SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,709 Views | 14188 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by will25u
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64
AG
That's a hard hit. Oof.
YellowPot_97
AG
NASAg03 said:

These are programs that are part of Artemis under NASA CLPS (commercial lunar payloads services).

They are gateway services that will help develop and plan the infrastructure necessary for a human presence on the moon.

This includes finding water, testing habitat building methods, scientific studies, lunar terrain vehicles, communications methods, location / positioning technologies, power generation tech, and other things.

Intuitive Machines is doing all those things. For IM-2 and IM-3, we are working on a communication systems with orbiting comms satellites that will help relay signals. Right now, comms is very dependent on positioning of the moon and earth, and antenna orientation. This results in a lot of mission constraints and drives con-ops significantly. It also makes navigation hard since there isn't any GPS on the moon, and a very weak magnetic field.

Interesting. Thanks.
GCRanger
AG
Saw what I believe was star links deploying across the sky in San Antonio last night while out trick or treating. Long trail of the dots going across sky in the west from a NW to SE orientation.

Kunkle for Congress TX-34
If they were equally spaced, it was probably just the array orbiting in the horizon light.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
GCRanger
AG
They were pretty tightly packed still with the leading end to the left spaced out a bit more. Wasn't able to get a picture.

It looked like this but maybe more bunched on the right half.
https://gray-kplc-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/dio-lPJum5B2EXzAEJCETvMOoIE=/980x0/smart/filters:quality(85)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/7VV4MOJ4QZBBJGCIIXCM52PV2M.jpg
nortex97
AG

Above my pay grade/intellect, but very well done/good entertaining video. All of the scales involved, and theories as well are tremendously humbling.
Tailgate88
AG
GCRanger said:

Saw what I believe was star links deploying across the sky in San Antonio last night while out trick or treating. Long trail of the dots going across sky in the west from a NW to SE orientation.

You can see them tomorrow morning again if you want to get up early!

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/
TexAgs91
AG
nortex97 said:

Above my pay grade/intellect, but very well done/good entertaining video. All of the scales involved, and theories as well are tremendously humbling.
Interesting video. Thanks. One of the big questions about the universe is why it seems more or less the same in all directions, because the physics at one end of the universe wouldn't be able to affect the physics on the other end. Inflation theory explains that the clumpiness of the quantum fields in the instant of the big bang expanded faster than the speed of light (and space is allowed to do this). i.e. a subatomic quantum fluctuation at the beginning of time, could expand into a galaxy billions of years later, or a cluster of galaxies. So that explains the more-or-less uniform characteristics of the WMAP image from when the universe is 380,000 years old

The assumption is that just as the climpiness from inflation expanded into the WMAP image, the universe from the WMAP image continued to expand to what we see "now". But the clumpiness doesn't match, which brings us to the video.

Sounds like one of the major focuses of cosmology is to figure out those discrepancies, because it would hint towards laws of physics that we don't know about, and therefore were not simulated in the massive simulation they discussed.
will25u
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe I'm missing something. They awarded 11 launches to ULA and aren't ULA basically out of launch vehicles (or those already committed) and are praying Centaur and BE-4's aren't vaporware?
will25u

Malachi Constant said:

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Centaur more or less exists per my recollection. It's Vulcan (first stage) that is unproven. I believe they did the first static fire of a Vulcan with BE-4s a few months ago.

I could look this up but I'm supposed to be giving the kiddo a bath…
will25u
TexAgs91
AG

Get out of the way FAA
Ag_of_08
AG
Centaur has been flying for decades and is a well known and p4oven upperstage.

Now ACES is a different story, but the BE-4 is the big clog in the whole system.
plain_o_llama
Malachi Constant said:

Any chance there is some kind of airbag system deploying on impact? Looks a little like an explosion on impact.
will25u
PJYoung
AG
plain_o_llama said:

Malachi Constant said:

Any chance there is some kind of airbag system deploying on impact? Looks a little like an explosion on impact.
No airbag but there is a system in place to slow the capsule at the last second and cushion the landing.

nortex97
AG
Can't let SpaceX go too fast or SLS will look even worse….

OnlyForNow
AG
Ehh
The Kraken
AG
Lost another Apollo astronaut. Ken Mattingly passed away on Oct 31, NASA has announced. Command Module Pilot for Apollo 16, later commanded 2 shuttle missions (STS 4 and 51C). Famously dropped from the Apollo 13 mission 3 days prior to launch for being in contact with German measles.

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-administrator-remembers-apollo-astronaut-thomas-k-mattingly-ii/
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
DecadePlan
AG
Oh man. The whole Apollo generation is going on to see what's on the other side. Fair skies and following seas Admiral!
will25u
Here

The Kraken said:

Lost another Apollo astronaut. Ken Mattingly passed away on Oct 31, NASA has announced. Command Module Pilot for Apollo 16, later commanded 2 shuttle missions (STS 4 and 51C). Famously dropped from the Apollo 13 mission 3 days prior to launch for being in contact with German measles.

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-administrator-remembers-apollo-astronaut-thomas-k-mattingly-ii/
fullback44
AG
will25u said:

My mom gets her Starlink tomorrow … the house is out in the country .. my brothers can't wait to have real internet out there at the ranch … why chase cows and tend the fields when you can surf Texags !
PJYoung
AG
fullback44 said:

will25u said:

My mom gets her Starlink tomorrow … the house is out in the country .. my brothers can't wait to have real internet out there at the ranch … why chase cows and tend the fields when you can surf Texags !
Starlink is changing the world.
nortex97
AG

Presumably waiting on some guy on PTO at FWS to get back and check his email.
will25u
will25u
From the horses mouth!

Kenneth_2003
AG
fullback44 said:

will25u said:

Starlink has been as big of a game changer in oil field operations as the original arrival of the Internet. Reliable high speed high bandwidth data in the middle of nowhere is nothing short of revolutionary!
TexAgs91
AG
nortex97 said:

Presumably waiting on some guy on PTO at FWS to get back and check his email.
So it's scheduled for mid-november... until it's not
will25u
It's on, it looks like!

Decay
AG
This time, space!!
will25u
hunter2012
AG
will25u said:

It's on, it looks like!

First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.