Massive Fire Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego

19,873 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zoneag
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NavyAg95 said:

First rule in shipboard firefighting is containment. Got to box the fire in on all sides including below and over. Takes a hell of a lot of people especially if they have to go on air.
I would assume that also includes people to keep the adjoining bulkheads cool rather than fight the actual fire.

We lost USS Lexington to fire because they couldn't keep the bulkheads cool and they would get so hot, the adjoining room would eventually spontaneously combust. Eventually the fire reached a magazine and boom.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CanyonAg77
AG
Tug boat moving behind destroyer now
CanyonAg77
AG
Bunch of people hauling @$$, running down the pier. Maybe the destroyer crew?
sts7049
AG
is that why the boats appear to be spraying the sides of the hull?
NavyAg95
AG
That's correct. Fire boundaries will be set and bulkheads, decks and overheads will be cooled.
NavyAg95
AG
Think the destroyer is Fitzgerald. Way to be welcomed back into the fleet.
Goose83
AG
What's the deal with the midget fire boats? Can't they afford real ones like New York City?
wbt5845
AG
NavyAg95 said:

That's correct. Fire boundaries will be set and bulkheads, decks and overheads will be cooled.

How do the fireboats know where to aim the water? Big double rows of rivets or is the bulkhead locations marked somehow?
Eliminatus
AG
Damn, is this going to be a total loss??
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Goose83
AG
Since it was in port for maintenance, I'm assuming that the air wing had already been flown off.
Rapier108
Looks like the fire has spread and/or flared back up.

For a while it was mostly light colored and grey smoke, and not that much. Now the volume of smoke has greatly increased, and much of it is black smoke.

Without the helicopter view though, it makes it a lot harder to tell where it is coming from, and how much there actually is.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108

GAC06
AG
I've landed on that ship before. Looks like it could be at total loss or at the very least very extensively damaged
lunchbox
Looks like the CBS8 helicopter is coming back...probably had to go refuel.
Rapier108
Looks like the tugs got the Fritz out of the way.
NormanAg
AG
CNN reporting explosion that injured 11 sailors. Minor injuries and they were taken to the hospital.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-diego-naval-ship-explosion-injures-11-sailors/ar-BB16E2mx?ocid=msedgdhp
MouthBQ98
AG
I'd bet Welding/cutting on lines or tanks that were not verified free of fumes. Tag out or procedural error.
lunchbox
Starting to see puffs of black smoke again...
Rapier108
This is starting to remind me of the USS George Washington fire except that fire occurred while the carrier was at sea.

Took 12 hours to put the fire out and almost caused the Navy to retire the ship, even though she had only been in commission for 16 years. It was considered the worst fire since USS Forrestal.
zephyr88
AG
I would've though these whips would've had fire suppression systems to minimize the effects of a flash fire.
CanyonAg77
AG
zephyr88 said:

I would've though these whips would've had fire suppression systems to minimize the effects of a flash fire.
Might be disabled during renovation
Rapier108
zephyr88 said:

Often times during maintenance, they're disabled so the work doesn't set them off.

There is supposed to be people standing by to put out any fire which starts, but if the explosion is what started it, they might have been injured, or the fire was just too big from the beginning to be put out.
GAC06
AG
zephyr88 said:

A lot of the damage control is dependent on the crew, which were largely not onboard apparently
texrover91
AG
What are those nets in the water that stretch across the berths?

Hope everyone makes a speedy recovery T&P for all involved
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

What are those nets in the water
I'm betting booms to contain oil spills
Sailor
Correct. Oil/Fuel is lighter than water so it floats on top. Those booms help to contain.
GAC06
AG
I believe it's a force protection thing to keep boats away
CanyonAg77
AG
GAC06 said:

I believe it's a force protection thing to keep boats away
Why not both?
GAC06
AG
https://www.harboroffshorebarriers.com/
cuz-i-can
AG
Sailor said:

Correct. Oil/Fuel is lighter than water so it floats on top. Those booms help to contain.

...something....username....something...
Rapier108
A lot more fire boats out there now. The newer ones are a lot bigger so most likely can pump a much higher quantity of water.
Betoisafurry
zephyr88 said:

Above posters are correct. Automatic fire fighting equipment is disabled during any hot work which is why fire watch is critical.
Goose83
AG
Rapier108 said:

A lot more fire boats out there now. The newer ones are a lot bigger so most likely can pump a much higher quantity of water.
Yeah, I just noticed that they finally got rid of the fire dinghies as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.