SpaceX and other space news updates

1,203,421 Views | 14102 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TexAgs91
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep it's happening
TexAgs91
AG
PJYoung said:

double aught said:

Finally. First launch was six months ago. If this one goes well, hopefully the turn around is quicker next time.

If it goes well the only thing stopping the next launch will be spaceX. I would expect something like a 2 month turnaround at most
Somewhere I saw SpaceX got a license from the FCC for IFT-3 in February to allow them to use Starlink for communications.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
https://explore.dot.gov/t/FAA/views/CommercialSpaceTransportation/LaunchLicenses

Launch License issued!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Niiiice. Here we go!
Bert315
AG
double aught
AG
Heads up, Hawaii!
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Sorry guys. Fake news. This was issued for IFT1 and still needs to be amended for this flight test. No license just yet but soon.
will25u
jkag89
PJYoung
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

Sorry guys. Fake news. This was issued for IFT1 and still needs to be amended for this flight test. No license just yet but soon.
Close enough.

It's happening.
will25u
For those going.

bthotugigem05
AG
Cars started lining up at 3am for the first launch at Isla Blanca.

They're not going to launch at the beginning of the window, they'll likely launch in full daylight, around 8-8:30am. There's a ton of parking there and it's right along the beach, they got a surprising amount of cars in really quickly in April.

Isla Blanca is such a great place for it, however you get there. It's 5 miles away from the launch pad, which is much closer than most of the public can get for any launches out at Cape Canaveral. Heck, it's where SpaceX employees not involved in launch activities will be watching from.

That's a winner of a spot if you can't get a room at Margaritaville facing south.
TexAgs91
AG
Last time I got a room at Gulf View II. They have good prices and I think there's still rooms available. From there it's less than a mile walk to Isla Blanca park, so you won't have to worry about traffic while entering the park. Get to the park about 3 hours before launch for a good spot.
nortex97
AG

Funny we even had some trolls here worried about 'the environmental damage' the water deluge system would cause.
Kenneth_2003
AG
nortex97 said:

Funny we even had some trolls here worried about 'the environmental damage' the water deluge system would cause.
As one of the so called "trolls" i strongly resent that comment. I did ASK how much water would be expected to runoff from the launch tower during a launch and if it could pose a problem if/when SpaceX moved beyond one launch a month to a commercial multiple launches per day cadence; and if that was the reason for the FWS review. 20 some pages or so later and this is the FIRST time I've seen the answer that it's less than the runoff from a large rainfall.

Seems like a low bar for trolling.
dtkprowler
AG

nm
Mathguy64
AG
I love the conclusion that they make.

"May affect, likely to adverse affect"

You can't adversely affect unless you first affect. Idiots.
nortex97
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

nortex97 said:

As one of the so called "trolls" i strongly resent that comment. I did ASK how much water would be expected to runoff from the launch tower during a launch and if it could pose a problem if/when SpaceX moved beyond one launch a month to a commercial multiple launches per day cadence; and if that was the reason for the FWS review. 20 some pages or so later and this is the FIRST time I've seen the answer that it's less than the runoff from a large rainfall.

Sure thing, boss. If I were capable of being offended by silly comments on the internet I would be highly offended and resentful.

The amount of water used/vaporized/expected to run off from the site has not been a mystery to people paying attention. The deluge system may operate up to 30 times a year. BC is nothing but a proving ground, not a regular (multiple times per day) commercial operation orbital launch site for the future.

High frequency launches will start in Florida, then expand to sea-based operations, if/as the 'ground support equipment' and vehicles themselves mature. Relax, man. The plovers and squirrels will be ok.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
nortex97 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

nortex97 said:

Sure thing, boss. If I were capable of being offended by silly comments on the internet I would be highly offended and resentful.

The amount of water used/vaporized/expected to run off from the site has not been a mystery to people paying attention. The deluge system may operate up to 30 times a year. BC is nothing but a proving ground, not a regular (multiple times per day) commercial operation orbital launch site for the future.

High frequency launches will start in Florida, then expand to sea-based operations, if/as the 'ground support equipment' and vehicles themselves mature. Relax, man. The plovers and squirrels will be ok.
SpaceX sold their drilling rig platforms. I thought Elon said they were not pursuing this at this time?
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
nortex97
AG
They did sell those two. They were bought at scrap metal prices and then they started some preliminary work on them, but I think the underlying theory prevalent right now is they will need a bespoke/custom designed 'rig' produced somewhat at scale in conjunction with the 'fueling' infrastructure to make it work, ultimately.

Starting with a 'smallish' ad hoc rig basically wound up not working out.

Caveat; I could be wrong, and have no 'inside' sources.
lb3
AG
nortex97 said:

High frequency launches will start in Florida, then expand to sea-based operations, if/as the 'ground support equipment' and vehicles themselves mature.
rocketscience
AG
License secured, excitement guaranteed.

ReutersFAA approves license for second launch of SpaceX Starship Super Heavy40 mins ago
TexAgs91
AG
rocketscience said:

License secured, excitement guaranteed.

ReutersFAA approves license for second launch of SpaceX Starship Super Heavy40 mins ago

LET'S GOOOOO!!!!!!

OKCAg2002
AG
Let's go!
will25u
Officially official! Early launch Friday.

YellowPot_97
TexAgs91
AG
I love the audio on this from the first flight
Ag with kids
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Cars started lining up at 3am for the first launch at Isla Blanca.

They're not going to launch at the beginning of the window, they'll likely launch in full daylight, around 8-8:30am. There's a ton of parking there and it's right along the beach, they got a surprising amount of cars in really quickly in April.

Isla Blanca is such a great place for it, however you get there. It's 5 miles away from the launch pad, which is much closer than most of the public can get for any launches out at Cape Canaveral. Heck, it's where SpaceX employees not involved in launch activities will be watching from.

That's a winner of a spot if you can't get a room at Margaritaville facing south.
We're heading there over Christmas. Would be nice if they fired one off while we're there.
fullback44
AG
Is there a place or link where this 2nd test flight can be watched live ?
Not a Bot
AG
fullback44 said:

Is there a place or link where this 2nd test flight can be watched live ?

It will be everywhere. SpaceX will stream it on YouTube and X. Several independent channels will be streaming it as well. NSF and Everyday Astronaut are great channels for coverage.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Are they still streaming on YouTube? I thought I heard that SpaceX is only streaming on X now
RED AG 98
AG
https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-2
PJYoung
AG
I would absolutely expect them to attempt to launch near the start of the window. There's plenty of daylight right now at 7.
TexAgs91
AG
Here is some asteroid impact shield research going on at Rellis

aTm2004
AG
So…no launch this morning?
First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 403

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.