Texas Shutdown Tomorrow [Thread started 7/5/20]

31,927 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by riverrataggie
ABCDE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time to start calling your congressperson' s office. Start tonight. Email too. If need be go to their office. Putting pressure on your local representative is the best place to start.
Love Gun
ABCDE said:

Time to start calling your congressperson' s office. Start tonight. Email too. If need be go to their office. Putting pressure on your local representative is the best place to start.

What if our rep is Bill Flores?
Mr. White
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Texas-leaders-warn-of-hospital-capacity-ask-for-15387182.php
eric76
AG
SociallyConditionedAg said:

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Texas will announce a thirty day shutdown tomorrow? Lone Star Park shut down due to COVID after one race today and apparently Hobby Lobby has told their employees to expect an announcement for a thirty day shutdown tomorrow. Abbott is trying to kill us.
I'm planning on making my first trip to Amarillo in a year and half on Tuesday. I guess I could go to Oklahoma City, but that's a whole lot longer drive.
BigRobSA
Mr. White said:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Texas-leaders-warn-of-hospital-capacity-ask-for-15387182.php

LoL, #fakenews
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Cassius
aginlakeway said:

Cassius said:

aginlakeway said:

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Texas will announce a thirty day shutdown tomorrow? Lone Star Park shut down due to COVID after one race today and apparently Hobby Lobby has told their employees to expect an announcement for a thirty day shutdown tomorrow. Abbott is trying to kill us.

Why would the whole state shut down? This makes no sense. The big counties or the entire state?

Mandating state wide masks and closings made no sense either.

I thought the mask mandate had exceptions for counties with less cases. Maybe I read that wrong.

So I don't think it was a statewide mask mandate.

Less than 30 cases, which is pretty much the entire state.
88planoAg
AG
Cassius said:

aginlakeway said:

Cassius said:

aginlakeway said:

Why would the whole state shut down? This makes no sense. The big counties or the entire state?

Mandating state wide masks and closings made no sense either.

I thought the mask mandate had exceptions for counties with less cases. Maybe I read that wrong.

So I don't think it was a statewide mask mandate.

Less than 30 cases, which is pretty much the entire state.

Less than 20 active.
agsalaska
Ag CPA
AG
So is there a better source for this rumor besides a Hobby Lobby clerk at this point.
TyHolden
AG
Time to burn the governor's house down...while protesting of course
Mr. White
lunchbox
This is all I can find on twitter or Facebook. Not enough.

rgag12
AG
Mr. White said:

Hospitals, for the most part, are a for-profit business. In normal times they run close to capacity. How many businesses do you know that willingly choose to run at 50-60% capacity all the time knowing that maybe once every couple years they MIGHT need the extra space if something they can't foresee happens?
rgag12
AG
Mr. White said:

I am not 100% sure, but I think technically a place like SA is still currently under a shutdown order. However it has no teeth, it means nothing and is just a political virtue signal.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Hidalgo and Alder? What a joke of an article. Although, as stupid as Abbott has been, who knows what he will do. Someone's got dirt on him, in his ear threatening him, or he's just weak, or both.
BigRobSA
Mr. White said:

Adler is a moron, there isn't a "surge" of cases in hospitals for COVID. That rumor has already been debunked.

Deaths are dropping daily.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
84AGEC
AG
The bluff is open
Nitro Power
AG
All these tyrants are using this as a way to get their names out for future political endeavors. Dora went on a national broadcast this morning. What an embarrassment to our city and county she is.
LostInLA07
AG
What is Turner looking at on % of positive cases. % positive rate has been dropping for a week and is back near 10%.

i is smart
AG
Nitro Power said:

All these tyrants are using this as a way to get their names out for future political endeavors. Dora went on a national broadcast this morning. What an embarrassment to our city and county she is.
I can already see it. Dora "stood up" to the Governor in order to save millions of lives.
Charpie
AG
The RGV IS bad.
aggiehawg
AG
We were bad. Too many boats with Trump flags on the water at Toledo Bend and other lakes. And audio evidence of the "oohs and aaahs" last night for the Fourth irrefutably prove that people were not socially distancing nor properly wearing masks as you can clearly hear them.

(Sarcasm but not that far off, IMO.)
i is smart
AG
Many of you called it on here, but I'm now in the camp that the plan is to fearmonger until after November
Rapier108
Mr. White said:

Adler is saying all of Austin's hospitals will be overwhelmed in "two weeks."

What the hell is it with them always going to "two weeks".
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Nitro Power
AG
Apparently that is the going rate for this virus. It was first thrown out and it appears that pile of **** did in fact stick.
aggierogue
AG
I just booked a vacation in Port Aransas condo. Hope this BS doesn't affect it.
aggiehawg
AG
Rapier108 said:

Mr. White said:

Adler is saying all of Austin's hospitals will be overwhelmed in "two weeks."

What the hell is it with them always going to "two weeks".

I blame Tom Hanks.
agsalaska
AG
lunchbox said:

I do not believe that. If the communications person at Hobby Lobby knows and is telling staff, then it woult be all over the news.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Shanked Punt
Abbott will spin this at it is necessary to open up school schools for in classroom instruction in August statewide. He will say the infection rate at this point in time is way too high to do so at the present time and it must come down to a level so schools can open. If you don't want to continue with distance learning and be able to send your kids to school, this has to happen.

You can save your breath on the "this is a weakass virus" argument. Abbott doesn't think so.

atmtws
AG
Shanked Punt said:

Abbott will spin this at it is necessary to open up school schools for in classroom instruction in August statewide. He will say the infection rate at this point in time is way too high to do so at the present time and it must come down to a level so schools can open. If you don't want to continue with distance learning and be able to send your kids to school, this has to happen.

You can save your breath on the "this is a weakass virus" argument. Abbott doesn't think so.

This shouldnt be solely up to him. We need a special session. He has proven his incompetence to govern time and time again.
Living the dream
BackPocket said:

Quote:

Hospitals and deaths are not out of control.

Tell me more, doctor.

Quote:

"Just that number is being misinterpreted and, quite frankly, we're concerned that there is a level of alarm in the community that is unwarranted right now," Dr. Marc Boom, the president and CEO of Houston Methodist Hospital, said last week in a Zoom call with other Houston hospital leaders.

Quote:

Mark Wallace, the president and CEO of Texas Children's Hospital, offered an even more frank and encouraging perspective on the same call. "There is not a scenario, in my opinion, to where the demand for our beds, especially ICUs, ventilators, PPE, etc., would eclipse our capability," Wallace said.

Boom also stressed that the current scenario on the ground is starkly different from March and April, with a shift in demographics and outcomes. "We are seeing younger patients, we are seeing a shorter length of stay, we are seeing lower mortality, and we are seeing lower ICU utilization right now," he said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/a-texas-sized-misunderstanding-about-hospital-capacity-in-houston
lunchbox
agsalaska said:

lunchbox said:

I do not believe that. If the communications person at Hobby Lobby knows and is telling staff, then it woult be all over the news.

Agreed - my wife is (sadly) a member of a hobby lobby craft Facebook group and I just checked and there is no mention. During the initial shutdown there were hobby lobby workers posting on there all the time about what the plans were.
Shanked Punt
ATMTWS said:

Shanked Punt said:

This shouldnt be solely up to him. We need a special session. He has proven his incompetence to govern time and time again.
I actually made that argument at the start of this whole mess, the legislature needs to have a say, and was scoffed at by many on here.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

aginlakeway said:

I thought Hobby Lobby was closed on Sundays.

haha - i was gonna ask if chik-fil-a employees were told the same thing today.

I didn't say they were told today.
Cromagnum
AG
No. The people need to have a say because they have had enough of the BS already.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.