Shift away from sports

10,095 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Artorias
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe Back Pocket should find out who Aggie1944 was before he pops off to his kid.
YouBet
AG
A&Ms freshman class had 21k admitted last year.

That is insane. That is bigger than most university systems in the country by itself.
titan
S

Ah, correction edit. There was another pocket post and that is the one meant.

The rest remains true about Aggie1944.--- he was in OkAg44's level.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Ag87H2O
AG
AnScAggie said:

Maybe Back Pocket should find out who Aggie1944 was before he pops off to his kid.
Yep, mouthing off to the progeny of a legend that knew a thing or two about shooting might not be such a bright idea.
FriscoKid
AG
Sports are a luxury item. Wear your goggles..
AnScAggie
AG
titan said:

OP is Aggie1944's? Wow. So impressive --- he was in OkAg44's level.

v
AnScAggie
AG
Ag87H2O said:

AnScAggie said:

Yep, mouthing off to the progeny of a legend that knew a thing or two about shooting might not be such a bright idea.

Bingo!
itsyourboypookie
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

TAMU doesn't give a flying F.

Nor should they.

You wanna guess how many kids over the last decade would have loved for a spot on the A&M campus instead of a stint at Blinn + re-apply?

Truth is, for every parent who thinks they are standing tall by taking their kid off the admission rolls...there are probably 10 parents who will happily send their child in place.

You think you're doing something to make an impact. You are not.

College, as a whole, is dead.

ROI isn't there.

Technology moves faster than the curriculum.

You'll make more money marketing on social media or owning a small business for the same money you pour into college.

You can buy amazon inventory and sell it making 30% margin utilizing the same debt.

Other than lawyers and Drs, degrees are useless.
Tibbers
When you spend 500 million dollars on something you use 6 days of the year, there may be some priority issues that are deep seeded. Seems universities have lost their roots. Students no longer attend college to learn, its a means to an end, an example to show one can go from A to B to C and are thus hirable. Colleges know this as well. On top of this, similar to the bone wars of Woodland Park, colleges are more interested in amassing patents, papers and research than they are of actual education. Research gets the grants, patents get the money and the great dick measuring contest of university to university was born.

Universities used their clout to twist the arms of politicians via cushy board of regent positions where they get their tiny egos felatioed at every campus event. Hell of a retirement. So politicians in turn loosen the screws on tuition regulation at the same time as covering all student loans via tax payer dollars. They setup the same except Fannie mae and Freddy mac system again. Of course it will fail, but before it does, the dam of stupidity and mediocrity has flown over the IQ levee colleges are normally supposed to contain. With an influx of the dumb came the necessity to cater to it, demanding such lucrative talking gigs as being a professor who teaches about violence in video games or insert any banal topic youd like. The point is, the game was changed and rigged and its time to no longer continue playing, to flip the tables, and to craft a new way to play.

Just my two cents. Education should never be behind a paywall. The founder of reddit Aaron gave his life for that very belief. Colleges and universities do more to divide us than to bring us together. Its an archaic system based on geography. Technology trumps geography.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Dad said:

I'm trying to entertain myself in other ways too.

I won't make a stand about watching or not watching because I will likely watch some aggie football when the time comes, but I have decided to not spend a dime on it and will be able to stick to that.

I tried to watch the NBA the other day and seeing the name of a marxist/racist organization over and over got old and I changed the channel. I wish the NBA could have gone woke without jumping in bed with that evil organization. Just put the word "All" in front of it like Terry Crews said and it becomes something different that I could stand behind because it is not that organizations name. #AllBlackLivesMatter

TNT had twice their normal viewer ratings for an NBA regular season game last night. They will probably get plenty of eyeballs as the playoffs start. It's 2020 And things have changed. Perhaps the sports viewing demographic will gradually change with it. Sounds like some of ya'll will leave and move on to other hobbies. That is everybody's personal choice. There will still be a lot of sports fans.
titan
S
itsyourboypookie said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

You wanna guess how many kids over the last decade would have loved for a spot on the A&M campus instead of a stint at Blinn + re-apply?

Truth is, for every parent who thinks they are standing tall by taking their kid off the admission rolls...there are probably 10 parents who will happily send their child in place.

College, as a whole, is dead.

ROI isn't there.

Technology moves faster than the curriculum.

You'll make more money marketing on social media or owning a small business for the same money you pour into college.

You can buy amazon inventory and sell it making 30% margin utilizing the same debt.

Other than lawyers and Drs, degrees are useless.
And that is not long for the world -- remember the California thread doing away with the standards for passing the bar?
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Onceaggie2.0
NBA ratings are down overall
johnnyblaze36
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Dad said:

I'm trying to entertain myself in other ways too.

I won't make a stand about watching or not watching because I will likely watch some aggie football when the time comes, but I have decided to not spend a dime on it and will be able to stick to that.

I tried to watch the NBA the other day and seeing the name of a marxist/racist organization over and over got old and I changed the channel. I wish the NBA could have gone woke without jumping in bed with that evil organization. Just put the word "All" in front of it like Terry Crews said and it becomes something different that I could stand behind because it is not that organizations name. #AllBlackLivesMatter

TNT had twice their normal viewer ratings for an NBA regular season game last night. They will probably get plenty of eyeballs as the playoffs start. It's 2020 And things have changed. Perhaps the sports viewing demographic will gradually change with it. Sounds like some of ya'll will leave and move on to other hobbies. That is everybody's personal choice. There will still be a lot of sports fans.
More people watched Tucker Carlson than the return of the NBA. They've likely ran off half their fan base. I know I'm out for the foreseeable future and have been going to Mavs games since I was four years old.
Ag4coal
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

what's more important? Where your kids went to college or making sure your kids aren't brainwashed?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
bicmitchum
what did i miss?so pinche ,what got you on your high horse
BanderaAg956
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

And how many of those 10 waiting can afford a state school?
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Owlagdad
I am hearing A&M will admit you with just TSI score and not SAT- wow!
Also, parents of kids who want to teach should know the salary is same if your kid goes to A&M or SFASU.
Salary is same for RN - whether you go to A&M or do two years at a JC.
OU has dental hygiene for 4 year program- you get it in two at JC- and money is same when you start.
I know many want kids to get and experience The old A&M, but if that feeling is not there anymore, you could save by going elsewhere and your kid will be just fine.
FCBlitz
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

Wow you are out of touch!

Why do you think TAMU is hip deep in applicants. Because iTAMU does have that generational connection. I have family members that have gone to TAMC prior to WW2 to now. Mostly poor white farm boys went to early AGGIELAND. That rural farm and ranch is strong to this day.

It all started to chance back when I was in school. 1984 to 1988. When those big freshman classes started. TAMU was 24k students at the time and was full of kids who wanted to go to TAMU for family connection and for the traditional values the school stood for.

Now that the enrollment is so jacked up and more minorities who have come to TAMU came because of free money......not because they had history with the school.

TAMU and all it's meaningful traditions are now going to tossed aside.

The sad thing is the TAMU family, Traditions and rich military history with the Corp of Cadets will be prostituted and pimped out every Saturday during football season because it make for good TV. Home if the 12th Man and Fighting Texas AGGIE BAND. But they really don't care for the military other then abuses the image on Saturday.

To hell with all of them. If TAMU is going to stop being the TAMU that it was once to me and my family.....well I will assume that change has started now and screw the adults in the room who allowed this to happen.

I rather donate my money directly to the CofC. AND ignor TAMU. The Corp should not allow it self to be prostituted. .
BackPocket
Quote:

enrollment is so jacked up and more minorities who have come to TAMU came because of free money.....

And there it is. Only took 2 pages, but we finally got it out.
Proc92
bicmitchum said:

Reads like it was the sixth highball.
End Of Message
AG
bicmitchum said:

Whiskey
Yesterday
AG
BackPocket said:

Quote:

enrollment is so jacked up and more minorities who have come to TAMU came because of free money.....

And there it is. Only took 2 pages, but we finally got it out.

Must suck waking up offended and then spending the rest of the day trying to justify it. One day you'll realize it was all a ruse and wonder why your friends are losers, you have no career and no one likes you. Or you'll change and live a prosperous and happy life. Good luck!
ATM9000
AG
Old Army: Going to Hell since1876.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Humans love and need sport. It's always been commercial and political. It's never going to be different. If y'all have decided you don't want your school to be in the chase for championships that's one thing.... or maybe you've decided you don't care. But celebrity sport isn't going away. It's always been with us: https://www.cracked.com/article_19999_5-true-stories-cut-from-movies-being-too-unrealistic.html (see gladiator commercials and action figures) Most likely there were people complaining in Jesus' day that games drew too much attention.
agAngeldad
Attendance for all sports was trending down before COVId and protest. With recent politcal statements, it will trend further down. Everything has changed and we will see where it stops when this mess is over. Who would have thought sports could self destruct by itself.
titan
S
agAngeldad said:

Attendance for all sports was trending down before COVId and protest. With recent politcal statements, it will trend further down. Everything has changed and we will see where it stops when this mess is over. Who would have thought sports could self destruct by itself.
It can definitely happen. The activist Democratic Party is one of the greatest forces of destructive entropy that has been seen in a while. It erodes and undermines anything that comes under its dominion.

There are completely unrelated examples where even something like sports can implode and go away for a time. Changed values and attitudes, coupled with drying up of sources of revenue at the same time, can operate that way. Chariot racing and the big arena events in the Roman Empire were easily as sophisticated in their marketing and complexity as much of modern sports. When they withered away, it was no trivial thing, but very noticeable. A seismic shift.

There is precedents.
FrioAg 00:
AGHouston11
AG
What I have learned in all of this is how little sports matter! They are the most nonessential thing there is in life.

Then there is the realization we have as a society allowed sports to become more important than the actual game.

We saw a player in a pandemic sign a $45,000,000 per year contract for 10 years. I'm for capitalism but I'm not for people making millions playing a game in tax payer funded facilities preaching how they are oppressed and capitalism is the root of all evil. They are ashamed of our country.

That's over $123,000 per DAY!! To play a game.

Kozmozag
Did the rockets win?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
AnScAggie said:

I'm guessing he did Nazi that coming...
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Some attendance trends were heading down because TV viewership is/was going up. That's why the money keeps rising. Live events hold even more value than ever (over scripted tv) in this climate bcs they still need to be consumed live to preserve the drama.
fixer
TXK said:

Humans love and need sport. It's always been commercial and political. It's never going to be different. If y'all have decided you don't want your school to be in the chase for championships that's one thing.... or maybe you've decided you don't care. But celebrity sport isn't going away. It's always been with us: https://www.cracked.com/article_19999_5-true-stories-cut-from-movies-being-too-unrealistic.html (see gladiator commercials and action figures) Most likely there were people complaining in Jesus' day that games drew too much attention.

I look forward to the day when 'celebrity sports figures' have to supplement their income with real jobs.

Meanwhile, its insufferable to watch games played by people who literally hate me and want me to not exist.

There is no historical equivalent to current times; where sports figures are wealthy demi gods; have a platform exalted above everyone; and whose lectures about social issues can drive a news cycle for days.

BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
There is nothing new under the Sun
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

NSTN8 said:

Tanya 93 said:

This is going to be like Mizzou.

A few years of lowered enrollment and then it starts going up.

Anger is fleeting and in state is cheaper than outta state for most

Screw Mizzou... they were the innovators of cowering to these bullies. Wrote the playbook of being weak-kneed milktoasts at the collegiate level.
And?

They recovered.

It's all said

Have a great weekend
They may be recoverING, but they haven't recoverED yet.

Freshman enrollment for last year was still down 12% from 2015...
zephyr88
AG
Quote:

My children are not gong to TAMU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.