Major explosion in Beirut

93,460 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by C@LAg
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rally-cap said:

This video appears to show the fire at the earliest stage I've seen -
It did NOT take long.
Looks like it had been burning for at least a little while. It also confirms that the first explosion did not spark the fire.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
scottimus
AG
Iranian/Hezbolla Warheads...
12th Man Stan Account
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So now, we're looking at a humanitarian crisis, in mass starvation. Not only is the grain gone, the infrastructure for importing more is gone.
It's being reported that 85% of the entire country's grain was destroyed:

Close-up pictures of the grain elevators:
cone
AG
i mean, how would you know a warhead cooks off like artillery shells?
scottimus
AG
The lady I posted said warheads, but I think your description is more accurate. Like the small artillery they shoot into Israel routinely. I could imagine them cooking off like black cats...
Ag_07
AG
OneAnd19More said:

Close-up pictures of the grain elevators:

Man the photo showing all those destroyed skyscrapers in the background is harrowing.
Aggie71013
AG
This leads me to the question, should I not store lawn fertilizer in my garage...
Aust Ag
AG
rally-cap said:

Seeing that water vaporize is insane -

How was that guy able to get up and run after that??
lunchbox
rally-cap said:

Shocked this person survived....and it looks like the shoes was blown off of them. I am assuming they were wearing some in an industrial area...
JohnnyStatueNow
AG
Continuing with a conspiracy theory...were the grain silos the actual target? Knocking out 85% of the country's grain would be damaging. Wouldn't kill that many people initially, but the long term effect could be devastating.
Olin's Illegitimate Son That He Doesn't Know About
Spotted Ag
AG
rally-cap said:

Amazing that any of those people survived.
Spotted Ag
AG
Aggie71013 said:

This leads me to the question, should I not store lawn fertilizer in my garage...
Naw, it should be fine right next to the lawnmower fuel.
Mathguy64
AG
That grain elevator absorbed a fair amount of the energy in that direction.
FTAG 2000
AG
cone said:

yikes

alright there's something fishy about the whole fireworks thing. i thought it was cooking off and they couldn't control it.
Those weren't fireworks, they were small arms rounds.
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggie71013 said:

The chances that you have ammonium nitrate are almost zero, unless you bought it 40 years ago.
Maybe Next Year
AG
WTI ticked up with concerns...
cone
AG
eh

the only thing that doesn't add up to me is why fireworks would be stored there, in a warehouse filled to the brim with potential explosive material

but we're looking at this from a western safety perspective

just doing some dumb math

density of the NH4NO3 is 1720 kg/m3

2750 tonnes = 2750000 kg

volume = 1600 m3

assume a void fraction of like 0.25

so that's like 2150 m3

i bet it's stacked in bags probably 1.5 meters high

that means a 1430 m2 of space

assume a 3 x 1 warehouse plot

that means 22 m by 60 m warehouse area... so that's like the only thing that would largely fit in that warehouse (unless i'm crazy)
dBoy99
AG
rally-cap said:

That guy is what, within 500 yds maybe? He didn't die. I think the "the overpressure likely killed them instantly" theory is not 100% likely...

Some of you are pathetic
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Definitely corn. And I'd bet other photos would show the brown spill to be wheat.
Tanya 93
Spotted Ag said:

rally-cap said:

I was wondering how he didn't drop the phone
richardag
MassAggie97 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I mean it's pretty irresponsible for a President to make that statement unless there is something backing it up. It's just going to give rise to conspiracy theories in an especially volatile part of the world if it's not accurate.

Do y'all ever stop?

Hilarious because the GOP lost their minds when it turned out Bengazi was not what the WH said it was at first.
If you cannot see the difference between this and Benghazi I feel sorry for you.
cone
AG
humans are a lot squishier and easier to blow off their feet than you'd expect

good thing not being rigid bodies

that said, we don't react well to other rigid things flying in the air or showering upon us on the ground
Ag_07
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Spotted Ag said:

rally-cap said:

I was wondering how he didn't drop the phone

Or freak the F out and starting screaming and yelling.

I'd be in all kinds of disarray
Ellis Wyatt
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Well here's an idea and I'm just spit ballin here but.....

Maybe don't store your critical food supply right next to 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate.
That's not how Hezbollah works.
MAROON
AG
so basically we witnessed a replay of the Texas City 1947 disaster.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
SLAM
Cromagnum said:

scottimus said:

Dang, this lady is saying it was an Iranian/Hez rocket depot. She says 3 explosions. First was warheads from Iran (not fireworks), 2nd was burning of the warheads (deflagration), and third was the rocket fuel itself....

Sounds like she is drinking the DEW

All of that sounds very tinfoil. Way simpler explanation: Ammonium nitrate when improperly stored in humid conditions can coalesce into large blocks and is a shock explosive. If something caught fire near it, especially if something detonates near it, it will explosively decompose to nitrogen (invisible) and nitrous oxide (brown smoke).

It sounds tinfoil because it is. That's Thomas Wictor's new account, he's widely known to be a crazy conspiracy theorist.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Exactly. High pressure isn't a death sentence. That's one of the closest and unabated angles I've seen yet and the guy clearly survives the initial effects. Being in the open, and away from projectiles/collapsing buildings/objects to be thrown into is what saves him. From the CDC:

MAROON
AG
dp
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
TexasAggie_02
AG
dBoy99 said:

rally-cap said:

That guy is what, within 500 yds maybe? He didn't die. I think the "the overpressure likely killed them instantly" theory is not 100% likely...

Yep. Also, there is nothing but water between them and the explosion, so very little debris from their angle

aggiehawg
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

dBoy99 said:

rally-cap said:

Yep. Also, there is nothing but water between them and the explosion, so very little debris from their angle

From the after picture, it would appear a ship like the one at dock above, was lifted up and deposited on shore by the concussive force in the water.
lunchbox
The person filming was also towards the back and you can tell they were trending behind that concrete barrier. That probably took a lot of the blast off of them. The people closer to the water at the beginning of the video took the brunt.
dBoy99
AG
Within 50yds, not too bad of an estimate...

Some of you are pathetic
lunchbox
Consider the source but it might be why they were quick to know how many tons, etc.

Quote:

Rhosus transported 2,750 tonnes of saltpeter from Batumi to Mozambique. In September 2013, it made an unscheduled stop in Beirut due to a malfunction on board.

After checking the ship, the crew was forbidden to take it out of the port. The saltpeter confiscated from the vessel was stored in a warehouse at the 12th berth of the port of Beirut, it was supposed to be disposed of. Due to the dangerous cargo remaining on the vessel, the Lebanese authorities left four sailors on board to wait for the replacement crew.

The owner of this vessel was a businessman living in Cyprus, a native of Khabarovsk Igor Grechushkin, according to sailors who worked for Rhosus. In their words , the owner said that went bankrupt, and "actually threw the ship." The lenders' lawyers received three arrest warrants for Rhosus, which flew under the Moldovan flag.
aggiehawg
AG
Saltpeter?
lunchbox
aggiehawg said:

Saltpeter?
I used google translate on the Russian article.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.