Massive Fire Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

19,617 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zoneag
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.facebook.com/News8/live_videos/

https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News/live_videos/

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/219

Quote:

USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) is a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship, and the third ship of the United States Navy to bear the name. She was named in honor of John Paul Jones' famous frigate, which he had named in French "Good Man Richard," in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the U.S. Ambassador to France at the time; "Richard" is derived from Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac.

The primary mission of Bonhomme Richard is to embark, deploy and land elements of a Marine landing force in amphibious assault operations by helicopter, landing craft and amphibious vehicle, and if needed, to act as a light aircraft carrier.

Bonhomme Richard is currently in active service and is the flagship for Expeditionary Strike Group Three
Quoted part is from Wikipedia.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
atmtws
AG
Praying everyone made it out safely.
zoneag
Aviation fuel? It's too far forward and high above the waterline for an engine room fire in my opinion. Looks to be near the hanger deck. Scary, hope they can get it under control soon, fire aboard ship is a bad deal.
HowdyTAMU
AG
The hangar deck? I thought those were only on aircraft carriers?
dermdoc
AG
Prayers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
HowdyTAMU said:

Wasp class Marine assault ships carry VTOL (Harriers and F-35Bs) fighters along with helicopters and V-22s.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
DCPD158
AG
HowdyTAMU said:

Assault ship. Harriers, attack choppers etc...
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
GAC06
AG
That looks bad
HowdyTAMU
AG
Thanks, Rapier and DCPD. If I had simply read the first post, I would have known.
Scruffy
AG
Accident, design flaw, failure or sabotage?
Sailor unhappy or China getting frisky?

I hope everyone on board is ok.
NavyAg95
AG
My initial take:
Ship looks like it's in a maintenance availability. Ships crew would be berthed in a berthing barge. Very minimal crew would be onboard on a Sunday. Fire most likely started by a civilian shipyard worker doing hot work. Depending on the extent of the maintenance package being done, shipboard installed firefighting systems maybe down. Looks like the fire is contained mid ships possibly in the forward hanger deck. Will take hours to extinguish.
Ulysses90
AG
I know that the Commandant has expressed disdain for the need of big-deck amphib ships for the Marine Corps' mission but I didn't think he would take it to this extreme.
GAC06
AG
Lots of fire aft as well now
Sailor
Agree with NavyAg. Looks like they are in a maintenace mode due to all the containers and equipment on the flight deck. Hot Work that got away from the firewatch could be a likely cause.

As I've been watching it does seem as if the fire has spread from amidships to the aft of the ship. Spreading. Not good. If they don't get this out soon, it will be an empty shell, total loss.
Sailor
Smoke N' Scan live feed

Wow, they are calling for all fire response people to vacate the pier. Again, not good.
Rapier108
Looks like they finally brought in another fire boat.

Surprising they didn't have every single fire boat there from the beginning, even if at the start all they needed was for them to standby.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

If they don't get this out soon, it will be an empty shell, total loss.
All I see is a couple of fireboats on one side. Doesn't really look like they're seriously fighting it.

And agree with previous posters, all the containers on deck imply it was being worked on.
Rapier108
Sailor said:

Smoke N' Scan live feed

Wow, they are calling for all fire response people to vacate the pier. Again, not good.
There was an explosion early on in the fire, so most likely they're worried about another one.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm going to show my complete ignorance here.

Are there valves where they can scuttle the ship? Sink it to put the fire out? Would it be salvageable after? Would that be more or less damaging than fire?

Heck, is there even enough water under it to sink into?
Decay
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Are there valves where they can scuttle the ship? Sink it to put the fire out? Would it be salvageable after? Would that be more or less damaging than fire?

Well for starters the boat's abandoned so nobody to scuttle it.
Rapier108
CanyonAg77 said:

I would assume they could scuttle the ship, but the harbor isn't that deep. It might not sink far enough to snuff the fire. Also, getting enough people to the valves would be difficult if not impossible.

Remember the ships sunk at Peal Harbor? USS West Virginia settled upright and its main deck was pretty much at the waterline.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Since Ben Franklin didn't take a stand against slavery in his early years, the latest ship to have the name of Bonhomme Richard, is obviously cursed in today's woke world.
Rapier108
It seems the fire may be coming under control. The level of smoke has dropped off a lot, especially from the side where the fire boats have been working.
Sailor
CanyonAg77 said:

Yes, they can flood the tanks and voids to put the ship on the bottom but I promise you there is not enough depth there to sink that ship. Heck, when hard storms would come in they would bottom out carriers to keep them from moving.

Also, you have to get to those controls to flood the voids, not sure they can get to them right now.
ABATTBQ11
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Probably not worth it. Salvageable? Sure. Repairable? Probably not. Basically everything electronic would be gone. You'd have to gut the entire thing, and that's private not worth it.
lunchbox
Fireboats leaving the area
lunchbox
Fire apparently getting close to fuel tanks
lunchbox
Ship next to it might also be on fire per scanner.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm going to assume the smaller ship on the opposite side is not capable of being moved? Looks like they would have towed it away ASAP.
Sailor
they need to get that Burke class destroyer off the other side of the pier. They can tow it out. This is crazy serious if the fuel catches fire, especially if it is aviation fuel, JP5.
Goose83
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Probably not (then again, I don't know the depth at San Diego). It would probably just settle halfway to the bottom like the battleships at Pearl did.

My concern, as it is a Sunday (and it appears that she is undergoing maintenance), is that the regular damage control crews are not on board, which will further exacerbate the situation.
NavyAg95
AG
First rule in shipboard firefighting is containment. Got to box the fire in on all sides including below and over. Takes a hell of a lot of people especially if they have to go on air.
wbt5845
AG
There should be no aircraft on board while in port. Not sure if F-35B had deployed to this ship yet anyway. If they had, they're in Yuma.
GAC06
AG
Need to move that destroyer
NavyAg95
AG
Fires like this spread through ventilation ducks and cable ways. Will take a lot of effort to fully extinguish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.