Nancy Pelosi Just Made a Major Impeachment Power Play

21,720 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hbtheduce
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_mpaul said:

What happens if the House never sends the Articles? Will the public lose interest (more than they already have) and this fades away? How will the public respond to the Dems campaigning on this for the next 11 months? Will the public be turned off by the apparent lack of fairness? What if the Articles have not been sent by the end of this Congress? Do they expire?

Trump and the Senate GOP leadership teabag Nancy and Schiff about it all of 2020.

AustinAg2K
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

I'm not understanding how this is considered a power play or how this strategy will help Democrats in any way...

They voted to impeach, but now refuse take articles to trial

They're literally admitting to playing games at this point
Is there a time limit on how long the impeachment is good for? I'm wondering if she intends on keeping the impeachment until after the election in hopes the Democrats gain a majority in the Senate.
thirdcoast
AG
We will see. I think the media landscape has changed a lot and the GOP did a good job of helping public understand this is a sham. In reality the Dems are just drawing out an inevitable loss, but the narrative that will gain full steam will be the GOP preventing the Dems from getting a fair trial. There are plenty of GOP sound bites to spoon feed that narrative to public.

GOP should completely ignore impeachment discussion and talk about trade, prescriptions, judges, etc.
_mpaul
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I'm not understanding how this is considered a power play or how this strategy will help Democrats in any way...

Is there a time limit on how long the impeachment is good for? I'm wondering if she intends on keeping the impeachment until after the election in hopes the Democrats gain a majority in the Senate.
Great question. I can't imagine it survives past the end of this Congress, much like a bill sent to the Senate from the House but then not acted on.
FTAG 2000
AG
thirdcoast said:

We will see. I think the media landscape has changed a lot and the GOP did a good job of helping public understand this is a sham. In reality the Dems are just drawing out an inevitable loss, but the narrative that will gain full steam will be the GOP preventing the Dems from getting a fair trial. There are plenty of GOP sound bites to spoon feed that narrative to public.

GOP should completely ignore impeachment discussion and talk about trade, prescriptions, judges, etc.

What makes you think they aren't?

While Nancy and Schiff were giving each other reach arounds today, McConnell pushed through 13 federal judge appointments. And the guy will continue to do that every single day while Nancy tries to keep her dentures in her mouth crying about process.

And Trump and co. are going to hammer them about what a sham this all is if they don't have the guts to send it to the Senate. And Trump will do it every single day, taunting Nancy and Schiff all the way (if you watched his rally in Michigan tonight, you got a taste).

The blinders are off for most Americans - the latest Gallup polls have American trust in media in the low to mid 30s percentage wise.

Libs can keep the rah rah crap up, but the majority of Americans see the MSM for the partisan hacks they are these days.
titan
S
AustinAg2K said:

If so, that is futile. It is very difficult to see an election where Trump does win re-election and the GOP loses the Senate.
thirdcoast
AG
The common denominator for the last 3 years is the mainstream media carrying the Dems water. They are going to do everything they can to shape public opinion and distort the GOP's messaging. Fortunately, the left and media still haven't learned they are live in echo chambers in NY, DC and LA media hubs.....and there is a reason Trump sells out arenas for off the cuff rallies.

BuddysBud
AG
Can the Senate just make up rules that are obviously biased, and vote that if the House doesn't bring the case within a certain time (say 3 days), the trial is over?

It's not like the House impeachment process was an open, unbiased investigation with due process and both parties were allowed equal opportunities to present evidence.
PCC_80
AG
No power play here that I see. My opinion is that if the House does not send the Impeachment Letter (or what ever it is called) to the Senate then the Senate has nothing to take up. So nothing from the House means no Trial. That works for me. The House Dems jerked off their Crazy Left Base for a few weeks is all that happened.

Also, Nancy does not get to set the rules in the Senate. Mitch should just tell her to go F&*% Herself.
BanderaAg956
thirdcoast said:

The media is just as biased as they have always been! Yes. Trump tweets and House Republicans pushing back has helped republicans see the bias. Democrats are still brainwashed!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
agent-maroon
AG
Nancy Pelosi worrying about political "fairness". How do these politicos manage to keep a straight face when they say this kind of crap?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
goodag90
AG
Tibbers said:

Sounds like they are waiting on the court cases to resolve so they can get more evidence. After hearing them ***** and moan about a "clear and present danger" and how they debated that they acted so swiftly because they wanted him removed quickly, how will they justify this action
Leftist Thinking - Use deceit to get what you want by breaking the rules and hope no one says you're cheating. Helps to have people in place that agree with your motives in position of oversight. If caught trying to game the system, claim that the oversight is being unfair by doing exactly what you did and cheat some more until you get what you want. Simple.
Law Hall 8G
CanyonAg77
AG
agent-maroon said:

Nancy Pelosi worrying about political "fairness". How do these politicos manage to keep a straight face when they say this kind of crap?
Botox.
eric76
AG
Cassius said:

Where does it say in the Constitution that she has to physically send them over for the trial to begin?

Democrats are dumb as fck and evil as Satan.
You want to begin a trial without the defendant being told the actual charges?

Is your real name Kafka by chance?
eric76
AG
captkirk said:

How is that a power play? Its a no power play
The rules for the impeachment and for the trial may not come under the jurisdiction of any Federal court, but I don't see how that would apply to this.

The House has impeached the President and shouldn't be able to stop the Senate from performing their Constitutional duty to hold the impeachment trial.
eric76
AG
_mpaul said:

AustinAg2K said:

Great question. I can't imagine it survives past the end of this Congress, much like a bill sent to the Senate from the House but then not acted on.
That's not the case at all. Impeachments survive the end of one Congress and into the next Congress.

What would change is that if the trial was going on at the end of one Congress and into the next Congress, any House managers who were no longer in office would have to be replaced. Also, if the Republicans took the House, then they would surely replace the House managers with Republicans.
eric76
AG
BuddysBud said:

Can the Senate just make up rules that are obviously biased, and vote that if the House doesn't bring the case within a certain time (say 3 days), the trial is over?

It's not like the House impeachment process was an open, unbiased investigation with due process and both parties were allowed equal opportunities to present evidence.
Do you really want the Senate to do an end run around the Constitution?

The House impeachment process was screwed up, but not for the reason you think. Do you really believe that someone is denied due process if they are not permitted to be a part of the investigation against them? Let's empty out the prisons if that is true.

And don't forget that the House Judiciary Committee extended an offer to Trump to be represented in their hearings and Trump turned them down. That should pretty much end any nonsense about due process violations.
goodag90
AG
AG 2000' said:

thirdcoast said:

What makes you think they aren't?

While Nancy and Schiff were giving each other reach arounds today, McConnell pushed through 13 federal judge appointments. And the guy will continue to do that every single day while Nancy tries to keep her dentures in her mouth crying about process.

And Trump and co. are going to hammer them about what a sham this all is if they don't have the guts to send it to the Senate. And Trump will do it every single day, taunting Nancy and Schiff all the way (if you watched his rally in Michigan tonight, you got a taste).

The blinders are off for most Americans - the latest Gallup polls have American trust in media in the low to mid 30s percentage wise.

Libs can keep the rah rah crap up, but the majority of Americans see the MSM for the partisan hacks they are these days.
Not disputing your Gallup poll numbers but, I believe they are an average. Below is a link to a Pew Research study that came out last week breaking down who makes up these numbers. Shockingly, conservatives have less trust than liberals in the media and it goes further into by sex, race, economic standing, etc. Pretty interesting and when you look the perspectives and how people vote I'm not so sure the majority see MSM as partisan hacks.
I do and most on TexAgs do but, unfortunately there are a lot people with blinders out there.

https://www.journalism.org/2019/12/12/trusting-the-news-media-in-the-trump-era/
Law Hall 8G
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
eric76 said:

_mpaul said:

AustinAg2K said:

That's not the case at all. Impeachments survive the end of one Congress and into the next Congress.

What would change is that if the trial was going on at the end of one Congress and into the next Congress, any House managers who were no longer in office would have to be replaced. Also, if the Republicans took the House, then they would surely replace the House managers with Republicans.

Where does it say that in the Construction?
If impeachment is a political process and the president is re-elected then the voters (states) have decided. It looks like you, like Nancy, are just making up BS as you go along.
nortex97
AG
McConnell needs to have a press conference (or at least a release) this am before they do vote to 'set aside' their articles in the House. Something to the effect that he is moving forward with setting dates and doesn't need the papers transmitted, it's been logged and voted on in a formal house resolution, his turn.
BuddysBud
AG
eric76 said:

BuddysBud said:

The House impeachment process was screwed up, but not for the reason you think. Do you really believe that someone is denied due process if they are not permitted to be a part of the investigation against them? Let's empty out the prisons if that is true.

And don't forget that the House Judiciary Committee extended an offer to Trump to be represented in their hearings and Trump turned them down. That should pretty much end any nonsense about due process violations.

The House refused the minority party to present evidence that didn't fit their narrative.
The House found no evidence of wrongdoing.
No grand jury in the world would present charges based upon the evidence presented in the House hearings, much of which was done in secret. The Dems repeatedly broke House rules and even rules set by the Dems for this process.
The House Dems have been calling for impeachment since the day Trump was elected. Not one Republican voted for impeachment. It was obviously a partisan hack job that was done to undo the 2016 election.
It was a complete shredding of the Constitution.
Since Nancy set the precedent, so yes to end this farce, I would not mind that the Senate follows the same standards set by the House.

Give me a break about the judiciary committee representation. One witness, a Democrat who does like Trump, shredded the "Orange Man Bad" crying of the other two on a Constitutional basis. What would have council done there.
The Senate should dismiss quickly and then launch an investigation into Schiff and Pelosi.
Owlagdad
Threadbare said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is already floating the implied suggestion that some of the senate Republicans should recuse themselves because they are not impartial.

You can't make this stuff up...

Such spoiled children. So they do not like something? Stomp that foot and whine and cry, not so much to get the object, but to get their way and power. The no's of the camel is in politics, and already they don't like that you have more than them, so they will come for your fortune- already did it with your health care and higher ed. And media is such a mid guided prostitute, they go along, thinking they will get some crumbs.
MouthBQ98
AG
Roberts will rule that the house is violating the president's civil rights and hold the house in contempt. He runs the proceeding.

Imagine a DA announcing an indictment and then sitting on the charges. The judge would trash that case.
lcraggie
AG
I believe Nancy is going to hold the impeachment until the election in order to attempt to keep the Supreme Court open when RBG passes. Nancy knows RBG is not long for the earth and can't have Trump appoint ABC or another conservative Justice to the Supreme Court. She is playing the long game on the court in my opinion. She wants as much distraction as possible for the Supreme Court appointment.
Rangers Lead the Way, NSDQ

nortex97
AG
Never mind, I see Mitch is doing so @ 8:30 central from the Senate floor. This should be entertaining.

Engine10
AG
Popcorn time boys
Stressboy
AG
eric76 said:

BuddysBud said:

Hey Eric where do you stand on the 6th Amendment that guarantees a speedy trial. By purposely not allowing this to go to the senate for trial the house is violating the 6th. If I was trump I would immediately appeal to the Supreme Court to ensure a speedy trial.
nortex97
AG
Due process protections are there for the defendant at trial, not the state, for you lefties who aren't lawyers out there thinking somehow Pelosi/Schiff 'deserve' to have their precious baby treated 'fairly.'
Get Off My Lawn
A. Set the date
B. Tell pelosi that congressmen present that morning will be considered managers.
C. Have a republican read the impeachment documents word by word
D. Vote.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
1. I think she's actually going to delay to make it a ballot box issue for November, to try and rile up the base of TDS socialists. (we need to vote in a senate that will act!!)

2. Trump should sue for a "speedy trial"
spider96
AG
eric76 said:

Cassius said:

Where does it say in the Constitution that she has to physically send them over for the trial to begin?

The impeachment resolution has already been published and voted on. I'm quite certain Trump knows why he's been impeached. The text of the Constitution doesn't say anything about the Senate having to be physically presented with the impeachment resolution.
4stringAg
AG
nortex97 said:

McConnell needs to have a press conference (or at least a release) this am before they do vote to 'set aside' their articles in the House. Something to the effect that he is moving forward with setting dates and doesn't need the papers transmitted, it's been logged and voted on in a formal house resolution, his turn.

I think he's supposed to speak about it on the Senate floor today.
Cassius
eric76 said:

Cassius said:

The charges are in the articles, which are public. hth
AgFan2015
If we are going to live in a banana republic, might as well make it a reality. Trump needs to take one for the team and go full Stalin on these clowns (Current house and former Administration). Round them all up in the middle of the night, take them to a back alley and put bullets in their heads and then Tweet "I've changed my view on late term abortion. Who's going to impeach me now, *****es!!!"

Call it a compromise w the Libs in the country, on one side the swamp is drained and on the other Trump is removed from office for being completely and utterly insane. A true win-win for both sides....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.