*****Official Funny Political Tweet Thread*****

10,016,504 Views | 80690 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by JPAg88
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I vaguely remember having some backdoor phone number to the registration system that less people used. It wasn't foolproof, but it got you in line faster...

And you had to have planned your schedule far in advance and know the codes and classes, and backup options in case one filled up.

Great times.
TRADUCTOR
Long ass line outside the pavilion to register for class was only one notch below scrambling to find a phone that had the 845 university extension hack.
usmcbrooks
annie88 said:

JPAg88
AG
What a nightmare that was…ugghhh!
annie88
AG
annie88
AG
Ulysses90 said:

BuddysBud said:

annie88 said:

Rotary phone would be 1960's and 70's.
Most phones were push button in the 80's

At my parents house, our rotary dial phones didn't even have an RJ11 modular plug. The cord went into a straight round hole. It wasn't until after the break-up of AT&T in 1982 that cheap touch tone phones started to become available that we got modular phone jacks installed and retired the old rotary phones. The touch-tone phones in the dorms at A&M were relatively modern.

For those of you too young to remember, Texas A&M was on the cutting edge of technology with their touch tone phone system for class registration. As soon as registration opened for your class and then block with the first letter of your last name, the switchboard was jammed with people manually redialing to get it and often dialing wrong numbers. Good times.

https://m.soundcloud.com/count-counterpoint/tamu-sims-prank-calls/s-5zT2X
I remember the first time I did the touchtone registration system, I think it was 1986-87. I didn't trust it at all. But it did work. You would register on a particular day depending on your class year. However, my freshman year 1984 to 1985. You would still have to go over to the pavilion to do an ad drop and it would take till the next day. There were computers, but they were huge ones like word processor-looking ones. I even thought that was cutting edge.

And when I had a meal plan at SBISA, you could actually swipe your student ID which if you think about it in 1984 is pretty good. They also gave you a student ID number initially instead of just your Social Security number.

Another thing I remember is they would post your grades by your Social Security number. This is before the Internet and before most people had any computers other than word processors so wouldn't that big of a deal but they thought that that was actually better than putting your name.

I've had both my Social Security number and Texas drivers license number memorized since then because they used it so much.
drcrinum

JPAg88
AG

annie88
AG
annie88
AG
drcrinum said:

That one was really good.
45-70Ag
AG
Ulysses90
AG
I have the same recollection of the last in person registration at the Pavillion in fall 1986. I also remember the grades being posted by SSN.

Those are strange artifacts of student life at TAMU in the 1980s that also included waiting in the print queue at Sterling C. Evans to peint your paper on one of the two laser printers in the entire library. The print queue was a network queue of print jobs, it was a line of students along the wall holding floppy disks waiting their turn to insert it into the one computer connected to the LaserJet III and load the document in WordStar or WordPerfect to print it. The printer queue could take the better part of an hour when term papers were due. The alternative was using the dot matrix printers that were at most computers in the library computing center. The print quality was low and you had to bring your own ribbon (or a small can of WD-40 to give new life to a worn out ribbon). The noise of dot matrix printers and fanfold paper feeding was a constant drone in that room
nortex97
AG

Oh Democrats…
mooney69
AG
In 1965 registration was standing in long lines at the Coke Bldg, the Bookstore, and Loupot's. LONG lines. Only paper transactions. It helped that there were only about 13-16,000 students, but still…
Mooney69
Ulysses90
AG
drcrinum said:

Leaked video from Klau Schwab's bunker in Davos.
Biz Ag
AG
Quote:

If you lived in an area where GTE was the provider, I have no idea
GTE was the local phone service provider in BCS when I was in school. You could buy a Mickey Mouse phone from them. Which was appropriate because everyone referred to GTE as the "Mickey Mouse Phone Company"

captkirk
AG
aggiehawg said:

He has a handicap all right but not in his golf game.
He meant his brain function was that of a 6 year old
CanyonAg77
AG
captkirk said:

aggiehawg said:

He has a handicap all right but not in his golf game.
He meant his brain function was that of a 6 year old
He meant he wanted to sniff a six year old
captkirk
AG
Smoochie-Wallace II said:

captkirk
AG
BuddysBud said:

annie88 said:

Rotary phone would be 1960's and 70's.
Most phones were push button in the 80's
Not true
Texas Yarddog
AG
Heck, hand out baseball bats and ax handles.

Not that any of those beta could swing em.
aggiedata
AG
We saw this happen in less than 2 weeks

annie88
AG
Ag83
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
drcrinum said:

That was AWESOME! SAVAGE and SAVVY! Holy hell.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
JPAg88 said:

What a nightmare that was…ugghhh!

I loved speed dialing on a rotary phone. Quite a challenge!

Ag83
AG
CoppellAg93
AG
HunterAggie
Speaking of AT&T vs MCI, here is my humble salesperson brag.

One of my part time jobs while going to college in the late 70's / early 80's was selling MCI discount long distance phone plans.

You had to dial an "800" long distance #, wait for the tone, then dial in another 9 - 10 digit "discount code", wait for the tone and then dial the long distance # of the person you were calling. About 30 numbers in total - and all on a rotary dial phone.

All to get a 10% discount on long distance during business hours and about "25-30%" at nights and on weekends.

Yes, I sold those plans.
outofstateaggie
AG
cecil77
AG
HunterAggie said:

Speaking of AT&T vs MCI, here is my humble salesperson brag.

One of my part time jobs while going to college in the late 70's / early 80's was selling MCI discount long distance phone plans.

You had to dial an "800" long distance #, wait for the tone, then dial in another 9 - 10 digit "discount code", wait for the tone and then dial the long distance # of the person you were calling. About 30 numbers in total - and all on a rotary dial phone.

All to get a 10% discount on long distance during business hours and about "25-30%" at nights and on weekends.

Yes, I sold those plans.

John LIthgow MCI commercial
annie88
AG
annie88
AG
aggiedata
AG
I can relate

aggiedata
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 2133 of 2306

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.