Massive Fire Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

19,688 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zoneag
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NM

somehow missed the discussion of the aluminum components on the island
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I've never seen that many Scott packs in one photo before...

And why does the Navy wear those 1 piece turnouts and those immensely uncomfortable rubber boots? Really figured they'd be wearing the far more comfortable Globes or other quality leather fire boot!
texrover91
AG
Seems like an odd material choice given it's melting point
agent-maroon
AG
Low melting point, but very conductive so the heat gets dispersed before the temp rises to the melting point in any given spot. Mainly used for it's lighter weight and corrosion resistance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
titan
S
texrover91 said:

Seems like an odd material choice given it's melting point
Lighter weight. Aviation vessels like carriers and amphib ships are often very concerned with topside weight in reference to their offensive arm carried. All warships trade something for another---sacrifices and choices made.
titan
S
Rapier108 said:

aggiehawg said:

Someone call Rosie O'Donnell and tell her again, yes, fire can melt steel.
Much of the island on the Wasp class is aluminum.
The hardest steel in engines and other places on the Bunker Hill melted in the furious fires created by the burning of some 23,000 gallons of aviation fuel blazing on the hangar deck. Fire can and does melt steel.
fullback44
AG
I copied this link from someone's post... this may be the coolest twitter page I've seen in a long time .. lots of cool military pics

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1282875794352746496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1282875794352746496%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F16%2Ftopics%2F3124271%2F6
ABATTBQ11
AG
agent-maroon said:

Low melting point, but very conductive so the heat gets dispersed before the temp rises to the melting point in any given spot. Mainly used for it's lighter weight and corrosion resistance.

I can attest to this. I once had to braze the fuel rail on my wife's old lolvo (fuel leak at the end where a plug was pressed in), and it was aluminum. It was difficult to get up to temp because any heat I applied was transferred through the entire rail and dissipated quickly due to the surface area. Propane wouldn't do it, so I had to get a MAPP gas torch that put out a lot more BTU's. Still, I ended up putting on the grill for a little while, then hitting the end with both torches to get it to a brazing temp. Not sure I could have done it if it was winter.
Punked Shank
AG
Lol there's a reason building codes require beams to be sprayed with cementitious fireproofing or intumescent paint coatings.

All metal can and will melt
nortex97
AG
titan said:

Quote:

I checked twitter, and yes, the Iranians are laughing/mocking the USN.
A navy that can't built a large warship has no business mocking one that does so almost casually. Otherwise they would know they are very complex mechanisms, at times as complex as any spacecraft handling, and mistakes and human error can happen. Ask the Russians whose carrier lost propulsion and went adrift in the middle of the Mediterranean. Nothing simple about big warship handling.
You are correct, again. Also, for some chuckles, note;
[url=https://news.trust.org/item/20200715122556-a24j0][/url]
7 Iranian ships catch fire in port. (I dunno actually if they are all Iranian flagged, navy, etc.)

agent-maroon
AG
7 Iranian ships? That's literally half their entire fleet
texrover91
AG
Also this in May

https://www.trackpersia.com/us-military-offers-condolences-iran-accident-killing-19/
ABATTBQ11
AG
titan said:

Quote:

I checked twitter, and yes, the Iranians are laughing/mocking the USN.
A navy that can't built a large warship has no business mocking one that does so almost casually. Otherwise they would know they are very complex mechanisms, at times as complex as any spacecraft handling, and mistakes and human error can happen. Ask the Russians whose carrier lost propulsion and went adrift in the middle of the Mediterranean. Nothing simple about big warship handling.

Yeah, but that carrier is also a product of communism and a death trap that has never worked.
ABATTBQ11
AG
agent-maroon said:

7 Iranian ships? That's literally half their entire fleet

Well, there was that one time we actually destroyed literally half their fleet and could have easily wiped out the rest had we felt so inclined. Lucky for them, we were merciful and did not continue to press the issue.
74OA
AG
Here's a look at the condition the BR was likely in when the fire started and how it contributed to things getting out of hand: VULNERABLE
ABATTBQ11
AG
Punked Shank said:

Lol there's a reason building codes require beams to be sprayed with cementitious fireproofing or intumescent paint coatings.

All metal can and will melt

Interestingly, one method of adding fire resistance to tube steel columns is adding water or concrete to the interior. The mass of water or concrete absorbs more heat slower than the steel of the tube. If you can circulate the water, the fireproofing is almost limitless.
lunchbox
nortex97
AG
Interesting piece;

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/07/13/the-bonhomme-richard-fire-deals-a-blow-to-the-navys-designs-in-the-indo-pacific/

A lot of work/cost to deploy a handful of USMC F-35B's continuously (this is the stovl variant, apparently the carrier based models don't count). A significant amount of the trillion dollar program was driven by the marine's insistence it include a Harrier-like capability for vertical lift.
74OA
AG
Listing is becoming a problem.
74OA
AG
The fires are out!!
Scruffy
AG
74OA said:

The fires are out!!
74OA
AG
Navy belatedly closing the proverbial barn door: LATE
CanyonAg77
AG
74OA said:

Navy belatedly closing the proverbial barn door: LATE
All bureaucracies can do is watch the horse disappear over the hill while they appoint a committee on Animal Facilities Building Security Issues.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I haven't worn the uniform, so honest question...

I realize that article and the Navy response is due to the fire, but repeated mentions of fire safety, and not safety in general. Am i reading too much into it? What's the overall safety culture? Is it just a fire safety issue with contractors? Or is there an overall decline in general safety culture?
GAC06
AG
https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/07/18/us-navy-orders-to-general-dynamics-nassco-to-stop-work-after-fire-on-uss-kearsarge/

Bonhomme Richard's sister ship Kearsarge caught fire a few days ago. WTF Navy?
titan
S

That's starting to sound very dubious. It is becoming increasingly clear that on-board standards may need to be completely over-hauled and security procedures tightened.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Post removed:
by user
Scruffy
AG
Update:

Looks like a sailor has been arrested on suspicion of arson:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8668621/US-Navy-sailor-investigated-NCIS-deliberately-starting-fire-aboard-USS-Bonhomme-Richard.html

Quote:

Investigators looking into the July 12 fire that gutted a $761 million war ship in San Diego now believe the blaze may have been started deliberately by a US Navy sailor.
The unnamed sailor's home has been searched, according to ABC 10News, based in the Californian city.
Multiple sources with close ties to Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) told the station that arson was now strongly suspected.

Can't help but wonder if this was sponsored by the CCP as they get froggy in the South China Sea.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Scruffy said:

Update:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8668621/US-Navy-sailor-investigated-NCIS-deliberately-starting-fire-aboard-USS-Bonhomme-Richard.html

Quote:

Investigators looking into the July 12 fire that gutted a $761 million war ship in San Diego now believe the blaze may have been started deliberately by a US Navy sailor.
The unnamed sailor's home has been searched, according to ABC 10News, based in the Californian city.
Multiple sources with close ties to Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) told the station that arson was now strongly suspected.

Can't help but wonder if this was sponsored by the CCP as they get froggy in the South China Sea.

Sounds like a great opportunity to bring back hanging traitors on the town square.
TxTarpon
I thought they were shot by firing squad?
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
zoneag
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Scruffy said:

Update:

Quote:

Sounds like a great opportunity to bring back hanging traitors on the town square.
How about keelhauling?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.