SpaceX and other space news updates

2,553,364 Views | 22467 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by PJYoung
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be back to Texas in time to enjoy a PSL with the boys.
.
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hph6203 said:

Can't tell you how many times I've ordered something and it ended up in Georgia instead of Texas. Total pain in the ass.

It's none. None times.
Try being from Atlanta TX.
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So many packages delivered to Missouri by mistake. I feel for the people of Atlanta, TX.
.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The left cannot kill the Spirit of Charlie Kirk.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The left cannot kill the Spirit of Charlie Kirk.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:



Boudreaux and Thibadeaux jokes are among my all time favorites.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The left cannot kill the Spirit of Charlie Kirk.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txags92 said:

techno-ag said:



Boudreaux and Thibadeaux jokes are among my all time favorites.


And cue the Gump jokes, too.

The left cannot kill the Spirit of Charlie Kirk.
rednecked
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wasn't going to do it but I guess I'll throw Greeley, CO into the ring for stupid street naming conventions. I'm throwing the whole town in though.

Highway 85 runs N/S through the east side of town. all north/south roads west of 85 are numbered avenues except 1st avenue which is east of 85. Otherwise it's 2nd ave, 3rd ave etc moving east to west.

All east/west road are numbered streets in order from north to south. 2nd street, 3rd street etc. But there is no 1st street. the next street north of 2nd street is A street. Those go up alphabetically as you move north.

I almost forgot about this part. East of 85 the streets have the added modifier of east. So 16th street becomes E 16th street.

a great example of this stupidity is University of Northern Colorado. It is bounded on the north and south by 20th st and 25th street respectively. And bounded east and west by 11th ave and 17th respectively.
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nortex97 said:

PJYoung said:

Booster 21 scrubbed its static fire yesterday. I assume they will try again today.

Window opens at 6:30 am CST.


Tomorrow
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Nice move. Would like to see it for residents of Grimes and Brazos Counties too.
The left cannot kill the Spirit of Charlie Kirk.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:



Nice move. Would like to see it for residents of Grimes and Brazos Counties too.


I'll take 6 months or a year of half price service.
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lunar eclipse almost full!
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Static Fire test today - should be around 1pm or so.

PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Successful!
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FH went vertical on the pad this am.

A lot of goings-on this week.
will25u
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
will25u said:




I understand that SpaceX will phase out FH, and I completely understand the reasoning behind it. I know Elon has said the engineering challenges of bolting 3 Falcon cores together was far more complex than they anticipated and would have, in hindsight, been better to accelerate Starship.

That said...

FH is just a VERY good looking rocket. Better than F9 in my opinion. Starship is freaking amazing. But FH is going to be missed.
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zobel said:

Quite a bit harder, imo. Or hard in a different way. Reliability is extremely hard on you, statistically, and validation takes time. There's a lot of deep experience for basis of design at the oems for what works/doesnt, materials, etc. I doubt spacex wants to do it, but I'm sure they will if they have to.

Welp....


"SpaceX and Tesla are each building 100GW/year of solar production capacity as fast as possible, but natural gas will still be needed to supplement and bootstrap solar for several years.

The limiting factor for nat gas turbine production is casting the blades & vanes. By doing in-house casting at SpaceX, we can accelerate nat gas turbines coming online by up to 18 months, which is a profound game-changer."
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They have had positions posted for people in Bastrop for their new blades and vanes foundry for months. But, to be fair, blades and vanes aren't the same as making a gas turbine. It isn't clear to me exactly how that works either. You go to GE (or whoever) and say - give me your tech data package and I make my own parts? Somehow I don't think that's gonna work. It does look to me like they are inching toward their own GT. But man, that's a tough row to hoe. Easier to buy IPโ€ฆ

I have thought that would be the easy way. Buy a validated older design. Or you go back in tech a few generations, kind of analogous to what they did with Merlin. That was an old concept, made great. Do 70s era gas turbines really, really well. Hell GE 7E is still their best selling engine and that was designed in the 70s (tho continuously updated since).
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe SpaceX applies the rapid scaling to blade and vane production in exchange for Boom shipping them a ton of Superpower units?
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boom doesn't have a validated design. Haven't even done first fire. They're testing their "sprint core" first which is the high pressure spool of their engine. Still have to finish design and manufacture of their LP spool. And power turbine, if they want to keep the design as consistent with flight version as possible. They're probably years away from a stable design. I'd bet SpaceX could easily beat them - very different goals.
bmks270
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Elon Musk bought a turbine company that does aero-derivative turbines I believe.

They might buy a bunch of used aero-engines, and replace the old blades that are at end of life with new ones.

They've got the talent and infrastructure to make gas turbines, they make very advanced turbo pumps and combustors for their rocket engines.

But the gas turbines OEMs and suppliers have many decades of lessons learned SpaceX lacks. They'll have to hire engineers from the aero and industrial gas turbine manufacturers and supplier base.

And getting casting to high yield rates takes many iterations. It's a long road.


There are about half dozen other gas turbine start ups that appeared in the last year, venture backed, all promising the same thing - affordable modular turbines.

And at least two aero-engine start ups have pivoted to gas turbines for power generation, Boom and Astro Mechanica. They're going to all be competing against each other for hiring talent and finding suppliers for high tolerance machining, balancing, coatings, etc.

A bunch of these start up turbine companies aren't going to survive, but they're all making big promises right now and getting VCs lined up to fund them.
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's mostly a joke. I'm aware Boom is a long way out. But I'm not aware of anyone else that has as much to gain from giving SpaceX the ability to dig into their IP to see how they could accelerate implementation.

And I'm not sure their goals are that far apart. Boom wants to sell power modules to get to supersonic flight. SpaceX wants power modules to bridge them to full solar. I doubt SpaceX is hyperfocused on anything aside from speed/efficacy of the bridge. Boom just needs a product.
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Meanwhile, vacuum induction melter (main equipment in a foundry) lead times are 17-24 months and steadily growing. Likewise power transformers.
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah but boom wants a flight engine, which doesn't look much like an industrial engine. And they want a their industrialized engine to be as identical as possible to the flight variant, cuz the whole point is to get validation time.

Spacex wants power, and big - so probably more like a heavy industrial - guessing.

And boom isn't designing their engine, FTT is.
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Transformer lead time was a problem when I started in the power industry 9 years ago. That seems like a prime spot for a hardware startup.
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think this is the outfit he bought to make turbines.

Not real sure.

Elon focused on this science launch which is unusual. I think the window opens around 6:30am CST.

Launch page;
https://www.spacex.com/launches/roman
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Digging a little more, SpaceX, not elon personally.
New World Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else wake up early to watch the Nancy Grace Roman telescope launch on a Falcon Heavy? Just over 3 minutes away.
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go for launch!
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where's the second booster? Did they set the camera up on the wrong pad?

But nominal orbit!
New World Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kenneth_2003 said:

Where's the second booster? Did they set the camera up on the wrong pad?

But nominal orbit!


I was scratching my head, too. Oops.
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of all the things to screw up on this one that's probably the one I'm ok with. For about 3 seconds I thought the delay was going to show a lawn dart performance though.
First Page Last Page
Page 630 of 642 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.