Nancy Pelosi Just Made a Major Impeachment Power Play

21,113 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hbtheduce
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lcraggie said:

I believe Nancy is going to hold the impeachment until the election in order to attempt to keep the Supreme Court open when RBG passes. Nancy knows RBG is not long for the earth and can't have Trump appoint ABC or another conservative Justice to the Supreme Court. She is playing the long game on the court in my opinion. She wants as much distraction as possible for the Supreme Court appointment.

How? Impeachment is done. The matter moves to the Senate.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Now she suddenly cares about a "fair" trial?

I don't understand how the liberal brain works. Schiff refuses favorable witnesses for Trump - perfectly fair. Schiff notes on a daily basis pre-impeachment hearings that Trump is guilty - but as the head of the committee he's approaching it somberly and with an open mind - yep, fair too in liberal brains.

Now they know they can't win - not fair!

And the greatest temper tantrum in US history continues.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

fair
Clearly they don't know what this means.
eric76
AG
Stressboy said:

eric76 said:

BuddysBud said:

Can the Senate just make up rules that are obviously biased, and vote that if the House doesn't bring the case within a certain time (say 3 days), the trial is over?

It's not like the House impeachment process was an open, unbiased investigation with due process and both parties were allowed equal opportunities to present evidence.
Do you really want the Senate to do an end run around the Constitution?

The House impeachment process was screwed up, but not for the reason you think. Do you really believe that someone is denied due process if they are not permitted to be a part of the investigation against them? Let's empty out the prisons if that is true.

And don't forget that the House Judiciary Committee extended an offer to Trump to be represented in their hearings and Trump turned them down. That should pretty much end any nonsense about due process violations.

Hey Eric where do you stand on the 6th Amendment that guarantees a speedy trial. By purposely not allowing this to go to the senate for trial the house is violating the 6th. If I was trump I would immediately appeal to the Supreme Court to ensure a speedy trial.
The Constitutional guarantee for a speedy trial is for a criminal trial. Since an impeachment is not a criminal trial, there is no 6th amendment violation in this case.
Ag81Golf
Mitch just needs to announce the rules for calling witnesses and questioning of said witnesses will be just as fair and impartial as they were in the House Committees.
KerrvilleAg
An impeachment RECOMMENDATION by the house, will not be recognized in history as an impeachment if Nancy *****'s out and doesn't send to the Senate. This only CEMENTS her legacy of partisan witch Hunt queen.
oysterbayAG
AG
I think Mitch has the Constitutional Authority to hold the Trial with the Chief Justice without the Articles Of Impeachment being officially sent to the Senate. These Democrat Clowns are now saying they are going after Pence. The Senate GOP Grownups really must take over and stop these Democrat Children !
eric76
AG
BuddysBud said:

eric76 said:

_mpaul said:

AustinAg2K said:

Franklin Delano Bluth said:

I'm not understanding how this is considered a power play or how this strategy will help Democrats in any way...

They voted to impeach, but now refuse take articles to trial

They're literally admitting to playing games at this point
Is there a time limit on how long the impeachment is good for? I'm wondering if she intends on keeping the impeachment until after the election in hopes the Democrats gain a majority in the Senate.
Great question. I can't imagine it survives past the end of this Congress, much like a bill sent to the Senate from the House but then not acted on.
That's not the case at all. Impeachments survive the end of one Congress and into the next Congress.

What would change is that if the trial was going on at the end of one Congress and into the next Congress, any House managers who were no longer in office would have to be replaced. Also, if the Republicans took the House, then they would surely replace the House managers with Republicans.

Where does it say that in the Construction?
If impeachment is a political process and the president is re-elected then the voters (states) have decided. It looks like you, like Nancy, are just making up BS as you go along.
An impeachment is not a legislative matter.

For what it's worth, we have an example of an impeachment in one Congress and the trial in the next -- Bill Clinton.

Clinton was impeached in December of 1998 under the 105th Session of Congress. His impeachment trial was in January of 1999 under the 106th Session of Congress.

If I remember correctly, there were those who argued that Clinton's impeachment should be void because the 105th Session ended before the trial, but that was found to not be the case at all.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is a trial, and all trials are intended to be conducted at a reasonable pace. It may not Be specifically denoted by the 6th, but it is an ethical standard in practice to not unethically and punitively delay a government proceeding to harm a defendant.
eric76
AG
BuddysBud said:

eric76 said:

BuddysBud said:

Can the Senate just make up rules that are obviously biased, and vote that if the House doesn't bring the case within a certain time (say 3 days), the trial is over?

It's not like the House impeachment process was an open, unbiased investigation with due process and both parties were allowed equal opportunities to present evidence.
Do you really want the Senate to do an end run around the Constitution?

The House impeachment process was screwed up, but not for the reason you think. Do you really believe that someone is denied due process if they are not permitted to be a part of the investigation against them? Let's empty out the prisons if that is true.

And don't forget that the House Judiciary Committee extended an offer to Trump to be represented in their hearings and Trump turned them down. That should pretty much end any nonsense about due process violations.

The House refused the minority party to present evidence that didn't fit their narrative.
The House found no evidence of wrongdoing.
No grand jury in the world would present charges based upon the evidence presented in the House hearings, much of which was done in secret. The Dems repeatedly broke House rules and even rules set by the Dems for this process.
The House Dems have been calling for impeachment since the day Trump was elected. Not one Republican voted for impeachment. It was obviously a partisan hack job that was done to undo the 2016 election.
It was a complete shredding of the Constitution.
Since Nancy set the precedent, so yes to end this farce, I would not mind that the Senate follows the same standards set by the House.

Give me a break about the judiciary committee representation. One witness, a Democrat who does like Trump, shredded the "Orange Man Bad" crying of the other two on a Constitutional basis. What would have council done there.
The Senate should dismiss quickly and then launch an investigation into Schiff and Pelosi.
An impeachment is a political matter, not a criminal matter. A President could be impeached without breaking any law at all. When it comes down to it, an impeachable act is whatever the House bases an impeachment on.

Any comparisons between an impeachment and a criminal trial are nothing but an overreach.

The Senate can pretty much decide what they want to investigate, but I don't see any advantage in starting a war between the House and Senate of each investigating the other.
eric76
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It is a trial, and all trials are intended to be conducted at a reasonable pace.
Yes. But it is vastly different in many ways from both criminal trials and civil trials. If we were to make a list of differences and similarities, I suspect that we would find more differences than similarities.
MouthBQ98
AG
It also is not a parliamentary vote of no confidence. The founders were specific in this reasoning when drafting the impeachment clause.
AgNav93
AG
Can she possibly wait until after the 2020 election to see if they get the senate back? Can she wait that long? if that's the case we are now a banana republic. I'm so afraid for our country.
eric76
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

A. Set the date
B. Tell pelosi that congressmen present that morning will be considered managers.
C. Have a republican read the impeachment documents word by word
D. Vote.
The House chooses their own managers and the Senate has nothing to say about it.

For what it's worth, I don't think it would be at all appropriate for the Senate to get the charges from the newspaper. If the House won't transmit the charges to them, it might arguably be reasonable for the Senate to get the charges from the Congressional Record.
eric76
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It is a trial, and all trials are intended to be conducted at a reasonable pace. It may not Be specifically denoted by the 6th, but it is an ethical standard in practice to not unethically and punitively delay a government proceeding to harm a defendant.
Isn't the most important reason for the right to a speedy trial so that the defendant is not held in jail for longer than necessary to be able to defend himself in court?

Since they aren't going to put Trump in jail while waiting for the trial, that issue is moot.

What other reasons are there for the right to a speedy trial?
eric76
AG
AgNav93 said:

Can she possibly wait until after the 2020 election to see if they get the senate back? Can she wait that long? if that's the case we are now a banana republic. I'm so afraid for our country.
The US is not now and will never be a banana republic.
RC II
S
_mpaul said:

Pfft. Concessions my &*$%. Let it sit.

I thought it was so damn important it had to be done. Now it's so damn important we can't do it?

Nutjobs.
I wish I could give this 1,000 blue stars. the Dims don't want the circus to close and now will dragged it out as long as they think it will disrupt Trump.
NormanAg
AG
Could you explain your reasoning behind that statement? I think you are dead wrong on this one. IMO we ARE headed that way with this impeachment and it's the fault of the Dems AND the msm, which the Dems pretty much control now. You have made some good points on this thread - this was not one of them.
backintexas2013
AG
This is as far from a power play that there is. This is throw up our hands and surrender play. She looks even weaker than before. GJ and Met must be so impressed.
Rockdoc
AG
Ted Cruz just said the senate isn't worried about this. Nancy and the dems kinda shot themselves in the foot on this one. Not very smart.
IDAGG
AG
Here is my take: I have said this before; Pelosi is a shrewd politician. She didn't want to take on impeachment in the first place. She was forced into it by her caucus demanding it. I think that Nancy realized early on that the Senate would acquit and so it would be 1) worthless and 2) blow up in the Dems faces.

So her play now is to hold the articles of impeachment and cry UNFAIR about the Senate rules, etc. That way they can say Trump was impeached AND it keeps the Republicans from being able to say that Trump was acquitted in the Senate. That will be the Dems rallying cry during the election: "HIS CRIMES ARE STILL BEING INVESTIGATED, WE ARE JUST WAITING FOR A FAIR TRIAL TO CONVICT HIM."

She is playing a crappy hand pretty well. But having said that, it is a crappy hand and it will still blow up in the Dems faces.

ETA: The all caps part is my sarcasm font.
eric76
AG
NormanAg said:

Could you explain your reasoning behind that statement? I think you are dead wrong on this one. IMO we ARE headed that way with this impeachment and it's the fault of the Dems AND the msm, which the Dems pretty much control now. You have made some good points on this thread - this was not one of them.
A banana republic is a country who's economy is highly dependent on a single crop or other product that is typically controlled by a single company and with a dictatorial government in which that company has enormous influence. None of those apply to the US and it is not likely that we will ever become such a country.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is also so the process is not the punishment.
IDAGG
AG
eric76 said:

NormanAg said:

A banana republic is a country who's economy is highly dependent on a single crop or other product that is typically controlled by a single company and with a dictatorial government in which that company has enormous influence. None of those apply to the US and it is not likely that we will ever become such a country.
You are taking that term too literally. The common meaning of Banana Republic is a country that is politically unstable and the rule of law is weak.
MouthBQ98
AG
How about the senate completely ignore the impeachment until it is delivered, and go about routine business until it is presented?
eric76
AG
backintexas2013 said:

This is as far from a power play that there is. This is throw up our hands and surrender play. She looks even weaker than before. GJ and Met must be so impressed.
It a crazy move. It's easy to see why they are doing it -- the Senate is not going to convict Trump in the impeachment trial -- but it is likely to come back and bite the Democrats hard down the road.
AgNav93
AG
eric76 said:

AgNav93 said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I think it's already too late.
BusterAg
AG
In my view, Trump has not yet been impeached.

It would be great if McConnell just said, hey, the House still has some work to do before the Senate will consider Trump to have been impeached. They have to bring the charges to complete the process. Until then, any assertion that the President has been impeached is incorrect. The House voted to impeach, but they haven't impeached the POTUS yet.
Satellite of Love
So Pelosi is refusing to allow a man to have his day in court to face his accusers. She wants to dictate what another faction of Congress where she is not a member. This almost seems like obstruction of justice.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
eric76
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

How about the senate completely ignore the impeachment until it is delivered, and go about routine business until it is presented?
They may be stuck with that, but it seems reasonable that there are ways around it.

I don't see why the Senate can't use the publication of the charges and the impeachment in the Congressional Record and have their own power play -- take that as the official notice and notify the House that the trial will commence on such and such a date. If, on that date, the House does not send House managers over to prosecute Trump, then it the Chief Justice would probably have ample reason to dismiss the charges.
eric76
AG
AgNav93 said:

eric76 said:

AgNav93 said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I think it's already too late.
What is our one product? What foreign company controls that product and what dictator do we have that does whatever that foreign company wants him to do?
MouthBQ98
AG
Pelosi is conducting a trial by the public. Imagine a DA that had a public grand jury proceeding and read out the indictment and then did 24/7 media publicity on the indictment without ever bringing charges to a court.

No court in America would tolerate that. But yet, that is what this might become.
Rockdoc
AG
Nancy is a smart politician, but she has nothing on the turtle. Mitch has this, no worries. In the meantime, trumps support is growing every day thanks to the dim dems.
backintexas2013
AG
eric76 said:

backintexas2013 said:

It a crazy move. It's easy to see why they are doing it -- the Senate is not going to convict Trump in the impeachment trial -- but it is likely to come back and bite the Democrats hard down the road.

That's why it's not a power play. Knowing you are going to lose and refusing to play your hand is not and has never been a power play.

The ass whipping they have taken lately is glorious. First Schiff gets bludgeoned because of the IG report and now this.
Wildcat
AG
Nancy wants the drama of the sound her weapon makes when fired, but wants to simultaneously hold on to the projectile.

Cocaine Mitch needs to pull the rug from under this nonsense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.