Anyone else get a sketchy vibe from Dr, Fauci????

65,802 Views | 458 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by VP at Pierce and Pierce
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's unbelievable, but at the same time unsurprising that this board is questioning the motives of Dr. Fauci. Trump is making unproven claims about hydroxychloroquine treating COVID, and the actual doctor who knows a hell of a lot more than Trump does about this is having to correct the record and say that it's not yet known.

He's not trying to take down Trump, he's trying to set the record straight so people don't listen to Trump and get false hopes. If Trump continues to make statements like this, Fauci will continue to have to correct him.
Tbs2003
This was so predictable from Forum 16 -

Scientist + disagrees with Trump = Can't be trusted.

If Trump replaces Fauci with another yes-man, even more* people in the U.S. are going to die. What the hell is wrong with you people?

* Beyond the tens of thousands that are already likely to die.
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm going to split your hair here.

100% success in a peer reviewed study using 40 patients. That puts us at >95% confident that it will work.

FDA proven to 99.999? No, but we don't have time. It's certainly more than "unproven"
oneeyedag
I'll take these odds any day of the week and twice on sunday during a pandemic.

It could be the attention and tv time hes garnering as well!

Quote:

On March 16, SpaceX founder Elon Musk tweeted that the anti-malaria drug chloroquine was "maybe worth considering" as a treatment for COVID-19. He got 13,000 retweets. By March 19, President Donald Trump was touting chloroquine at a press conference. He even announced that the Food and Drug Administration had fast-tracked its approval for COVID-19. The FDA denied that this was the case a short time later.

While some of the hype has been fuelled by a document generated outside the scientific literature, chloroquine's potential in treating COVID-19 is gaining traction in the medical community.

The drug has a long track record in medicine, having been used since the 1940s as an antimalarial. The modern drug is made from the bark of the Cinchona plant, which was taken as an herbal remedy by indigenous Peruvians four centuries ago to treat fever. And there are some early indications it could work against SARS-CoV-2 infections.

For instance, a study in France published on March 20 in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents described the treatment of 42 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, 26 of whom received a version of chloroquine called hydroxychloroquine and 16 of whom received routine care. Of the 20 patients who took the antimalarial and completed the study, six also received azithromycin, an antibiotic. All six of these patients were free of SARS-CoV-2 by the fifth day post-treatment, while seven of 14 patients who took hydroxychloroquine alone were negative for the virus, and two of 16 control patients were no longer infected

Bubba smollett
So dr fauci is smarter than the doctors in Europe who did tests on patients using this drug ?

Oh and now government should be trusted and listened to! Lol
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
P.C. Principal said:

It's unbelievable, but at the same time unsurprising that this board is questioning the motives of Dr. Fauci. Trump is making unproven claims about hydroxychloroquine treating COVID, and the actual doctor who knows a hell of a lot more than Trump does about this is having to correct the record and say that it's not yet known.

He's not trying to take down Trump, he's trying to set the record straight so people don't listen to Trump and get false hopes. If Trump continues to make statements like this, Fauci will continue to have to correct him.
Trump CLAIMED NOTHING !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
MASAXET
AG
OP probably thinks he's a crisis actor too
dermdoc
AG
For what it is worth I trust Dr. Fauci implicitly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
valtosca
AG
DTP02 said:

The degree of disagreement between Fauci and Trump on the hydroxychloraquine treatment has been significantly overstated in the press.

Trump didn't say it was a sure thing, he said it had very promising early results.

And Fauci didn't say it wouldn't work, he said essentially that there was anecdotal support for it working but it hasn't been proven by clinical testing.

I expect my science expert to want to hold science to a rigorous standard. And I expect my political leadership to try to push things along in an emergency situation. I see the yin and yang to be natural and healthy.

This right here. Trump was not definitive but hopeful. Fauci didn't say it wouldn't work. Hardly contradictory.

Hold the line. Continue to hold the line because the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin drug cocktail is continuing to work and is actively being used. We should see manufacturing of those drugs come on line rather quickly. It's all just timing at this point because we will win. And economically, what has broken? Nothing was bombed. There is a lot of pent up demand. How do we not succeed economically?
Wife of Chas Satterfield
DTP02 said:

The degree of disagreement between Fauci and Trump on the hydroxychloraquine treatment has been significantly overstated in the press.

Trump didn't say it was a sure thing, he said it had very promising early results.

And Fauci didn't say it wouldn't work, he said essentially that there was anecdotal support for it working but it hasn't been proven by clinical testing.

I expect my science expert to want to hold science to a rigorous standard. And I expect my political leadership to try to push things along in an emergency situation. I see the yin and yang to be natural and healthy.

My bigger concern about Fauci isn't that he is overly politically biased, but that he's just maybe a little too old to be one of the leaders against the greatest pandemic in his lifetime.
This.

A level headed assessment.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
P.C. Principal said:

If only you could prove factually what you typed.
TequilaMockingbird
Kind of reminds me of this guy

peachbasket
I am a political conservative who recently retired from TAMU where I held appointments in both the medical and veterinary colleges. My long research career includes extensive research in infectious diseases, although not on corona viruses. Tony Fauci is the only scientist on the President's task force, and he is truly outstanding in both the breadth and the depth of his knowledge. He will not compromise his science based opinions for either the President or the liberal media. I was proud of President Trump for putting him on the task force. Heaven help us when we judge scientific opinion based on the political leaning of the source.
the last of the bohemians
A male who is a huge supporter of Hillary, might be a great scientist (book smart) but I worry about his common sense.
Medical science is not physics.
AGHouston11
AG
peachbasket said:

I am a political conservative who recently retired from TAMU where I held appointments in both the medical and veterinary colleges. My long research career includes extensive research in infectious diseases, although not on corona viruses. Tony Fauci is the only scientist on the President's task force, and he is truly outstanding in both the breadth and the depth of his knowledge. He will not compromise his science based opinions for either the President or the liberal media. I was proud of President Trump for putting him on the task force. Heaven help us when we judge scientific opinion based on the political leaning of the source.

I agree but how many times have we seen in the past few years of scientists slanting the truth for other purposes.
peachbasket
I don't recall Dr Fauci making personal gains from his past work on stemming AIDS, Ebola, SARS, MERS, and other epidemics. He is professionally apolitical.
dermdoc
AG
peachbasket said:

Thank you and you are correct. Dr. Fauci is the best:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PA24
AG
Trump makes a statement.

Democrats hear it one way
Republicans hear it another way.

Nobody is going to change anyone's option.

Just be grateful and kind to one another......
Agvet12
AG
I don't care about who he is - I do question scientist who worship doomsday virus's the same way scientist worship climate change though.

He's an infectious disease guy - this is his moment to shine. I'm cautious when I listen to anyone's 10mins of fame
pantherag
AG
SUag said:

BMX Bandit said:

It's the difference between how a scientist answers questions vs how the layman politician does.

Fauci has been a solid supporter of what Trump has said and done
Dr. Fauci is best case scenario for someone who is science/data driven but also aligns with trump policy. However, cracks are starting to show in the relationship as Dr. Fauci is not afraid to contradict standard trump lies and bs for the benefit of the public.

Accordingly, wouldn't be surprised to see Dr. Fauci's role minimized going forward or eliminated outright. Trump plays 2nd fiddle to no one. He and his personal agenda ALWAYS come first.

Lets see how this plays out.

You can't help yourself and your undying hate of Trump.
TOUCHDOWN!
When it comes to infectious diseases, I'll trust the guy with 50 years of experience in medical research over the guy who said the virus would miraculously disappear when the weather gets a bit warmer.
oldarmy1
AG
He's a self-professed Hillary supporter.
justcallmeharry
S
MSNBC is probably not a huge fan...

[url=https://twitter.com/LizRNC/status/1241002075053600769][/url]
Big Al 1992
AG
This thread, sheesh. Dr. Fauci didn't ask for this. It's an evolving situation so maybe he has course corrected on a couple things and as most docs he doesn't look to politics or media leanings - he looks at data. The drug combo works 95% Of the time. Data backs that up. It is also a small sample size. Both statements are true. You realize the task force meets with the president and then after a couple hours looking at data, reports from the front lines, what's working and what's not, they go straight to the press room. Trump parrots what he's heard at those briefings. If he likes it he talks more about it, not a bad thing. Fauci is not part of the resistance or trying to undermine Trump.
Big Al 1992
AG
Where Trump and Pence mis stepped was overpromising and under delivering on test capabilities, time frame etc. Same with protective gear. If they'd said all along we need a couple weeks to ramp up testing and equipment, and the whys for how come it's not available at the snap of a finger, they'd look like heroes. I fear same thing with the 15 days. Restaurants and businesses are holding on to hope they'll be open back up at that time. They need to start saying they are looking at another 15 days.
SUag
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
SUag said:

Listen to the whole quote from Fauci - he says both are true - people hearing about shortage of equipment but also what Trump said Is true - there is a lot of equipment and resources available, they just have to get it where they need it, and the front line doesn't know who to ask. That is a logistical problem that they are still working through.
Post removed:
by user
Sid Farkas
AG
dermdoc said:

For what it is worth I trust Dr. Fauci implicitly.
For crissakes this

This board is headed off the rails
WestAustinAg
AG
Troutslime said:

He has no accountability to outcomes. He can say and do anything.

He's got more accountability than just about anyone on this virus. Seriously. His reputation is forever ruined if he horribly overstated or understated the situation. He is THE FACE of this nations response.

Politicians will blame him from one side or another no matter what he gets right or wrong.

You know how has not accountability? WHO. CDC. NHS. They have already screw this thing up but the blame will only fall on Trump no matter what.
thirdcoast
AG
I bet Dr. F is now seeing the unmistakable media bias first hand now that he is part of Trump's team. He watches the BS gotcha qs and has probably become the same type of Hillary supporter that Alan Dershowitz is.
96AgGrad
AG
My mom, retired Army colonel and preventive health nurse, worked with him for years. She seems to think he is ok.
Bunk Moreland

Fauci is the absolute best person we could have ever hoped to be Trump's lead scientist on this task force. And I appreciate him going above and beyond to correct media stupidity.
Big Al 1992
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.