SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,533 Views | 14188 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by will25u
Phatbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Uh oh, we hit page 404…..

I apologize for the nerdy dad joke.
I can't seem to find that page...
jkag89
Decay
AG
jkag89 said:

I thought it was nice to hear the Artemis shout out in the radio call. We hate the waste and delays from that program but I think most people can agree we're hoping they figure it out and operate safely and successfully.
munch96
AG
Polaris EVA

The go notification happens around 1:22:40 or so...

Phatbob
AG
jkag89 said:

Since one of the arguments for the moon landing being fake was it was impossible to pass the radiation ring alive, this pretty much destroys that one, right?
boulderaggie
AG
I believe the Van Allen radiation belt is much further out.
Ag87H2O
AG
What an incredible achievment by SpaceX. From the Falcon to the Dragon and now to these new space suits and the early stages of EVAs, they are blazing a trail for everyone to follow.

Well done.

YellowPot_97
AG
Phatbob said:

jkag89 said:

Since one of the arguments for the moon landing being fake was it was impossible to pass the radiation ring alive, this pretty much destroys that one, right?

You're assuming facts matter to those brain dead idiots.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Phatbob said:

jkag89 said:

It's all fake. SpaceX is just the latest iteration of NASA's grand conspiracy to keep the lie alive.

/Moon landing deniers
zag213004
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Phatbob said:

jkag89 said:

It's all fake. SpaceX is just the latest iteration of NASA's grand conspiracy to keep the lie alive.

/Moon landing deniers

Earth looking pretty flat to me
jt2hunt
AG
When is starship launching again?
jkag89
jt2hunt said:

Unfortunately due to the "bureaucracy" of our Federal Government, not until November.
TexAgs91
AG
jkag89 said:

jt2hunt said:

Unfortunately do to the "bureaucracy" of our Federal Government, not until November.
I wish it was "just" bureaucracy
jkag89
TexAgs91 said:

jkag89 said:

jt2hunt said:

Unfortunately do to the "bureaucracy" of our Federal Government, not until November.

What did I miss?
jkag89
Ag87H2O said:

What an incredible achievment by SpaceX. From the Falcon to the Dragon and now to these new space suits and the early stages of EVAs, they are blazing a trail for everyone to follow.

Well done.

All because the Russians raised the price on some refurbished missiles. Short sighted greed has cost them lots of cash.
OKCAg2002
AG
Incredible achievement by SpaceX. The spacesuits look a lot less bulky than what NASA uses. Maybe it's just me, but they do look more stiff though. Isaacman's arms, particularly his hands, looked difficult to move in the pressurized suits. It'll be interesting to see how they develop the suits further.
bthotugigem05
AG
They're much more similar to the Gemini suits than what's on the ISS. The consumables for the ISS suits are in the suit itself versus via the umbilical in the SpaceX suits.
TexAgs91
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

They're much more similar to the Gemini suits than what's on the ISS. The consumables for the ISS suits are in the suit itself versus via the umbilical in the SoaceX suits.

As Gene Cernan found out there's a big difference between poking your head out and going out of the capsule and doing activities
Fight! Fight! Fight!
nortex97
AG
Time to re-evaluate the Big Bang? "Tired light."
Quote:

However, in this new study, Dr. Shamir suggests that redshifta phenomenon where light from distant objects shifts toward the red end of the spectrum, indicating they are moving awaymight not necessarily prove that the universe is expanding in the way the Big Bang theory suggests. Instead, evidence could support an alternative: the "Tired Light" theory.

First proposed in 1929 by Swiss astronomer Dr. Fritz Zwicky, the "Tired Light" theory offers a different explanation for the redshift observed in light from distant galaxies.

According to this theory, as light travels through space, it loses energy over vast distances due to interactions with particles or fields, causing it to "tire" and shift to longer wavelengths, such as red.
This process would give the appearance of an expanding universe without requiring an actual outward movement of galaxies from a central point, as proposed by the Big Bang theory.

The "Tired Light" theory was initially sidelined by the scientific community in favor of the Big Bang theory, primarily because it could not fully account for certain observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and surface brightness of galaxies evolving with time.

However, recent observations and analyses, like those presented in this new study, could prompt a re-evaluation of Dr. Zwicky's hypothesis.

In the newly published paper, Dr. Shamir argues that recent observational data challenges the standard interpretation of redshift as evidence of universal expansion. The study suggests that the tired light model might better explain certain cosmological phenomena, particularly how light behaves over enormous cosmic distances.

The study focuses on discrepancies between observed data and predictions made by the Big Bang model, including the rate of expansion inferred from the redshift data. Dr. Shamir points out that while the Big Bang theory predicts a uniform expansion rate, the observational data shows a more complex picture that could be interpreted through the tired light framework.

Moreover, the study introduces a series of calculations and simulations to demonstrate how the tired light model might align with current data on the universe's structure and behavior. It suggests that the tired light model could potentially explain phenomena like the Hubble constant's inconsistencies a number that represents the universe's rate of expansion which has been a subject of intense debate in the scientific community.
I'm not smart enough to have an opinion but it does seem like some of the stuff from Hubble/Webb are challenging basic fundamentals about how some of these oldest galaxies/black holes got…to where they are/were. I also enjoy a good nerd fight.
flakrat
AG
jkag89 said:

TexAgs91 said:

jkag89 said:

jt2hunt said:

What did I miss?

This reeks of politics

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/spacex-s-next-starship-flight-delayed-by-months/ar-AA1qudHP?ocid=BingNewsSerp

SpaceX is deeply upset about the development, criticizing the FAA in a lengthy blog post on Tuesday for the time that it's taking to grant a license.

"We recently received a launch license date estimate of late November from the FAA," SpaceX said in the post. "This is a more than two-month delay to the previously communicated date of mid-September. This delay was not based on a new safety concern, but instead driven by superfluous environmental analysis."
jkag89
I was wondering if I had missed the news of some sort of technological reason for the delay but we are on the same page. That is why I placed bureaucracy in quotes in my post.
Who?mikejones!
Of course space x is correct. Environmental laws have forever been used as a tool of big govt spite.

Ag87H2O
AG
Supporting Trump comes with a price. It's total BS, but predictable given the current political climate.
Decay
AG
nortex97 said:

Time to re-evaluate the Big Bang? "Tired light."
Quote:

However, in this new study, Dr. Shamir suggests that redshifta phenomenon where light from distant objects shifts toward the red end of the spectrum, indicating they are moving awaymight not necessarily prove that the universe is expanding in the way the Big Bang theory suggests. Instead, evidence could support an alternative: the "Tired Light" theory.

First proposed in 1929 by Swiss astronomer Dr. Fritz Zwicky, the "Tired Light" theory offers a different explanation for the redshift observed in light from distant galaxies.

According to this theory, as light travels through space, it loses energy over vast distances due to interactions with particles or fields, causing it to "tire" and shift to longer wavelengths, such as red.
This process would give the appearance of an expanding universe without requiring an actual outward movement of galaxies from a central point, as proposed by the Big Bang theory.

The "Tired Light" theory was initially sidelined by the scientific community in favor of the Big Bang theory, primarily because it could not fully account for certain observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and surface brightness of galaxies evolving with time.

However, recent observations and analyses, like those presented in this new study, could prompt a re-evaluation of Dr. Zwicky's hypothesis.

In the newly published paper, Dr. Shamir argues that recent observational data challenges the standard interpretation of redshift as evidence of universal expansion. The study suggests that the tired light model might better explain certain cosmological phenomena, particularly how light behaves over enormous cosmic distances.

The study focuses on discrepancies between observed data and predictions made by the Big Bang model, including the rate of expansion inferred from the redshift data. Dr. Shamir points out that while the Big Bang theory predicts a uniform expansion rate, the observational data shows a more complex picture that could be interpreted through the tired light framework.

Moreover, the study introduces a series of calculations and simulations to demonstrate how the tired light model might align with current data on the universe's structure and behavior. It suggests that the tired light model could potentially explain phenomena like the Hubble constant's inconsistencies a number that represents the universe's rate of expansion which has been a subject of intense debate in the scientific community.
I'm not smart enough to have an opinion but it does seem like some of the stuff from Hubble/Webb are challenging basic fundamentals about how some of these oldest galaxies/black holes got…to where they are/were. I also enjoy a good nerd fight.

This is a cool argument because it scratches an itch I've always had, namely that when you first start diving into the nuts and bolts of cosmology, you hit contradictory data. Nothing wild like the earth is flat but just some of the big numbers that would help explain the universe, when measured with different instruments, sometimes don't give the same answer. And it's not just a small measurement discrepancy, the two values would be significantly separated even taking into account error bars and stuff like that.

It's fascinating stuff and has always begged the question that our assumptions are still very much assumptions and how else could we model things that might also fit the data? You have to realize most of our knowledge of the universe is either incredibly local, or incredibly derived. So a shakeup like this would swing the trajectory of how we interpret large distances.
Kenneth_2003
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

They're much more similar to the Gemini suits than what's on the ISS. The consumables for the ISS suits are in the suit itself versus via the umbilical in the SpaceX suits.
Future versions I'm sure will incorporate the PLSS (Portable Life Support System)
Kenneth_2003
AG
flakrat said:

jkag89 said:

TexAgs91 said:

jkag89 said:

jt2hunt said:

What did I miss?

This reeks of politics

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/spacex-s-next-starship-flight-delayed-by-months/ar-AA1qudHP?ocid=BingNewsSerp

SpaceX is deeply upset about the development, criticizing the FAA in a lengthy blog post on Tuesday for the time that it's taking to grant a license.

"We recently received a launch license date estimate of late November from the FAA," SpaceX said in the post. "This is a more than two-month delay to the previously communicated date of mid-September. This delay was not based on a new safety concern, but instead driven by superfluous environmental analysis."

Ellie reads the full response by SpaceX. FFS they're squabbling over where the hot staging ring will land! Everyone else plunks entire stages into the water to be forever discarded and a 3 letter agency is crying that the hot staging ring could maybe hit a turtle.
Ag In Ok
AG
I've been working a thought experiment for a while now as to what would happen if the Red Shift was undermined. Very interesting read by the way. So this throws one of the most sacred constants, the speed of light, into disarray. No longer a constant but now a maximum. I recall some experiments several years ago where they were able to slow the speed of light down, repeatedly.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Interesting read. Yes, there are studies/theories out there that say the speed of light is not constant. Constants are basically ways to make the math work. Constants like gravity, speed of light, etc. may be ok for our little micro universes, but I believe the only constant is chaos....ie, variability.

I've always thought the Big Bang was too "convenient". We'll probably get to a point that we say....wow, we were way off on that theory. Who knows...
bmks270
AG
If the speed of light has variance throughout the universe, how would this be tested and demonstrated?

There is just some things I don't think we will ever be able to know or measure as humans.

Unless it leads to some gravity / mass defying break through, observing too much beyond our own galaxy seems pointless given we can't yet leave earth.
TexAgs91
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

Interesting read. Yes, there are studies/theories out there that say the speed of light is not constant. Constants are basically ways to make the math work. Constants like gravity, speed of light, etc. may be ok for our little micro universes, but I believe the only constant is chaos....ie, variability.

I've always thought the Big Bang was too "convenient". We'll probably get to a point that we say....wow, we were way off on that theory. Who knows...
The Big Bang theory has been passing tests for a very long time.

If the speed of light isn't constant, that would be a big blow to E=mc^2, which also has passed every test for the last 100 years.

Competing theories would need significant evidence to topple the big bang and a constant speed of light. I know there's discrepancies they're seeing with JWST, but I suspect it can be resolved with more data and observations.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
OnlyForNow
AG
NMFS is a 4 letter agency.
Decay
AG
bmks270 said:

If the speed of light has variance throughout the universe, how would this be tested and demonstrated?

There is just some things I don't think we will ever be able to know or measure as humans.

Unless it leads to some gravity / mass defying break through, observing too much beyond our own galaxy seems pointless given we can't yet leave earth.
I think part of the fun is that some consequences would be really hard to test. Veritasium did a video about how we don't really know if the speed of light is constant - we just know it's consistent.

The idea is that since physics (and information) is kind of based on the speed of light as a limiter, we have no way to externally measure it. So until we have some truly outside of the box solutions, its impossible to measure the speed of light on its own.
nortex97
AG
bmks270 said:

I get that it's a constant that has proven itself repeatedly for a hundred years (not responding to you specifically on this), but if it decays and we have to measure stuff we couldn't see/detect at all 20 years ago, and only now can, with more detail on dark energy/cosmic background etc., it seems like something has to give to my little mind.

I guess more simplistically, the delta's as between directional rotation red shifts shouldn't depend on the rotational direction of the earth;
Quote:

"The results showed that galaxies that rotate in the opposite direction relative to the Milky Way have lower redshift compared to galaxies that rotate in the same direction relative to the Milky Way," Shamir said. "That difference reflects the motion of the Earth as it rotates with the Milky Way. But the results also showed that the difference in the redshift increased when the galaxies were more distant from Earth.

"Because the rotational velocity of the Earth relative to the galaxies is constant, the reason for the difference can be the distance of the galaxies from Earth. That shows that the redshift of galaxies changes with the distance, which is what Zwicky predicted in his Tired Light theory."
Astrophysicists (not one, of course), always look for something they can measure that can be problematic to a formula that is accepted, and this one is fun. Whatever, don't ask me to explain this kinda table.
TexAgs91
AG
If the speed of light has changed, that would throw many other things into chaos. For example the fine structure constant

Change the speed of light and that changes the strength of electromagnetic force. Atoms don't work anymore.
Tailgate88
AG
TexAgs91 said:

If the speed of light has changed, that would throw many other things into chaos. For example the fine structure constant

Change the speed of light and that changes the strength of electromagnetic force. Atoms don't work anymore.

Just checked and they are all working fine over here.
First Page
Page 405 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.