophecy that they are part of the cost of doing business just so people won't sh^t themselves in unnecessary fear. No value add; no actual preventative feature....just an actual adult pacifier like Maroon said earlier. All just so people can go through life under a false sense of security.

What a damn ridiculous premise to live under. You are essentially proposing a solution that is looking for a problem. If your employees are working in close quarters with an endemic virus that bypasses pretty much everything but an N95 mask, they are going to catch it regardless of a mask or not. I guess if it makes them feel better and allows you to maintain peak employee productivity until one of them catches the virus (regardless of a mask or not) then feel free to provide them masks or pay them more.

You are wasting your money though because they are going to get it anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.