Shift away from sports

10,050 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Artorias
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BackPocket said:

Please quote where I said that?

Thanks,

BP

"Seem to." Obviously, there is no direct quote, but, collectively, your posting history seems to imply that HCQ shouldn't be administered.
Onceaggie2.0
BackPocket said:

I'll be right here
Do you ever leave your moms basement?
BackPocket
Ok thanks for the clarification.

Now, with your permission, I'll go ahead and take your words out of my mouth.

Thanks,

BP
End Of Message
AG
Permission denied, comrade
BackPocket
You do you, brother.
ATM9000
AG
Legacy points for a state institution that should be operated for the benefit of the state of Texas above everything else is really problematic.

Rice and Baylor want to do legacy points? Cool... but they really don't belong at places like Texas or Texas A&M.
Ag with kids
AG
BackPocket said:

Ag1944 means nothing to me. He's a TA screen name. DGAF.
And you're a troll. DGAF
Krautag81
I'll probably watch Aggie Football but Mond has ruined it for me. I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling anymore. What the heck!
LupinusTexensis
Watching sports is a waste of time and always has been. Go outside and do something active yourself. You'll be much healthier for it.
doubledog
Had to happen. Multi-millionaires or want-ta-be millionaires telling the world how they have been treated unjustly.
jickyjack1
Ag4coal said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

TAMU doesn't give a flying F.

Nor should they.

You wanna guess how many kids over the last decade would have loved for a spot on the A&M campus instead of a stint at Blinn + re-apply?

Truth is, for every parent who thinks they are standing tall by taking their kid off the admission rolls...there are probably 10 parents who will happily send their child in place.

You think you're doing something to make an impact. You are not.
what's more important? Where your kids went to college or making trying to make sure your kids aren't brainwashed?

Any more, "trying" is all one can do. It's moving too fast and nearly all of the movement is leftward. Hopefully the course can be corrected over time, but it will be a rocky road requiring iron resolution at the grassroots. We have reached the point that every wasted minute is critical.
Artorias
AG
BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

You wanna guess how many kids over the last decade would have loved for a spot on the A&M campus instead of a stint at Blinn + re-apply?

Truth is, for every parent who thinks they are standing tall by taking their kid off the admission rolls...there are probably 10 parents who will happily send their child in place.

Newsflash, genius. It is not about "hurting" A&M. It is about doing what you feel is best for your kids.
AgNav93
AG
NSTN8 said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

Well excuuuuuse him, know it all.
No kidding. What a tool.
techno-ag
AG
ATM9000 said:

Legacy points for a state institution that should be operated for the benefit of the state of Texas above everything else is really problematic.

Rice and Baylor want to do legacy points? Cool... but they really don't belong at places like Texas or Texas A&M.
It set us apart. But it's gone now, so moot point. Too bad. With all the minority students enrolled in recent years it may have helped their kids down the road, but no more. Knee jerk reactions like this always hurt minorities it seems.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
The TC Jester
I will be actively rooting against Mond. I hope LSU and Bama annihilate that hate filled racist. Can't wait to watch him sail balls over players heads on routine passes.
BackPocket
"hey let's bring back a policy that helped exclude minorities by repackaging it and making it look like it could help minorities!"

M K
AgNav93
AG
The TC Jester said:

I will be actively rooting against Mond. I hope LSU and Bama annihilate that hate filled racist. Can't wait to watch him sail balls over players heads on routine passes.
Funny how you don't hear anything like this happening at LSU or bama.
ATM9000
AG
techno-ag said:

ATM9000 said:

It set us apart. But it's gone now, so moot point. Too bad. With all the minority students enrolled in recent years it may have helped their kids down the road, but no more. Knee jerk reactions like this always hurt minorities it seems.

A&M was 75-85% white in the early '00's prior to the legacy rule falling. Today that number in around 60. Saying it was probably whiter than that in the 80's and 90's when most people with 18 year-olds right now graduated probably isn't a stretch. I'm not saying the legacy rule is the only reason for this change, but sheer numbers shows that the rule probably wasn't helpful for minorities.

A public institution giving what amounted to as I recall a 4% advantage for legacy is asinine. And it is hard to argue that it isn't racially discriminatory given how white A&M has been throughout its' history.
ExPeterKeating
AnScAggie said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

Not so fast there sport. A&M most likely will maintain a high enrollment, hell it seems like their goal is to hit 100k enrollment anyway. But the difference will become when an A&M degree holds no more weight than a degree from Sam Houston, UTSA or god forbid Sul Ross University, then it will matter.
I have recruited and hired students from Texas and a few other surrounding universities for 25 years. Trust me when I tell you the hire is about the individual. There Is little to no premium for a particular degree or university. Specific schools deliver general traits in a student, but any company worth it's salt will mix the hires from a range of places to have a range of perspectives. Once a new hire is three years in and trained, most level out, and there are no discernible differences or advantages from a particular degree. The individual moxy and drive is the final difference.
Hamburger Dan
Some of y'all have a strange relationship with sports. Unless you are directly involved, it's basically entertainment. Like a concert or a movie. Big time college athletes play, because they were good enough to earn a scholarship. If not A & M, then somewhere else. Most don't care, where they end up. They are mostly looking for the best fit / deal. They're like mercenaries. So are the coaches. I'm no hall of fame coach, but I've made a nice living off of athletics over the past 38 years. It's a tough life, because it's 24/7, 365 days a year. Its important to me, because that's how I get paid. I would have a hard time without athletics in my life. For fans, it's just a way to let loose, forget about your troubles, hang out with friends, and be entertained for a few hours. You aren't there to judge.
The TC Jester
I've been a die hard A&M fan since I was like 4 or 5. College sports is obviously more personal than pro sports due to the personal ties to the university by the alumni. I have always heavily favored my team, sometimes to the point of delusion. But now, with the head of the team basically calling us racists...and another player tweeting support for a violent black on white assault/hate crime, and another player standing shirtless in the face of old Ags with hate in his eyes trying to intimidate them...oh, and all of these players walking around chanting anti police sentiment ("F the racist ass police!")...it's just hard to like this team.
AnScAggie
AG
ExPeterKeating said:

AnScAggie said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

Not so fast there sport. A&M most likely will maintain a high enrollment, hell it seems like their goal is to hit 100k enrollment anyway. But the difference will become when an A&M degree holds no more weight than a degree from Sam Houston, UTSA or god forbid Sul Ross University, then it will matter.
I have recruited and hired students from Texas and a few other surrounding universities for 25 years. Trust me when I tell you the hire is about the individual. There Is little to no premium for a particular degree or university. Specific schools deliver general traits in a student, but any company worth it's salt will mix the hires from a range of places to have a range of perspectives. Once a new hire is three years in and trained, most level out, and there are no discernible differences or advantages from a particular degree. The individual moxy and drive is the final difference.
I agree up to a point. My wife is a high level exec and at a lot of companies, say Fortune 100 type companies their internship programs, recruitment outreach and career center connections/career fair events seem to be focused around arguably the top 25-50 universities. My wife's last batch of interns here in Texas consisted of students from A&M, tu, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Penn St. and Florida. I do not believe that a student from Hardin Simmons cannot outperform a student from A&M or Vanderbilt, because they can and many do. But when you're betting, the odds of success professionally (whether that is from a personal or employer perspective) are greater for a student from a top tier university compared to student from a for profit school or small regional school. In 10-20 years it may not matter where you went to school, and based on the cluelessness you see on may campuses and by many current students involved in these protests/riots and that will be rightly deserved, but a year ago, at present and into the foreseeable future the trend holds, better degrees get better initial opportunities. Five to ten years into a career it most likely does not matter.
Artorias
AG
AnScAggie said:

ExPeterKeating said:

AnScAggie said:

BackPocket said:

Guess what?

Nor should they.

I agree up to a point. My wife is a high level exec and at a lot of companies, say Fortune 100 type companies their internship programs, recruitment outreach and career center connections/career fair events seem to be focused around arguably the top 25-50 universities. My wife's last batch of interns here in Texas consisted of students from A&M, tu, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Penn St. and Florida. I do not believe that a student from Hardin Simmons cannot outperform a student from A&M or Vanderbilt, because they can and many do. But when you're betting, the odds of success professionally (whether that is from a personal or employer perspective) are greater for a student from a top tier university compared to student from a for profit school or small regional school. In 10-20 years it may not matter where you went to school, and based on the cluelessness you see on may campuses and by many current students involved in these protests/riots and that will be rightly deserved, but a year ago, at present and into the foreseeable future the trend holds, better degrees get better initial opportunities. Five to ten years into a career it most likely does not matter.
I know several people who graduated with good GPA's from both Texas and A&M, who are some of the dumbest people I have ever met.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.