Shift away from sports

9,883 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Artorias
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

A&Ms freshman class had 21k admitted last year.

That is insane. That is bigger than most university systems in the country by itself.
That has to be system wide.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
All Missouri colleges had lower enrollment over that time period. All of them.
Tanya 93
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

NSTN8 said:

Tanya 93 said:

This is going to be like Mizzou.

A few years of lowered enrollment and then it starts going up.

Anger is fleeting and in state is cheaper than outta state for most

Screw Mizzou... they were the innovators of cowering to these bullies. Wrote the playbook of being weak-kneed milktoasts at the collegiate level.
And?

They recovered.

It's all said

Have a great weekend
They may be recoverING, but they haven't recoverED yet.

Freshman enrollment for last year was still down 12% from 2015...
They also had the biggest fundraising year ever last year. People forget. Or get over it.

My was people are going to forget this, stop caring about it, and simply want a good state school
Ag with kids
AG
TXK said:

Link please.

I provided mine....
fixer
including non sequitur responses.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Ag with kids said:

TXK said:

Link please.

I provided mine....

Too many articles to link. Literally a two second google search
Tanya 93
TXK said:

Ag with kids said:

TXK said:

Link please.

I provided mine....

No, there are not too many articles to link

Truman and MSU were down

Mizzou, Northwest Missouri State, Missouri S&T saw increases. S&T really did with summer school this year
YouBet
AG
Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

A&Ms freshman class had 21k admitted last year.

That is insane. That is bigger than most university systems in the country by itself.
That has to be system wide.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile

I don't know what Team and Gateway are. Blinn program?
Stumpknocker
I'm giving some money to the local trade school.

At least the students will learn something there other than how to be flaming, skinny jeaned poosies!

Like the 3 electric company fellas who braved last nights storms to get the power back on. Good old boys actually contributing to society...
Old Sarge
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

NSTN8 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Screw Mizzou... they were the innovators of cowering to these bullies. Wrote the playbook of being weak-kneed milktoasts at the collegiate level.
And?

They recovered.

It's all said

Have a great weekend

They also had the biggest fundraising year ever last year. People forget. Or get over it.

My was people are going to forget this, stop caring about it, and simply want a good state school

There is a marked difference between a good state school and a SJW indoctrination camp. Unfortunately, that is what's happening to TAMU.
Ag with kids
AG
TXK said:

Ag with kids said:

TXK said:

Link please.

I provided mine....

Ok...Since you like to make unsubstantiated claims, I'll do your work for you.

Here's a link

Quote:

Truman State University began seeing lower enrollment a couple of years ago. Truman is about to report its third year of decreased enrollment while other colleges around Missouri have broadcasted their enrollment numbers are going up.

Also, every article I saw that did talk about declining numbers were just in the last few years (not since 2015) and also were small compared to MU's enrollment decline. Not only that, most of the decline was in community colleges, not universities...

However...My point stands. MU may be recovering, but they have NOT recovered.
Tanya 93
Old Sarge said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

NSTN8 said:

Tanya 93 said:

And?

They recovered.

It's all said

Have a great weekend

There is a marked difference between a good state school and a SJW indoctrination camp. Unfortunately, that is what's happening to TAMU.
And yet, Mizzou has seen increases because people forget, no longer care, move on, or their kids want to go because out of state at Mizzou is cheaper than in state in Illinois and Mizzou reduced the costs of on campus housing (all freshman have to live on campus) and meal plans.

Are they back to pre-2015 levels of freshman? No, but they have the highest retaining rates they have ever had because they had to work to get people to enroll and stay.
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

NSTN8 said:

Tanya 93 said:

And?

They recovered.

It's all said

Have a great weekend

Not disputing that.

Just disputing that they've recovered. They haven't. A 12% smaller enrollment is a BIG chunk of money for the university.
AnScAggie
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

AnScAggie said:

Maybe Back Pocket should find out who Aggie1944 was before he pops off to his kid.
I'm guessing he did Nazi that coming...
Haha
TTUArmy
Tanya 93 said:

Most conservative Aggies I know are doing well enough to send their children to any school they choose. And, there are some fine choices out there.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably hit "The Citadel".
policywonk98
AG
Once Texas implemented the 10% rule and the school was bullied into eliminating legacy in the admissions points system, A&M started its slow march toward losing its culture. My class was right at the edge of all those changes. During my time the non-regs still loved and appreciated the corp and our history as a military college.

Once our leadership shifted the school to reach 100k students and providing new degrees and sub-specialities within the Liberal Arts College that provide no value to society, but instead are the study of activism and victimization, the slow march shifted to a sprint race. Now, we have large swaths of students indifferent to the schools military history and traditions. And now a growing group openly hostile towards. Being taught that the schools entire history is both racist and misogynist.

So whats the remedy to school pride? Well, to radically change the cultural, tear down its past, and getting student athletes to be apart of this helps to speed it along.

As an alum looking at colleges for my children. The one thing that would make A&M my first choice is dying and under attack. So for me it becomes more about seeking the best academics with the highest reputation at the lowest possible cost. And while A&m still offers value, for in state considerations, Im looking at Texas and Rice for the absolute best education. Looking at service academies for value and academics. At this point I'll be a little disappointed if A&M isn't just a safe school.
titan
S

Speaking to the more general campus trends, simply abolishing this element seems the best way to restore the value of the system:

Quote:

Once our leadership shifted the school to reach 100k students and providing new degrees and sub-specialities within the Liberal Arts College that provide no value to society, but instead are the study of activism and victimization, the slow march shifted to a sprint race. Now, we have large swaths of students indifferent to the schools military history and traditions. And now a growing group openly hostile towards. Being taught that the schools entire history is both racist and misogynist.
You should be able to separate classic Liberal Arts like history from that abolition, but even if not its more important that the agenda you describe be deleted; history will be fine with all the other tools today to learn of it. Its not best taught in agenda format these days. People war-gaming learn more accurate stuff than class now. People interested in it will get into it enough. Just get rid of all that grievance putting the past-on-trial re-inventing where it is twisted to serve an agenda and none of the value of its lessons are learned. If that means universities become STEM only or nearly so, that may be the path.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Tanya 93
I do not understand the mindset that thinks legacy is okay but other non merit things that happen simply because of birth aren't.

Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I do not understand the mindset that thinks legacy is okay but other non merit things that happen simply because of birth aren't.

Legacy at least has some concrete tie directly to the university. Do those other non merit things?

I'm agnostic on allowing legacy admissions, but at least I see the connection...
UTExan
Stumpknocker said:

I'm giving some money to the local trade school.

At least the students will learn something there other than how to be flaming, skinny jeaned poosies!

Like the 3 electric company fellas who braved last nights storms to get the power back on. Good old boys actually contributing to society...
Same here. Nurses don't need extraneous liberal arts courses when we need to get them working as soon as possible. Same with electricians or other vocations. And we need to re-establish the idea of "normal" colleges to train teachers and insure that peak schools (research universities) don't become way stations for social misfits trying to find themselves.

People can discuss history, literature, art, music and philosophy at Barnes and Noble/Starbucks coffee circles at night or better still, pay for the hour for tutelage. And, the days are over when we need luxurious facilities and housing for overprivileged scholarship athletes.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
titan
S
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

Legacy at least has some concrete tie directly to the university. Do those other non merit things?

I'm agnostic on allowing legacy admissions, but at least I see the connection...
Knowing a fourth generation Ag, isn't - or was -- one of the attractions or perks precisely the idea that your kid might have a legacy admission as long as met the requirements? Wasn't that one of those returns for your own time in a campus and contributions?
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
samurai_science
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

TAMU doesn't give a flying F.

Nor should they.

You wanna guess how many kids over the last decade would have loved for a spot on the A&M campus instead of a stint at Blinn + re-apply?

Truth is, for every parent who thinks they are standing tall by taking their kid off the admission rolls...there are probably 10 parents who will happily send their child in place.

You think you're doing something to make an impact. You are not.

Every year that goes by they turn Texas A&M further into a degree mill and the degree further loses value.

But please continue with your religious worship of football and other Aggie sports.

You are living in the past thinking A&M is what it used to be but the liberals are destroying it. Students not being able to get in or or wanting to get in the past has no bearing on what happens today and in the future.
Tanya 93
Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

I have an issue with people that think it should be all about merit, all about the best of the best, but then think kids deserve extra points because their grandfather or father or mother went.

Let's be realistic. A 5th generation hopeful Aggie has reasons why the great, great grandfather could attend and the first generation hopeful Aggie may not.

People need to be consistent.

We want Benny to go to A&M. His great grandfather established an endowed scholarship, his parents, several second cousins and an aunt and uncle all went. He needs to get in because he is the best and worthy of it. Not get bonus points because I gave birth to him.

And I am glad that doesn't happen anymore
samurai_science
Also Texas A&M not caring is kind of the point in the reason it's headed downhill don't you think?

BackPocket
Ag1944 means nothing to me. He's a TA screen name. DGAF.
titan
S
BackPocket said:

-
FrioAg 00:
flashplayer
AG
BackPocket said:

Don't worry. You couldn't hold his jock's jock holder anyway.

For those of us who know what he gave to us, just know we could not care less what you think. Run along, you piece of trash.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

Once Texas implemented the 10% rule and the school was bullied into eliminating legacy in the admissions points system, A&M started its slow march toward losing its culture.
Loss of legacy points in admissions was a huge blow.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
titan
S
EXACTLY.
FrioAg 00:
bmks270
AG
titan said:

Speaking to the more general campus trends, simply abolishing this element seems the best way to restore the value of the system:

Quote:

You should be able to separate classic Liberal Arts like history from that abolition, but even if not its more important that the agenda you describe be deleted; history will be fine with all the other tools today to learn of it. Its not best taught in agenda format these days. People war-gaming learn more accurate stuff than class now. People interested in it will get into it enough. Just get rid of all that grievance putting the past-on-trial re-inventing where it is twisted to serve an agenda and none of the value of its lessons are learned. If that means universities become STEM only or nearly so, that may be the path.

Society is ready for STEM vocational universities. History isn't being taught anymore anyway, just Marxist garbage, nothing of value is lost by cutting modern liberal arts out of STEM. Cut the coursework and reduce the time required to graduate by 1 or 2 semesters.
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ag with kids said:

Tanya 93 said:

I have an issue with people that think it should be all about merit, all about the best of the best, but then think kids deserve extra points because their grandfather or father or mother went.

Let's be realistic. A 5th generation hopeful Aggie has reasons why the great, great grandfather could attend and the first generation hopeful Aggie may not.

People need to be consistent.

We want Benny to go to A&M. His great grandfather established an endowed scholarship, his parents, several second cousins and an aunt and uncle all went. He needs to get in because he is the best and worthy of it. Not get bonus points because I gave birth to him.

And I am glad that doesn't happen anymore

That's fair enough. As I said, I'm agnostic on the legacy issue.

But, just pointing out the difference between legacy and other non merit reasons for admittance.
BackPocket
I'll be right here
End Of Message
AG
You seem to want to prevent others from taking it. Why?
Ag87H2O
AG
flashplayer said:

BackPocket said:

Don't worry. You couldn't hold his jock's jock holder anyway.

For those of us who know what he gave to us, just know we could not care less what you think. Run along, you piece of trash.
No kidding. If ignorance is bliss, he must be in heaven.
BackPocket
Please quote where I said that?

Thanks,

BP

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.