Nancy Pelosi Just Made a Major Impeachment Power Play

21,011 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hbtheduce
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Minutes after the House voted to impeach President Trump, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) dropped a bombshell: She won't send the articles of impeachment to the Senate until she feels they'll get a fair hearing on the other side of Capitol Hill.

"We have legislation approved by the Rules Committee that will enable us to decide how we will send over the articles of impeachment," Pelosi announced in a Wednesday night press conference. "We cannot name [impeachment] managers until we see what the process is on the Senate side."

The move could delay a Senate trial and is a move by House Democratic leaders to try to leverage their power to force Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to make concessions on how the trial will be run

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8z5w/nancy-pelosi-just-made-a-major-impeachment-power-play
_mpaul
AG
Pfft. Concessions my &*$%. Let it sit.

I thought it was so damn important it had to be done. Now it's so damn important we can't do it?

Nutjobs.
Cassius
Where does it say in the Constitution that she has to physically send them over for the trial to begin?

Democrats are dumb as fck and evil as Satan.
aggie93
AG
This sounds great and all but McConnell is going to set the terms and wait on Pelosi. If Pelosi decides not to send the impeachment the GOP will ridicule her daily and make her look like a complete idiot because she has no leverage and her argument is beyond stupid. This is pure desperation and is doomed to fail.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Little Rock Ag
AG
Cassius said:

Where does it say in the Constitution that she has to physically send them over for the trial to begin?

Democrats are dumb as fck and evil as Satan.
Agreed. The Senate needs to take this up immediately and acquit Trump. There is absolutely nothing the House can do to stop them.
Cassius
_mpaul said:

Pfft. Concessions my &*$%. Let it sit.

I thought it was so damn important it had to be done. Now it's so damn important we can do it?

Nutjobs.

Nah man, "we would send them over but we are concerned the Senate is biased and will allow Trump to walk"

OK then dumb btch, let the country decide after the trial.
policywonk98
AG
If by power play you mean a feeble attempt at circumventing checks and balances. Yes, yes she did. It actually goes right along with impeaching a sitting president over hearsay and feelings.
HeardAboutPerio
AG
If the senate gives any concessions to the house on this after the manner in which the house dems conducted this proceeding, i will be absolutely flummoxed and the republicans will deserve to never have a majority again.
_mpaul
AG
It might be in the Senate rules, but you're right. If it's not, just consider it anyway. I wouldn't change the rules, though.

It's probably the same process for sending a bill to the Senate.
SA68AG
AG
And why does the Senate give a **** whether she delays it or not ?

The longer she delays, the more it will interfere with the Dem presidential candidates efforts.
APHIS AG
In other words, impeachment ends with Congress and the Senate never sees it.

I do not know who is advising the Democrats but to keep reminding the public of Trumps impeachment without due process in the Senate is just putting more logs on the fire.

Thank God for TDS.
oldcrow91
AG
Sounds like obstruction of the senate. We must impeach Nancy.
_mpaul
AG
What happens if the House never sends the Articles? Will the public lose interest (more than they already have) and this fades away? How will the public respond to the Dems campaigning on this for the next 11 months? Will the public be turned off by the apparent lack of fairness? What if the Articles have not been sent by the end of this Congress? Do they expire?
dreyOO
If by "leverage their power", they mean "***** and moan on the sidelines"...

Then by all means. Go for it.

Idiots.
Cy_Tolliver
I hope the senate spends an entire day dropping a virtual deuce on pelosi then essentially drops the mic in a dismissal at end of day
4stringAg
AG
She is going to try to help Schumer get leverage on McConnell in order to try to get witnesses like Mulvaney, Bolton etc to testify at a Senate trial as they think they hold the smoking gun in all this.
Threadbare
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is already floating the implied suggestion that some of the senate Republicans should recuse themselves because they are not impartial.

You can't make this stuff up...
captkirk
AG
How is that a power play? Its a no power play
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
HumpitPuryear
AG
In other words the American public will decide whether or not to remove the president in about 11 months. Novel idea.

What happened to REEEE it's an emergency!!! ???
FriscoKid
AG
Threadbare said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is already floating the implied suggestion that some of the senate Republicans should recuse themselves because they are not impartial.

Speaking of recusing themselves.
titan
S
aggie93 said:

This sounds great and all but McConnell is going to set the terms and wait on Pelosi. If Pelosi decides not to send the impeachment the GOP will ridicule her daily and make her look like a complete idiot because she has no leverage and her argument is beyond stupid. This is pure desperation and is doomed to fail.
It is Democrats that have losses to their campaigns that will result from a long delay of this. Trump and the center and right will ignore it. If she holds things up, she will be keeping candidates from their campaign work and reps from actions supporting those same endeavors.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
aggie93
AG
Threadbare said:

At the same time though Sanders, Klobuchar, Warren, Booker, and Harris are TOTALLY objective and should still sit as jurors.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Tibbers
Sounds like they are waiting on the court cases to resolve so they can get more evidence. After hearing them ***** and moan about a "clear and present danger" and how they debated that they acted so swiftly because they wanted him removed quickly, how will they justify this action?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
The clown car continues to roll.
4stringAg
AG
Threadbare said:

What about Schumer, Harris, Booker, Warren, Sanders, et al who have all been on record supporting his impeachment?
captkirk
AG
Threadbare said:

RBG has some brass ones giving others advice on impartiality
Threadbare
aggie93 said:

Threadbare said:

At the same time though Sanders, Klobuchar, Warren, Booker, and Harris are TOTALLY objective and should still sit as jurors.
I believe that McConnell and Graham both said they are not impartial because it's so obviously a politically motivated set-up that it has no legitimacy.

For such a supposedly brilliant legal mind, Ginsburg is either not that bright or very mendacious...
thirdcoast
AG
Don't forget that she made that decision "solemnly" with "profound sadness", after careful "prayer". Has nothing to do with politics.
thirdcoast
AG
This strategy will only work because the left has the entire media on their side to keep impeachment lingering in headlines even though everyone knows it's been dead on arrival.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I'm not understanding how this is considered a power play or how this strategy will help Democrats in any way...

They voted to impeach, but now refuse take articles to trial

They're literally admitting to playing games at this point
aggie appraiser
She's such a moran that she is going to lose the majority and speakership twice.
Threadbare
4stringAg said:

Threadbare said:

What about Schumer, Harris, Booker, Warren, Sanders, et al who have all been on record supporting his impeachment?
They are democrat Senators.

They are the wisest, most virtuous, guileless paragons of enlightened humanity on the planet.

They are not subject to the kinds of misconceptions, prejudices, and passions that all the rest of us suffer.

I think you should go wash your hands after typing such an insolent and benighted aspersion...
FTAG 2000
AG
thirdcoast said:

This strategy will only work because the left has the entire media on their side to keep impeachment lingering in headlines even though everyone knows it's been dead on arrival.
You serious clark?

Trump's approval rating is up eight points (EIGHT!) since Schiff started his kangaroo court a couple of weeks ago.

If they don't send to the Senate, Trump and the Senate are just going to clown on them for confirming it's a political sham if they won't send it over.

To quote Q, these people are dumb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.